1% sales tax for board of education

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
concerned citizen

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Saw in the legal ads this week where there will be a special election in March for this tax. Anybody know if this is just a renewal of the existing splost or does the board want to take another 1% from us? There was no news article in the paper about it, just the ad in the legal ads. The residents of Union County are already VERY generous in the tax money that they get from us already. If their goal is to add another 1% to our sales tax we first need evidence that there is a true need and not so they can give pay raises to administrators. Most of us have had to cut back on spending, perhaps it's time for government to do the same.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Just Mike

Commerce, GA

#2 Jan 16, 2013
I agree with you about where the money goes regarding administrators- too much waste. I searched for this SPLOST (assuming) renewal and couldn't find anything. What's the deal with the North GA News website? Seems its been down for months.

I'd vehemently oppose ANOTHER 1% SPLOST increase, but support renewal of the existing one for one reason only- and it isn't that I approve of the proceeds. Take a look at the website main page at ga-splost.org . In all of GA, Union County is ranked 3rd in terms of getting the majority of our sales tax revenue from consumers that live OUTSIDE our county but buy here.

That is a pretty good way to raise UC revenue... having part time Floridians and surrounding county folks paying in MORE (of the total raised) than the locals, right?
uct

Murphy, NC

#3 Jan 16, 2013
No more splost period. The only way I could support any splost is if Union County full time residents are exempt!
citizen

Blairsville, GA

#4 Jan 16, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
I agree with you about where the money goes regarding administrators- too much waste. I searched for this SPLOST (assuming) renewal and couldn't find anything. What's the deal with the North GA News website? Seems its been down for months.
I'd vehemently oppose ANOTHER 1% SPLOST increase, but support renewal of the existing one for one reason only- and it isn't that I approve of the proceeds. Take a look at the website main page at ga-splost.org . In all of GA, Union County is ranked 3rd in terms of getting the majority of our sales tax revenue from consumers that live OUTSIDE our county but buy here.
That is a pretty good way to raise UC revenue... having part time Floridians and surrounding county folks paying in MORE (of the total raised) than the locals, right?
will you support a SPLOST for lamars spending habit

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
citizen

Blairsville, GA

#6 Jan 16, 2013
this county should be rolling in the SPLOST money...But the money is NOT BEING SPENT WISELY.

The money is going for GYMS and artificial turff NOT EDUCATION
Concerned

Alto, GA

#7 Jan 16, 2013
It is a renewal of the existing ESPLOST. No new taxes. It is designed to fund school safety enhancements(important in light of CT Shootings), new buses, more classrooms, multi-use/fine arts auditorium, upgraded HVAC systems, etc. Can only be used for capital projects.
citizen

Blairsville, GA

#8 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned wrote:
It is a renewal of the existing ESPLOST. No new taxes. It is designed to fund school safety enhancements(important in light of CT Shootings), new buses, more classrooms, multi-use/fine arts auditorium, upgraded HVAC systems, etc. Can only be used for capital projects.
well buddy we get turf and a 3.5 million dollar gym for 100 students
But

Dahlonega, GA

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Concerned wrote:
I think that's a ruse setup by politicians. By restricting TSPOST for capital projects, the school property taxes can go toward other things such as salaries. In the end, it all goes to the school to waste.
Bill

Maysville, GA

#10 Jan 16, 2013
Horseshit.
I am not voting for any more SPLOST.
We can not trust our elected officials with the money. I am talking about Paris and the school board.
No more artificial turf.
I see fire trucks used to block hwys for fender benders and run to every nose bleed. Seldom do they fight fires....
I have watched sheriff deputies waste money for years.
I look at the Reece farm and wonder "what the hell where you thinking?"
Not even if "it saves one life"....... crap.
Concerned wrote:
citizen

Blairsville, GA

#11 Jan 16, 2013
Bill wrote:
Horseshit.
I am not voting for any more SPLOST.
We can not trust our elected officials with the money. I am talking about Paris and the school board.
No more artificial turf.
I see fire trucks used to block hwys for fender benders and run to every nose bleed. Seldom do they fight fires....
I have watched sheriff deputies waste money for years.
I look at the Reece farm and wonder "what the hell where you thinking?"
Not even if "it saves one life"....... crap.
<quoted text>
not to mention us supporting the horse area. did you see the article in this weeks paper. yeppieeee, membership increased to over 400. they contributed over $9,500 to help others...yeppieee how bout paying the county back for all the money you are to pay for rent and utilities and up keep. stop living off the people of union county for your pony rides.
mostly listening

Clarkesville, GA

#12 Jan 16, 2013
I can see that most everyone is getting as fed up as me. Anything in my families life is how we can cut back to pay increases in food, taxes, insurance, utilities, gasoline and clothing and home upkeep. I am doing so much on my own i have no time left. Then i have to listen about the school system needs more. I say BULLS__T! Cut back like we are. No more. My next step is to quit working and paying for the SHI__Y system and getting my Georgia food credit card and another fake disability auto tag and suck off the system like the other lazy asses. When you shop at wal mart who do you think pays for those electric carts to haul the 500 lb people around for their free food?
Just Mike

Commerce, GA

#13 Jan 16, 2013
I totally agree that the ESPLOST revenue isn't necessarily as "well spent" on education as it could/should be, but not summarily renewing what already exists seems foolish. If not renewed, then the Union County sales tax rate would drop to 6%... which ain't really helping those that REALLY need tax relief.

Remember, UC residents are paying less than half of the total collected by that 1% sales tax. The total sales tax rate of 7% mirrors nearly all other counties in GA. The proposed "renewal" of ESPLOST in March is NOT an increase... which is what you'd see in your property taxes (big time) if it ISN'T renewed.

Better manage/spend what is collected? YES. Let ESPLOST lapse, resulting in 6% sales tax rate with ED budget shortfalls to be made up entirely by increased property taxes paid mostly by UC residents? NO. The legal notice is a formality... ESPLOST renewal will pass resoundingly- why shouldn't it?

Isn't this a no-brainer, given its minimal impact and less burdensome affect on UC taxpaying residents?
Freak Boy

Dahlonega, GA

#14 Jan 16, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
I totally agree that the ESPLOST revenue isn't necessarily as "well spent" on education as it could/should be, but not summarily renewing what already exists seems foolish. If not renewed, then the Union County sales tax rate would drop to 6%... which ain't really helping those that REALLY need tax relief.
Remember, UC residents are paying less than half of the total collected by that 1% sales tax. The total sales tax rate of 7% mirrors nearly all other counties in GA. The proposed "renewal" of ESPLOST in March is NOT an increase... which is what you'd see in your property taxes (big time) if it ISN'T renewed.
Better manage/spend what is collected? YES. Let ESPLOST lapse, resulting in 6% sales tax rate with ED budget shortfalls to be made up entirely by increased property taxes paid mostly by UC residents? NO. The legal notice is a formality... ESPLOST renewal will pass resoundingly- why shouldn't it?
Isn't this a no-brainer, given its minimal impact and less burdensome affect on UC taxpaying residents?
Give it up, you're too logical. All these whiners want is to be stingy and pay less tax, all while using all the amenities that are paid for with tax dollars. Just a bunch of whiny ass Floridiots and Yankees who whine about paying school tax, etc.
Bill

Maysville, GA

#15 Jan 17, 2013
Horseshit.
They have wasted the tax money we have already paid. That silly artificial turf and several other projects shows the mentality running the schools.
It is not free money. Taking money and blowing it is stupid.
I will not vote for any more ESPLOST. None. Zip.
Do without.
Just Mike wrote:
UC Local

Cleveland, GA

#16 Jan 17, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
Hey Mike,

Being 3rd is going to change when Blue Ridge gets their new WalMart. I also oppose any additional tax increase and I will go one step further to say I will vote against any future Splost for UC excluding the school Splost. As long as we have a Sole Commissioner form of govt. with one person spending SPLOST dollars as he sees fit my vote will be NO!
Think about it

Hayesville, NC

#17 Jan 17, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
Think about this - we either pay for the security upgrades, buses, air conditioning upgrades, etc with SPLOST or with property taxes!! For me, I pay enough!!! Let the vistors that come here help us. I do not want ANY milage rate increases but if the SPLOST does not pass that is what they will do. It's not a new tax just to continue the current. No, not all the money has been used like I think it should have been used, but the necessary items MUST be done. cut thru all the fluff and I will support it to keep my property taxes from being raised!!!
thinking

Toccoa, GA

#18 Jan 17, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about this - we either pay for the security upgrades, buses, air conditioning upgrades, etc with SPLOST or with property taxes!!
There isn't any more money in the family, and credit is already maxxed out. So what do most families do - we cut back. We budget. We make choices of what we can "Upgrade" and what we can't. We rent a 2 bedroom place for annual vacation and squeeze in rather than get the 3 bedroom (if we can afford it at all.) We start a garden to supplement fresh fruits and vegetables. The wife sows up the holes in the clothes with patches instead of buying new ones.

Do you get the picture? A realistic budget is a budget, whether it is a family, or a county, or a school system. I want a lot of stuff, for myself, for my wife, for my kids. Guess what - if the money isn't there... it isn't there. You live with it, and you make hard choices. You don't get everything you want.

Cut Teacher and Administrator salaries 5% across the board. That should pay for all you stated and then some. Seems like in most families EVERYONE is taking pay cuts, if not actually losing their jobs. Only the public sector and Unions seem to act like annual increases are a God given right.

Got county budget problems? Modestly cut salaries across the board. You want to protect public jobs - then ALL employees take small salary cuts - top to bottom, mostly top. Unfortunately, most of the decision makers in the public sector look first to protect their fat salaries, and then they look to protect the next tier down which are big salaries, then below that they cut a little on the little, and below that they fire and furlough the least of those.

That is what I am thinking.
AGREE

Toccoa, GA

#19 Jan 17, 2013
Excellent Post. I could not have said it better! Before BOE asks for another dime, they should put in across board pay cuts and pay freezes. I am serious.
my view

Dahlonega, GA

#21 Jan 17, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about this - we either pay for the security upgrades, buses, air conditioning upgrades, etc with SPLOST or with property taxes!! For me, I pay enough!!! Let the vistors that come here help us. I do not want ANY milage rate increases but if the SPLOST does not pass that is what they will do. It's not a new tax just to continue the current. No, not all the money has been used like I think it should have been used, but the necessary items MUST be done. cut thru all the fluff and I will support it to keep my property taxes from being raised!!!
They don't HAVE to increase the millage rate. They WANT to increase the millage rate. They don't HAVE to have the E-SPLOST. They WANT to have the E-SPLOST. Someone told me the other day that it's all marketing. People tend to see all the expensive buildings, etc, and say, "That's a good school system." That person said that a lot of school systems with all the expensive football fields, buildings, etc., with no good teaching inside reminds him of a whited building with nothing inside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
school 59 min happy 17
Time To Clean Up Union County 2 hr redimix 134
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 3 hr redimix 162
Our New Sheriffs Dept (Jan '13) 3 hr redimix 974
the local people of blairsville 4 hr redimix 28
Interesting article-link What divides America 7 hr Ed Anger 20
Good reasonable Plumber (Mar '14) 8 hr Blairsville Plumber 6
INVESTIGATION: Union County vs. City of Blairsv... Tue redimix 63

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating