Officers Compare Radar, Laser Speed G...

Officers Compare Radar, Laser Speed Guns - News Story - WRC | W...

There are 60 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Jun 27, 2008, titled Officers Compare Radar, Laser Speed Guns - News Story - WRC | W.... In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

Police officers took aim this week at vehicles zipping down a runway in tests meant to convince judges that laser speed guns -- increasingly popular among law enforcement -- are as accurate as their radar ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TPL

Reston, VA

#1 Jun 27, 2008
Anything with "Laser" and "Gun" in its name sounds like a boat load of fun.
Capitol Hill Hairy

Derwood, MD

#2 Jun 27, 2008
Here again is more bullsh-- oppression and harassment by police and government. Leave people alone for heaven's sake - it's bad enough as it is with speed cams, red lite cams, and all these electronics designed more to increase state coffers than to control 'speeding.' and what is speeding anyway? Roads in one area with 35mph signs have the same configuration as roads in other areas with 55mph signs. Why are some interstates 55mph when others are 70mph with similar alignments? It's because some state wedgies are deciding arbitrarily what speed to set in order to TRAP you on purpose so they have something to do and a collection in cash for their state or county. Instead of catching criminals in DC drug infested neighborhoods or terrorists hiding in our country, these clowns are working to hassle and infringe on the right of enjoyment by the people, and they discriminate while doing so.
Dan

Somerville, VA

#3 Jun 27, 2008
Hey "Captiol Hill Hairy" if people didn't speed cops wouldn't write speeding tickets. You're one of those dipsh**s who doesn't like cops till you, or your family member, needs one. You don't have a clue what your rights are or what discrimination is and you devalue their meaning by pretending you do.
jenn

Washington, DC

#4 Jun 28, 2008
Capitol Hill Hairy wrote:
Here again is more bullsh-- oppression and harassment by police and government. Leave people alone for heaven's sake - it's bad enough as it is with speed cams, red lite cams, and all these electronics designed more to increase state coffers than to control 'speeding.' and what is speeding anyway? Roads in one area with 35mph signs have the same configuration as roads in other areas with 55mph signs. Why are some interstates 55mph when others are 70mph with similar alignments? It's because some state wedgies are deciding arbitrarily what speed to set in order to TRAP you on purpose so they have something to do and a collection in cash for their state or county. Instead of catching criminals in DC drug infested neighborhoods or terrorists hiding in our country, these clowns are working to hassle and infringe on the right of enjoyment by the people, and they discriminate while doing so.
I agree that sometimes the speed limits are arbitrary and inconsistent. BUT! part of the job of police it to "police" the roadway laws as well.

Harry, you say, "hassle and infringe on the right of enjoyment by the people". So when the dipshi* kid is tailgating you and weaving and speeding 100 mph while racing in his riced out car, is that ok for you? If he's passing you on the double yellow line, you don't get a little frustrated? If you say no, you're a liar. If you say yes, well, that's what the police are here for too. Criminal laws and traffic laws, some civil laws too. Don't agree with it, you either have to put up with it or move to another country. Protest all you want but the police aren't going to not police the roadways.

Since: Feb 08

Greenway, VA

#5 Jun 30, 2008
I have been zapped with laser years ago and I would have to say the reading was dead on the money.
Publius

Washington, DC

#6 Jul 2, 2008
It is very telling that the police did not want to have scientists (let's take that to mean people who have training and experience in the science of measurement, who might know a thing or two about that subject) participating. Yet Mr. Cofer wants the outcome to convince courts that the measurements are accurate. And we have Mr. Lake baldly stating that they don't *want* a scientist with a PhD "doing it."

Perhaps Messrs. Lake and Cofer are savvy enough to know that conducting a study in conformance with generally accepted scientific standards might produce results at odds with theirs. Well, they might, or they might not. We'll never know. A nonscientific study like that described in this article is absolutely worthless, and does not settle the question one way or another.

For years most courts have taken "judicial notice" with respect to speed radar, despite both a large amount of scientific evidence that radar measurements are unreliable, and documented instances of radar manufacturers forging FCC certifications. Jurisdictions (to say nothing of insurance companies) have enjoyed the proceeds from tickets written on the basis of these speed measurements, and thus have been loath to entertain challenges to their accuracy, regardless of the status of their scientific merit.

Perhaps it is fitting that our uninformed and innumerate citizenry should be the victims of a system that takes their money and records criminal charges against them on the basis of unchallenged faulty evidence.
24-Years

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jul 3, 2008
First of all if you did not speed or drive recklessly you would have nothing to worry about. How about the people who are killed daily throughout the country by someone speeding through red lights or running stop signs. I know of no forging of certificate and I worked for a company that produced the radars. And I got caught once myself, I would not want to get caught today because of the price of gas and the fines. Live with this because there are too many that have died because of someone's carelessness.
Publius

Washington, DC

#8 Jul 3, 2008
24-Years wrote:
First of all if you did not speed or drive recklessly you would have nothing to worry about.
Simply not true, "24". I am an extremely safe and conscientious driver. I still have plenty to worry about, and that is based on experience with both police and with the automatic speed cameras.(In the latest case, the fact that there were two time-stamped photographs with distance references proved conclusively that the radar was in error by 30%! I fully expect the distance references to be removed from the road surface very soon.)
I have no sympathy for reckless drivers who kill. But I do have some for victims of faulty measurements. Faulty measurements do absolutely nothing to help the problem of reckless drivers, though. Your impulsive reaction to my (and others') post confuses the issue of catching actual speeders (which I agree is a good thing) with that of whether the speed measurements are made accurately (which they are not).
I know of no forging of certificate and I worked for a company that produced the radars.
Your statement makes no sense at all. There is more than one company that manufactures radars. You worked for a particular company for a particular period of time which might not have coincided with litigation (if yours was indeed one of the subject companies). And any company at any time may face significant litigation without sharing that fact with its employees. At any rate, one person's experience constitutes, at best, anecdotal evidence, which doesn't establish the truth or falsehood of a statement.
And I got caught once myself, I would not want to get caught today because of the price of gas and the fines.
The price of gas? What does that have to do with getting caught?!!!
Live with this because there are too many that have died because of someone's carelessness.
I don't care to live with this. Several states, including Virginia (mentioned in the article), have opted to attempt to correct state budget shortfalls through more vigorous (if not rigorous) "enforcement" of traffic laws and heavier penalties, rather than adjusting state taxation to meet expenditures.
It is all about revenue, and very little about saving lives. There is so much more that can be done to accomplish the latter, such as increasing visible police cars circulating among traffic (as recommended by AAA). But that would require the police to get off the side of the road trying to catch people going 5 miles over the limit. Can't have that, now, can we?
Would I be wrong to guess, "24", that you are actually a member of some police force?
Casual Observer

AOL

#9 Jul 4, 2008
If you are willing to violate speed laws, you should not whine when you get caught. It's your choice!
Mo Co cop

Washington, DC

#10 Jul 4, 2008
Publius wrote:
<quoted text>
...There is so much more that can be done to accomplish the latter, such as increasing visible police cars circulating among traffic (as recommended by AAA). But that would require the police to get off the side of the road trying to catch people going 5 miles over the limit. Can't have that, now, can we?
Would I be wrong to guess, "24", that you are actually a member of some police force?
Maybe/maybe not 24 but I am.

According to your and the general public's 10 cents worth of knowledge, we police officers should:

Stop using radar or laser because it's HIGHLY inaccurate.

Circulate through traffic more visibly.

But take our tax paid for take home car away.

Conform to every law.

Let you not conform to every law because they're arbitrary (but we still have to).

Eat more donuts (ie- leave the public alone).

Eat less donuts (ie- do our jobs).

So, what sir would you suggest? Basically, as long as we are there protecting YOU, but never bothering YOU, everything is up to your standard. Right?

Technically 1 mph over is speeding and you can get a ticket for it. And yes, that would be pretty much everyone, including us. So we don't really bother with that. But on occasion, we have- perhaps the violator did something else to warrant a ticket for speeding just over the limit.

Deal with it.

I, and anyone else could walk into your business, whatever it is you do, and presume that my knowledge of your job was more correct and find fault with what you are doing.

If you're not or never have been involved in or trained in vehicle speed detection like what the police use, you won't believe that it works correctly. Especially when YOU could get stopped.

Yes there are errors. Yes there are times when the system or operator didn't use it correctly and in that case, you should take it to court. Otherwise, radar and laser especially are accurate enough for traffic law.
24-Years

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 4, 2008
Unfortunately Publius is a person who wants to complain about the use of the radar or lasar when in effect that use may lead to saving lives. If a driver is stopped for speeding, he more than likely will be delayed from going further down the road and wrecking. I now work on the business end of those wrecks and accidents not as a police officer but in nursing.
Hector

Henry, TN

#12 Jul 4, 2008
only 4 states ban LIDAR "shifters" get one and have it installed by a professional installer...let the pigs pick on those sheep too stubid to equip their cars with the proper elint.
Hector

Henry, TN

#13 Jul 4, 2008
24-Years wrote:
Unfortunately Publius is a person who wants to complain about the use of the radar or lasar when in effect that use may lead to saving lives. If a driver is stopped for speeding, he more than likely will be delayed from going further down the road and wrecking. I now work on the business end of those wrecks and accidents not as a police officer but in nursing.
that's bullcrap...when the officer has the innocuous speeder pulled over, he's letting the drug mule pass by with a trunk full of cocaine or meth.
24-Years

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jul 5, 2008
Really well the laws here says that you cannot stop a car to search for drugs unless there is a valid reason to do so. Speeding is an indicator among other things, you use any excuse to get out of something. Just today in our area a man was killed because a tractor-trailor driver ran a stop sign. I have never seen a death certificate that said a person died from a cop using a lasar gun on speeders but I have seen plenty that had either excessive speed or DUI as the cause of an accident.
The next thing how do you know if the drug mule has a trunk full of cocaine or meth. Do you have friends that do that?
At any given time any person can have an accident, many times there was no particular reason for the accident such as potholes in the road, deers crossing into the path, a tire blows etc. Even the most careful driver can make a mistake and have an accident. Those that consistantly speed or drive impaired are endangering you, me and anyone else in their path.
Hector

Henry, TN

#15 Jul 5, 2008
Dan wrote:
You're one of those dipsh**s who doesn't like cops till you, or your family member, needs one.
Why would I ever "need" a cop?
Hector

Henry, TN

#16 Jul 5, 2008
24-Years wrote:
I have never seen a death certificate that said a person died from a cop using a lasar gun on speeders but I have seen plenty that had either excessive speed or DUI as the cause of an accident.
you never saw one single death certificate that listed exceeding the speed limit or DUI as the "cause" of death or the "cause" of the accident.
24-Years

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 5, 2008
Bullshit talk to medical examiners sometime. Otherwise go play some place else.
sean

Centreville, VA

#18 Jul 5, 2008
Capitol Hill Hairy wrote:
Here again is more bullsh-- oppression and harassment by police and government. Leave people alone for heaven's sake - it's bad enough as it is with speed cams, red lite cams, and all these electronics designed more to increase state coffers than to control 'speeding.' and what is speeding anyway? Roads in one area with 35mph signs have the same configuration as roads in other areas with 55mph signs. Why are some interstates 55mph when others are 70mph with similar alignments? It's because some state wedgies are deciding arbitrarily what speed to set in order to TRAP you on purpose so they have something to do and a collection in cash for their state or county. Instead of catching criminals in DC drug infested neighborhoods or terrorists hiding in our country, these clowns are working to hassle and infringe on the right of enjoyment by the people, and they discriminate while doing so.
i like how you say go fight real crime i mean police are out looking for drugs and various other things on traffic stops so next time think before you just assume that they are out just to make money for the state.
yeah

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#19 Jul 5, 2008
Hector wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I ever "need" a cop?
Yeah, I forgot. Your name is Hector. Go back to El Salvador. Of course you wouldn't "need" a cop, you don't want anything to do with cops. I'm glad you're the one who's afraid to report a crime because you think INS is around the corner. No need for you in this country.

P.S. you just got pwned!
AlsoRanJudy

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 6, 2008
I wondered about that too yeah however there are bound to be abuses in any law enforcement. The fact is everytime I pick up the paper I read about fatal accidents. One man in Richmond was sitting still at a traffic light when he was ran over by a Tractor-trailor. He never had a chance, three were killed on 307 when a Fed-Ex piled into a stopped line of traffic. So if you get caught speeding excessively then it is your fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blackstone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't Tell! May '17 bulk 1
apparently May '17 bulk 1
today only! Apr '17 bulk 1
chic fil a Mar '17 bulk 1
Victoria VA (Jan '06) Mar '17 bulk 25
what is the difference between a rose and a nose? Feb '17 bulk 1
Complaints about Blackstone VA (Sep '08) Jan '17 bulk 228

Blackstone Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blackstone Mortgages