George Passmore

Honolulu, HI

#61 Apr 7, 2009
I want to thank everyone who has given their heartfelt remarks concerning Tommy. Many are not aware of Tommy's accomplishments, but I am old enough to remember Tommy before he became ill. Tommy was one of the best strdents in all three different high schools he attended, Hayesville NC, East Hall in Gainesville Georgia, and Englewood in Jacksonville Florida. Tommy recieved most of the top awards offered from each of those scools and Tommy attended the Governors Honors Program in Georgia. His IQ equalled or surpassed many known academics. Tommy was one of the best brothers anyone could have and never missed an opportunity to let me know of his love for me and my family, even though his illness often left him in contrast to the norms. I have seen genuine love and understanding from many on this board and other forums and appreciate all of the positive remarks. The negative remarks I will leave to the conscious's of the writers. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
George A. Passmore
curious george

Jefferson, GA

#62 Apr 20, 2009
Does anyone know if someone got the bridge named after Tommy?,,AND NO,,ITS too far for me to look.
joker

Hahira, GA

#63 Apr 20, 2009
yeh sure they did. and then they closed it down because it wasn't right. hahaha
uhh

Jefferson, GA

#64 Apr 20, 2009
joker wrote:
yeh sure they did. and then they closed it down because it wasn't right. hahaha
and neither are you
Friend of Passmore

Mililani, HI

#65 Jul 29, 2009
ur funny wrote:
You don't name bridges after crazy people. It's the Pat Colwell bridge already. There is no need for a new name on it.
In Hawaii we call people like you IGNORANT! Be greatful for what you have, because The Lord can take it all in one fell swoop! Don't be a hater because no one wants to name anything of worth after you!
Passionate Mars

Blairsville, GA

#66 Jul 29, 2009
We call them the same thing here, as well as, cruel. Tommy was as loved by God as anyone on this earth. He had a great passion and zest for life that certainly displayed more inner peace than those who jeered at him and then his memory. Tommy suffered in this life, and I am sure his last days were filled with pain. He looked frail the last few times that I saw him. God honored his suffering and called him home where Tommy could find peace, joy, and be restored to complete health.
BIG FAT DUH

Dahlonega, GA

#67 Jul 29, 2009
Tommy ALWAYS spoke and was VERY kind,,not many can say that about theirselves,,,Eveytime I saw him I knew I was going to get a smile and a hello,Cant say that about everyone....Every family member I know of his, are the same way.
Not Perfect

Dawsonville, GA

#68 Jul 29, 2009
We really miss seeing Tommy on Pat Colwell Road and around town. Those of you who say unkind things about Tommy have my sympathy and prayers. A car accident or something could happen to you that would put you in much worse shape than Tommy was in. He was a much better person than you because he NEVER went around saying bad things about others. You are so cruel.
Passionate Mars

Blairsville, GA

#69 Jul 30, 2009
I totally agree with Not Perfect; Tommy was never judgmental of others. I never saw him say or do a cruel thing in his life. I think Christ charged his followers to be kind to those less fortunate than themselves for the lowest of the low represented Him. He told us to love one another, and the world would be a better place if we did this. AND, before anyone points out that Tommy was responsible for his condition again recall that Christ walked among those scorned by society. Tommy is at peace now with Christ; he is in a wonderful place which none of us can fathom its delights.
Peace

Perry, GA

#70 Jul 31, 2009
Thinking of family.
donkey

Dawsonville, GA

#71 Jul 31, 2009
I never knew his name but I gave Tommy several rides from town to the bridge but he never would let me go out of my way to take him any further. You people are really shocking me talking about him being crazy. I could see plain, that he had trouble coordinating his body but he carried on a very intelligent conservation with me and my wife every time we talked to him. My very best friend in my life had the same coordination problems, and some, who didnít know him, labeled him as retarded. Some of these hateful posters I label in the retarded class, not Tommy.
Passionate Mars

Fitzgerald, GA

#72 Aug 2, 2009
Tommy had his fair share of problems; this is true. However, he was never cruel. It would be good if some who berate him would read Christ's words that go along the lines of "what you do to the least among you, you do also unto me.." It never hurts to be kinder than necessary. I am thankful that I knew Tommy and than I certainly never did anything hurtful to him or his family. He was a loving and kind man.
My 2cents

Blairsville, GA

#73 Aug 2, 2009
if y'all want to be a good friend of tommy then let this topic die and quit adding to it. it was done and forgotten until someone dug it out of the Topix trash and brought it back up to the top. whoever that was wasn't no friend of the family I can tell you.
Donna Lawson

Gainesville, GA

#74 Jul 22, 2013
Tommy was in my Junior Class at East Hall High School In Gainesville, Ga. in 1965 and moved to Jacksonville, Fla. I believe at the beginning of his senior year. He was one of my good friends, he was funny, had an excellent sense of humor, was in the Beta Club and on the Governor's board. Everybody loved him and he loved them back. The people of Blairsville got one of the best in my opinion. I was sad to learn that he had passed away....my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He's singing Jesus Loves Me Now in Heaven. Good Bye Ole Friend.....I'll see you again someday.
Donna Lawson

Gainesville, GA

#75 Jul 22, 2013
I knew Tommy from East Hall High School.....he was a good friend of mine. I didn't know until a few days ago that he had passed away. I will always remember him as a kind and gentle man and he had such a great sense of humor. We have a East Hall Memory Board and I posted that he had passed away, for many had ask about him. I didn't know that he had not been doing well. If you have FB I am on there as Donna Jones Lawson if you want to send me a friend's request (let me know who you are) and I will get you to the link of The Memory Board. Please know that you all are in our prayers and that we are sad to learn this news. He was a man of character and we all miss him. I hope they named a bridge for him.
Donna Jones Lawson

Gainesville, GA

#76 Jul 22, 2013
Just want to reply to George Passmore.......Tommy was a classmate of mine at East Hall and he was a good friend. So smart and funny and he love to make people laugh. I only learned of his passing a few days ago and wanted you to know we all are sad to hear this sad news. You and your family are in our prayers. We have a East Hall Memory Board........please put it up and post something in Tommy's Memory. I have posted that he passed away.....many people had ask where he had gotten to.
Neil Copeland

Gainesville, GA

#77 Jul 23, 2013
Donna sent me a link to this thread and I couldn't let it pass without leaving a comment of my own. I was also a classmate of Tommy Passmore at East Hall High and was the other student chosen to go to the Georgia Governor's Honors Program during the summer of 1965.

I'll always remember Tommy as a great guy who was a lot of fun to be around, was always cheerful and had a load of artistic talent. He and I were both art students and his work was always better than mine. I admired his skill and was proud to attend GHP with him that summer. Tommy left East Hall before our senior year there and I always wondered where he went and what he did after he left. I'm sad to hear of his troubles and of his passing. In my mind, he will always be a kind hearted, funny and talented person.
Nuts

Canton, GA

#78 Jul 24, 2013
How about coming and getting the rest of the Passmore's and take them to Hawaii , so you can all be together and appreciate the great accomplishments of the Passmore DNA?
George Passmore wrote:
I want to thank everyone who has given their heartfelt remarks concerning Tommy. Many are not aware of Tommy's accomplishments, but I am old enough to remember Tommy before he became ill. Tommy was one of the best strdents in all three different high schools he attended, Hayesville NC, East Hall in Gainesville Georgia, and Englewood in Jacksonville Florida. Tommy recieved most of the top awards offered from each of those scools and Tommy attended the Governors Honors Program in Georgia. His IQ equalled or surpassed many known academics. Tommy was one of the best brothers anyone could have and never missed an opportunity to let me know of his love for me and my family, even though his illness often left him in contrast to the norms. I have seen genuine love and understanding from many on this board and other forums and appreciate all of the positive remarks. The negative remarks I will leave to the conscious's of the writers. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
George A. Passmore
Ross Arnold

Manchester, NH

#79 Jul 28, 2013
Wow!

It blows my mind, the negative crap I am reading here! Fortunately, there are so many beautiful and thoughtful posts to set the record straight! I left Blairsville 32 years ago and I have vivid memories of what a nice man Tommy was. My dad came to Blairsville as a long haired hippie in the early seventies. Not exactly the best time to be a hippie in a small Appalachian town! The Passmores treated him like a son and I used to love going over there.
The Passmore woman? As I recall they were beautiful girls and as sweet as could be!
Mental illness touches us all. If you don't have it, you have a close relative that does...This is a fact you can verify anywhere...How blessed are you all to have been around someone that carried this burden with such a gracious heart and a kind word and a smile for anyone. How blessed are your children to have been given an example of how to take what life gives you, do your best and treat people with dignity and respect...!
I'd say shame on all of you that would make a mockery of this man, but, you have already shamed yourselves...
Ross Arnold

Manchester, NH

#80 Jul 28, 2013
George Passmore wrote:
George A. Passmore
I realize that this post is quite old, but, on the offhand chance that you are reading here, I want you to know something; This post brought tears to my eyes. What an amazingly eloquent and beautifully written tribute to a very gifted man and brother!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mickey Cummings = RINO 23 min John 716
Mickey Cummings weekly column in the North Geor... 2 hr OathKeeper 21
Go vote 3 hr Voted 7
False CPS allegations 4 hr Broken Do-Gooder 2
ESPLOST. Friend or Foe? 4 hr Honest Abe 31
vote them out 5 hr WTN 55
School shootings 6 hr Oracle 3
Court house 9 hr Liar 8

Blairsville Jobs

Personal Finance