Laws pertaining to GA Open Records Ac...

Laws pertaining to GA Open Records Act .....

Posted in the Blairsville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
boodoodle

United States

#1 Jan 23, 2011
re: Open Records Act GA

http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,8767 ...
boodoodle

United States

#2 Jan 23, 2011
Consequences .... failure to comply with Open Records Act:

The above is from the GA Attorney General .... you may need to talk to someone in his office.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4 Jan 23, 2011
Consequences of ignoring requests for public records and state law seemingly are at times ignored in Union County...because "the king" has decided on his own that they don't apply to him!
State Laws

Cleveland, GA

#5 Jan 23, 2011
boodoodle wrote:
The above is from the GA Attorney General .... you may need to talk to someone in his office.
Here's some info. Notice is says any person or entity could bring action and the Superior Courts of the state have jurisdiction to entertain those actions

Open Records

I. STATUTE -- BASIC APPLICATION

E. Who enforces the act?

The superior courts of the state have jurisdiction to entertain actions for enforcement of the Act and to assess civil and criminal penalties for noncompliance. O.C.G.A.§ 50-17-73(a),(b). These actions may be brought by any person or entity, or by the Attorney General, in his or her discretion. O.C.G.A.§ 50-17-73(b).
State Laws

Cleveland, GA

#6 Jan 23, 2011
Does this pertain to the subject?

§ 50-18-70.
(f) The individual in control of such public record or records shall have a reasonable amount of time to determine whether or not the record or records requested are subject to access under this article and to permit inspection and copying. In no event shall this time exceed three business days. Where responsive records exist but are not available within three business days of the request, a written description of such records, together with a timetable for their inspection and copying, shall be provided within that period;
ACOG

Jefferson, GA

#7 Jan 23, 2011
boodoodle wrote:
In October I sent the Attoney General several things that Lamar has done. That was under Thurbert Baker. I never heard back. When Sam Olens was in Blairsville I told him how Lamar is keeping me from getting all these records. He gave me the name of the attorney to contact in his office. I am just sitting back and keeping notes that go back two years and when I am ready I will let lose. This money belongs to the taxpayers of this county and it is time for EVERYONE to stand up and stop this man from giving YOUR MONEY away. Just like when I asked Lamar what if the SPLOST vote does not pass how is the county going to pay for the Golf project. "I WILL JUST RAISE YOUR TAXES" Lamar already has the county in debt over 5 million dollars. I don't know about the rest of you but with these heating bills and taxes I don't have much left to live on.

PLEASE WAKE UP UNION COUNTY.

DO YOU THINK THE ACOG IS HAVING FUN? I would rather be playing with my 9 grandchildren. But...I want a better place for them to live.

PRAY for UNION COUNTY and OUR NATION
ACOG

Jefferson, GA

#8 Jan 23, 2011
Lamar Paris is the Sole Commissioner HE THINKS HE OWNS THIS COUNTY. He told me once if you don't like it you can get out of my COUNTY. Lamar thinks he can make all the rules. Just like on PRIVATE ROADS.

When I asked for Lamars boss once I was told he did not have a boss. In a meeting (I have it on tape) I told him "YES YOU DO IT IS THE TAXPAYERS" Well, I hope in the end Lamar will know that I was right. WE the TAXPAYERS own this County not Lamar & Friends.
ACOG

Jefferson, GA

#9 Jan 23, 2011
I am going to use this link to keep everyone up dated on my quest for the TAXPAYERS INFORMATION in the courthouse.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Lamar is cooperating, but according to the Open Records Act, as I read it, an office can set guidelines and time frames when a person can access material. Knowing Lamar, his cooperation is exactly within the law. I'm positive he is aware that ACOG will whine to her audience on TOPIX, but it appears Lamar has researched his area of responsibility in regards to ACOG's unusual presence

Location hidden

#11 Jan 23, 2011
and demands.
Harley

Cornelia, GA

#12 Jan 23, 2011
ACOG wrote:
Lamar Paris is the Sole Commissioner HE THINKS HE OWNS THIS COUNTY. He told me once if you don't like it you can get out of my COUNTY. Lamar thinks he can make all the rules. Just like on PRIVATE ROADS.
When I asked for Lamars boss once I was told he did not have a boss. In a meeting (I have it on tape) I told him "YES YOU DO IT IS THE TAXPAYERS" Well, I hope in the end Lamar will know that I was right. WE the TAXPAYERS own this County not Lamar & Friends.
I pray you move!
John

Cleveland, GA

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Harley wrote:
<quoted text>I pray you move!
Childish .

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#14 Jan 23, 2011
I tried to read the open records Act. It was like reading ACOG and MV. I went to sleep 5 times. The last time I hit the key board on my forehead. Now, I have an imprint of the QWERTY on my 'noggin' and my head is throbbing.

There should be a warning on TOPIX: Reading Topix may cause you to drive over a cliff, headache, diminished IQ, RPS (Repetitive Post Syndrome), and beating my perfectly good computer with a hammer.
Harley

Cornelia, GA

#15 Jan 23, 2011
Thanks
State Laws

Cleveland, GA

#16 Jan 24, 2011
GA Peach Blairsville wrote:
Lamar is cooperating, but according to the Open Records Act, as I read it, an office can set guidelines and time frames when a person can access material.
Please notice the 3-day requirement in the law. Specifically,
"... and to permit inspection and copying. In no event shall this time exceed three business days."

It seems, clearly, he has, at most, 3 business days to determine if they fall under the law AND permit inspection AND copying. That's not determining if they can be inspected and copied. The "determine" part is only to determine if they are open records.

§ 50-18-70.
(f) The individual in control of such public record or records shall have a reasonable amount of time to determine whether or not the record or records requested are subject to access under this article and to permit inspection and copying. In no event shall this time exceed three business days. Where responsive records exist but are not available within three business days of the request, a written description of such records, together with a timetable for their inspection and copying, shall be provided within that period;
Clara

Cleveland, GA

#17 Jan 24, 2011
sponge bob 30512 wrote:
Consequences of ignoring requests for public records and state law seemingly are at times ignored in Union County...because "the king" has decided on his own that they don't apply to him!
How can anyone concieve that Lamar is not ignoring and breaking state laws ?
Total Recall

Richlands, VA

#18 Jan 24, 2011
conceive that locals want him to break the law long as the jobs go to their kin people

Location hidden

#19 Jan 24, 2011
State Laws wrote:
<quoted text>
Please notice the 3-day requirement in the law. Specifically,
"... and to permit inspection and copying. In no event shall this time exceed three business days."
It seems, clearly, he has, at most, 3 business days to determine if they fall under the law AND permit inspection AND copying. That's not determining if they can be inspected and copied. The "determine" part is only to determine if they are open records.
§ 50-18-70.
Additionally, the law states that a custodian must be present while documents are being viewed and copies can be made of the documents providing the copies are made where the documents are located. ACOG is abusing the process by 'demanding' so many documents and manpower paid by tax payers is being utilized.
I hope Lamar's office is charging for copying and staff time.
The law stipulates the maximum charge.

It seems that people are reading the law and picking out sections that only apply to the public, but not the protection given the holder of the documents.

The law works both ways!

Location hidden

#20 Jan 24, 2011
Phil Good wrote:
I tried to read the open records Act. It was like reading ACOG and MV. I went to sleep 5 times. The last time I hit the key board on my forehead. Now, I have an imprint of the QWERTY on my 'noggin' and my head is throbbing.
There should be a warning on TOPIX: Reading Topix may cause you to drive over a cliff, headache, diminished IQ, RPS (Repetitive Post Syndrome), and beating my perfectly good computer with a hammer.
It is boring, I must admit, but the misfits will have difficulty interpreting any part of the law that does not apply directly to ACOG and her HUGE following.

Lamar knows exactly what he is doing and I love it.
boodoodle

United States

#21 Jan 24, 2011
GA Peach Blairsville wrote:
<quoted text>
Additionally, the law states that a custodian must be present while documents are being viewed and copies can be made of the documents providing the copies are made where the documents are located. ACOG is abusing the process by 'demanding' so many documents and manpower paid by tax payers is being utilized.
I hope Lamar's office is charging for copying and staff time.
ACOG has stated that he WON'T let HER use the copier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blairsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are there any blacks in Blairsville? (Oct '08) 38 min Save Our Mountains 402
BRMEMC Director Candidates 3 hr My Opinion 36
Nick Townsend -- UNION GENERAL 5 hr Local 19
Re-Elect Lamar Paris 2016 7 hr slowpoks boy 384
Opinions on Farm Fresh Processing. Sun JDC30512 4
Local real estate agencies Sun Steve 2
Sentinel Offender Services Sun Bobbie 2

Blairsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance