Vernon body dumping case opens

Full story: New Jersey Herald

Edward Mundt walked into the courtroom Monday afternoon, looked at the John Mitchell family and shook his head, appearing to profess his innocence.
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
teia

Selinsgrove, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2007

Judged:

missing johnny
Shannon

Brick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2007

Judged:

I don't believe that Edward Mundt is guilty! I think he is being framed by John's wife and I also believe that her brother and mother also had something to do with it! There are to many things in this case that are "fishy" as far as his wife goes. She didn't report him missing for a week? It doesn't matter if he had dissappeared for days before you still report him missing for god sakes he is your husband, the father of your children and the person you love most in the world, how do you go an entire week not knowing where he is and not do something? Also she tried to figure out a way to get 1 of his life insurance policies that lists his youngest child as the beneficiary changed to list her as the beneficiary.. Why? She also redid her house like a week or 2 after his death.. who does that after just losing their husband. She refused to allow her children to speak to a therepist or even the family minister after they just lost their father.. AGAIN WHY? What is she trying to hide? The police should make her, her brother, and her mother take a polygraph because I honestly believe that they had something to do with it.
family member of johnny

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

Judged:

Shannon, please don't post anything more. Things like this can be very hurtful to family members. What you wrote is not correct. The case is in the courts and the facts will come out.
Friend of Mitchell family

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2007

Judged:

Shannon, You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about! I know the family personally and know for a fact that nothing you said here is true. It is so wrong to accuse this grieving family of having ANYTHING to do with his death. Who are you anyway?
Friend of Mitchell Family

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2007

Judged:

Shannon, My question to you is do you know what its like to lose your husband???? Esp in that kind of a way? No you dont so If I were you I would stop making false assumptions! I recently lost my husband in a car accident and it is the hardest thing you ever have to go through. And They have children. If you really knew her than you would know that this crap you just posted is a bunch of BULL!!!!! She has been through enough. She doesnt need someone who has NO idea what they are talking about to post such horrible stuff about her. Id advise you get a LIFE!
Friend of Ed Mundt

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

Judged:

The truth shall prevail.

Ed did not kill anyone.

Drugs, ignorance and turning a blind eye killed.
Reef

Irvington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

Judged:

Believe me Teia is not setting John up. I knew him very personally .Johnny was my son's godfather as well as my best friend. John was with Eddie that night because they were waiting on another person that night and I know who the person was that they were waitig on. It's not a setup but I believe some money was involved in this murder. See John was worth more alive than dead the insurance told Teia that John was worth more alive than dead BEFORE all of this happened so believe it was not a setup
Reef

Irvington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

Judged:

[Shannon also listen. She remolded the house because she didnt want a whole bunch of things to remind ooher of her husband who was not there. Shedidnt report him missing cause it wasnt uncommon for John to be a way for like a week at a time . I know this because I would try to catch him all the time and he wouldnt be there for like days, so it's nothing fishy about that. I use to go to John's house all the time andsometimes when i'd get there he wasn't even there and i would have to come back or try to catch him somewhere. And if your significant other died wouldn't you try to have an insurance policy moved as well to make sure your children were taken care of being that would never see their father again?
Karen

Sidney, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

Judged:

I am very sorry for your sorrow.

However, you all knew Johns drug problems. What did you do to stop him?

Lets face facts, he did drugs for a long time.

He made a lot of money at work and his side interest were ignored. Once again he made a lot of money at work. It paid the bills.

He went missing for days at a time, as a norm???????
What the fuck?

He OD'd

It is that simple.

He did a lot of drugs and now the drugs did him.

If you want to be mad at anyone be mad at yourselves.

You condoned his drug use and ignored it.

Now you are shocked he is dead? Please. You watched a man fall.

What did you do about it?

Now you scream murder?

LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

What did you do about Johns drug use??

What did you do about it?

What did you do?

Nothing??????????
Lexi

Parkville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

Judged:

If it was an OD then why was he found with a bagged taped over his head. Why would Ms. Mitchell not check on her husband. Simply this. My husband works in New York. He stays with friends during the week and comes home on the weekends. I don't talk to him every day. To me thats normal.
jers

Irvington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

No disrepect but are you out of your fuckin mind? If he OD how the fuck did they find his body dumped on the highway, with a bag over his head and strangalation marks on his neck. I knew John for all his life and he didnt commit suicide. I knew where John was supposed to be the night it happened and yes he was with Eddie that night because they were supposed to meet someone i knew!! I can't believe you would say something as stupid as you did. You obviously dont know the facts in this case and are going off wat your HEARING and not what you know. Please have your facts straight before making assanine statements as the one you have made
bean

Sparta, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

Judged:

I live near the road where they found the body. Detectives came around and asked if they've noticed anything strange going on the past few days. On this quiet street, nothing ever happens. I have no idea who this person is and I only know what I've read in the papers, but drug problem of not, this man died. Broken family or not, this man had a family. Maybe people should look at that instead of his mistakes. I feel bad for everyone involved and from what the police told us...it was murder. One question, 1 mile down the road is a wildlife refuge with nothing but woods for miles....why would they dump the body alongside the highway?
Larry

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

When does the trial start?
A friend

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Judged:

He was murdered, he didnt od. and for someone to think he overdosed , that was very ignorant to even say! he was found on the side of the road MURDERED!!! His trial will prove it all and let Justice serve his peace! He had problems just like a lot of people have, and to the ignorant "Karen" you can't stop murder from happening... He had a supportive family and supportive friends so don't speak what you have no idea about. Once justice is served, we will watch the person responsible for this rot in hell like he deserves to!!!
justanotherjunki e

North Bergen, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Judged:

His family must have been REAL supportive.....
badman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2007

Judged:

two dirtbags are gone now. that's two less dirtbags on the streets..... one is in a hole the other in a cell!
NJa123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2008

Judged:

badman- very ignorant!!!
Jen

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

Judged:

Expert: Man died from a drug overdose
Mail to a friend Printer Friendly Format
By TOM HOWELL JR.
thowell@njherald.com
NEWTON A Pennsylvania man found in a Vernon gully with a bag over his head died of a drug overdose, not homicide, according to an expert for a Bergen County man charged with the crime.
Relatives of John E. Mitchell, whose body was found by a road crew on June, 16, 2006, left in tears after the claim was made in Superior Court on Tuesday.
Edward Mundt, 37, of Elmwood Park, is accused of smothering 30-year-old Mitchell and dumping his body near Lake Wallkill Road and Stratfordshire Drive.
Mundt was indicted in February 2007 for first-degree murder, second-degree desecration of human remains and third-degree tampering with evidence.
His public defender, David Nufrio, said Mitchell may have died from an accidental overdose, not asphyxiation as the state has alleged, according to a report by their expert, Dr. John E. Adams, of Cockeysville, Md.
"Naturally, if you remove count one of the indictment, it changes the complexion of the case," Nufrio said.
Superior Court Judge N. Peter Conforti said Mundt faces a maximum sentence of life in prison for murder plus 15 years for the other two charges and must serve 71 years before he is eligible for parole.
The defense expert's report has been forwarded to the Sussex County Medical Examiner, Assistant Prosecutor Michael Briegel said.
"I've been advised I will be receiving a responsive report," Briegel said in court.
Prosecutors also are waiting for a crime scene evidence analysis report from the state police, he said.
The state, he said, cannot respond to a plea offer from the defense until those reports are received.
Nufrio confirmed he had forwarded a plea offer, but it does not include the count for murder.
"Dumping a body may suggest homicide, but it doesn't prove it," said Nufrio, quoting Adams' report.
The report also said there is "no medical or scientific way to determine if Mr. Mitchell was dead or alive when his head was placed in the bag," according to Nufrio.
Nufrio is hoping that Adams' report will cut Mundt's potential maximum prison time from life imprisonment to a 15-year term.
"If the state medical examiner disagrees with Dr. Adams, then it's going to be a trial," he said. "It's that simple."
Family members last saw Mitchell alive on June 7, when his father dropped him off on 42nd Street in Manhattan, authorities testified in November 2006.
Mitchell usually caught a train from the city street to his job with Gotham Construction on Roosevelt Island, they said.
His body was discovered a little more than a week later with a plastic bag taped over his head. The body was wrapped in a burgundy-pink comforter, olive green linens, and a pillowcase decorated with a "winter farm scene," detectives said.
According to an affidavit, Mundt said he picked up Mitchell at a Jersey City-area motel the night of June 8 and took him to his Elmwood Park apartment after purchasing drugs.
Mundt told detectives he slept in his bed that night, while Mitchell slept in a chair and was gone the next morning, according to testimony.
Detectives showed pictures of linens from the crime scene to Mundt's landlord, a woman who resides at the same address as Mundt. She located a pillowcase on her bed with the same winter farm scene pattern, authorities said.
About a dozen of Mitchell's family members, including his wife, Teia Mitchell, and his mother, attended the emotionally charged hearing, noting in off-the-cuff remarks that Mitchell could not have placed the bag on his own head.
The family declined to give an official comment outside the courtroom.
ilias

Sparta, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Judged:

the guy is dead. he was found putrified near my house. ew. whatever...if it was drugs then good riddance. but sorry for the loss to te family. drugs rule these kind of peopel
Friend of Johnny

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Judged:

He may have had problems but who doesn't. As far as him killing himself, how could he wrap a plastic bag on his head, blanket on his body and drop his own body off on a side of a road. This murderer who states he didn't see johnny the next day when he woke up then why was his linens all over John's body. If John OD then why wasnt he at that guy's house since they were both doing drugs the night before. I HOPE HE GETS THE SAME TREATMENT IN JAIL THAT HE DID TO JOHNNY. He also had to have an accomplice to carry his body. I hope Johnny haunts his ass always. You took a great friend, father and family member to all of us. We will never forget him...God Bless our angel.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blairstown Discussions

Search the Blairstown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Storefronts on spring street Jul 4 Jim 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Jul 1 Francis Sheer 24
Camp Don Bosco (Mar '09) Jun '14 Jonathan R Mcfly 74
stephen Deperty (Jul '12) Oct '13 CNJ 5
Lost dog Delaware water gap/Worthington Forrest... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Jenna Adcock 1
NEW BOY SCOUT TROOP- Scuba diving-wilderness su... (Mar '13) Mar '13 CCogliano 1
NJ Poll of N.J. voters shows low turnout likely fo... (Jun '10) Feb '13 Larry in VT 60
•••
•••

Blairstown News Video

•••
•••

Blairstown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Blairstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE