First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fud

Dahlonega, GA

#1 Jul 13, 2014
Carful on what you buy half of what we bought was old or half spoiled.
Just a Thought

Jefferson, GA

#2 Jul 13, 2014
Fud wrote:
Carful on what you buy half of what we bought was old or half spoiled.
That's because it is not a true Farmers market. It is only open a few hours a week for farmers to use. Crops get ready to pick when the good lord and the sun and rain decide they are ready and not Lamar Paris. You can buy produce at the store cheaper and of better quality normally.
Independent Voter

Toccoa, GA

#3 Jul 17, 2014
To be honest, we really do not know what we are getting at the farmers market. The local farmers use pesticides on their produce. The use of pesticides has been linked to numerous health problems. I buy certified organic from Walmart and Ingles. I have found the farmers market to be overpriced many times.

Farmers Market is a misleading name. It is more of a flea market competing against other local flea markets. I do not see the attraction myself. I have been here many years and life was just great before the Farmers Market was built. If I was a flea market owner I would be angry that the County is competing with me.
Dr House

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jul 17, 2014
Independent Voter wrote:
Farmers Market is a misleading name. It is more of a flea market competing against other local flea markets. I do not see the attraction myself. I have been here many years and life was just great before the Farmers Market was built. If I was a flea market owner I would be angry that the County is competing with me.
My diagnosis is fits of delusion and a sharp psychological break from reality. Somehow, in the midst of your jaded observations while walking through the farmers market, you happened to not see the volumes of vegetables being sold there each week. Because the majority of the vendors there at the farmers market are selling vegetables, your lack of acknowledgement is either due to walking with your eyes closed or severe delusion. Since I cannot observe any bruising from running into things, I choose the latter. Unfortunately, there is no real treatment. I would be willing to sign you up for electroshock therapy though. While it won't help your condition, it will make me feel a lot better.
Freddy

Cornelia, GA

#5 Jul 17, 2014
Independent Voter wrote:
To be honest, we really do not know what we are getting at the farmers market. The local farmers use pesticides on their produce. The use of pesticides has been linked to numerous health problems. I buy certified organic from Walmart and Ingles. I have found the farmers market to be overpriced many times.
I think it's great it put that shit hole on the K ROAD out of business.
camo

Dawsonville, GA

#6 Jul 23, 2014
home depot sucks no help except the hard working guy who loads.. always helpful and a smile.
Local

Columbus, GA

#7 Aug 13, 2014
Why is it a Flea Market? There is as much stuff that's not from a farm than from a farm or field. Wind chimes, metal works, bird house, jewelry, cakes, etc. just wandering why we allow all this other stuff when it should be from a field or barn. Hence Farmers Market.
could it be

Blairsville, GA

#8 Aug 13, 2014
Local wrote:
Why is it a Flea Market? There is as much stuff that's not from a farm than from a farm or field. Wind chimes, metal works, bird house, jewelry, cakes, etc. just wandering why we allow all this other stuff when it should be from a field or barn. Hence Farmers Market.
Some say it's because we have a type of local government that's dictatorial and he, like Obama, says, "Well, if you don't like it, just sue me."
Local Farmer

Pendergrass, GA

#9 Aug 13, 2014
I have been to many Farmers markets around the country and most, if not all have fresh farm produce and local crafts. In all rural communities particularly in the Appalachian Mountains there is a history of local crafts such as Pottery, (this area is will known for its high quality pottery clay), Basket making , wrought Iron work,wood work, lapidary arts etc. This is how many country folk made a living and put food on their table by using their gifts that they were handed down from one generation to another. It is great that the Union Country Farmers Market encourages these talents and keeps these traditions alive. Farmers Markets are not just Fruit and vegetables but reflect the flavour of the whole community, which may differ from one part of the country to another. The farmers market Management takes great pains to ensure that there is a good balance of Farmers to crafts.
Paris

Alto, GA

#10 Aug 13, 2014
it's a flea market. arts ,crafts and junk.
Not much is grown here.

There is a lot of talk about a new '100 year in farming biz move ins" less than 5 acre farm started this season and pushed by COC. What we are seeing is someone dropping their retirement check playing at family farming.
Local Farmer wrote:
I have been to many Farmers markets around the country and most, if not all have fresh farm produce and local crafts. In all rural communities particularly in the Appalachian Mountains there is a history of local crafts such as Pottery,(this area is will known for its high quality pottery clay), Basket making , wrought Iron work,wood work, lapidary arts etc. This is how many country folk made a living and put food on their table by using their gifts that they were handed down from one generation to another. It is great that the Union Country Farmers Market encourages these talents and keeps these traditions alive. Farmers Markets are not just Fruit and vegetables but reflect the flavour of the whole community, which may differ from one part of the country to another. The farmers market Management takes great pains to ensure that there is a good balance of Farmers to crafts.
Local Farmer

Pendergrass, GA

#11 Aug 13, 2014
Clearly, your motives are political and do not reflect the truth about the best Farmers Market in the area. It is true that in Union, Towns, Clay and Fannin County Farms tend to be small family run operations but this is par for the course in mountain areas Many small Tobacco farmers have diversified to value added crops such as Market Gardens and Ornamental Horticulture but this is a good thing keeping farming in the family. WE need to keep our small farms and encourage more young people to take up farming , even small scale farming . .
Just a Thought

Jefferson, GA

#12 Aug 13, 2014
Local Farmer wrote:
Clearly, your motives are political and do not reflect the truth about the best Farmers Market in the area. It is true that in Union, Towns, Clay and Fannin County Farms tend to be small family run operations but this is par for the course in mountain areas Many small Tobacco farmers have diversified to value added crops such as Market Gardens and Ornamental Horticulture but this is a good thing keeping farming in the family. WE need to keep our small farms and encourage more young people to take up farming , even small scale farming ..
How does the Union County Farmers market encourage any one to enter farming as a business. If you are a true farmer then you must haul your crops to Atlanta or Asheville to sell to the wholesalers. What little is sold at the Union County market wouldn't support a bird.
Local Farmer

Pendergrass, GA

#13 Aug 13, 2014
Direct marketing and Farmers Markets are just two methods of distribution , you are correct, Wholesale Markets are another pipeline to the end user.
Just a Thought

Jefferson, GA

#14 Aug 13, 2014
Local Farmer wrote:
Direct marketing and Farmers Markets are just two methods of distribution , you are correct, Wholesale Markets are another pipeline to the end user.
The farmers market is just a way to get rid of over ripe or hardened produce that can't be picked to go to the wholesalers. Some can be marketed locally but not enough to support a farmer. He would have to have a full time job at something else and farming as a hobby . How many true farmers have you seen at the Union County farmers market? Most there just grew a little extra in their garden or like I said they have produce which has passed it peak and needs to be sold off immediately. It is true however that the sellers get more money for their product than when it is marketed through the normal channels. A good example is peaches. On the Blairsville market they are around $30 for a half bushel where at the Asheville market they run $32 bushel. Course what is on the market in Blairsville did not come from Union County but grown elsewhere and trucked in. Apples will be sold from Blue Ridge and Ellijay and not grown locally.
Watermelons and grapes will be mainly trucked in. The only thing grown locally is corn, tomatoes, okra and beans. Most people grow a couple of hills of cucumber and squash in their back yard so their isn't much of a market for it. The Blairsville market is a flea market and the people that go there are like the people at the NC flea market. Just needed somewhere to go and waste a little time. They will spend their $3 and go home happy that they ran into Jim or George or maybe even the devil himself Lamar.
TEmmettT

Alto, GA

#15 Aug 13, 2014
Clearly my motives are about me paying tax to subsidize a bull sh*t project .

Most any stupid idea will stay afloat as long as you pump money into it from another source.

I don't call any family farm a success that takes my property tax and SLOST tax to make it work.

It is a flea market. And the COC family farm with about 5 acres and a thrown up green house one that is being pushed will not survive. It will take their retirement money to stay active. Notice I never mentioned successful or profit. They are playing and BS ing.
And the county and COC can promote all they want.
And they are doing it with our tax money. Same can be said for the canning plant. It's BS fueled on tax money.

This same kind of management practices is being demonstrated at the Blue Ridge Mountain EMC.
Local Farmer wrote:
Clearly, your motives are political and do not reflect the truth about the best Farmers Market in the area. It is true that in Union, Towns, Clay and Fannin County Farms tend to be small family run operations but this is par for the course in mountain areas Many small Tobacco farmers have diversified to value added crops such as Market Gardens and Ornamental Horticulture but this is a good thing keeping farming in the family. WE need to keep our small farms and encourage more young people to take up farming , even small scale farming ..
Mavis in Blairsville

Carnesville, GA

#16 Aug 13, 2014
If you don't like the local farmers market, do not go !

I'm sorry YOUR tax dollars may have funded it, but so did MINE and many others who do enjoy it and buy products sold there.

Unfortunately we cannot direct our individual tax dollars to whatever project or service we approve of, or divert tax dollars away from projects and services we don's approve of.

If your taxes are so overwhelming in Union County, either run for commissioner or move back to wherever it was you moved here from.
Local Farmer

Pendergrass, GA

#17 Aug 13, 2014
Mavis in Blairsville wrote:
If you don't like the local farmers market, do not go !
I'm sorry YOUR tax dollars may have funded it, but so did MINE and many others who do enjoy it and buy products sold there.
Unfortunately we cannot direct our individual tax dollars to whatever project or service we approve of, or divert tax dollars away from projects and services we don's approve of.
If your taxes are so overwhelming in Union County, either run for commissioner or move back to wherever it was you moved here from.
Well said Mavis. This is a democratic society and democracy rules. The few people who don't like it or just complain all the time or are just ignorant can vote at the next election . Just remember there a a lot more people who support and appreciate the Farmers Market than oppose it.
Local Farmer

Pendergrass, GA

#18 Aug 13, 2014
By the way, have you ever stood by one of those local farmers that you think can't make a living from the local traffic at the market and counted the dollars they take? Have you ever counted how many truck loads of corn are sold out of that market in one single day? Have you ever picked in the field until after dark and gotten yourself up at 4AM to finish loading your truck in order to arrive and set up at the market in time for the 8AM customer? Until you try it, don't knock it.
Mountaingirl

Demorest, GA

#19 Aug 13, 2014
I love the Farmers Market-it is one of my favorite things in Blairsville, I think if some folks get to heaven they will complain that it is too high!
As Mavis has pointed out, attendance at the market is not mandatory.
TEmmettT

Alto, GA

#20 Aug 13, 2014
BS
Yeah, all the produce trucks really tie up the traffic in Union County! Lol
Local Farmer wrote:
By the way, have you ever stood by one of those local farmers that you think can't make a living from the local traffic at the market and counted the dollars they take? Have you ever counted how many truck loads of corn are sold out of that market in one single day? Have you ever picked in the field until after dark and gotten yourself up at 4AM to finish loading your truck in order to arrive and set up at the market in time for the 8AM customer? Until you try it, don't knock it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christian Nation = Revisionist History (Jun '10) 7 min GOP 27
BRMEMC minutes of Board Meeting 48 min Just a Thought 18
Gay Marriage 57 min Oh my 64
Good Neighbors in Florida 1 hr Timmy_ 10
Our New Sheriffs Dept (Jan '13) 10 hr Just Mike 1,013
Time To Clean Up Union County 20 hr GOP 339
Snow Poem Mon Timmy_ 11
Blairsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web