Why Topix is Popular in this Area

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
My Opinion

Clarkesville, GA

#1 Jan 10, 2013
I will keep this short and to the point. Topix is popular because there is no reliable news source for the public. People residing in Union County are not stupid. People see throught the dog and pony show run in the North GA News. I have gone on the Topix sites at other Towns and Cities but nowhere does the amount of post and threads even come close to the numbers used in Blairsville/Union County.

Why,I asked myself? It is not the size of the population or the rural setting because I have compared to both and that is not the reason. The main difference is all of the other locations have a newspaper or radio station or both that reports both sides of the issues. People are smart enough to know when they are getting only one side of the story but most don't care unless they are the ones that want the other side of the story presented. What Topix does is permits people to hear more than one point of view. If the people controling the newspaper think they are winning they are wrong. You see sooner or later a majority of the people will be given a reason to read or follow Topix hoping someone else has the same position or perspective on a particular issue. Lastly once that person makes the effort to use Topix they will continue to use it. Perhaps not every day but often enough to stay abreast of the threads they want to follow. Point in case the night of the November elections I went to Topix to get electio resulots and their were over 550 users on at the same time?
The Nuts Are Back in Town

Dahlonega, GA

#2 Jan 10, 2013
My Opinion wrote:
I will keep this short and to the point. Topix is popular because there is no reliable news source for the public. People residing in Union County are not stupid. People see throught the dog and pony show run in the North GA News. I have gone on the Topix sites at other Towns and Cities but nowhere does the amount of post and threads even come close to the numbers used in Blairsville/Union County.
Why,I asked myself? It is not the size of the population or the rural setting because I have compared to both and that is not the reason. The main difference is all of the other locations have a newspaper or radio station or both that reports both sides of the issues. People are smart enough to know when they are getting only one side of the story but most don't care unless they are the ones that want the other side of the story presented. What Topix does is permits people to hear more than one point of view. If the people controling the newspaper think they are winning they are wrong. You see sooner or later a majority of the people will be given a reason to read or follow Topix hoping someone else has the same position or perspective on a particular issue. Lastly once that person makes the effort to use Topix they will continue to use it. Perhaps not every day but often enough to stay abreast of the threads they want to follow. Point in case the night of the November elections I went to Topix to get electio resulots and their were over 550 users on at the same time?
Well, there's not a great deal of entertainment here. And where else could you have such a fun time following the ridiculous antics of ACOG, The Mountains Voice, Reb Blairsville and a host of other idiots who post here on Topix. Why, you really can't this kind of free entertainment anywhere else.
watching and waiting

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Jan 10, 2013
our cleveland boy is back
TheClevelandNutC ase

Blairsville, GA

#4 Jan 10, 2013
watching and waiting wrote:
our cleveland boy is back
You are correct, the biggest nut case on topix.
Mayor

Maysville, GA

#5 Jan 10, 2013
You are absolutely correct. Great post!
My Opinion wrote:
Floridian

Orlando, FL

#7 Jan 10, 2013
Mushrooms wrote:
You people are kept in the dark and fed bull sh*t....A few people there have enough sense to see through this!!!You cant see whose wife/mom was in the patrol cars with their husbands/sons co-workers.Maybe,it will get better?If not,we will be here!......DO THE RIGHT THING OR BE EXPOSED!!!!!!!!!!
Whaaaaaaaat!
UC Voter

Dawsonville, GA

#8 Jan 10, 2013
My Opinion wrote:
Bull. The reason it is popular is because there are too damn many old people in this town with nothing to do but bitch. I don't need the paper to know what's going on. Turn off the computer, get out and about, and you'll learn more than any paper will tell you. Get involved.

Dahlonega, GA

#9 Jan 10, 2013
UC Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. The reason it is popular is because there are too damn many old people in this town with nothing to do but bitch. I don't need the paper to know what's going on. Turn off the computer, get out and about, and you'll learn more than any paper will tell you. Get involved.
Yep, old, bitchy people who hated it where they were at up North so they moved to Flordia... Then they hated it down there because it was too hot and because of the Cubans, yada yada yada... so they moved up here to bitch and moan... same old story.
watching and waiting

Dawsonville, GA

#11 Jan 11, 2013
UC Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry, don't have time to brown noise at the courthouse all day...
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#12 Jan 11, 2013
It's anonymous and unmoderated, there were private boards a few years back but too many posters bristled at their moderated nature and the legal liability for the purveyors of such boards is just too great for a local individual to bear. While this forum could serve as an alternate source of news, due to its very nature the reality is more akin to Tabloid Journalism.
watching and waiting

Dawsonville, GA

#13 Jan 11, 2013
Oh my wrote:
It's anonymous and unmoderated, there were private boards a few years back but too many posters bristled at their moderated nature and the legal liability for the purveyors of such boards is just too great for a local individual to bear. While this forum could serve as an alternate source of news, due to its very nature the reality is more akin to Tabloid Journalism.
hey, cleveland BOY!

Dahlonega, GA

#14 Jan 11, 2013
watching and waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, cleveland BOY!
Not even close. Think maybe there are more people than one on here whose ISP shows up as Cleveland? Naw, couldn't be! Why, it's a giant conspiracy theory against the whining Misfits, all waged by one person... get real, dude, and go take your medicine.
UC Voter

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Jan 11, 2013
The Nuts Are Back in Town wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close. Think maybe there are more people than one on here whose ISP shows up as Cleveland? Naw, couldn't be! Why, it's a giant conspiracy theory against the whining Misfits, all waged by one person... get real, dude, and go take your medicine.
dumbnuts, aren't they?
Lamar

Dahlonega, GA

#16 Jan 11, 2013
UC Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
dumbnuts, aren't they?
Great Post Dick. You tell them.
Paris

France

#17 Jan 11, 2013
No real news
Floridian

Orlando, FL

#18 Jan 11, 2013
Paris wrote:
No real news
Yeah, Paris is like that.
homma

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Jan 11, 2013
You hit on the primary reason it remains quite active. There are what seems like maybe 12 or so sorry loosers who this site seems to be a big part of their lives and they clog it up arguing with each other. However it does have a much larger audience of normal people who mostly read and once in a while post. For those normal people it serves a very real need for communication and information that our joke of a newspaper ignores. The secondary reason it remains relevant is that in our extremely polite and yet judgmental community, there needs to be a place for discussion about things that may be non news issues that effect us or discuss discontent. For instance, in most of the USA it would be perfectly normal for let's say a teacher to openly criticize the school board or superintendent in a editorial or something like that. Here....well that sort of thing, speaking up or going against the grain is taboo. This site is a huge asset to the community even with some of the negative things about it. Just wish the loosers who post here day in and day out with nonsense would move on. Then you may have much more real discussion here.
momma

Dawsonville, GA

#20 Jan 12, 2013
homma wrote:
You hit on the primary reason it remains quite active. There are what seems like maybe 12 or so sorry loosers who this site seems to be a big part of their lives and they clog it up arguing with each other. However it does have a much larger audience of normal people who mostly read and once in a while post. For those normal people it serves a very real need for communication and information that our joke of a newspaper ignores. The secondary reason it remains relevant is that in our extremely polite and yet judgmental community, there needs to be a place for discussion about things that may be non news issues that effect us or discuss discontent. For instance, in most of the USA it would be perfectly normal for let's say a teacher to openly criticize the school board or superintendent in a editorial or something like that. Here....well that sort of thing, speaking up or going against the grain is taboo. This site is a huge asset to the community even with some of the negative things about it. Just wish the loosers who post here day in and day out with nonsense would move on. Then you may have much more real discussion here.
Why don't you tell us what it is you consider "nonsense". You know, so the posters who you coniser "loosers" can just move on per your request. What exactly is a looser anyway?
momma

Dawsonville, GA

#21 Jan 12, 2013
consider
Floridian

Orlando, FL

#22 Jan 12, 2013
momma wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is a looser anyway?
Def: Not as tight as something else

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remove EMC BOARD and Akins 11 min Just a Thought 76
Tanyard Truck Stop 3 hr Concerned 44
Honey Boo Boo 4 hr VOTE THEM OUT 5
Garbage pickup service (Sep '09) 7 hr amused 121
cheating husband (Aug '10) 13 hr Women are gullible 12
Dash Cams, You need them!!!! 14 hr weatherman 17
florida 16 hr Mary 38

Blairsville News Video

Blairsville Dating
Find my Match