3 doctors on trial for sponges left in Newburg patient

Full story: Public Opinion

A decision in a malpractice lawsuit against two local doctors and a Hershey surgeon accused of leaving surgical sponges in a Newburg woman during operations in the 1990s -- including one surgery done to remove a sponge from a prior operation -- could be reached today in Franklin County's Court of Common Pleas.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Grumpy Old Man

Mercersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!What happened to the professional arts????
AL GRUNDY

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

OOOOps!!!!
question

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

In operations there is a sponge count. Sponges are removed and placed on a table to be counted when the operation is over to make sure this does not happen. Can't they count? There are three names I must remember to put on my " no no " list....I can only imagine what their mal-practice insurance rates are...and it's no wonder.
JEB

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Man, I can hardly wait for Obama Care to kick in! Can't imagine anything like that will happen then.
George

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Yeah, I could tell you about an incision done by a local doctor that was not healed after 2 years and he thought that was not a problem - he said I was just a slow healer. When the insurance company contacted me to ask if I was going to sue that doctor and I responded that I was thinking about it, they sent me a registered letter that said that if I recovered any costs from a lawsuit, they wanted their money back before I could have any of it.

You've got to have insurance for dire emergencies, but I find it best to stay away from doctors altogether, myself.
million dollar lady

Aspers, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Raschid is bad news. He was charged with beating his wife a few years back.

Here is everyone's sign--Do not go to Raschid!
Eileen

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

What a story. I feel bad for this woman and her family to have to go through this. The high cost of medical and surgery procedures is ridiculous enough, and then to have something like this happen. Doctors need to focus more for the money they are getting paid to preform these surgeries.
WOW

Woodbury, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

The best health care system in the world......Yeh right!
Really

Woodbury, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Is this what you get from what the wingnuts on the right call "the best health care system in the world"?
not surprised

Newtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Dr Raschid was my OBGYN for my first child in 98-99, everytime you go in for a check up you are to give a urine sample,which I did,my appt was around 3pm. Not even 12hrs later I woke up in labor(I was 6 1/2 mths) it took Dr. Orndorff 3 weeks to tell me that I had an infection and Rachid ignored it.Thank goodness they were able to stop the labor.Then when it was time to have my son, he gave me an episiotomy and said that he does that before 'it' has a chance to rip.My son was 7lbs9oz. Four years later I had a daughter in Bedford she was 8.5lbs,I never ripped or needed an episiotomy! To this day I suffer from the episiotomy incision. Another doctor said that it was not done right and that it can be fixed, sorry but I dont want my 'it' cut again! Potomic OBGYN hired Rachid,sorry but they lost a patient (I have a tubal) but I also drive a Toyota and I dont want the gas pedal to stick by accident!
Past Patient

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Dr. Raschid was my Ob during my first pregnancy. I thought he was good. I didn't have any problems and he was actually really good with me during labor and delivery. The moral is...everyone makes mistakes, nobody is perfect, if they are then they're not human. It because of lawsuits like this that insurance costs are so high and why a lot of people can't afford to seek health care. It's a terrible thing that happened to this family, I really do feel for them. However, should they get rich because of these events? Not in my opinion! I'm not saying that someone shouldn't be held accountable but who's really going to pay here? The insurance company! duh?
TKO

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

It's all about the big money for these local surgeons who are nothing but greedy liing scam artest quacks. After they scam you into having unneccesary surgeries that will ruin your life for big money when theres alternative treatments for cancer or whatever and even tell you that you have these deseases but don't and they rush threw these surgeries as fast as they can to get as much money as they can in one day and end up making alot of mistakes like this that will make a persons health worse or even result in death but you think they care, hell no the only thing they care about is the big money. Stay away from these liars and scammers around here erregardless if you doctor recommends you to them because they don't care either that thier sending you to these liars and scammers because they get a percentage of the money from these scam surgeries. The local urologists are great at this and get away with it as well as the breast cancer surgeons and all the types of surgeons around here.
dufus

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

Kelly and Ken have been going through this for years. Go Kelly get em
Lil John

Woodbury, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

This is why we need medical tort reform: frivolous lawsuits.
Meateater

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Eileen wrote:
What a story. I feel bad for this woman and her family to have to go through this. The high cost of medical and surgery procedures is ridiculous enough, and then to have something like this happen. Doctors need to focus more for the money they are getting paid to preform these surgeries.
Agree!Unfortunatly, I'm afraid they are "focusing" on MONEY! No wonder our medical costa are what they are and our insurance rates are skyrocketing. They have to bleed enough out of us to pay for mistakes like these.
Not fair

Mercersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

I would hardly say this is a frivolous lawsuit. Because of the doctors' mistakes they can no longer have children. Its horrible that it happened one time, but twice!
He is human after all

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

It's very easy to critique from the sidelines, but look at the date of this pending case...1990's people! It's 2010 and think of how many surgeries Dr. Raschid has performed without complications since then. As a former patient of his, I know he genuinely cares about each patient and has very high standards. He is truly the best doctor I have ever had. He is no longer practicing at Potomac... I miss him very much as my doctor. Because he left Potomac, I stopped going there as well. I now go to a practice in Chambersburg...the level of care doesn't even come close to how Dr. Raschid handles his patients. I keep saying he spoiled me because now I think all OBGYN's should treat their pateints with the respect and dignity that he showed me.
It is a shame what happened with Kelly... I wish her the very best. However, I do not think it's right for people to bash Raschid when he has done so much good for so many others. Doctors are humans too...mistakes happen. That is how people learn and grow.
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Lil John wrote:
THIS incident is NOT "frivolous". Each and every sponge used is supposed to be counted when used, and counted when it comes out, before disposal and before the incision is sutured. Even veterinarians do this. If they can't be conscientious enough to carefully count the spones and instruments before closing, they are blatantly negligent, and DESERVE to be sued. Do you have any idea how much PAIN that would cause a patient? Bowel sectioning is not a petty procedure, not for the patient nor for the surgeon. It's not like she had a dimple in the scar. These are major issues.
George

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Lil John wrote:
"The Garmans and their attorney, Richard C. Angino of Harrisburg, claim Kelly Garman suffered "painful and severe injuries" including increased growth of adhesions, loss of portions of her small bowel, increased chances of future bowel problems and loss of her uterus, ovaries and her ability to have additional children, as a result of the physicians' failure to remove the sponge or sponges from her abdomen during the surgeries."

Sorry, but I don't call that a frivolous lawsuit. In order to lose part of her small bowel, uterus, and ovaries, she had to have at least 1 additional surgery that would not have been needed otherwise.
George

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Meateater wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!Unfortunatly, I'm afraid they are "focusing" on MONEY! No wonder our medical costa are what they are and our insurance rates are skyrocketing. They have to bleed enough out of us to pay for mistakes like these.
It didn't just affect the insurance company, though. Many insurances only pay 80% or less. That means that the family had to cover at least 20% of the bills for the surgery to remove the sponges, and the surgeries where her small bowel, ovaries, and uterus were removed. That's a chunk of change for a patient who thinks they are getting the best of care to have to cover when they find out that they really didn't get the best of care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blain Discussions

Search the Blain Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 9 hr atomic kneegar 51,183
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 10 hr perseynicolas954 3,802
Review: CRF Mechanical LLC May '14 Eric Acres 1
Review: JDT Slaughterhouse Apr '14 ELYG 1
EBT connecting Railroad Mar '14 Jimmy 1
Principal's alleged involvement confirmed (May '11) Mar '14 jts 2
Cumberland County Boy Found Safe Feb '14 Dancerchick 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Blain Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000