United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

In all actuality the 6.5% of the cars value is a joke. Where are they getting their assisted values from i know its not Kellys blue book i think that this is going to be just away for the government to get more money out of us the tax payers just to line there already over paid pockets with.
Well David

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

David wrote:
In all actuality the 6.5% of the cars value is a joke. Where are they getting their assisted values from i know its not Kellys blue book i think that this is going to be just away for the government to get more money out of us the tax payers just to line there already over paid pockets with.

Well David, if you consider the 6.5% replaces the sales tax when you buy a car it's a good deal.

Say you buy a car from a dealer for $20,000. Your sales tax would be 7% of that $20k which means you pay $1400 dollars in taxes. But with the new 6.5% tax you pay only $1300 dollars. Not only do you save $100 dollars, you also save every year when you buy a new tag because you don't have to pay the ad valorem tax every time you renew your tag.
Which is cheaper for you?

Well David

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

David wrote:

Go to this website and enter the data for your car and you will see the valuation of the car placed on it by the State.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.asp...
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Well Well David, it doesn't quite work like that. It doesn't matter what price you pay for the car. It all depends on what the state of Ga says it's worth. Before if you paid $20k for a car the sales tax would be $1400, now if you pay $20k for the car but the state of Ga has decided the car is worth $30k even though it has dents and over 80k miles you will be paying $1950. The states value doesn't take into consideration the mileage or condition.
Well David wrote:
<quoted text>
Well David, if you consider the 6.5% replaces the sales tax when you buy a car it's a good deal.
Say you buy a car from a dealer for $20,000. Your sales tax would be 7% of that $20k which means you pay $1400 dollars in taxes. But with the new 6.5% tax you pay only $1300 dollars. Not only do you save $100 dollars, you also save every year when you buy a new tag because you don't have to pay the ad valorem tax every time you renew your tag.
Which is cheaper for you?
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

nope wrote:
Well Well David, it doesn't quite work like that. It doesn't matter what price you pay for the car. It all depends on what the state of Ga says it's worth. Before if you paid $20k for a car the sales tax would be $1400, now if you pay $20k for the car but the state of Ga has decided the car is worth $30k even though it has dents and over 80k miles you will be paying $1950. The states value doesn't take into consideration the mileage or condition. <quoted text>

Well nope.
Did you go to the website and check the value of your vehicle?

I did and my car is valued at the low end of Blue book, Edmunds, and Black Book.
happy

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Well David wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to this website and enter the data for your car and you will see the valuation of the car placed on it by the State.
I think that calculates the old tax, not the new 6.5% tax. I put in a car that they said the value of was just under $6000 and they showed the tax as being about $103. 6.5% would be closer to $400.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Well yes, yes I did. And their value is more than I paid for it almost 2 years ago. They use NADA "clean retail". They also don't take mileage into account. So if I bought a 2010 vehicle with 100k I would pay the same tax that a person buying the same car with 10k miles would pay. Something just ain't right about that. A car dealer said he noticed that on older cars NADA was usually less than the vehicle was worth but on later model ones the value was quite a bit more than the car is really worth.
Well nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Well nope.
Did you go to the website and check the value of your vehicle?
I did and my car is valued at the low end of Blue book, Edmunds, and Black Book.
Well happy

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that calculates the old tax, not the new 6.5% tax. I put in a car that they said the value of was just under $6000 and they showed the tax as being about $103. 6.5% would be closer to $400.
Well happy.
The website is ONLY good for valuation of a vehicle.
There are 2 methods for taxing on a vehicle.
The 6.5% ONLY applies to vehicles purchased after March 1.
What you are probably seeing is the AD VALOREM tax on vehicles owned before March 1. This method will continue as long as you own the vehicle.
The change to the 6.5% tax (that replaces the sales tax when you buy a vehicle) only affects vehicles purchased after March 1.
The Sate and Local government will still use the same valuation shown on their website.
A newly purchased vehicle after March 1 will pay 6.5% on the full valuation price.
Vehicles owned before March 1 will continue to pay the AD VALOREM based on 40% of the valuation of the vehicle.
In other words, if you buy a new vehicle any time from the present into the future you will pay the 6.5%(will change to 7% next year)
as a one time tax on the vehicle.
You will not have to pay an AD VALOREM every year when you purchase your tag. All you will pay is for the tag,$20 at present, and no other fees.
That one time 6.5% tax will replace the sales tax you have to pay when buying a new vehicle, sales tax at present is 7%.
Bottom line is the State is now in the business of setting the values on vehicles.
If you pay more for a vehicle than the valuation set by the State, you get a break.
If you pay less than the value set by the State, you're going to pay on the value set by the State, not what you paid for it.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

nope wrote:
Well yes, yes I did. And their value is more than I paid for it almost 2 years ago. They use NADA "clean retail". They also don't take mileage into account. So if I bought a 2010 vehicle with 100k I would pay the same tax that a person buying the same car with 10k miles would pay. Something just ain't right about that. A car dealer said he noticed that on older cars NADA was usually less than the vehicle was worth but on later model ones the value was quite a bit more than the car is really worth.<quoted text>

Well nope. You're not going to have to pay that 6.5% tax because it does not APPLY to vehicles purchased 2 years ago.
You will continue to pay the AD VALOREM tax every year when you buy your tag, the same as you have been paying since you've owned the vehicle.

The new law ONLY applies to vehicles purchased after March 1, 2013.

IOt's a good deal if you buy a car this year and keep it for more than 5 years. A bad deal if you buy today and buy again in 2 years.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

The tax can go up as high as 9%. And I would just about bet that soon the $20 for the tag will go up to the same amount we used to pay in ad valorem taxes. And I'm sure they still charge to transfer a title too. It used to be $18 but it's probably more now. I don't see a "deal" in this for the taxpayers at all.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Well no **it sherlock. You asked me if I had looked the value of my vehicle up and I told you yes. Lower income people can't afford a newer car so they have to buy older ones, which will probably last a year or two and then they'll have to buy another one. So they get to pay more tax than a more well off person who buys a low mileage car and keeps it for 10 years.
Well nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Well nope. You're not going to have to pay that 6.5% tax because it does not APPLY to vehicles purchased 2 years ago.
You will continue to pay the AD VALOREM tax every year when you buy your tag, the same as you have been paying since you've owned the vehicle.
The new law ONLY applies to vehicles purchased after March 1, 2013.
IOt's a good deal if you buy a car this year and keep it for more than 5 years. A bad deal if you buy today and buy again in 2 years.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

From NADA on my vehicle

ROUGH AVERAGE CLEAN CLEAN
Trade-in Trade-in Trade-in Retail

Base Price $7,700 $8,825 $9,725 $12,450
Mileage 120,000
-$1,525 -$1,525 -$1,525 -$1,525

TOTAL PRICE:$6,175 $7,300 $8,200 $10,925

The above is pretty much the same as Edmunds and the others.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

nope wrote:
The tax can go up as high as 9%. And I would just about bet that soon the $20 for the tag will go up to the same amount we used to pay in ad valorem taxes. And I'm sure they still charge to transfer a title too. It used to be $18 but it's probably more now. I don't see a "deal" in this for the taxpayers at all.

You get no argument from me about this because you are probably right.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

nope wrote:
Well no **it sherlock. You asked me if I had looked the value of my vehicle up and I told you yes. Lower income people can't afford a newer car so they have to buy older ones, which will probably last a year or two and then they'll have to buy another one. So they get to pay more tax than a more well off person who buys a low mileage car and keeps it for 10 years. <quoted text>

I said as much in my post.

It's a good deal if you buy a car this year and keep it for more than 5 years. A bad deal if you buy today and buy again in 2 years.

A bad deal if you buy today and buy again in 2 years.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Well good for you. Keep in mind the state value doesn't take mileage or condition into consideration. So if 2 people bought the same car except one only had 10k miles and the other had 200k miles they would both have to pay the same amount of tax.
nope

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Good night well nope it was good talking with you.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

nope wrote:
Well no **it sherlock. You asked me if I had looked the value of my vehicle up and I told you yes. Lower income people can't afford a newer car so they have to buy older ones, which will probably last a year or two and then they'll have to buy another one. So they get to pay more tax than a more well off person who buys a low mileage car and keeps it for 10 years. <quoted text>

Both political parties ALWAYS screw the poor.

so do Slum Lords.

It's what they do.

Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

nope wrote:

One last question.
When you have to buy another car in a year or 2, are you going to pay a sales tax on that car?

If you do pay a sales tax, the 6.5% replaces that sales tax.

If you buy from an individual and pay no tax then it will hit you hard as you will have to pay the 6.5%. And you have a valid bitch on the tax.
Well nope

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Good night.
Essert

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Well David wrote:
<quoted text>
It gave me ad valorem tax, not a vehicle value.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Blairsville Forum right now

Search the Blairsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
internmnt camp children 38 min Curmudgeon 8
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 1 hr silverfox 50,398
BRMEMC bylaws 5 hr Ron 3
mobile detailing (Dec '10) 15 hr Courtney Galler 8
Bank Closing 17 hr Is it true 22
Union County Development Authority 17 hr Thick headed 27
Lamar Pars/SPLOST/Revenue Bonds and lies he told (Sep '12) 19 hr commenting 179
•••
•••

Blairsville News Video

•••
•••

Blairsville Jobs

•••