R Martin

Jefferson, GA

#41 Mar 21, 2012
I would be more concerned about the adults who are with your kids in non public functions, such as teachers, priests and scout leaders, that an old man in a public park.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#42 Mar 21, 2012
When I was a kid older folks were friendly to youngins no one ever heard of molesters or anything like that.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#43 Mar 21, 2012
My husband and I met the squirrel man at the KFC a few months ago. We were sitting at one table he was behind us. The children left their tables that they were sitting at and came up to talk to him and sat with him.

He shared pictures of the animals on his cell phone with the children.

A couple of girls from the college came up and talked to him. They were going to met up with him at Brastown Bald to view a meteor shower that nigh.

Later my husband and I started talking to him. He wanted to share his pictutes on his camera with us. They were very nice pictures of him feeding the animals. He told us to come and see him feed the animals anytime at the park.

I think this man is just lonesome and loves to share in feeding the animals. If he was harmful I don't think those parents would have let the children leave their tables alone to go sit with him.

I don't think those college girls would have wanted to meet up with him after midnight to watch a metero shower.

I think this county has a lot more things to worry about in Union County than this man.

Pray for Union County & Our Nation!

You can't judge a book from it's cover.
Garrett

Jefferson, GA

#44 Mar 26, 2012
He maybe a very nice guy,but he comes off a little strange. I've never heard of him harming anyone,but I would always watch my kids while i was there. You never know if someone has good or bad intentions. I wouldn't call the police if anything strange happens no matter who it is.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#45 Mar 26, 2012
Garrett wrote:
He maybe a very nice guy,but he comes off a little strange. I've never heard of him harming anyone,but I would always watch my kids while i was there. You never know if someone has good or bad intentions. I wouldn't call the police if anything strange happens no matter who it is.
I think he just wants a friend and share his love of nature.

He asked us to come and join him at the park. We are in our 60's.

Try and reach out and be a friend.
China Man

Jefferson, GA

#46 Mar 26, 2012
I like a to grease up with a Kung pow chicken and have a hungry beaver to a chase me! Fun come a to a see me/
hmm

Blairsville, GA

#47 Mar 27, 2012
I know him. He is annoying sometimes, but that is about it he is a really great guy if you like the things he likes. He is just a lonely old man that tries to be nice. Simple as that.

Since: Mar 13

Clarkesville, GA

#48 Mar 10, 2013
A year later, he's at the park now 3/10/13, see him there every time I go there. Lives the life of a hermit half the day and looking for human contact the other half. He told me long ago he lives in a camper on property in exchange for keeping an eye on the place. I have seen him all over doing yard work for people, cleaning restaurant parking lots in exchange for meals, giving fly fishing lessons. Told me once he uses the computers at the library, I wonder if he has seen these postings???
squirrel man

Dawsonville, GA

#49 Mar 10, 2013
buzzardb wrote:
A year later, he's at the park now 3/10/13, see him there every time I go there. Lives the life of a hermit half the day and looking for human contact the other half. He told me long ago he lives in a camper on property in exchange for keeping an eye on the place. I have seen him all over doing yard work for people, cleaning restaurant parking lots in exchange for meals, giving fly fishing lessons. Told me once he uses the computers at the library, I wonder if he has seen these postings???
he is a caring, wonderful, interesting person. doesn';t harm anyone, always speaks nicely of people, doesn't cause problems, more people should be like him........god bless the squirrel man

Since: Mar 13

Clarkesville, GA

#50 Mar 10, 2013
His situation is kinda my "default setting". I myself probably would avoid people most the time though. Imagine, no nagging spouse, frustrating offspring, their ungrateful offspring, creditors, relatives...
Allin

Dawsonville, GA

#51 Mar 10, 2013
buzzardb wrote:
I personally think he's got life all figured out and we all would be much better if we'd take some lessons from him. He's simple, lives simple, and in return, his life is more blessed than many that chase the all American dollar. That dollar is getting smaller and life only gets more complicated. Simplify. Want what you have, and you'll always have what you need. I think he's brilliant!
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#52 Mar 10, 2013
Allin wrote:
<quoted text>I personally think he's got life all figured out and we all would be much better if we'd take some lessons from him. He's simple, lives simple, and in return, his life is more blessed than many that chase the all American dollar. That dollar is getting smaller and life only gets more complicated. Simplify. Want what you have, and you'll always have what you need. I think he's brilliant!
"Simplify, Simplify, Simplify".
Henry David Thoreau.

"The things you think you own - actually own you."
"Bunky" M..... Police Lt.(Retired)
(A friend and mentor)
Bored

Dahlonega, GA

#53 Mar 10, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
"Simplify, Simplify, Simplify".
Henry David Thoreau.
"The things you think you own - actually own you."
"Bunky" M..... Police Lt.(Retired)
(A friend and mentor)
Poor Bunky.
-sigh-

Blairsville, GA

#54 Mar 14, 2013
I can't wait for my grandchild to have enough patience, to sit still and learn to feed the squirrels. As a mater of fact when I walk and it get's late, it's a comforting feeling to know that he is a gentlemen and would be there is something happened. He loves to visit and talk and share.
People are offended by this and see him as a predator because they aren't use to friendly folks who chat and visit with strangers.That is how we used to be around here and we need to get back to it.
It takes a village and the squirrel guy is great.
His name is Steve

Highlands, NC

#55 Mar 14, 2013
I have known Steve for years. He is completely harmless and is just overly friendly to most. He means well and would never harm a child, or anyone for that matter. He is an extremely intelligent man, compassionate about nature and a very talented artist. He paints and has shown myself and others many of his drawings and paintings. I know him well because I used to work at a place he would visit routinely. He is a creature of habit and has a schedule he keeps. He spends time at the park, hangs out at Foodland often in the evenings and eats at Mike's Seafood a lot. You may even see him picking up the parking lot at Mike's and Rose Auto. He gives people an uneasy feeling because he is simple and a little different. That's all.
grandmother

Lavonia, GA

#56 Oct 4, 2013
I just put pictures of my granddaughter with the Squirrel Man (Steve)on Topix Pictures.

He made my granddaughters & Grandson visit very special. They can't wait to come back and spend the day with him.
Watch out

Twinsburg, OH

#57 Oct 4, 2013
Its the overly friendly and harmless people you have to worry about. A fruitcake is a fruitcake. I wouldn't let my child near him.
Acorn

Cornelia, GA

#58 Oct 5, 2013
squirrels are EVERYWHERE this year. It's a lucky year for he and the squirrels.
grandmother

Lavonia, GA

#59 Oct 5, 2013
Looks like my pictures have been removed also.
What a shame.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#60 Oct 5, 2013
grandmother wrote:
Looks like my pictures have been removed also.
What a shame.
Don't think they showed up yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democratic Party - Anti Christian 8 min The_Box 6
Gay Marriage 3 hr Brick 70
Good Neighbors in Florida 5 hr Timmys Friend 12
Christian Nation = Revisionist History (Jun '10) 5 hr GOP 29
Liberal Campaign against Atricle 5 6 hr XYZZTOP 6
BRMEMC minutes of Board Meeting 7 hr GOP 20
Our New Sheriffs Dept (Jan '13) 18 hr Just Mike 1,013
Blairsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web