Contract w/1st District
Colby Eggleston

Blackshear, GA

#1 Jul 5, 2009
Similar to the 1994 "Contract with America", I will be outlining the standards by which I will conduct myself if I am elected to Congress next November. I am in the process of formulating my "Contract with the 1st District" now, and will release my final version on January 1, 2010, at the same time as I formally announce my write-in candidacy as per Georgia law. Below are the commitments that I have already made and expect to be held to. I sincerely request any and all suggestions that I can add to the list of guidelines by which I will govern myself. Any serious suggestions will be honestly considered, and appropriate suggestions will be included in my final version in January. Please send your comments and suggestions to me at [email protected] Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this matter!

Colby Eggleston's Contract with the 1st District of Georgia:

Should I be elected to the office of Representative for the 1st District of Georgia in November, 2010, I swear to hold myself to the following guidelines in the execution of my duties:

1. I will propose legislation that would limit the term of any member of the House of Representatives to no more than 4 terms, or 8 years. We currently limit the term of our President to no more than 8 years through the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution. This time limit should also be applied to members of the lower House. Should the legislation that I propose fail to pass, I swear that I will voluntarily limit myself to a term of no more than 8 years of service as the Representative of the 1st District.

2. I will propose legislation, in conjunction with the legislation listed in #1 above, that will prohibit pay raises voted on by Congress from being effective for a minimum of 8 years from the date of their passage. Together, these two items will mean that Congress can not possibly vote a pay raise that will benefit themselves. If this legislation fails to pass, I will continue to vote "No" on any free-standing bill to raise the salary of Congress. If a salary raise for Congress is included in any bill that I vote "Yes" for, based on the overall merit of the bill, I will not accept the raise for myself. Rather, I will return the difference in salary directly to the 1st District to help defray costs associated with supporting the office of the Representative of the 1st District.

3. I will propose, or support, legislation creating a "Brevity Bill" for Congress. This bill would require that any law presented before Congress could be no longer than 2,000 words. Bills that exceed 2,000 words in length would need to be broken up into separate bills that meet the 2,000 word maximum.

4. I will propose, or support, legislation that requires any bill before Congress to be made readily available, in it's full and complete form, to the public for at least 7 days prior to being voted on by members of Congress.

5. I will vote "No" on any and all legislation that I have not had an opportunity to read and comprehend. If I cannot fully explain the bill to a member of the 1st District, I cannot vote for the bill in good conscience.

6. I will vote "No" on any and all legislation that would have a net result of increasing taxes on American citizens or corporations.

Again, thank you in advance for any additional thoughts that you give me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blackshear Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bad Parenting/Teakwood topic deleted??? Jul 19 Jockey 4
threesomes Jul 16 Nasty Nate 6
Whitney Harmon Jul 14 Nasty Nate 3
Bennett Still closed Jul 11 Almamom 2
Child Support Garnishment from Disability Check (Nov '11) Jul 10 Mzfine22 116
Dana Todd Apr '17 Sandy 1
Explosion in blackshear or Waycross? Mar '17 Explosion 3

Blackshear Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance