friend

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

I am anxious to see what people think about the budget cut initiated by Larry Palmore and how the cleaning service, supposedly, made $64,000.00 per year. That is incorrect. How about his idea that everyone would be responsible for cleaning their own buildings for six months. DOES ANYONE REALLY THINK LARRY PALMORE OR THE POLICE WILL CLEAN THIER OWN BUILDINGS?????? The Blackstone Library is now opening two hours late because the Librarian is having to take the time out of working hours to CLEAN. This is ridiculous.
The Spelling Police

Dillwyn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

I'm wondering if the librarian had to sign an employment agreement when she was hired. If the wording in the agreement (if she had to sign one) has a statement that she agrees to perform "other duties" as required, they've got her by the balls, so to speak.
That said, I don't think it is fair that she is expected to perform cleaning services on top of the work she was hired to do. I used to work as a secretary/cleaning lady (!) It was not possible to do grubby work, getting sweaty, and look (and feel) clean and professional at the same time. It really sucked. I empathize with the librarian.
Oops-2

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

Judged:

Frankly Larry is pretty much a bully but I don't see him cleaning up after himself.
James Hodge

Callao, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

Judged:

I think that Larry Palmore is the best thing to ever happen to The Town of Blackstone. He is a tireless worker and gets things accomplished. When he retires the town will suffer a great loss.
The Truth

Afton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

Blackstone is a crap hole and is getting what it deserves. This is what happens when most of the people in your town lack morals.
Travis Johnson

White Stone, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2008

I agree with Mr. Hodge. Larry Palmore has done so much for the community and small business owners of Blackstone. Larry helped a good friend of mine get her business up and going, she loves him to death.
Randolph Yancey

White Stone, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Judged:

Friend-- your facts are just wrong. The town paid 64,000 last year for all of its janitorial services. This is listed as paid on last years ledger. I really find it hard to believe that the libriran cleans 8 hours a week! In the meeting councilman Green states that hiring a custodian is a wonderful idea. Below are the minutes from the council meeting

Manager Palmore stated that if necessary, we might swap employees between us and the
police department as far as answering the phones. He also suggested unscrewing every other light
bulb on Main Street at night. He stated this last month we took one of our ballpark lights and
hooked it up and it cost us over $50.00 a month just to run this one light. He added that the fee
we charge our customers for the area lights may need to go up because right now we are charging
$27.50 a month to the customer but it is costing the Town more than that to run these lights. He
also stated that if you look at our overall janitorial services, the cost is going up to over $64,000 a
year. Manager Palmore suggested that either we hire someone to come in as a Town employee at
around $25,000 a year or we could ask each department to take care of their own buildings.
Councilman Green stated that he has a problem with the Town Manager taking out his
own garbage. He feels the idea of hiring a custodian is a wonderful idea. He is sure we can get
someone for much less than $64,000 a year.
Jim Smith

Surry, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

Judged:

Mr. Yancey
I believe libriran would clean for 10 hours a week if she spent 2 hours everyday! I find this hard to believe....Friend is way off here
Randolph Yancey wrote:
Friend-- your facts are just wrong. The town paid 64,000 last year for all of its janitorial services. This is listed as paid on last years ledger. I really find it hard to believe that the libriran cleans 8 hours a week! In the meeting councilman Green states that hiring a custodian is a wonderful idea. Below are the minutes from the council meeting
Manager Palmore stated that if necessary, we might swap employees between us and the
police department as far as answering the phones. He also suggested unscrewing every other light
bulb on Main Street at night. He stated this last month we took one of our ballpark lights and
hooked it up and it cost us over $50.00 a month just to run this one light. He added that the fee
we charge our customers for the area lights may need to go up because right now we are charging
$27.50 a month to the customer but it is costing the Town more than that to run these lights. He
also stated that if you look at our overall janitorial services, the cost is going up to over $64,000 a
year. Manager Palmore suggested that either we hire someone to come in as a Town employee at
around $25,000 a year or we could ask each department to take care of their own buildings.
Councilman Green stated that he has a problem with the Town Manager taking out his
own garbage. He feels the idea of hiring a custodian is a wonderful idea. He is sure we can get
someone for much less than $64,000 a year.
Concerned Citizen

Surry, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

Ben Green and Francis Gilmore are killing the Town

I just wanted to comment on the Town meeting this past Wednesday. Ben Green is an idiot!! It is obvious that he has no idea what he is doing and no clue what it takes to run a town. Mr. Green google the word "backdate" try an memorize the definition and maybe next meeting you wont accidentally accuse the Town Manager of falsifying a document. Maybe you just like going around town making up stuff and being Francis Gilmore's puppet, who knows. This is what citizens get when they elect uneducated people to town council. Mr. Gilmore apparently wants Larry Palmore's job and is going to great lengths to try and make Larry and the town look bad. Mr. Gilmore is very close with COL Wilkinson at Ft. Pickett who supports the move of the National Guard headquarters from Ft. Pickett to Sandston. This will move 260 local jobs to Sandston by 2014. We need people who will fight for Blackstone not cost the citizens their jobs. Mr. Gillmore you could not fill Larry Palmore's shoes if you had 5 of your buddies working with you. Ben Green is on the Gilmore bandwagon and is sure to ride it into political hell. We need people who can think for themselves on the town council.
Oops-2

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

The town manager is hired by the council, essentially they are his bosses. I do not like fighting among the members of any town council, it makes all of them plus the town look bad.
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Larry Palmore has done many good things for the Town of Blackstone. However, he needs to remember that he is, in fact, an employee of the town and not the supreme ruler. He works for the Town Council and not the other way around.
Kevn

Crewe, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2009

The truth is no matter what is going on or what we think should be done, unless we all come together and make a stand nothing is going to change.
Blackstone Citizen

Callao, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe I am missing something here but I dont see a problem with the way the town is being run. Historic Downtown is getting a facelift just the way Blackstone officals planned. Let the town manager do his job and continue to get federal and state money that could easily go somewhere else. Ben Green stop asking questions if you cant understand the answers!!
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2009

I don't understand why all of a sudden Ben Green has become the bad guy. He asks questions. Many of his constituents want answers. The Town Office/Town Manager doesn't want to provide answers; i.e. release control. Why does that make Ben Green the bad guy? He is merely doing what he was elected to do. The Town Manager is not an elected official. He is employed by the Town Council. They are his bosses; he works for them. Why is it wrong for any member of council to question his actions. If your employer questioned the manner in which you were handling your job and you refused to answer, do you think you would continue to be employed?
Blackstone Citizen

Callao, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

Blackstone Girl,
Ben Green knows nothing about running a town. He is a used car salesman with no education. You dont go around town telling people how you are going to get Larry Palmore, and bash him at a New Years Eve party while drunk. I was at the party at Kenston Forrest! He went about things the wrong way. I agree with you our elected officals have the right to ask questions on how the town is run, Ben Green went too far bashing Larry at a party and pointing his finger at him every time he spoke to him in the meeting. I also know every other member of Town Council supports Larry Palmore 100%!
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

Dear Citizen: I don't know anything about Ben Green's educational background. I assume he is at least a high school graduate. If that puts him in the category of having "no education" then our Town Manager falls into the same category. Mr. Palmore is a graduate of Kenston Forest School but he has no advanced degrees of which I am aware. You seem to have a personal grudge against Councilman Green. I will agree that Mr. Palmore has support on Town Council but I would disagree that it is to the extent that you think. Regardless of personalities, Councilman Green has an obligation to question Mr. Palmore on behalf of his constituents and Mr. Palmore, as an employee of the Town, has an obligation to respond. Both, however, should do so in a respectful and non-threatening manner.
Blackstone Citizen

Irvington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Blackstone Girl,
Do you think Ben Green asks questions in a respectful non-threatening manner? Do you think Larry would be more willing to work with him if he had not bashed him at a party? I would argue that if Ben Green had gone about things differently he might have found some answers. What good is Ben Green doing for his constituents when he gets no answers because of the way he asks questions? Why doesn’t Ben Green have any other council members backing him up on his claims? If I were Larry and knew I had support of town council then I would not worry about giving Ben Green answers one bit.
My whole point about Ben Green being uneducated is that he has no idea how to run a town. I have no idea if he graduated from High School or College. He may have his Doctorate in Rocket Science for all I know. Ben Green is uneducated in how to run a town! Larry Palmore knows how to get projects completed and Manage The Town of Blackstone and has proven himself over the years. I care about our town and want to see it grow and prosper for my children.
Scorekeeper

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

It seems that Blackstone Citzen sounds like Larry Palmore. I do not feel that Ben Green is illiterate on running the town. Mr. Palmore you have to remember the citizens voted for council members and as an employee of the town you are indebted to them for that employment. Why do so many policticos get upset when they think their authority is threatened. Times are changing and we all have to change with it.
Blackstone Citizen

Irvington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Scorekeeper wrote:
It seems that Blackstone Citzen sounds like Larry Palmore. I do not feel that Ben Green is illiterate on running the town. Mr. Palmore you have to remember the citizens voted for council members and as an employee of the town you are indebted to them for that employment. Why do so many policticos get upset when they think their authority is threatened. Times are changing and we all have to change with it.
This may shock you, I voted for Ben Green! I thought he was the best man for the Job. If I remember correctly he was running against Tom Daniel, who in my opinion would have been an awful pick(I dont even want to get started on him). I have a feeling we will have a better selection of canidates next election. I promise you I am not Larry Palmore, I do know him and find he is a good man. I know he has done more for the Town of Blackstone over the years than most people realize.
I still dont think Ben Green has any expierence in running a town, Just my opinion. Why do you think Ben has the knowledge to run a town?
Scorekeeper

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2009

It takes a lot to go out and try for a council seat. I daresay most who do win office had no experience in running a town. I believe the infighting and name calling is not conducive to a healthy town. I have seen Ben, Larry and Billy Coleburn in action in other towns. Sure there are bound to be disagreements, we must remember that we are supposed to all want what is best for the towns. Ben has the knowledge to run a business, a town is no different, it is the business of the people. We have had successful governors that ran the state like a business. What does it say about a town that can sit down and work out problems albeit a few rough moments over a town that has no interest in changing anything? I live in a town that does not want to progress at least on the part of the older council persons. I am not saying that Larry Palmore is a bad person, far from it but the does display temper many times. The truth is all of the towns in Nottoway, and the state have to do all they can in this current economy to keep exixting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blackstone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Nottoway Schools start before Labor Day... Why? Jul '14 FED UP 1
Legal Highs (Jul '13) Jul '14 donnie 11
tracy williams (reeves) (Dec '05) Jun '14 lori 59
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
Crewe Primary Teachers using and selling drugs! Apr '14 Punisher111594 1
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr '14 Jim 1,433

Search the Blackstone Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Blackstone Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Blackstone People Search