ParkSterling Bank
Charles Spiva

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Jun 7, 2013
Seems the old Bank of Hiawassee, now Park Sterling has had a policy change that they haven't notified anyone about. If you have a check come in after closing, you have only 1 hour the next morning (only until 10:00 A.M) to get the money there to cover it, or it will be over drafted. I need to know if this is across the board to all customers' or are they being selective (bank examiners want to know).
Also why does your home computer show a different accounting analysis than does the banks?
Please post if you know anything about not giving you all day to deposit the money to cover anything that came in after close the night before.
Just Mike

New York, NY

#2 Jun 7, 2013
Charles Spiva wrote:
Please post if you know anything about not giving you all day to deposit the money to cover anything that came in after close the night before.
Certain other banks also permit coverage of an overdraw at start of next day's business... an HOUR is generous. However, this only prevents the check that posted from bouncing... you still are assessed an overdraft fee. To banks, it is a "courtesy" that they don't simply "bounce" the item, but give you an opportunity to cover it at all.

Bottom line... don't write checks for money that isn't there. Playing the "float" is too risky- and potentially expensive.
happy

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Jun 8, 2013
Why would someone write a check if they don't have money in the bank to cover it? I would think that they should expect the check to bounce and to get an overdraft fee in that situation.
Billie Jean

United States

#4 Jun 8, 2013
Stop spending money you don't have .
Customer

Jefferson, GA

#5 Jun 8, 2013
I was notified. I read everything they send me. Everyone should do the same.
citizen

Jefferson, GA

#6 Jun 8, 2013
happy wrote:
Why would someone write a check if they don't have money in the bank to cover it? I would think that they should expect the check to bounce and to get an overdraft fee in that situation.
Geesh, maybe it is HIS paycheck that he worked all week for(direct deposit)
happy

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Jun 8, 2013
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Geesh, maybe it is HIS paycheck that he worked all week for(direct deposit)
I don't understand what you mean by that. Why would you need to get money to the bank to cover your direct deposit paycheck?

Anyhow, it is much better to try to live a little below your means and save up a few hundred or a thousand dollars so you have a little 'cushion' in your bank account so you're not living paycheck to paycheck and running out of money before the next paycheck. The peace of mind you have that way is worth the sacrifice you have to make to save the money. I know that's not always possible, but even in this economy most of us will have to admit that there is something we can do without in order to save a little money. Don't be like some people I know of who were always behind on their rent and utilities and said they couldn't afford to pay their bills. They always seemed to have plenty of money for beer and they had a new TV that cost around $2000.00. They put their wants ahead of their needs and then couldn't pay for their real needs.
local girl

Blairsville, GA

#8 Jun 8, 2013
In many places, it is considered a felony to write checks for money you do not have in the bank. I think Happy hit it dead on. Good Post.
suze

Jefferson, GA

#9 Jun 9, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand what you mean by that. Why would you need to get money to the bank to cover your direct deposit paycheck?
Anyhow, it is much better to try to live a little below your means and save up a few hundred or a thousand dollars so you have a little 'cushion' in your bank account so you're not living paycheck to paycheck and running out of money before the next paycheck. The peace of mind you have that way is worth the sacrifice you have to make to save the money. I know that's not always possible, but even in this economy most of us will have to admit that there is something we can do without in order to save a little money. Don't be like some people I know of who were always behind on their rent and utilities and said they couldn't afford to pay their bills. They always seemed to have plenty of money for beer and they had a new TV that cost around $2000.00. They put their wants ahead of their needs and then couldn't pay for their real needs.
Living below your means is always good policy. Some people try to live way above their means just to impress other people. Always ask yourself, is it a want or a need before buying something, and you will be surprised at how much money you can save.
UC Voter

Dawsonville, GA

#11 Jun 10, 2013
Instead of lecturing the person, why not answer his question? Geez.

Yes, this is normal for a bank to give you until 10 or 11 a.m.

My bank allows a person to deposit before 11 a.m. to cover a check or automatic payment.

For example, often automatic payments for insurance and other bills may reach the bank before the day they are scheduled. If there isn't enough money to cover the payment, my bank has allows customers to deposit before 11 a.m.

Often with direct deposit the bank will honor checks that are received the same day as the deposit.

confused

Ashburn, VA

#12 Jun 20, 2013
I don't think they offer bounce protection at this bank unless you have a savings account that can cover the amount. You can set that up for a fee, I believe. Call the bank and inquire. Each one that has taken it over has different policies, so it's confusing.
Gracie Lou

Blairsville, GA

#13 Jun 22, 2013
Sooo...don't write the check until you know the funds are in there. simple!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheaters (Jul '15) 4 hr tellico 31
John F Kennedy 4 hr tellico 10
Its okay to be Gay in Blairsville (Jun '09) 5 hr tellico 205
Bear in Food City 11 hr Junior Sample 11
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 15 hr Name 293
Duncan bull sheet Sun Advocate4Clean 5
This can't be true. Sun random thoughts 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages