First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#1 May 16, 2013
I've been in the area for twelve years.

Have lost track of how many times I've tried to hire someone to do odd jobs that won't return calls or show up. These people have ads for their small business, but don't take it seriously.

The latest ... I hired a very upstanding local lady to clean my house. Very nice lady, but won't return messages half the time because she says she loses them.

Finally get her over to clean. We had a pleasant chat and I paid her MORE than she asked for. Asked if she could come back and she says it depends on her schedule. So I asked if she could let me know when she's available to come.

What happens next? Nothing.

What is it with this place where so many locals refuse to treat their business like a real business? There are hardly any jobs here, so why do people shoot themselves in the foot?
Name

Tampa, FL

#2 May 16, 2013
Lost Hope wrote:
I've been in the area for twelve years.
Have lost track of how many times I've tried to hire someone to do odd jobs that won't return calls or show up. These people have ads for their small business, but don't take it seriously.
The latest ... I hired a very upstanding local lady to clean my house. Very nice lady, but won't return messages half the time because she says she loses them.
Finally get her over to clean. We had a pleasant chat and I paid her MORE than she asked for. Asked if she could come back and she says it depends on her schedule. So I asked if she could let me know when she's available to come.
What happens next? Nothing.
What is it with this place where so many locals refuse to treat their business like a real business? There are hardly any jobs here, so why do people shoot themselves in the foot?
Absoletuly no ownership or multitasking skills.
They do have a skill called complaining they cant make it and and they gotta take the wife, husband, or kid to the doctor, coon hunting and other endless excuses.
Gotta have your priorities.
Then complain about successful people.
Let us not mention these same people they complain about sacrifice holidays and work long hours to support the families and trying to save for retirement while
they are happy or lazy just getting by and complaining.
Go figure.
Before someone says they have cildren well many people raise children in this country and do an excellent job plus work full time jobs.
Welcome to Fannin County.
suggestion

Cleveland, GA

#3 May 16, 2013
If you don't like it here feel free to pack your junk up and go back to Florida.
Good point

Atlanta, GA

#4 May 16, 2013
suggestion wrote:
If you don't like it here feel free to pack your junk up and go back to Florida.
I agree. Pack you things nad move away from a place of slough, greed, mediocrity and drama. Notice the reference to junk in the above post...well...that's what you get in Union County.......Don't expect people with class as normal people know it...so don't complain..it will get you no where. You can't change "their" culture.... Do yourself a favor and move. Find a good place with people who have a work ethic and morals....Best of luck.
Well

United States

#5 May 16, 2013
Good point wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Pack you things nad move away from a place of slough, greed, mediocrity and drama. Notice the reference to junk in the above post...well...that's what you get in Union County.......Don't expect people with class as normal people know it...so don't complain..it will get you no where. You can't change "their" culture.... Do yourself a favor and move. Find a good place with people who have a work ethic and morals....Best of luck.
Well, I'm a local and I understand you to we'll! I have lived around your type my entire life. You have no respect for yourself and no one. One day life will catch up with you. I am so proud my parents taught me to respect everyone and to educate myself. You do not represent the mass of the decent working moral people of this county. I agree we have many people here that are lazy and live off entitlements. That is the person you were raised to be. Bless your little heart !
Visitor

United States

#6 May 16, 2013
These people posting all the ugly don't know any better. It's like every town large or small. You got lazy, uneducated, rude you name it.
Lots of these people are bitter because they have never had opportunity and never well.
It's that way everywhere.
Just ignore them and let them go on.
I was taught there are some people you smile and say good morning to and keep walking.
There are way many locals that are great people , you don't need to be concerned about these yahoos on here.
Everybody just enjoy all that Blue Ridge offers and have fun.
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#7 May 16, 2013
The thing is, this lady isn't lazy. You couldn't be lazy to do the cleaning jobs she does. She has no children, so that's not it.

It's the lack of initiative to return calls or try to get business I don't understand. I can only think she doesn't really need the money, but then why do it at all?

This happens constantly here with all sorts of small businesses. It's very strange and I've never seen anything like it, or else I wouldn't be asking about it. A lot of these people even make appointments and don't show up.

What is it all about?
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#8 May 16, 2013
Also, she is NICE!

All of the people that have disappointed us have seemed nice. They just don't seem to care about their own businesses!

The exception was a Mexican-owned landscaping/lawn care business. They called back and came out the same day and did the job with smiles on their faces. Their drive was shocking compared to what we've gotten used to.
suggestion

Cleveland, GA

#9 May 16, 2013
Well maybe you should move to Mexico then.
Ummmm

United States

#10 May 16, 2013
Lost Hope wrote:
Also, she is NICE!
All of the people that have disappointed us have seemed nice. They just don't seem to care about their own businesses!
The exception was a Mexican-owned landscaping/lawn care business. They called back and came out the same day and did the job with smiles on their faces. Their drive was shocking compared to what we've gotten used to.
Medicaid seem to have abetted work ethic. As far as suggestion - don't have to move to Mexico they come to us and thankfully so. You have a great wee end buddy.
Ummmm

United States

#11 May 16, 2013
Correction- mexicans seem to have a better work ethic
funnystuff

Dawsonville, GA

#12 May 16, 2013
It is kind of like this everywhere, but more so here. We have a huge, won't call them white trash, but underclass population that lives off government money and they have no ambition. Their parents had none either and they are content to make a few "extra bucks" here and there. It is all they know and they are more or less content with it. The ones who are serious are not working for $10 and hour. Look them up in the yellow pages if you want people who are professionals. If you want a real laugh, try hiring people here for real jobs......they are all nice, but completely unreliable 90% of the time. I run a small company here and have hired maybe 30 over the years. I can count on one hand how many were even ok. About 1/2 never even showed up or showed up once.
suggestion

Cleveland, GA

#13 May 17, 2013
Maybe we should take up a collection to hire a greyhound bus to take all of you complainers back to Florida. Or even better, back up north.
CVS

Maysville, GA

#14 May 17, 2013
Lost Hope wrote:
It's very strange and I've never seen anything like it, or else I wouldn't be asking about it. A lot of these people even make appointments and don't show up.
What is it all about?
Prescription drugs.
Yes Mam

Maysville, GA

#15 May 17, 2013
Lost Hope wrote:
Also, she is NICE!
You have maids inside, people doing the yard outside. Maybe locals have a disdain for the indignity of being servants. Slavery went out of style in l865. Get Obama to add servants to entitlements.
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#16 May 17, 2013
Yes Mam wrote:
<quoted text>
You have maids inside, people doing the yard outside. Maybe locals have a disdain for the indignity of being servants. Slavery went out of style in l865. Get Obama to add servants to entitlements.
Perhaps you can explain why a lady advertises her own business cleaning houses if she doesn't like it. I'm all ears.

And you must have missed that the yard people (Mexicans) did a fine job.

Evidently, these people consider themselves business people and these are the jobs they created for themselves. I did not capture them and put them in chains, so they are not servants or slaves.

Maybe it's YOU who look down on them since you feel those jobs are so low.
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#17 May 17, 2013
CVS wrote:
<quoted text>
Prescription drugs.
I don't think it's that in most cases. The only conclusion I've come to is that they don't see returning calls or showing up as an important part of business conduct.

The other conclusion is that they aren't looking to make much money with their businesses. I paid more than she asked, but that didn't seem to motivate.

They must be growing up with completely different expectations, or it wouldn't happen so much.
low

Maysville, GA

#18 May 17, 2013
Lost Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you can explain why a lady advertises her own business cleaning houses if she doesn't like it. I'm all ears.
And you must have missed that the yard people (Mexicans) did a fine job.
Evidently, these people consider themselves business people and these are the jobs they created for themselves. I did not capture them and put them in chains, so they are not servants or slaves.
Maybe it's YOU who look down on them since you feel those jobs are so low.
It sounds like after people meet you, they don't want anything else to do with you.
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#19 May 17, 2013
suggestion wrote:
Maybe we should take up a collection to hire a greyhound bus to take all of you complainers back to Florida. Or even better, back up north.
It's really strange that you call someone a "complainer" because they expect a business to return calls and show up when they said they would.

The rest of the world calls it normal.
Lost Hope

Dawsonville, GA

#20 May 17, 2013
low wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like after people meet you, they don't want anything else to do with you.
How do you explain them not returning messages and not showing up BEFORE meeting us? How do you explain them making appointments, choosing the best time for themselves, and then not bothering to show up?

We are very polite and respectful to everyone. We are not demanding and we compliment their work (when they show up). This happens to everyone else I know too, to the point that we all wonder. That's the problem; it's COMMON here.

We even had a neighbor who was a local (and loved us) recommend her nephew to till some ground for us so we could put in a vegetable garden. He called us and sounded all enthusiastic, said he knew exactly where the house was, made an appointment ... and never showed up.

I've lost count how often this happens.

Maybe, just maybe, THEY are the problem. I am asking what makes them this way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our towns food is terrible 2 hr tellico 67
The Cowboy Store 4 hr tellico 11
Its okay to be Gay in Blairsville (Jun '09) 5 hr Lindsey Graham 207
Pros and Cons of coming out as a gay person (Jan '14) 5 hr Lindsey Graham 103
Cheaters (Jul '15) 5 hr Bill Clinton 33
Hillary Clinton for President ! 8 hr Ed Anger 26
John F Kennedy Mon tellico 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages