Dog owner sues PetSmart after grooming incident

Aug 13, 2008 Full story: New River Valley Current 75

A Floyd County man has filed a lawsuit against PetSmart, claiming one of its groomers nearly killed his puppy.

Full Story
You cant judge

Roanoke, VA

#42 May 20, 2011
You can't believe everything you here in the paper. You can't hear one side of a story and make a rush judgement especially in this era of lawsuit crazy individuals. I know a little bit about this case and it has been heard and there wasn't enough evidence to proceed with the case and that was with the plaintiff trying on 2 seperate occasions and was denied 2 separate times.
Noname

San Jose, CA

#43 Feb 16, 2012
PetSmart is still a lot better than PetCo. PetCo has literally killed many dogs because they are incompetent. This is the only incident I've heard of from PetSmart and it was obviously ONE employee. You can't base a whole business' reputation on one employee.PetCo on the other hand has MANY documented cases of things like this at MANY of their store, not just one.
Teri

Collinsville, IL

#44 Feb 21, 2012
carmenforu wrote:
I do not patronize Pet Smart. I have had issue when they gave shots to my kitten. She was so stressed,and they handle her rough. Once getting home, Zoe was still lathargic and blood in her stool.
That evening I took her to my vet. My vet stated that Zoe was stressed which caused intestinal bleeding.
I should have taken her to her vet orginally. The shots at Pet Smart were suppose to have been econonical.
So much for that theory.
Zoe is now grown and beautiful.
I also have a yorkie. I would not dare take my pets anywhere near Petsmart.
My yorkie is groomed at Petco. The groomers are great,and allow the parents to watch.
Petsmart doesn't give shots. Ever. Banfield is the vet. They are in no way a Petsmart company.
Teri

Collinsville, IL

#45 Feb 21, 2012
annonymous wrote:
Cindy- as a "professional groomer" as you claim to be, you should know that petsmart does not offer only one month of training....I've worked there over 6 years, and I have learned things everyday along the way!!! You think that "PRIVATE SHOPS" are better than corporations? Well you are sadly mistaken!! big Names shops are taking over just for that reason. Do you know of any shops that have cameras installed to protect the right of employees as well as the protection of pets in our care? I can tell you that the reason I REFUSE to work in "family owned" shops is because the owners care about one thing....MONEY!!! The pets well being is not the first and for-most and that makes me sick. Pets get hit pulled slapped and harmed, and who's gonna tell. You people make me sick! Yeah maybe not everyone should be doing this type of work because it takes a VERY SPECIAL kind of human to do it, but knocking those who do and love their work is not right. So before you put us all in a "catagory" you should step back and take a look at your-self and be ashamed of the kind of groomer you turned out to be...
<quoted text>
Why should she be ashamed? YOU should be ashamed of your bs comment. ONE month is all you get. As for the cameras, you know damn well they don't run. I worked in the salon for 8 years & plenty of people should have been terminated for the cruelty to animals & theft. So, shame on you for dissing small shops.
One example, one groomer would take dogs in the back if they were misbehaving & choke them or smack them around. Hmmm, not shameful at all. You MUST be a manager....
hmmm

Lake Worth, FL

#46 Apr 12, 2012
carmenforu wrote:
I do not patronize Pet Smart. I have had issue when they gave shots to my kitten. She was so stressed,and they handle her rough. Once getting home, Zoe was still lathargic and blood in her stool.
That evening I took her to my vet. My vet stated that Zoe was stressed which caused intestinal bleeding.
I should have taken her to her vet orginally. The shots at Pet Smart were suppose to have been econonical.
So much for that theory.
Zoe is now grown and beautiful.
I also have a yorkie. I would not dare take my pets anywhere near Petsmart.
My yorkie is groomed at Petco. The groomers are great,and allow the parents to watch.
just fyi petsmart does not own the vet company inside the building that company just rents that space
Erica

Sutherlin, OR

#47 Apr 15, 2012
I am a bather at PetSmart and have never, ever seen any groomer or bather be rough or mean or hurt a dog or cat in my time of employment there. We all LOVE our jobs and love animals. Yes, there are some animals who do not like to be groomed who can be very difficult but violence like that is NEVER okay. You do what you can do, and thats all you can do. We don't push the animals and put them in that kind of stress. It saddens me to know that there are some groomers and bathers who would go to this extent and physically hurt the animals. I do want people to know that there are groomers and bathers out there who really LOVE thier jobs and take very good care of their animals while they are in our care. We would NEVER let anything like this happen.
IdleSkies8

Sutherlin, OR

#48 Apr 15, 2012
I am extremely saddened by their loss of little Rita, she was an adorable little bulldog! But I want to be completely honest there- I am a bather at a PetSmart and want people to know our side of things. I really don't think that the bather did anything intentionally to hurt this dog. I feel badly for this family and understand that it VERY hard to lose an animal you love so much but at the same time I hate that people have been blaming PetSmart and saying awful things about PetSmart. We all know that Bulldogs are breathing challenged therefore we do not kennel dry bulldogs. And do take more precaution with Bulldogs because of their breathing and health problems. We have a huge poster on the wall stating what dogs are breathing challenged and may not be kennel dried and we follow that policy very strictly. And the kennel driers we do put on the dogs kennels do not blow hot air.
What I do find strangethough is that whenever a puppy comes into our salon EVERYONE is just goo goo ga ga over ther puppies and takes extreme good care of the puppy. I don't know when the incident would of happened because when I groom a puppy it is either in my arms, the arms of another employee or in a kennel.
IThe possibilites with little Rita are either- Someone was bathing the puppy and the puppy jumped out of the bathtub with the groom loop around it's neck. Puppies especially can be or become very scared of the grooming process and become uncontrollable. The puppy may have jumped out to get away due to stress or fear. Or either it was on the grooming table and became scared of fearful and uncontrollable and jumped off the grooming table. Or, the puppie may have damaged her trachea even before she came into the salon by simply falling off of a high object and falling on her head. Who knows.
When we notice that animals are becoming stressed or uncontrollabe we stop the service, evaluate the situation and decide what to do at that point. Our rule in the salon is if it takes more than 2 people to do a groom. A groomer and something assiting we cannot continue the groom and call the pet parent to come pick up their animal.
But there are times when things happen so quickly that there is absolutely nothing as we humans can do. This could happen anywhere.
Example: When dogs are in the back of a truck, chained or tied to something and they decide to jump. Who's fault is it? The owner of the dog never intended for that to happen. Of course they love their animal and want to take the best care of the animal as they can. I personally would never tie my dog up in the back of a truck, but people do and accidents happen. You could be walking your dog on a leash and the dog may see another dog and charge towards it, either bruising or possibly crushing it's trachea.

At PetSmart when you leave your dog with us for an grooming appointment we go over a variety of health questions so we are aware of the conditions of your animal.
I LOVE my job as a bather for PetSmart- and am always careful and gentle with animals that I groom. There have been a few times when I could not continue a groom because the dog is very stressed to the point where he is urinating and deficating all over himself. Some animals cannot deal with it, being away from their family and in a completely new environment. The animals that I have had to send home have been previous shelter animals who have been rescued and they are very traumitized and scared of just about everything.
I feel that I am very trained to do what I do, PetSmart has a great, intensive training program. Safety is #1 in my PetSmart and we are very passionate about that!
I hope we can all come together on this topic and see things from everyone else's views. Nobody wishes this to happen, nobody. If this would of happened in my PetSmart we all would of been devestated, but it would of never happened. I wouldn't of let that puppy out of my arms!!!!
Ilg

Gardner, MA

#49 Jun 29, 2012
I have been a groomer at pesmart for ten years what ive learned is that not everyone is the same I have seen really wonder groomers in my time and some not so good ones, every one is different, im not saying they didn't hurt the dog but don't blame pesmart for how stupid some people can be, some of those groomers were trained and came from a private salon, at pet smart you don't just train for a "MONTH" you go to a academy for a month but you come back to your Salon and train train with your salon manager working only their shift for another 8-11weeks having to do 100dogs all Certain cuts and breeds, I also have my associates train before they even go to academy so they at least know the basics, again im not saying that there didn't do it because they definitively could have but this could also have happened at a private shop.. Please don't shit on pet smart, I have very high standards for my girls and wouldn't let an y shit like this fly!!
Marcel Wagner

Brighton, MI

#50 Sep 25, 2012
12k on a dog!!!??? are you insane and totality irresponsible with money?! You coulda saved a village in Haiti or done a ton of long lasting and meaningful things with that money. You spent it on a dying dog. One dog. The world would be better off without idiots like you.
RubyPearl wrote:
I too lost my dog after a grooming at a Petsmart. He was fine and started throwing ulp within two or three days after his grooming. He had a perineal (sp) hernia and I have to wonder if this wasn't due to rough grooming.
Actually, what happened was he went into the hospital for three surgeries after the grooming and I spent $12K and lost him two months after that.
As I type this, I am waiting to pick up my Shih Tzu from grooming at Petsmart. I am really nervous about this and must be insane, but this particular groomer I found there seems to be ok.

Since: Sep 12

Bhopal, India

#51 Sep 26, 2012
Hello,
I am looking to buy a real pair of clippers for doing my dogs and to possibly get into professional grooming as well. Experienced groomers, what are the best kind of clippers and any other tools (scissors, thinning shears, brushes, etc ) do you use and recommend on a daily basis. I have bought some from Pets mart for like 60 bucks and then after 5-6 haircuts they are junk! Also they heat up and make lines in the dog's coat.
Thanks
__________
[url=http://www.oneclickpets.c o.uk/]pet food[/url]
Magndat

Las Vegas, NV

#52 Nov 3, 2012
I TOOK MY COOKER SPANIEL TO GET WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A SIMPLE BATH AND BRUSH. TWO HOURS LATER MY DOG HAD A TOOTH HANGINGVON BY A TISSUE, AND A BROKEN JAW. GEE WHAT REALLY HAPPEN? ONLY MY DOG KNOW. THE TRUTH I SURE WISH SHE COULD TELL ME WHAT REALLY HAPPEN. PET ABUSE IM SURE. ALL BECAUSE OF A BATH NOW SHE HAS TO HAVE HER JAW WIRED. CAN WE SAY CALL MY ATTORNEY.
Tanya

Laguna Niguel, CA

#53 Nov 12, 2012
My dog died last night after being groomed @ Petsmart Friday afternoon. I was called to come pick my dog Misty up 30 mins after I dropped her off for a full grooming service. I was told that Misty was agitated by the blow dryer and slipped in the tub and bumped her nose which started to bleed. When I go there she seemed fine but got worst over the weekend until Sunday night. I rushed her to the vet and she was to far gone by then. I had her cremated but the vet said she was very concerned about her accident at Petsmart. Misty was 13 however she was in excellent health and no known health issues.
hooch818

Mocksville, NC

#54 Jan 1, 2013
I took my German Shepard to PetSmart in Salisbury MD to have her bathed, combed and nails trimmed we just moved there and it was our first time using them.
When we dropped her off they were friendly and willing to do anything good customer bs service upfront. They told us it would be about an hour so we left, they said they would call us after an one hour and 45 minutes of not hearing anything I called them figured they were a little behind 2 hours 57 minutes nothing after a total of 5 hours 44 minutes we got her back she was rinsed off not brushed and her nails looed like someone used a pair of scissors they were ragged and uneven i freaked my dog is a search and rescue dog and we try to make all trips to groomer and vet positive. When I asked if she was brushed and shampoed they told me yes. She still had the sand on her from the beach and her hair had a snarl. Not sure how that place is still running. I spoke with the manager of the store a different person fixed the problem they even gave me my money back I didnt want the money i told the manager that all I wanted my dog to look good after them making a big huge deal and making a one of the groomers upset i got my dog back and let will never return there to have my dog groomed
experience

Brentwood, TN

#55 Jan 29, 2013
Coming from a groomer, you have to understand that certain teqniques are used to safely be able to groom a dog that is being uncooperative. You also have to realize that your pets often act completely different when in the hands of someone who know how to do their jobs correctly. You may think your dog is crazy and would never cooperate but with the firmness of a well trained groomer, your dog should do just fine. The groomer is not always to blame. Some smaller dogs whose owners want all of their hair shaved off may get cold and in shock that they no longer have warm coat. Shaking can be explained through many other things rather than the abuse of a groomer. Use your instincts when choosing where to have your baby groomed. Get the grooming experience and track record of the shop before you go. I have never heard great things about petsmart grooming because of their lack of indepth training. Just be careful who you point blame to.
jalt1952

Henderson, NV

#56 Feb 15, 2013
Jane wrote:
Another frivolous lawsuit...
Really !!!! Interesting comment from someone that has never been affected by injuries to "YOUR" dog by petsmart. Mine was dropped while having his nails cut as I watched him bounce off the concrete and rupture 2 of his discs in his lumbar spine !!!!! Petsmart does NOT take responsibility for their actions !!!!!
Vtek

Plymouth Meeting, PA

#57 Apr 15, 2013
Were you able to get reimbursed for your expenses (not including vet bills?). If so, please let me know who you contacted, since I'm dealing with a similar situation. Thanks.
sympathize with you

Matthews, NC

#58 Apr 16, 2013
Magndat wrote:
I TOOK MY COOKER SPANIEL TO GET WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A SIMPLE BATH AND BRUSH. TWO HOURS LATER MY DOG HAD A TOOTH HANGINGVON BY A TISSUE, AND A BROKEN JAW. GEE WHAT REALLY HAPPEN? ONLY MY DOG KNOW. THE TRUTH I SURE WISH SHE COULD TELL ME WHAT REALLY HAPPEN. PET ABUSE IM SURE. ALL BECAUSE OF A BATH NOW SHE HAS TO HAVE HER JAW WIRED. CAN WE SAY CALL MY ATTORNEY.
Interesting...the same thing just happened to my cocker. Broken mandible lower jaw...has an external fixator on now. How did this affect you dog long term?
Burnt

Princeton, WV

#59 Apr 17, 2013
Dogmatic1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How was it, that Petsmart was at fault for the death of your dog? Did a vet confirm the dog's death was attributed by the groomer? If so, I would be doing more than mourning! If your dog died of natural or unnatural causes, then shame on you to place the blame on someone who had nothing to do with the death of your dog. If your dog was too old, had health problems and died because of the stressful situation you placed him in (grooming is never an enjoyable event for animals), then his death is on your hands. Be sure before making such libel claims, that you get your facts straight.
They may not have killed my dog but she is skiddish and has to take pills to keep her calm when she is groomed because of Petsmart. It was her first time getting groomed and they screwed up big time. For starters they missed half her hair. Cut the hair around her face which I told them repeatedly not to do. What I did not know at the time when I pick up her up, or someone would have gotten a chewing was they burnt her bottom up. They got the shears to hot. Her whole private areas were burnt and scabbed for a couple weeks. No wonder she hates being sheared now. Dogs remember when and how they got hurt. Ill never take her to Petsmart again.
Charlie mom

Saint Louis, MO

#60 Apr 25, 2013
We just took our Maltese to petsmart and she came back traumatized also. Her hair was really short and she cried because of a nick on her head and shoulder. She cried when I walked away from her which she HAD NEVER DONE BEFORE. We realized that er rubber bands holding her petsmart ribbone were tied tightly to her ears. As soon as we realized we cut off the rubber bands. Unfortunately it was too late and she lost her ears. SHE WAS traumatized and mutalated by the groomer. Petsmart says it is not their policy and has been rude and horrible since then.
Charlie mom

Saint Louis, MO

#61 Apr 25, 2013
My post does not say, but this was in Shawnie Mission Kansas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blacksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Radford McDonald's cashier Oct 20 cupid 2
Phyllis Saunders (Jul '13) Oct 19 Yuck 3
Brittany Baker Oct 18 BB the ho 1
Anyone know Bethany Myers Oct 12 RU Guy 1
Where is he? Oct 7 Lala 2
Does anyone know kathy cox or anything about he... Oct 6 pondering 1
420 help Sep 24 desperate 1
Blacksburg Dating
Find my Match

Blacksburg Jobs

Blacksburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Blacksburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Blacksburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]