Sentinel Offender Services

Sentinel Offender Services

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

U R NUTS

Gillsville, GA

#1 Sep 2, 2013
Read something recently regarding Sentinel Offender Services. Don’t recall which thread.

Had to do with judicial corruption. Some conversations related to the D.A.’s office, Judges and the circuit in general. Also, went into Judge Barrett, his “removal” and suggested association with an offender service.

For those with some interests, I stumbled across the following today from middle Georgia.

It has to do with Sentinel Offender Services, LLC. May or may not be the same Sentinel, don’t know.

Interesting article with various links citing worrisome violations covering years back – links included. Hope it may be helpful.

If so, I suspect the links should be copied quickly, as it, with the censorship we encounter, may be removed promptly. But no matter, if anyone finds it of use, it will reach the right hands.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/...

Sentinel contract tops commission's agenda
By Susan McCord
augusta.com

Long before Augusta commissioners debated the merits of privatizing city services such as public transit and golf course management, the city was relying on private industry to manage another aspect of government —managing and monitoring criminal offenders.

The city’s 15-year-old relationship with Sentinel Offender Services LLC will be put to the test Tuesday, however, when Chief Richmond County State Court Judge Richard Slaby asks the commission to approve renewing Sentinel’s contract for another year.

While they’ve agreed in previous years to extend the relationship, some commissioners have questioned whether the private, for-profit probation firm works in the city’s best interest.

“There are 10 pending lawsuits involving Sentinel,” said Commissioner Donnie Smith, a lieutenant with the Georgia State Patrol.“I don’t have any confidence in the Sentinel leadership. I am for sending (the probation contract) out for bids.”

The suits allege Sentinel unlawfully had probationers jailed –some for extended periods –for nonpayment of fees they can’t afford, such as an $80 startup monitoring fee,$6 daily monitoring fee or $12 daily fee for alcohol monitoring. The firm operated for several years in Augusta Superior Court without a contract as required by state law, and last year withdrew from servicing probationers sentenced in superior court in Richmond and Columbia counties.

Commissioner Joe Jackson, who initially expressed skepticism about Sentinel continuing in Richmond County State Court, said Friday the matter was forcing him to choose which judges to believe.

“Who do I trust –do I trust state court or superior court?” Jackson said.

Slaby said all four state court judges want to retain Sentinel. State court has close ties with the firm. Longtime Sentinel Augusta-area manager, Crystal Page, has worked for the city as coordinator over state court’s drug, alcohol and mental health accountability court since 2012.

Related Stories
• Private probation firm hit with new civil suit

• Sentinel employee says warrant procedures not always followed

• Judge extends restraining order in Sentinel case

• Appeals court backs dismissing suit against probation firm

• Judge grants injunction against Sentinel Offender Services

• New suit brought against probation firm Sentinel
U R NUTS

Gillsville, GA

#2 Sep 2, 2013
Each of the above related stories have a hyper-link that did not activate upon posting.

By using the Chronicle hyper-link above you will be linked to the site and article within which you may click upon the related stories.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/...
U R NUTS

Gillsville, GA

#3 Sep 4, 2013
http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Sentinel-P...

News 12 First at Five / Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013

AUGUSTA, Ga.(WRDW)-- Augusta's 15-year relationship with Sentinel Probation just got longer.

Commissioners approved a year contract extension with the company that monitors those sentenced to probation by the courts.

Some are not pleased with that decision, especially with multiple pending lawsuits. Almost as soon as the gavel lands, the fines, fees and court costs start for those given probation.

"I'm trying to get a little bit of work here and there, but the fees down here are just crazy," said Probationer Dale Sweeney.

Sweeney comes to Augusta weekly from Burke County. Sweeney says he was charged with writing bad checks and placed on probation. His total fines with the monthly $25 probation fee come to more than $700.

"Sometimes I ask myself if there's a way out," said Sweeney.

"It seems like the more they get us into the system, The more money they get," said Sweeney.

"I'm very much concerned about the way probationers are treated," said Commissioner Donnie Smith.

Commissioners Smith and Alvin Mason took State Court Judge Richard Slaby to task asking over several lawsuits against the company. It was also mentioned that the company was throwing people in jail for non-payment of probation service.

Judge Slaby denies that claim. Commissioner Mason upset Judge Slaby when he asked whether any of the judges will reap a profit from the company.

"For anybody to suggest that any of the judges have a financial interest in this company is totally unfounded. I'm not going to stand for that kind of an allegation," said Judge Slaby.

Sweeney says he'll continue to pay his dues and hopefully get back on track.
Here is an idea

Norcross, GA

#4 Sep 5, 2013
U R NUTS wrote:
http://www.wrdw.com/home/headl ines/Sentinel-Probation-servic es--222413891.html
News 12 First at Five / Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013
AUGUSTA, Ga.(WRDW)-- Augusta's 15-year relationship with Sentinel Probation just got longer.
Commissioners approved a year contract extension with the company that monitors those sentenced to probation by the courts.
Some are not pleased with that decision, especially with multiple pending lawsuits. Almost as soon as the gavel lands, the fines, fees and court costs start for those given probation.
"I'm trying to get a little bit of work here and there, but the fees down here are just crazy," said Probationer Dale Sweeney.
Sweeney comes to Augusta weekly from Burke County. Sweeney says he was charged with writing bad checks and placed on probation. His total fines with the monthly $25 probation fee come to more than $700.
"Sometimes I ask myself if there's a way out," said Sweeney.
"It seems like the more they get us into the system, The more money they get," said Sweeney.
"I'm very much concerned about the way probationers are treated," said Commissioner Donnie Smith.
Commissioners Smith and Alvin Mason took State Court Judge Richard Slaby to task asking over several lawsuits against the company. It was also mentioned that the company was throwing people in jail for non-payment of probation service.
Judge Slaby denies that claim. Commissioner Mason upset Judge Slaby when he asked whether any of the judges will reap a profit from the company.
"For anybody to suggest that any of the judges have a financial interest in this company is totally unfounded. I'm not going to stand for that kind of an allegation," said Judge Slaby.
Sweeney says he'll continue to pay his dues and hopefully get back on track.
Don't write worthless checks and you have nothing to worry about.
gamule

Jefferson, GA

#5 Sep 5, 2013
worst thing about probation is that as of yet they don't take EBT but I am sure that Pelosi and Obama are working on that one
U R NUTS

Gillsville, GA

#6 Sep 5, 2013
Seems some may be missing the crucial point of these postings.

There has been speculation recently, and in the recent past that possibly some of official capacities within our judicial system “may” be less than trustworthy.

Justice not being blind so to speak, and there being an obvious double standard heretofore, and potentially continuing based upon who you are or aren’t, who you know or don’t, or who you may have offend.

That being said; some suggest that they, or loved ones have been inappropriately targeted and incongruously charged, and/or convicted of uncorroborated offences.

I personally do not know. Nonetheless, I do know this.

There were posting upon this site suggesting or accusing no less than one judge in this circuit of having a financial interest in a “rehabilitation or offender services” type business. Since then, some judges are no longer on the bench.

At some point, Sentinel was mentioned in one thread, I don’t recall which.

So, when I ran across these reports (from another area in GA) regarding Sentinel - I posted them here, for whomever, may have actual reliable evidence or information.

The posting has nothing to do with probationers.

It is interesting to focus upon two primary points in the articles of my postings.

First ... Commissioner Joe Jackson, who initially expressed skepticism about Sentinel continuing in Richmond County State Court, said Friday the matter was forcing him to choose which judges to believe.

Second ... Commissioner Mason upset Judge Slaby when he asked whether any of the judges will reap a profit from the company.

This is strictly related to the scrutiny and investigations (or need thereof) of our judicial systems, probationary services, and any inappropriate collusion involving them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remove Benny Erwin as Coroner 18 min Bob 58
Democrat Convention in Philadelphia 6 hr Trail90 4
Sanders supporters 20 hr Bishop Bullwinkel 4
Hillary Clinton for President ! Mon JB Stoner 62
Cheaters (Jul '15) Jul 25 Tammy 46
Black Lives Matter? Jul 25 Rev Jesse Sharpton 17
What does Blairsville need? Jul 24 Observer 121

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance