Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2950 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Frustrated 2

Windsor, Canada

#1993 Apr 30, 2010
Severino Ruiz wrote:
My 2002 Chevy Malibu started beeping on me. The beepin sounds like its comin from my drivers side front door. I tried takein out the fuses but nothin happened. I think it has somethin to do with my doors. Can someone please help me out.
I have the exact same problem with my 2002, any idea what it is?????
Frustrated 2

Windsor, Canada

#1994 Apr 30, 2010
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever find your problem???I have the same thing
So do I, exact same thing. Any thoughts at all?????
Frustrated 2

Windsor, Canada

#1995 Apr 30, 2010
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is likely the anti-theft device. Same thing happened to me. Does that light come on in the gauges when you try to start it? IF so then that's it. You can reprogram it.
That is exactly what it is, had the same problem with my 02. The alarm/ignition module needed to be changed @ dealer ($500.00 ++++)
Ryan

Tomah, WI

#1996 Apr 30, 2010
My steering locked yesterday with the notification on the panel. Dealership blew me off. My electric starter doesn't work! Alarm kept going off last year but I replaced the battery which fixed it! Chevy lost my respect!
Duane

Lancaster, SC

#1997 May 6, 2010
AC compressor kicking out, better at Hwy speeds. Auto Zone checked charging system said battery was weak, replaced and voltage ranged from 12.12 to a max of 13.8 at 2000rpm. What is the alternator suppose to put out?
jay

Garland, TX

#1998 May 9, 2010
i have a 1981 chevy malibu and when i try to start it wont turn over and the lights on the dash dim out
two words or four

United States

#1999 May 9, 2010
jay wrote:
i have a 1981 chevy malibu and when i try to start it wont turn over and the lights on the dash dim out
Tow truck
Junk yard
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#2000 May 11, 2010
jay wrote:
In most likely order; also simplest checks first :---

Check battery connections; Clean and tighten.
Check battery; Try another known good battery; booster does not always work if the existing battery has dead shorted cells.
Check for seized engine; Try turning with a wrench on the nut on the end of crankshaft.
Check for seized starter motor. Jumper cables direct to starter motor terminals; beware of arc; just dab the final connection to terminal.
Faulty engine ground strap to frame.
Kayla

Arlington, TX

#2001 May 12, 2010
Ok let's try to see how I can clearly state the problems with me 2004 Malibu Maxx

-Bought the car used in August 2009. Had 69,000 miles

-September- The car kept dying on me. It would sit for a few days without me driving it and it would die. Had the battery replaced a few times, replaced starter, had the alternator tested, had the spark plugs test, everything seemed fine.

-It kept dying on me for weeks, I kept having it have it jumped. No interior lights or anything were left on. I had left my car at a shop for about a week. The shop turned the radio off before turning off the car. It didn't die so I took the car home. It died again and I realized that the radio was on when I had it jumped. So I tried seeing if turning off the radio before turning off the car would help. After I started doing that it didn't die on me anymore until the end of January, early Feb.

-Before I realized it could be the radio I took it to another shop and they said I might need to replace by Body Control Module but because it was so expensive I decided to just wait. I tried the radio trick and I didn't replace the BCM.

-Come around to Jan/Feb and the car dies on me again. Turning off the radio before turning off my car had been working flawlessly and my car hadn't died on me for months. I took it back to the shop that suggested the BCM and then they claim that it might not be it even though they were willing to collect money from me for it a few months earlier. Because they said it wasn't that I didn't replace anything. I just made sure to drive it every day so it didn't have enough time to fully drain.

-I haven't had any problems since Feb until tonight. I turned off the radio, turned off my car and got out. When I pressed the lock button with my remote the lights flashed but it didn't honk like it does when it locks. I noticed that the clock never turned off on my console like it's supposed to when you open the driver's side door. I tried starting my car and it sputtered and didn't want to turn over. So I took out the fuse in the passenger side panel for the radio to reset the radio. This seemed to help. I started the car again with no problems and this time the radio and clock turned off completely after opening the driver's side door.

Does anyone have ANY tips of advice?! I can't keep having these problems every few months and I'm set to take a road trip next week and I don't want any problems I'd greatly appreciate any help. I hope that this was easy enough to follow!
fred flintstone

Sayville, NY

#2002 May 14, 2010
brett wrote:
I have a 2003 Malibu and my tilt steering is stuck in one stop. The handle just flops around. The dealer ship wants to charge a arm and a leg to fix. Can anyone help me.
junk yard
fred flintstone

Sayville, NY

#2003 May 14, 2010
Alicia wrote:
Anyone know why my 99 Malibu is doing this: It turns over, all the lights come on, the radio, power works. So I already know it's not the battery. After it turns over, it dies right away. SOMETIMES it will stay running. I had my fuel pump replaced last year along with the fuel lines. Maybe it's just time for a new car, but I'd rather fix the problem then have to buy a new car!
try security system reset very simple to do.
turn key to on position wait a full 10 minutes, turn key to off position wait 1 full minute. start car
Maggie B

Baton Rouge, LA

#2004 May 15, 2010
I have a 2004 chevy malibu. Both blinkers on the left side have stopped working. I've replaced the bulbs several times and they work fine, but the lights won't blink. Also the running light on the left side won't come on. However, the headlight works fine. Does anyone have any ideas?
Teri-Lynn

Peterborough, Canada

#2006 May 21, 2010
I have a 2001 chev malibu. Recently switched the radio and now it is shows a "locked" message on the screen. I have tried doing the code technique but it will not release he code... any other ideas????
Bob

Houston, TX

#2007 May 26, 2010
Wow.
With quality like this who would have ever thought that GM would go bankrupt?
Buy local, buy Honda. My 01 Civic has been very reliable and has only needed scheduled maintenance.
kmoss

Portland, OR

#2008 May 31, 2010
I have a 06 malibu and it has this awful rotten egg smell? There is no check engine light on so i am confused on what it could be? Also the trunk leaks and noticed that the floor bord behind the passanger seat is soaked as well???? anyone else have this problem?
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#2009 May 31, 2010
kmoss wrote:
I have a 06 malibu and it has this awful rotten egg smell? There is no check engine light on so i am confused on what it could be? Also the trunk leaks and noticed that the floor bord behind the passanger seat is soaked as well???? anyone else have this problem?
Rotten egg smell is usually from Catalytic Converter; it is always there until the CC warms up; if it persists then converter is running cold or leaking.
Other smells can be from mildew in the AC / Heater core; spray with conditioner available at Auto Shop.
Smell could be as simple as rotting carpet / underlay; take out carpet / underlay and dry thoroughly; repair floor; FIX LEAKS and replace.
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#2010 Jun 1, 2010
Bob wrote:
Wow.
With quality like this who would have ever thought that GM would go bankrupt?
Buy local, buy Honda. My 01 Civic has been very reliable and has only needed scheduled maintenance.
My Honda Civic self destructed the engine at 250,000 km !
Known defect where the oil pump skew gear on the camshaft breaks up.
Otherwise it was an excellent car; added 300,000 km to the already used engine I replaced it with.
Against that my Malibu has around 340,000 km with only the infamous inlet manifold leak.
christine

United States

#2011 Jun 9, 2010
I have an 06 Chevy Malibu, sometimes when i get in, turn the key, and step on the brake, it makes this very strange noise. Does anyone know what it would be? Its an intermittent problem.
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#2012 Jun 11, 2010
I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu, with 250 thousand miles on it. It now leaking coolant and the shop says the seal and the resevoir need to be replaced. They say it will cost 1200 dollars. I was wondering if that is too much to spend on a car in this condition?
Nancy

Jena, LA

#2013 Jun 14, 2010
I have a 2002 Chevy Malbu turn sigal & flashers work fine. But when the sigal go off the blinker sound continues. Also the bell sound that you hear when you open the door is ring as you drive down the road also. I already had the flasher switch change the noise continues. Help Me this is driving me out ot my mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blacklick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kellie doty demmler 4 hr Cheater 23
News Schools closed, students charged in wake of thr... 4 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Most Posts Wins (May '17) 5 hr They cannot kill ... 34
T Minus 4 3 2 1 ,,,, | Mueller Gone! 5 hr They cannot kill ... 1,417
Man Fatally stabs woman reading at neighborhood... 6 hr Reality Speaks 4
Dem Memo In Full ! 6 hr Reality Speaks 9
older women needing spanked? (May '17) 7 hr LMAO 109

Blacklick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Blacklick Mortgages