marshal sam payne???
Hmmm

United States

#1 Apr 1, 2011
Would like to know info about him. Details of his life story would b great! serious ppl only pls its for a school paper so no nonsense.
me too

United States

#3 Apr 5, 2011
I would love to know more information about Mr. Payne also. I know he lived in the Black Rock area, and was married to Mandy (Dunlap) Payne, was rumored he had a child, but he and Mandy had no children. Found this article that might interest you. Mr. Gibbens from the college wrote a book a few years ago which included an article on Mr. Payne, but I never got to read it.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...
me too

United States

#4 Apr 5, 2011
Do a google search for Lawrence County, Ar
By Turner Publishing Company. Then do a search on that page for his name. Gives you a little bit more info.
Zebra 2

Little Rock, AR

#5 Apr 25, 2011
Hmmm wrote:
Would like to know info about him. Details of his life story would b great! serious ppl only pls its for a school paper so no nonsense.
Contact Prof. Jerry Gibbens at WBC. He has done a study on him. Written a paper too, I think.
Zebra 2

Little Rock, AR

#6 Apr 25, 2011
me too wrote:
Do a google search for Lawrence County, Ar
By Turner Publishing Company. Then do a search on that page for his name. Gives you a little bit more info.
Better yet, buy the book from Lawrence County Historical Society.
local

Joiner, AR

#7 Apr 29, 2011
Is he the one that got shot? or shot at
Donna

Little Rock, AR

#8 May 31, 2011
If you want info on Sam Payne you can talk to my mom Audrey Meeks. She helps with the Black ROck Historical Society. He was also suppost to be the man who shot my grandfather or great grandfather not sure. If you are still interested in info you can look her up in the phone book under Herschel Meeks.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#9 Jun 15, 2011
My great grandfather's name is Jesse Sam Payne. He was born in Black Rock. He said that Sam Payne was his father, but his mother was never married to him. Her last name was a Honey or Honeycutt. From what "Me too" said about having a child but not with his wife would put the pieces together. Any help or info would be great. How did you know of that?

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Jun 19, 2011
local wrote:
Is he the one that got shot? or shot at
He didn't get shot or shot at, he is the one that done the shooting.

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Jun 19, 2011
Sam-s grandson wrote:
My great grandfather's name is Jesse Sam Payne. He was born in Black Rock. He said that Sam Payne was his father, but his mother was never married to him. Her last name was a Honey or Honeycutt. From what "Me too" said about having a child but not with his wife would put the pieces together. Any help or info would be great. How did you know of that?
Think I remember reading about the rumor a few years ago in an article written by mr. gibbens
interesting

United States

#13 Feb 17, 2012
Sam and his wife did not have children.
Richard Payne

United States

#14 Feb 19, 2013
My Grandfathers name was Sam Payne from White Co.. His father's name was Sam Payne from the Black Rock Area. His father may not have claimed him but that does not change the fact of who my grandfather was.
Jason Payne

United States

#15 Feb 20, 2013
Richard who was your father?
Richard Payne

United States

#16 Feb 21, 2013
Jason Payne wrote:
T C Payne brother to George, Harold, Juanita, And Bill Payne
Jason Payne

United States

#17 Feb 21, 2013
Ok. I'm David's son. Don't think I have ever met you or your brother randy?
joyce hanan

Shreveport, LA

#18 Feb 23, 2013
My husband use to sit in Mr. Payne lap. He lived beside my husband when my husband was a little boy. My husband and his family was at Mr. and Mrs. Payne's house when Mr.Payne died.He loved to bird hunt and went to church regular and he told my husband that he killed all but one of the people he was accused of killing. The house where Mr. and Mrs. Payne lived has been tore down. I still remember where the house stood.
just me

Little Rock, AR

#19 Jul 12, 2013
Hey Joyce I just seen in the Ar. State Board of nursing site that you did something bad, at work and lost your job. What did you do?

United States

#20 Jul 16, 2013
Jason Payne wrote:
any relation to James payne
Georgia Ann Payne

Salem, OR

#21 Feb 26, 2015
me too wrote:
I would love to know more information about Mr. Payne also. I know he lived in the Black Rock area, and was married to Mandy (Dunlap) Payne, was rumored he had a child, but he and Mandy had no children. Found this article that might interest you. Mr. Gibbens from the college wrote a book a few years ago which included an article on Mr. Payne, but I never got to read it.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...
My grandfather was Jesse Sam Payne from the Black Rock area & married Edia McAlister. We have been told that marshal Sam Payne was his father though he never claimed my grandfather. There is an interesting, almost comical story about Sam Payne if not for the seriousness of the criminal charges in a book titled Arkansas Biography: A Collection of Notable Lives. The book was edited by Nancy A. Williams and Jeannie M. Whayne and published by University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1-55728-587
poemerlin

Salem, OR

#22 Mar 10, 2015
joyce hanan wrote:
My husband use to sit in Mr. Payne lap. He lived beside my husband when my husband was a little boy. My husband and his family was at Mr. and Mrs. Payne's house when Mr.Payne died.He loved to bird hunt and went to church regular and he told my husband that he killed all but one of the people he was accused of killing. The house where Mr. and Mrs. Payne lived has been tore down. I still remember where the house stood.
My maiden name is Payne and my grandfather was Sam Payne. He claimed that marshal Sam Payne of Black Rock was his father, though Mandy was not his mother. The family is trying to find more info on the marshal and any photos of him if they exist. Can you help us out? My grandparents were Sam Payne and Edia McAlister Payne and were both from the Black Rock area. Mamaw Payne's parents, William N. McAlister and Margaret Jane Hillis McAlister are both buried in Lawrence County.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pray for me 1 hr LoneWolfNoClub 1
Kel 1 hr Concerned friend 6
stacyk snapp (Jul '15) 2 hr Count Demoney 6
J K Simms the prison snake will bite you for yo... 7 hr Guest 2
Lisa and Billy 10 hr Dee 1
Hey... 15 hr 2ndstreet 1
Ma and Pa 19 hr Masy 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Black Rock Mortgages