Teachers Give Back Money To Save Co-W...

Teachers Give Back Money To Save Co-Workers' Jobs

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

boom boom chicka chicka

Toccoa, GA

#1 May 19, 2009
HARALSON COUNTY, Ga.-- Would you give back some of your pay if your co-workers' jobs were on the line?

That is just what some employees of the Haralson County school system did.

Peggy Poole has been teaching kindergarten at Buchanan Primary School for 13 years. When the Haralson school system asked employees to voluntarily give money back so layoffs could be avoided, Poole wrote a check for three days of pay.

"When you think about loss of jobs, that's food on the table. That is people's lifestyles being changed," said Poole.

Haralson County, like many school districts, is dealing with a loss of revenue. The district realized in April it would have to lay off some non-contracted workers, like secretaries, if it couldn't find money.

School superintendent Brett Stanton said they took the unusual step of asking employees to volunteer to donate back to the system anonymously.

"We wanted our coordinator of financial services to be the lead on this," said Stanton. "I, in no way, wanted to know which employees gave and which did not. It was a personal decision on their part."

The budget shortfall was about $132,000. In just 10 days, employees gave back $144,000.

Poole said she is glad she played a part in saving jobs.

"When I got the e-mail that they had gotten enough money, I was thrilled," said Poole.

Stanton said he believes next year's budget will not require layoffs.
Wow

Manning, SC

#2 May 20, 2009
Talk about commitment!

Who will follow their example?
boom boom chicka chicka

Toccoa, GA

#3 May 20, 2009
we shall see.
Junebug

Toccoa, GA

#4 May 20, 2009
Look for a property tax increase instead.
Not here

Homer, GA

#5 May 21, 2009
Wow wrote:
Talk about commitment!
Who will follow their example?
Certainly not the teachers at any of the Union County schools. They are all too me, me, me.

Since: Oct 08

Hiawassee, GA

#6 May 22, 2009
Not here wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly not the teachers at any of the Union County schools. They are all too me, me, me.
If they did give back, then they would not be able to buy their coach handbags!!
Rats ass

Homer, GA

#7 May 22, 2009
Rock-n-Roll wrote:
<quoted text>
If they did give back, then they would not be able to buy their coach handbags!!
Believe me, those teachers would never give up anything monetary to help out one of their own.
oh ok

Dawsonville, GA

#8 May 22, 2009
you people are awful! look at the way you are bashing the people who teach your kids pretty much everything academicallyand socially to prepare them for the world. there are very many kind and compassionate teachers in union county. thank God my child was fortunate enough to have one this year.

with what teachers do on a daily basis, i say they deserve any kind of handbag they want!

and its pretty hard to believe that all the teachers are "me,me,me" because they have to give very much of theirselves to do their job.

stop complaining and be grateful for the people who help mold your children.
smack of the ruler

Jefferson, GA

#9 May 22, 2009
What part of the education of becoming a teacher did they teach them to gossip and look down on parents? Some would be better teachers if they were to focus on the kids rather than focusing on what they can say about the parents of thier own kids. Dont get me wrong the teacher we had this year was great and would recommend to anyone but that is because she stayed clear and did not get involved with..."Hey did you hear about...." You need to get the word out about someone then just tell some of the terachers at school.
smack of the ruler

Jefferson, GA

#10 May 22, 2009
oh ok wrote:
the people who teach your kids pretty much everything academicallyand socially to prepare them for the world.
The people that teach our kids to talk about people in town. Academically yes but social teaching is way off for some teachers. Although,Socially, the kids will be prepared for the cruel world of backstabbing gossip at everyone elses expense.
parent

Commerce, GA

#11 May 23, 2009
Instead of complaining so much, move your children to another school if you have such a problem with the teachers.
smack of the ruler wrote:
<quoted text>
The people that teach our kids to talk about people in town. Academically yes but social teaching is way off for some teachers. Although,Socially, the kids will be prepared for the cruel world of backstabbing gossip at everyone elses expense.
oh ok

Dawsonville, GA

#12 May 23, 2009
What part of the education of becoming a teacher did they teach them to gossip and look down on parents? Some would be better teachers if they were to focus on the kids rather than focusing on what they can say about the parents of thier own kids. Dont get me wrong the teacher we had this year was great and would recommend to anyone but that is because she stayed clear and did not get involved with..."Hey did you hear about...." You need to get the word out about someone then just tell some of the terachers at school.
ya know what? im going to be very bold and name drop right now. not to stir up trouble because if anyone can think of something bad to say about these teachers,it says a lot about you. these women are the kindest and caring women i have ever met.

it really troubles me to hear people talk about our whole system of teachers like they are dirt when we have wonderful women like mrs amy payne,millie owenby, kristal hemphill,barbara long, heather akins and many many others teaching our kids. i believe with my heart that none of these women would have a problem giving a portion of their salary if it would help someone in need.

so why dont you think about that before you go generalizing our teachers. just because you had a bad experience with 1 or 2 doesnt make all of them bad..i know there are some gossipy teachers but i think the problem teachers are in the minority.
are you serious

Alpharetta, GA

#13 May 23, 2009
First of all, teachers are already underpaid. You have no idea how much it takes to be a teacher these days. From keeping up with a ton of paperwork, collecting data, analyzing data, creating interventions, teaching the GPS standards to ALL students and getting them to mastery, dealing with behavior, to dealing with irrational parents and, at times, coworkers. Still many teachers take time away from their families to go back to school to pursue higher degrees so that they are able to learn even more about their profession. Not many professions require you to wear as many hats as teaching. You should be thankful that a person is willing to invest so much time in the growth of your child. And, who are you to say that a teacher should not own a Coach handbag? They make the money - they can purchase whatever they want. By the way, would YOU be willing to give up your salary for a coworker?? Didn't think so. Sounds like jealousy or resentment to me...
woman

Dawsonville, GA

#14 May 23, 2009
<quoted text>
Although,Socially, the kids will be prepared for the cruel world of backstabbing gossip at everyone elses expense.
kind of like you are doing here?
angry

Jefferson, GA

#15 Jun 13, 2009
I am retired from the school system and the teachers are very generous when trouble comes to families. They already give a portion of their salary. They are given $100.00 to buy supplies for their rooms. They spend a large portion of their salary on supplies. They often buy coats,shoes,and snacks for children who have no money but they don't let anyone know. This year they will take a pay cut. This is very hard on many of them that are still paying loans for school, or still going to school, with mortages, childcare, and car payments. It is very HARD when their spouse is also a teacher and they get a double cut. Times are hard and it is not a time to be critizing the people who spend more time with our children than we do.
haha

Norman Park, GA

#16 Jun 13, 2009
I commend any teacher that spends their own money for their students. But considering that many of them make nearly 100k per year I don't feel sorry for them having to take a pay cut.
my opinion

Hotchkiss, CO

#17 Jun 13, 2009
Why not ask the supt. to ask his wife to give up the pay raise he gave her when he took office? Since no one else got one, she ought to set the example. He should, too. But don't hold your breath for that to happen.
pcs

Cleveland, GA

#18 Jun 13, 2009
Rats ass wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, those teachers would never give up anything monetary to help out one of their own.
That is not true. We happen to have alot of very good teachers and they are a pretty close knit group. If they are so bad why don't you start teaching.
Marie

Holtsville, NY

#19 Apr 3, 2011
haha wrote:
I commend any teacher that spends their own money for their students. But considering that many of them make nearly 100k per year I don't feel sorry for them having to take a pay cut.
What is really bothering you? How much they make or the fact that you did not make that choice so you are not making the same amount of money? That is called envy, Grow up! Do you really know how much it takes to put up with your kids, teach them to be honest and reliable and not to judge people based on what they do not have or are not? Guess what? On top of that they make your kids academically proficient, do you know what that is?
Union Member

Dawsonville, GA

#20 Apr 6, 2011
I would never give up my money, you stupid people need to just pay more taxes, I paid my price and went to school for four years to be a teacher, you owe me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs riding in Walmart GROCERY Shopping Carts (Jul '14) 3 hr Woman 118
BOTULISM Dented cans, leaking cans expired cans 3 hr Got the CURE FOLKS 11
Rib Country Waitress 3 hr All the way down 71
Dumpy, rundown trailer GONE ! 12 hr Sam Drucker 12
To the Mayor of blairsville ga 15 hr safe 14
Agent Orange Sun SAFE 4
Wiggers Sat ivy log leonard 4

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance