Does anyone know the "squirrel man" a...

Does anyone know the "squirrel man" at meeks park?

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mom of Daughters

United States

#1 Jul 12, 2011
Recently while at the park my family was approached by an elder gentleman with a long beard. At first he seemed harmless, but then he started showing ALOT of interest in my 8 yr old little girl. We moved from one area to another and he continued to follow us. He kept trying to get us to allow him to take our little girl to another section to fish or feed the squirrels. He followed her all over the park and even to our vehicle when we left.The next afternoon my parents had the same experience only this time he kept touching her hair, face, etc. They left immediately. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know this man? Is he harmless, mental or what? We will not be back there anytime soon....

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2 Jul 12, 2011
Mom of Daughters wrote:
Recently while at the park my family was approached by an elder gentleman with a long beard. At first he seemed harmless, but then he started showing ALOT of interest in my 8 yr old little girl. We moved from one area to another and he continued to follow us. He kept trying to get us to allow him to take our little girl to another section to fish or feed the squirrels. He followed her all over the park and even to our vehicle when we left.The next afternoon my parents had the same experience only this time he kept touching her hair, face, etc. They left immediately. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know this man? Is he harmless, mental or what? We will not be back there anytime soon....
Next time try to call 911 without him knowing and see if you can get LE to check him out. We don't need that sort of thing here.
duh

Homer, GA

#3 Jul 12, 2011
cannot believe none of you called police. what were you thinking. could be saving someone, duh.
Mom of Daughters

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Jul 12, 2011
We did notify them. They said they would check it out. In the mean time I was concerned how often this man might be there.
Timmy

Hiawassee, GA

#5 Jul 12, 2011
Probaly one dem weird floridiots wuz he a wearing socks with sandals and a backpack and stank real bad?
marcyt

Blairsville, GA

#6 Jul 12, 2011
He is there ALL the time. Wears camo outfit most of the time. Kind of medium build about 50. I am not one to think the worst in people, he may be harmless, but something about this fella just does not sit right with me.
Billy

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Jul 12, 2011
I spend quite a bit of time at the park myself. I have seen the man at the park there almost every time I have been there. He has approached me and my wife & kids before. He has actually trained some of the squirrels to eat out of his hand. I am pretty sure he simply loves kids (not in a weird way) and thinks they will like the squirrels. It used to be a common thing for folks to speak to one another and was normal for an older man to like kids without someone fearing the worst. The problem is all the bad people have given someone like the man at the park a bad wrap without even giving him a chance.
fact

Dawsonville, GA

#8 Jul 12, 2011
Billy wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time at the park myself. I have seen the man at the park there almost every time I have been there. He has approached me and my wife & kids before. He has actually trained some of the squirrels to eat out of his hand. I am pretty sure he simply loves kids (not in a weird way) and thinks they will like the squirrels. It used to be a common thing for folks to speak to one another and was normal for an older man to like kids without someone fearing the worst. The problem is all the bad people have given someone like the man at the park a bad wrap without even giving him a chance.
The person said he kept touching her hair and face,ya that's normal when a stranger touches your child's hair and face,i would plant him if he did this to my child.I know the person they are talking about.So billy boy you on the sex offender list?
have talked to him

Jefferson, GA

#9 Jul 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure he lives out of his car...He spends most of his time at the park & yes he has trained the squirrels to come up and eat out of his hand-I went up there & he gave me some peanuts to feed them..He just wants to talk to people
info

Birmingham, AL

#10 Jul 13, 2011
yes, he loves the squirells and feed them out of his hands some of them even sit on his shoulder, i agree just a friendly person lookng for people to talkt to. but as a parent i would say when it comes to your children always go with your gut and dont second guess that. we are responsable for protecting our little ones. but as far as my experience he loves the squirels, and all people.
MOM OF DAUGHTERS

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2011
Thanks for the info. We were curious if anyone else had a similar experience or knew anything about him. We were trying really to not overreact but at the same time, I am still not comfortable with the way he kept touching my child. He could be just a lonely old man like stated before but he still should not be so touchy with a child.
slingshot

Pendergrass, GA

#12 Jul 13, 2011
i have known him for years. he is a nice old man. he is harmless...
more info

Dawsonville, GA

#13 Jul 13, 2011
We have known this guy for years, he has lived here ever since I can remember. I let my daughter feed the squirrels with him one day last winter and we stood around and talked, but he never touched her nor did he try to follow us when we got ready to continue our walk. I understand the concern you have though, and he should not be touching children. I never thought that he was a threat, I always thought he was just different and he wanted people to talk to.
LOL

Murphy, NC

#14 Jul 13, 2011
Squirrel man is great.

I have been to the park several times, and have never seen him get out of the way with anyone, especially children.

He is always friendly, has named all the squirrels and shows the kids how to feed them. he is very informative and kind, also intelligent and he does not live out of his car.

As for overly touching a child, I have to question that.
mountain mom

Blairsville, GA

#15 Jul 13, 2011
His name is Steve...I walk at the park several times a week and have for several years. He has a great love for the birds and squirrels and loves to share this with others, especially children. I have never witnessed inappropriate behavior from him and I think he is a gentle soul.

I understand your concerns, I am a parent too...have witnessed him with many children before, never observed him overly touching any children before. My experiences with him...by myself and with my daughter have always been very positive. I have never felt threatened by him...he likes to talk alot...and will talk as long as you are willing to listen...that's my two cents.
xyzusee

Warner Robins, GA

#16 Jul 13, 2011
I completely agree. He is a very nice man who loves wildlife and shares his interest with others. He is actually a very good teacher if you give him the opportunity to share his knowledge with you.

But, as a parent, I think you should be cautious of all people when it comes to your children, not just this guy. Although, i think he's harmless.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#17 Jul 13, 2011
He doesn't wear camo clothes and have a canteen on a belt drives a small car and it's packed full of clothes, If so he has been around here a long time and lives out off Ivy Log in a camper. For as I know he's harmless but the only thing I know is what I just said. Where he came from and how he makes a living I don't know.
Billy

Texarkana, TX

#18 Jul 13, 2011
fact wrote:
<quoted text>The person said he kept touching her hair and face,ya that's normal when a stranger touches your child's hair and face,i would plant him if he did this to my child.I know the person they are talking about.So billy boy you on the sex offender list?
Just for your information, I AM NOT A SEX OFFENDER. I AM A CHRISTAIN MAN WITH A WONDERFUL FAMILY. I do not appreciate you asking such a question. I do agree parents should watch their children around any stranger. I never said they should turn them loose with the man! Have a nice evening.
dont blame you

Montgomery, AL

#19 Jul 13, 2011
I think I know him also,he use to sit at the laundry mat with ralph when it was beside circlek he's a nice guy, he also use to hang out at foodland.you could ask wayne about him.I would just tell him your not comfortable with him giving your child so much attention I'm sure he would be compliant and stop.
Blairsville News

Commerce, GA

#20 Jul 20, 2011
This particular man is harmless. I have known this man for years. He should not be touching children in that manor i do agree with that. if that was my child i would call the police & have them come down there while i was there, and let this man know that in this day & time you have to be cautious, and let him know that it is nothing against him. However, this man has had a hard life, he just like company and people to talk to. There are not many people out there that will just walk up and talk to just anybody these days afraid of what this person may be like, the "squirrel man" as everyone is calling him is just a harmless & lonely old man. but like i said the next encounter with this man the police needs to be contacted and come talk to him while you are still at the park. because like i said i have known him for years, and he has never been this way with me & I am a young lady. There may be more than what meets the eye, just have it checked out and if he is one of those "creepers" then he needs to be put away, even though i have not lived in blairsville my whole life i have been raised here, & this town does not need anyone like that living here to corrupt our town even more. & i agree with don't blame you, talk to Wayne about it because he is at foodland a lot, and wayne could probably have a talk with him & all this non-sense be over with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wow blairsville finally has a real pet store!!! 1 hr Observer 87
Local car wash 6 hr John 5
Muslim in Blairsville 14 hr Bacon in Blairsville 67
Still proud of your President? 15 hr like you 80
If you cant pay your bills stop spending foolishly Wed Waffle boy 134
boycott mike's seafood till he takes orders at ... (Mar '11) Wed New Restaurant! 278
Local Blairsville eatery (Aug '12) May 21 Chainsaw Five 15

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages