Remembering the Nonviolent Pittston S...

Remembering the Nonviolent Pittston Strike

There are 4 comments on the Daily Kos story from May 14, 2012, titled Remembering the Nonviolent Pittston Strike. In it, Daily Kos reports that:

I felt helpless in lending any real support other than a letter to the editor on behalf of my local Pax Christi group.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Kos.

theo

Salem, VA

#1 May 14, 2012
Was the beginning of the END for the UMWA.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#2 May 15, 2012
The letter from the Presiding Bishop said in part:

"....We know that psychological violence has been done to those who now suffer from the unbearable anxiety and desperation of being cut off from support systems which they counted on to be there for them in their sickness, their disabilities and their retirement. But if that violence, as well as the physical violence which some would incite for their own purposes, is to be overcome, it can only be through the non-violent way of the peacemaker.

"We therefore urge you to be steadfast witnesses to the abiding truth of that Gospel claim. Through non-violence, you will permit others to participate and assist in the healing and reconciliation of all people in this place. By your actions, you can give all those affected by these events the grounds for hope because your commitment to nonviolence will be rooted in the only power that can ultimately bring reconciliation, the power of God's eternal love."

Brilliant....
Wouldlike 2know the truth

Nashville, TN

#3 May 19, 2012
The beginning of the end was when Virginia enacted legislation as a Right to Work State that allowed UMWA companies to employ scabs instead of the collective bargaining process.
joejack

Johnson City, TN

#4 Aug 6, 2014
Union left long before that

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blacksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blacksburg offends Us. Sun Thetruth 4
* Millirons Supporter Caught in a Lie * Aug 27 Eloise 2
Masturbate while driving, anyone girl or guy?? Aug 26 curious 7
Matthew whitlow Aug 25 courtney10 6
late roop (Mar '13) Aug 23 countryswag 4
patricia louise hager is a drunk (Apr '13) Aug 20 Sundog623 2
New to town Aug 20 Sundog623 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blacksburg Mortgages