Union County Commissioner's Salary
2013 raise

Commerce, GA

#102 Dec 23, 2013
Section 6. Salary.
(a) The commissioner shall receive an annual salary which shall be equal to $4,800.00 above the annual salary now or hereafter received by the elective county officer of Union County who receives the highest annual salary pursuant to general or local law. For purposes of this subsection, the elective county officers of Union County shall be the clerk of the superior court, sheriff, judge of the probate court and tax commissioner of Union County. Such salary for the commissioner shall be paid in equal monthly installments from the funds of Union County.
(b) In addition to the compensation provided for by subsection (a) of this section, the commissioner shall receive an expense allowance of $200.00 per month to reimburse said officer for expenses incurred in carrying out official duties within Union County. Said officer shall also be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred by said officer when traveling outside of Union County on official business. The expenses provided for in this subsection shall be paid from the funds of Union County. In the event said officer uses said officer's personal automobile in carrying out official duties, the expenses for the maintenance and operation of said automobile shall be paid from county funds, and such expenses shall be in addition to other expenses provided for by this subsection.

Section 10. Power over employees' compensation.
(a) The commissioner shall have the exclusive power and authority to appoint, remove and fix the compensation of all employees of the county.
(b) The appointment and removal of, and the compensation to be paid to, persons filling offices and positions created by state statute, where not otherwise prescribed by such statute, shall be made and fixed by the commissioner.

http://library6.municode.com/default-test/hom...
2013 raise

Commerce, GA

#103 Dec 23, 2013
Was Taxpayers' Money Spent Without Consent?
Tax Dollars Spent Without Legal Authorization
TOWNS COUNTY, Ga.—
Citizens of a small north Georgia community are learning that hundreds of thousands of their tax dollars were spent without legal authorization.
WEB EXTRA: So How Much Did Taxpayers Shell Out?
In a Whistleblower 2 investigation, Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Richard Belcher discovered that the money went to three local officials – two of whom said they saw nothing wrong with it. The third person is in prison, and the man who approved the payments is dead.
Belcher said the payments, referred to as local supplements, are often paid to sheriffs and court clerks, for example, whose minimum salaries are set by the state – then supplemented by local counties. If a county wants to pay extra, it has to receive legal approval to do so.
Becky Landress, editor of the local newspaper, Towns Sentinel, said she was baffled.
“I didn't even know, honestly, what a supplement was,” said Landress.
Former Towns County Commissioner Truman Barrett said he was aware of supplements, but didn’t know any were being paid out.
“I was surprised … obviously because … there was no record,” Barrett said.
Current County Commissioner Bill Kendell didn't want to talk to Channel 2 Action News about his decision to quit issuing payments. Landress said getting any information was hard.
“It was over, done with and he had fixed it. That was his way of thinking,” said Landress.
But what had happened in Towns County, near the North Carolina state line, was so rare, that the county attorney said he couldn’t find another such incident anywhere in Georgia.
For a county with a lot of poor people, the estimated $20,000 extra annual payouts for three county officials, was a lot of money. To put it in perspective, some families of 4 or five live off just that supplement amount.
“If you take 20 years, at which it appears to have been in existence with the four people involved, that would add up to a $1.6 million,” said Barrett.
The payments went to long-time sheriff Rudy Eller, who is now in prison for a case unrelated to the supplements, to long time court clerk Cecil Dye.
“You see anything wrong with what happened, asked Belcher.”“No, it was perfectly legal, according to the law. But then a new commissioner came in and took a look at it and said, I'm not doing this. Well, that's his prerogative,” said Dye.
2013 raise

Commerce, GA

#104 Dec 23, 2013
Long time probate judge Wayne Garrett, who lost his reelection bid last year, also received payments.
“Did he do it legally?" asked Belcher.
“I guess. He was the commissioner,” said Garrett.
The current commissioner doesn't think he did it legally, asked Belcher.“Well, now that's between them. He's dead,” said Garrett.
And therein lies the mystery. The old commissioner, Jack Dayton, died in 2005 after 17 years in office.
While he ran Towns County, there was no public announcement of any pay supplements.
There's not a word in the official minutes at the court house in Hiawassee. Not a problem, said the clerk.
“He can adjust the pay from time to time,” said Dye.
“But you can't explain why there's no reference to it in the minutes,” asked Belcher.“I wouldn't have any idea about that,” said Dye.
But there's no evidence that commissioner Dayton did what makes it legal, the part where someone reads the proposal in public -- twice -- before spending the taxpayers' money of Towns or any other county.
“If it's not written down in the minutes, it doesn't legally exist?” asked Belcher.“Well, that's the way I would interpret it,” said Barrett.
Landress said people ask her how long it went on.
“And I feel like my hands are tied there on answering that for them because I have no way of knowing how long these were paid. I just don't,” said Landress.
Barrett calls it politics.
“It doesn't stop just with Chicago or Washington. It comes all the way down to places like Towns County,” said Barrett.
When commissioner Kendell first discovered the payments in 2007, he tried to stop them right away. But the probate judge argued that he had what amounted to a contract for that money until the end of his term, so the unauthorized payments continued for another 24 months.
Commissioner Kendell finally stopped the payments in January.
Merry BS

Chantilly, VA

#105 Dec 24, 2013
Richard Belcher also came to Union County with promise of financial scandals galore, only to find out the girl had been crying wolf. Richard Belcher, who prides himself on his ability to uncover and expose financial corruption, especially within government. His findings? Much ado about nothing. So bah humbug to ACOG and a very, merry tenure for Lamar Paris for as long as he may seek to hold the position of Sole Commissioner of Union County.
Just a thought

Commerce, GA

#106 Dec 24, 2013
Merry BS wrote:
Richard Belcher also came to Union County with promise of financial scandals galore, only to find out the girl had been crying wolf. Richard Belcher, who prides himself on his ability to uncover and expose financial corruption, especially within government. His findings? Much ado about nothing. So bah humbug to ACOG and a very, merry tenure for Lamar Paris for as long as he may seek to hold the position of Sole Commissioner of Union County.
I wish I could buy Turd Paris for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth. And a merry Christmas to you ole unworthy one.
xylene

Morganton, GA

#107 Dec 24, 2013
Merry BS wrote:
You poor misguided sole.are you sure of Richard Belcher? Is he a reputable man,
Merry BS

Flemingsburg, KY

#108 Dec 24, 2013
xylene wrote:
<quoted text>You poor misguided sole.are you sure of Richard Belcher? Is he a reputable man,
Typical conspiracy nut BS. If he doesn't agree with you then he must be crooked, corrupt, and on the take. Just like any citizen that doesn't agree with these crazy conspiracy theories must be a county employee or doing business with the county. BS all around.

Richard Belcher's list of the last 50 investigative stories he worked on looks pretty impressive to me. This is a man that lives for nailing government heads to the wall - when there's something there to nail them for.
www.wsbtv.com/staff/richard-belcher/stories/
Mown

Morganton, GA

#109 Dec 26, 2013
Merry BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical conspiracy nut BS. If he doesn't agree with you then he must be crooked, corrupt, and on the take. Just like any citizen that doesn't agree with these crazy conspiracy theories must be a county employee or doing business with the county. BS all around.
Richard Belcher's list of the last 50 investigative stories he worked on looks pretty impressive to me. This is a man that lives for nailing government heads to the wall - when there's something there to nail them for.
www.wsbtv.com/staff/richard-belcher/stories/
Now i is a thinking that the one you mentioned as being a trustworthy politician , i have noticed his picture is always on the front page of the county paper,along with the other criminals.
Preyer-ful

Morganton, GA

#110 Dec 26, 2013
The tax grench,stole my christmas.
Ceasless

Morganton, GA

#111 Dec 30, 2013
I am the one,that got us into the 21 st. century.My salary very well should be six figures !
Willie James

Canton, GA

#112 Dec 30, 2013
Ceasless wrote:
I am the one,that got us into the 21 st. century.My salary very well should be six figures !
It is and much more . Yall just don`t understand .
Drawl

Morganton, GA

#113 Dec 30, 2013
Members of congress get $174,000 each year, give the commissioner twenty years and he will surpass them!
good one

Waynesville, NC

#114 Jan 1, 2014
Any explanations on how Lamar is making so much money?
Gardner

Morganton, GA

#115 Jan 1, 2014
good one wrote:
Any explanations on how Lamar is making so much money?
I don't know but a good place to start would be to ask the tax payers.
good one

Waynesville, NC

#116 Jan 1, 2014
I read some where on Topix that his salary increased $18,000 just 2 years after he took office. I wonder if he wanted to make all he could just incase he did not get re-elected. What he thinks he is woth and what the tax payers knows he's worth is two different things.

We could easily afford a 5 commissioner board. The board members in other surrounding counties make $250.00 month. Cut the commissioners salary in half and we have a increase in the county budget. Get rid of his right hand man making another $75,000 cut that in half, another increase in the county budget. Then get rid of the SORRY Development Authority that we pay $170,000 a year to and furnish a car to, another increase in the county budget.

Time for the taxpayers to step up and take on the commissioner.
Drawl

Morganton, GA

#117 Jan 1, 2014
good one wrote:
I read some where on Topix that his salary increased $18,000 just 2 years after he took office. I wonder if he wanted to make all he could just incase he did not get re-elected. What he thinks he is woth and what the tax payers knows he's worth is two different things.
We could easily afford a 5 commissioner board. The board members in other surrounding counties make $250.00 month. Cut the commissioners salary in half and we have a increase in the county budget. Get rid of his right hand man making another $75,000 cut that in half, another increase in the county budget. Then get rid of the SORRY Development Authority that we pay $170,000 a year to and furnish a car to, another increase in the county budget.
Time for the taxpayers to step up and take on the commissioner.
Gross waste seems to be the name of the game with our current leadership in local government.It's high time that the tax payers demand an accounting of where our tax dollars are being used.
uct

Blue Ridge, GA

#118 Jan 1, 2014
You can demand all you want but will not get any real answers. There is no real, verifiable accounting of our tax dollars

“Skin a Floridian”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#119 Jan 1, 2014
uct wrote:
You can demand all you want but will not get any real answers. There is no real, verifiable accounting of our tax dollars
Dam !! Iz cants believe thet a person is postin ons this here thread thet posted somethan thet makes all youse other posters out the dummys you is. Iz hopes yore self keeps postin. You is the only thinker iz seens so fer.
Phrenology

Morganton, GA

#120 Jan 2, 2014
Chainsaw Five wrote:
<quoted text> Dam !! Iz cants believe thet a person is postin ons this here thread thet posted somethan thet makes all youse other posters out the dummys you is. Iz hopes yore self keeps postin. You is the only thinker iz seens so fer.
So really whats youse mean is ,we is skrewed and they nothing wes can do about it (exceptin to vote republican) whens the election comes up again.
Ovule

Blue Ridge, GA

#121 Jan 3, 2014
Phrenology wrote:
<quoted text>So really whats youse mean is ,we is skrewed and they nothing wes can do about it (exceptin to vote republican) whens the election comes up again.
To bad it was not a clean sweep last election!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Worst steak ever. What happened Horrible cust... Sat MMA FIGHTER 13
Rib Country Waitress Sat really 115
Colwell Detention Center (Oct '11) Jul 22 Des 62
need "good" heating and air conditioning service (Sep '09) Jul 21 Coralou Bramblett 54
Coosa Heights trailer park Jul 19 He said she said 7
Brmemc candidates Jul 19 Well 8
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) Jul 19 The real facts 486

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blairsville Mortgages