|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Obviously you both skipped 3rd Grade in Union Elementary. The numbers from page 53 say "0.10%, not "10%". They say "0.10%". Here's a quick remedial math lesson for you two:
10%= ten percent = 1 out of every ten
0.10%= 1/10 of 1 percent = 1 out of 1000
Would you two geniuses care to go back and review the document and try again to decipher what the report is saying? I know - but I am not sure either of you has the capacity to figure it out.
Can anyone here interpret what the report is saying, and to be precise, the Union County numbers from that table are NOT on page 53, but are on page 57, "Union" being at the end of the alphabet and towards the end of the chart.
While there is no sure fire way to determine an accurate number of dollars and percentages that out of county residents spend in any particular county, the link provided is the best estimate any organization has come up with that comes close to an accurate number of percentages.

Good name for you and your post proves it.
The dewey decimal system has confused many a person, sorry you have met your match.
Page 57 is a part of the Appendices, page 53 has Union county on it.
The total for all counties listed is 100%.

Using your computer calculator:
multiply 100 * 10 and select the % key and you will get 10.
Now:
multiply 100 *.10 and select the = key and you will get 10.

10% is 10% both ways
The 1/10 percent you reference is on a State level in relation to all the other counties.
See page 46 of that report for dollar amounts and see if you can decipher percentages from it, good luck! I think you are going to need it.
bogus my politicians

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Your take on that is better than mine I'm sure. Just wondering.
I am worried that the advent of Internet shopping, eBay, Amazon, etc. are eventually going to destroy small business and local sales tax revenues.
This Christmas, my wife,(who travels a lot), ordered the majority of Christmas gifts using her iPhone Amazon app.
the app automatically shipped the stuff to the cabin, automatically billed the credit card, which is automatically paid by direct payment from the checking account.
She loved it, I hated it, no "Christmas Story" family shopping at all; less business for local stores; and sales tax revenues.
Wondered what your forecast would be now that Internet controls the world ?
Thank God they can't provide hot French Toast on Amazon.
I'm right on with you about all you've said. That's one reason that I'm against raising sales taxes to the point that people will increasingly avoid them by shopping online. It may bring sales tax revenue in and that gets the most publicity because it's a "hard" figure. However, the great intangible figure is the loss of business linked to the internet shopping to avoid, in part, sales taxes. When businesses lose money and/or close, it hurts the local economy. In the long run, it may be detrimental to have add-on sales taxes after a certain point.
Clueless

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Page 46 simply ranks the counties, so I don't even know where to begin in responding to the nonsensical babble you spouted in regards to that, especially since there is no mention of 1/10 percent there.

The report on Page 53 (Page 57 of the actual document) said, "0.10%"

You MISREAD it, and MISREPORTED it as 10%.

You further MISINTERPRETED it when you claimed that it, "shows visitors or tourists pay 10% of sales taxes in Union County, the rest is paid by locals."

What it actully shows is what percentage is collected by Union County compared to the entire State of Georgia collections. Your misinterpretation above not only doesn't get the percentage right (10% vs 0.10%) it doesn't even get the concept of what is being measured correct.

But you are doing a good job of TRYING to accomplish your goal - trying to change the subject away from holding the BOE accountaable, freezing their funds, and cutting their paychecks.

But I am afraid your attempts to confuse facts with falsity is falling flat. Most people have more simple common sense. They know money is being wasted.
AGREE

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

1) Across the board 5% paycut for everyone making over $50,000
2) Pay as you go - no more advance loans with $2.5 million interest charges

No more money from extra taxes until BOE proves it can wisely use the $29,000,000 budget it already has.
Knows

Commerce, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Add to that to stop treating the kids like pay vouchers. Kids are there to learn, not to be counted for collecting money from the state and federal governments with. In this terrible flu season we are having, the school sends home notes saying your kid missed too many days and now you need doctor notes for any absence or threatens to charge you $20 - 100 for unexcused absences.

“All we ask is to be left alone”

Since: Feb 12

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

The most recent debate has been interesting, but in my view, distracts from the immediate and most primary and pressing issue.

Distractions from issues of accountability by the overseers, appropriate fund usage, need vs. desire, or negligence and/or misappropriation are counterproductive to quickly providing reliable foundational information, if we, as a community, are to express our dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs.

Recently we elected a New Sheriff and Tax Commissioner. If we wish to continue and seek a better more efficient government, it is paramount to approach the E-SPLOST from a pragmatic united and informed front.

If necessary defeat of the E-SPLOST, if only on a temporary basis, until we feel confident that we have in place those who will honor our wishes in the administration of the funding, we voted to allow them to use.

It must be clearly understood that this additional 1% tax is a choice that we may periodically withdraw when we feel our wishes are not being respected.

Again, in my view, we need those who did such an excellent job in providing reliable information, and taking a significant part in defeating the T-SPLOST to again take the lead and champion this effort.

A link for clarification, maybe discussion of this could move to another thread.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>Informed Opinion wrote, "<quoted text>
Great post.
It confirms what has been said .....Made my day to see actual facts presented on TOPIX.
"

Obviously you both skipped 3rd Grade in Union Elementary. The numbers from page 53 say "0.10%, not "10%". They say "0.10%". Here's a quick remedial math lesson for you two:

10%= ten percent = 1 out of every ten

0.10%= 1/10 of 1 percent = 1 out of 1000

Would you two geniuses care to go back and review the document and try again to decipher what the report is saying? I know - but I am not sure either of you has the capacity to figure it out.

Can anyone here interpret what the report is saying, and to be precise, the Union County numbers from that table are NOT on page 53, but are on page 57, "Union" being at the end of the alphabet and towards the end of the chart.
Reading comprehension is so difficult I understand.

But please, put down the "special" pipe, turn off the "Meter Maids in Bondage" video, and try to follow along.

I stated,(now for the 3rd or 4th time, that tourists and part-time residents pay substantial sales taxes, but less than full-time residents. The question is whether they pay enough in sales taxes to make it efficient to increase sales taxes to replace property tax revenue.

The report confirms what I stated - that "travelers" pay substantial sale taxes.

I stated the report confirmed my hypothesis, because, it confirmed my hypothesis.

You're embarrassed now, but consider it a learning experience.

Next time before you spoke the ball - make sure your in the end zone.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

AGREE wrote:
1) Across the board 5% paycut for everyone making over $50,000
2) Pay as you go - no more advance loans with $2.5 million interest charges
No more money from extra taxes until BOE proves it can wisely use the $29,000,000 budget it already has.
This would be a good start
elost

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

How do optional sale taxes compare to property taxes in real dollars??????????
Union county has 3% optional sale taxes.
1%, LOST, for property tax reduction.
1%, SPLOST, for local government to use.
1%, ELOST, for local Education to use.
3% total.

If a person spends $30k in the county for living expenses which include everything you spend money on with the exception of a mortgage or car payment, your total 3% sale tax will be $900 for the year.

Does anyone really, really think if those taxes were voted down that local elected officials would raise property taxes by $900 to make up for their wild spending?

I don't think so and neither does anyone I know think so.
Sales tax revenue is designed for special projects, not as an ongoing tax to be used as a LARGE office fund for government officials to waste a large part of it toward interest payments.
AGREE

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

elost wrote:
3% total.
If a person spends $30k in the county for living expenses which include everything you spend money on with the exception of a mortgage or car payment, your total 3% sale tax will be $900 for the year.
Does anyone really, really think if those taxes were voted down that local elected officials would raise property taxes by $900 to make up for their wild spending?
Sales tax revenue is designed for special projects, not as an ongoing tax to be used as a LARGE office fund for government officials to waste a large part of it toward interest payments.
You are correct. That is their ace in the hole, that subtle threat that says, "Pass this tax or we will raise your property taxes to the moon."

The tax isn't needed. They also just got Special Projects galore funded through SPLOST. If they want more money, then let them cut salaries across the board on everyne over $50,000 by 5%. Then let them implement a pay as you go project plan. I guarantee you we will start seeing actual thought and priority of need being put into the planning budget - for the first time in a long time.
Interested

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. That is their ace in the hole, that subtle threat that says, "Pass this tax or we will raise your property taxes to the moon."
The tax isn't needed. They also just got Special Projects galore funded through SPLOST. If they want more money, then let them cut salaries across the board on everyne over $50,000 by 5%. Then let them implement a pay as you go project plan. I guarantee you we will start seeing actual thought and priority of need being put into the planning budget - for the first time in a long time.
Would someone cut and paste the school salaries that were posted on topix several months ago ? I think we all need that reminder.
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

"then let them cut salaries across the board on everyone over $50,000 by 5%"

What an interesting concept, a salary cap, this must be one of the foundation stones of a Free Market Economy where any restrictions or regulations are truely a sign of impending communism. It is wonderfully amusing to see what it takes for folks to change their tune. Now, surely there is broad support to impose this salary cap across the board on all public employees, elected officials, professionals, celebraties, and private employers.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
"then let them cut salaries across the board on everyone over $50,000 by 5%"
What an interesting concept, a salary cap, this must be one of the foundation stones of a Free Market Economy where any restrictions or regulations are truely a sign of impending communism. It is wonderfully amusing to see what it takes for folks to change their tune. Now, surely there is broad support to impose this salary cap across the board on all public employees, elected officials, professionals, celebraties, and private employers.
Yes, you have grasped the principle! In a free market economy, when demand is high and economy good then wages and employemnt rise. When the economy is tanking, then taxable income shrinks because the citizens have lost jobs, are tightening their belts, spend less money etc. Consequently, those that live off the citizens taxes (the public sector) have their wages cut in line with the shrinkage in the overall economy.

But the american public sector isn't freemarket is it. No. It is built upon this insane notion that no matter what goes on, no matter if economies and markets tank, or unemployment skyrockets, or wars are fought or debt is through the roof - public employees believe that their wages are guaranteed to rise year after year. Like spoiled little pigs at the trough they consider it blasphemy that they should be subject to the overall economy like the lowly citizens they serve.

Time for a change. Economy is in the weeds. The general public is hurting. Time to spread the pain a bit and expect pay cuts for ALL public sector employees over $50,000 year.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

And it isn't a salary cap. It is a temporary adjustment just like everyone has else has been forced to make. The arrogance and entitled whininess of some of the higher paid elites in the public sector is disgusting.

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

elost wrote:
3% total.
Excellent points.

We often forget that each of these specific additional revenue raising taxing schemes were originally sold as temporary measures supposedly for particular projects over explicit time frames and expected to expire.

The idea being that the normal budget would not be affected or could is possibly reduced upon the completion of the project and the term of the temporary 1% tax.

Of course, as we have seen, and should have known Ė NO TAX IS TEMPORARY.

You bring another point to light, what is the proper reference to this tax? Is it ESPLOST or as you identify as ELOST? I would think depending upon the legislative mandates it would make some difference.

Again time is short if we, as a Community, find it necessary to deny its renewal.
elost

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Maybe- wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent points.
We often forget that each of these specific additional revenue raising taxing schemes were originally sold as temporary measures supposedly for particular projects over explicit time frames and expected to expire.
The idea being that the normal budget would not be affected or could is possibly reduced upon the completion of the project and the term of the temporary 1% tax.
Of course, as we have seen, and should have known Ė NO TAX IS TEMPORARY.
You bring another point to light, what is the proper reference to this tax? Is it ESPLOST or as you identify as ELOST? I would think depending upon the legislative mandates it would make some difference.
Again time is short if we, as a Community, find it necessary to deny its renewal.

ESPLOST OR ELOST are one and the same 1% sales ta; often referred too using the 2 different names.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Can anyone point me to a copy of the referendum as voted on / as passed, etc? ESPLOST/ELOST? I've tried Google / Yahoo under every combination I could think of - and all reference seems to be removed. We need more facts.

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

elost wrote:
<quoted text>
ESPLOST OR ELOST are one and the same 1% sales ta; often referred too using the 2 different names.
Ok.

I was of the understanding that a Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) was somewhat different in nature than a Local Option Sales Tax (LOST). Possibly usage designation, I donít know.

Nevertheless, the issue at hand is defeat of renewal, should abuse, misuse, and/or misappropriation be evidenced, and the Community determines to deny renewal, until or unless more reliable and transparent administration of the funding and projects are acquired.
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Yes, you have grasped the principle! In a free market economy, when demand is high and economy good then wages and employemnt rise. When the economy is tanking, then taxable income shrinks because the citizens have lost jobs, are tightening their belts, spend less money etc. Consequently, those that live off the citizens taxes (the public sector) have their wages cut in line with the shrinkage in the overall economy.
But the american public sector isn't freemarket is it. No. It is built upon this insane notion that no matter what goes on, no matter if economies and markets tank, or unemployment skyrockets, or wars are fought or debt is through the roof - public employees believe that their wages are guaranteed to rise year after year. Like spoiled little pigs at the trough they consider it blasphemy that they should be subject to the overall economy like the lowly citizens they serve.
Time for a change. Economy is in the weeds. The general public is hurting. Time to spread the pain a bit and expect pay cuts for ALL public sector employees over $50,000 year.
So you're calling for new provisions in furure contracts, say an Economic Downturn Clause.

I also see that you now want to extend this to "ALL public sector employees over $50,000 year". Well, heck, why stop there, it's pretty clear that no one REALLY deserves a salary over $50,000 a year ("spread the pain a bit"), market forces, contracts, and the wishes of a Board of Directors be damned.

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Warning:

Donít be sidetracked by futile distractions.

Time is of the essence.

Consider this as an appeal to those with concrete, verifiable, and reliable factual information to share that evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 12 min ChicknButt 52,273
please raise taxes in Union 14 min Mountains Noise 19
What's the worst thing about Floridiots? 15 min Word to the Wise 14
Farmers Market Rip-Off 41 min ACOG 43
brmemc 2 hr Facts 135
florida 3 hr FHL 15
Patrick Malone's Values 4 hr FHL 6

Search the Blairsville Forum:
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs