created by: Top Mod2 | Sep 13, 2010

New York

3,599 votes

New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (explain below)
Comments
16,441 - 16,460 of 16,777 Comments Last updated 19 hrs ago
Remiesong

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're good with a Flat Tax in which everyone pays, say, a flat 18% of income, yeh? No loopholes, no deductions for anyone - a one-page tax return:
Line 1: How much did you make?
Line 2: Multiply by 0.18
Line 3 - Send it in.
What could be fairer?
So you're good with that, right?
seems reasonable but the rich pricks would never let it happen
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Remiesong wrote:
<quoted text> seems reasonable but the rich pricks would never let it happen
Rich pricks like Steve Forbes, you mean? He's one of the guys that's been pushing for it for years.

No - the opposition we need to smack down are the members of Congress IN BOTH PARTIES who amass power and fund their campaign war-chests by selling tax code favors to special interests ON BOTH THE LEFT AND THE RIGHT.

That and the many thousands of lawyers and accountants who are making BILLIONS as tax-dodge artists who would then have to go out and get real, productive jobs.

Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Unrelyable wrote:
<quoted text>
I paid 24% in taxes in 2012, Romney, who made 5 million dollars in 2012 by the way, paid 13.9% in taxes. Seems fair, eh?
How do you feel about Obama, who only paid 18.4 percent in 2012?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/04/12/pre...
nac

Piscataway, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich pricks like Steve Forbes, you mean? He's one of the guys that's been pushing for it for years.
No - the opposition we need to smack down are the members of Congress IN BOTH PARTIES who amass power and fund their campaign war-chests by selling tax code favors to special interests ON BOTH THE LEFT AND THE RIGHT.
That and the many thousands of lawyers and accountants who are making BILLIONS as tax-dodge artists who would then have to go out and get real, productive jobs.
Exactly right. Neither party is ever going to seriously raise taxes on the wealthy. The left will pay lip service to the idea... but won't really do it.

In the end, the middle and lower classes will foot the bill.
Remiesong

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you feel about Obama, who only paid 18.4 percent in 2012?
I think that's terrific, seems fair to me. This was also commendable - The President and First Lady also reported donating $150,034 – or about 24.6 percent of their adjusted gross income – to 33 different charities. The largest reported gift to charity was $103,871 to the Fisher House Foundation.
I'm not sure who created all the loopholes, but I can prett well guess they wouldn't give them up easily. All anybody wants is what is fair and reasonable unless they are undeniably greedy, and selfish it's human nature. It 's what we're taught in kindergarten. Sharing, consideration, co-operation... Where did we go wrong? How could we let greed and corruption overcome our values? Is there any hope?
Al Czervik

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Of course - U should 2 wrote:
It's my civic DUTY and yours too!
Pinko !
booboo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Yes for sure
disallusioned vet

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

We have a choice to vote not a choice who we vote for. A rigged game plays to the house
Unrelyable

Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>How do you feel about Obama, who only paid 18.4 percent in 2012?

Fair taxes for everyone...

It's only the republican minds that asserts liberals don't hold their president to the same standards...
Unrelyable

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>So you're good with a Flat Tax in which everyone pays, say, a flat 18% of income, yeh? No loopholes, no deductions for anyone - a one-page tax return:

Line 3 - Send it in.

What could be fairer?

"So you're good with a Flat Tax in which everyone pays, say, a flat 18% of income, yeh? No loopholes, no deductions for anyone - a one-page tax return"

No, as, again, and yes I understand ill have to repeat myself at least fifty times for you conservatives to understand, I'm for FAIRER taxes.....

How is someone, who makes $30,000 a year, paying the same in taxes as someone making $1,000,000 a year fair?

It isn't, so no, I'm not for a flat tax...
Unrelyable

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>So you're good with a Flat Tax in which everyone pays, say, a flat 18% of income, yeh? No loopholes, no deductions for anyone - a one-page tax return:

Line 3 - Send it in.

What could be fairer?

"Line 1: How much did you make?
Line 3 - Send it in. "

Ha ha oh so u made $20,000 last year working three jobs? Sure, pay exactly the same amount in taxes as someone who made $5 million...
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Unrelyable wrote:
<quoted text>
"Line 1: How much did you make?
Line 3 - Send it in. "
Ha ha oh so u made $20,000 last year working three jobs? Sure, pay exactly the same amount in taxes as someone who made $5 million...
Yeah - I was wondering whether we'd see if you ever made it past 6th grade arithmetic. If your handle refers to your math skillz - it's accurate.

No, the guy making $20K/ann pays 0.18 x $20K =$3600. Ten bucks a day.

The guy making $5 mill/ann pays 0.18 x $5 mill =$900,000.

So, no - they don't pay "exactly the same amount in taxes." The guy making $5 mill is paying 250 TIMES as much tax as the $20K/ann guy.

Still not "fair" enough for you? Fine - we can exclude from taxation ALL income up to a threshold amount - say, the Federal poverty line ($11,170 in 2012, for an individual). Still simple, flat, fair and we can still do that on a 1-page tax return.

Then your $20K/ann guy would be paying 0.18 x ($20K -$11.17K)=$1,589.40 in taxes - less than $5 a day - while Mr. Eeeeevul Rich Guy gets gouged with a 0.18 x ($5 mill -$11,170)=$897,989.40 tax bill - about 565 TIMES what your $20K/year guy pays.

I'm just fine with that, too - how about you?
Harry Potters Grandson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

No one here has more than half a brain.
Captain Morgan

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Harry Potters Grandson wrote:
No one here has more than half a brain.
And you thought you were gifted with your 1/4 brain! Hah! Go bag to Hogwort - Potter.
voter

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

vote
voter

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

just vote for who u want
Unrelyable

Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah - I was wondering whether we'd see if you ever made it past 6th grade arithmetic. If your handle refers to your math skillz - it's accurate.

So, no - they don't pay "exactly the same amount in taxes." The guy making $5 mill is paying 250 TIMES as much tax as the $20K/ann guy.

Still not "fair" enough for you? Fine - we can exclude from taxation ALL income up to a threshold amount - say, the Federal poverty line ($11,170 in 2012, for an individual). Still simple, flat, fair and we can still do that on a 1-page tax return.

Then your $20K/ann guy would be paying 0.18 x ($20K -$11.17K)=$1,589.40 in taxes - less than $5 a day - while Mr. Eeeeevul Rich Guy gets gouged with a 0.18 x ($5 mill -$11,170)=$897,989.40 tax bill - about 565 TIMES what your $20K/year guy pays.

"So, no - they don't pay "exactly the same amount in taxes.""

...Both are paying 18% in taxes... That's, in fact, both parties paying the same amount in taxes... 18%...

Sure, salaries can differ, obviously, but that doesn't negate the fact someone who makes $25,000 a year, paying 18% in taxes is paying the SAME amount in taxes as someone making three million dollars a year... 18%...

"Still not "fair" enough for you?"

Still?? You didn't say anything different... You claim poor and rich people should pay the same tax rate, to which you CONTINUED to argue... And it's STILL not fair, in my opinion...

"I'm just fine with that, too - how about you?"

Obviously not, as MY argument has been, and still is, poor people should not pay the same amount in taxes (rate wise, since you're obviously trying to skew what I'm saying now) as rich people... It's not fair...
Unrelyable

Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah - I was wondering whether we'd see if you ever made it past 6th grade arithmetic. If your handle refers to your math skillz - it's accurate.

"If your handle refers to your math skillz - it's accurate."

Oh no! Not an insult on topix!

Sorry you don't get the difference between rich people paying less in taxes then poor people. And sorry you confuse tax rates with people's income compared to the tax rate.

But to reiterate, nothing you said negates the fact rich people pay lower tax rates then poor people and that, to me, is not fair...
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Unrelyable wrote:
<quoted text>
"So, no - they don't pay "exactly the same amount in taxes.""
...Both are paying 18% in taxes... That's, in fact, both parties paying the same amount in taxes... 18%...
Sure, salaries can differ, obviously, but that doesn't negate the fact someone who makes $25,000 a year, paying 18% in taxes is paying the SAME amount in taxes as someone making three million dollars a year... 18%...
"Still not "fair" enough for you?"
Still?? You didn't say anything different... You claim poor and rich people should pay the same tax rate, to which you CONTINUED to argue... And it's STILL not fair, in my opinion...
"I'm just fine with that, too - how about you?"
Obviously not, as MY argument has been, and still is, poor people should not pay the same amount in taxes (rate wise, since you're obviously trying to skew what I'm saying now) as rich people... It's not fair...
So, extending your logic, your sense of "fair" is that rich people should pay a higher price/gal at the gas pump that poor people, higher prices for food than poor people, higher prices for ballgame tickets for the same seats as poor people, and so on.

"Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen!" - Karl Marx.

Your concept of "fair" is the Marxist one.

I suggest you move to a country more aligned with Marxist ideals.

That isn't "fair" in America.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Unrelyable wrote:
<quoted text>
But to reiterate, nothing you said negates the fact rich people pay lower tax rates then poor people and that, to me, is not fair...
I never deied that. I proposed DOING SOMETHING TO CORRECT THAT - specifically, change the tax code so that EVERYONE, rich or not, pays the SAME IDENTICAL tax rate. Rich people would NOT pay any lower tax rate.

Apart from your Marxist bent, what's "unfair" about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Black River Discussions

Search the Black River Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Deputies: Lewis County men stole catalytic conv... 39 min HaHa 12
Watertown man accused of enticing girl into per... (Sep '12) 1 hr Purbie Perbs 7
Copenhagen Firemen's Field Day 2 hr residentofcph 3
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Matt Lauers Toupee 6,362
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
What has this world come too? 22 hr Jury 7
lewis county fair parade Mon how about 14
•••
•••
•••
Black River Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Black River Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000