ideas to improve newport
Posted in the Blacksburg Forum
#1 Jan 15, 2011
Newport is already a great place to live but what are your ideas to keep it that way?
#2 Jan 15, 2011
1. Modernizing the newport fair. More rides and new attratctions and vendors
2. Bring more businesses into the "town" of newport
3. More publicity for mountain lake resort. Tourists = cash for residents
#3 Jan 16, 2011
Have more social functions or activities to go to
#4 Jun 5, 2011
Side walks or atleast a gravel trail would be great to get out and walk or jog because it is so peaceful.
#5 Sep 18, 2011
I think that we need an actual Mayor for this town
#6 Sep 18, 2011
FARMERS MARKET! There are SO MANY farmers around. Why can't we start a farmers market??
#7 Oct 22, 2011
I like Newport alot. And these are great suggestions!
1. The Newport Fair is run by a small group of volunteers. The improve the fair, additional volunteers are needed. In addition, locals need to work together to make the additional improvements.
2. There is a gravel walking path at the baseball field at Newport Ruritian Park. Again, volunteers do their best to maintain the walking path.
3. Sidewalks - The NCAC and Village Council, along with Gile County officials have been working on creating a sidewalk from the Rec building to the park, but this is done through Giles PSA (I think) and it is still pending (It's been pending for some time now).
4. The NCAC is working on a Restoration and Revitalization Project to make improvements to the recreation and community center by applying for a community block grant program through HUD. This is a long and painful process. It has support from both local and state officials.
5. The NCAC has been working on bringing more community services to Newport, however, the building is in need to serious repair and maintenance, which can not facilitate additional programming without repairs. The center is run by nothing but volunteers and through donations from citizens.
6. The most important factor here is the willingness and drive for the community to support and volunteer to make Newport a great place to live! It is so beautiful.
7. Newport has a Village Council. It is a village and not a town. It is one of the oldest villages still remaining in Virginia. It is also listed as an historic place.
For more information on how you can contribute or volunteers, please visit their website at: www.newportrecreation.com . There are local links, to groups and clubs on that website.
#8 May 18, 2013
I think a kmart or maybe target would be great for newport especially with it being on 460 and people coming from craig on 42. It would do good business.
#9 Nov 7, 2014
I truly hope that nobody would make such a mistake as to ruin Newport with a dept store. You would think that after all the small towns in this country that have been ruined by WalMart that it would seem better to avoid that idea like the plague
Add your comments below
|Elyssa's (Jun '13)||3 hr||curious||9|
|Debate: Gay Marriage - Christiansburg, VA (Aug '11)||12 hr||Denny||19|
|Suboxone Forum (Jan '13)||Mar 29||Hay||42|
|looking for fun||Mar 24||looking for fun||1|
|Do you approve of DR. BRUCE BROWN as Mayor?||Mar 24||jay rainey||1|
|Richardson Ambulance Service||Mar 21||thinkyoushouldknow||2|
|radford police and pulaski police dirty (May '12)||Mar 19||Jail Byrd||29|
Find what you want!
Search Blacksburg Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC