Governor signs bill to keep UND Fighting Sioux nickname

Full story: TwinCities.com

North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple has signed legislation that requires the University of North Dakota to keep its Fighting Sioux nickname.
Comments
21 - 40 of 63 Comments Last updated Mar 19, 2011
Explain lucy

United States

#25 Mar 17, 2011
white racist bigot wrote:
whats wrong with calling the team the "German catholic priests?" then we can all go to the game and act stupid and make fun of the german catholic priests. they won`t mind its honoring them and all in fun.
that doesn't make sense. Did German Catholic priests fight wars or sumthin'?. Are you poorly educated? You sound like you are. But maybe you're really brilliant and just don't want to boast? Don't you know how that makes you look stupid? Why cain't yuh jus' shutchyo' mouth? or fill it with pie!? Or an Indian Taco!
appropriate coincidence

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Mar 17, 2011
"The german catholic priests", thats a good name, I will dress up as a catholic priest, go to the game and act stupid, the German Catholic Priests won`t mind were honoring them and its all in the name of fun.
To go further, the term "Fighting Irish" was a derogatory nick name used to mock the Irish immigrant community in the mid 19th century. Racism and exploitation was justified by the stereotype that all Irish were lazy drunks that did nothing but fight. Hence, Fighting Irish.

As an Irish American I am not offended by this and enjoy the fact that an Irish Catholic University has turned this negative stereotype into a positive. I have a "sense of humor" I guess....
Bud

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Mar 17, 2011
Seems to me it's honoring the fighting spirit of the great Sioux Nation. Not sure how it's "racist". Two people complained because they can get some attention, and the PC crowd bends right over.
Students Pay the Price wrote:
Speaking as someone from Fargo, I can say sadly this bigoted view of the world by the North Dakota legislature isn't surprising. Beyond the obvious racist nature of keeping the name for no reason other than pride, this will more than anything lead to UND students paying the price by not being allowed to participate in NCAA events, and not being allowed to host sporting events. Also, this will have a major impact on recruiting for athletics and academics, because what student would want to play for a team that is guaranteed to be penalized by the NCAA for as long as they keep the name? The Sioux tribes do not support UND's use of the name, and there is little tradition of the "Fighting Sioux" at UND - it wasn’t long ago that their nickname was the Flickertails. I guess the Gophers wont have to worry about UND any more.
Ellisons Tears

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Mar 17, 2011
Speaking as someone from Fargo, I can say sadly this bigoted view of the world by the North Dakota legislature isn't surprising. Beyond the obvious racist nature of keeping the name for no reason other than pride, this will more than anything lead to UND students paying the price by not being allowed to participate in NCAA events, and not being allowed to host sporting events. Also, this will have a major impact on recruiting for athletics and academics, because what student would want to play for a team that is guaranteed to be penalized by the NCAA for as long as they keep the name? The Sioux tribes do not support UND's use of the name, and there is little tradition of the "Fighting Sioux" at UND - it wasn’t long ago that their nickname was the Flickertails. I guess the Gophers wont have to worry about UND any more.
Maybe you could encourage your brave (no pun intended) Democrat legislators to run to Illinois and hide in a motel, only to return beaten and humiliated. Or, you can round up your fellow single digit I.Q. Lefties, and occupy the ND capitol building.(Don't forget to vandalize and trash it while you're there). Either way, when your tantrum is over, nobody will give a hoot. Democrats are stupid.
Goldteam

Rock Island, IL

#31 Mar 17, 2011
appropriate coincidence wrote:
<quoted text>
To go further, the term "Fighting Irish" was a derogatory nick name used to mock the Irish immigrant community in the mid 19th century. Racism and exploitation was justified by the stereotype that all Irish were lazy drunks that did nothing but fight. Hence, Fighting Irish.
As an Irish American I am not offended by this and enjoy the fact that an Irish Catholic University has turned this negative stereotype into a positive. I have a "sense of humor" I guess....
I am hurt and offended! Where do I sign up for reparations?!
Goldteam

Rock Island, IL

#33 Mar 17, 2011
Damn Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You friggin' idiot. Since this has NOTHING to do with Minnesota, I doubt Governor Dayton will say much about it. Perhaps you need a lesson in geography.
What was it about my description of Marx that led you to infer I was talking about MN's hero?
RYK

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Mar 17, 2011
North Dakota - way to go

NCAA - pound sand
Jack

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#35 Mar 17, 2011
All of these white people getting upset about this are rather naive and should be wasting their time on other things. Don't they realize that most Indians are drunks and therefore don't even realize that this is the name of a school team?
Goldteam

Rock Island, IL

#36 Mar 17, 2011
Rudy Perpich wrote:
The name really isn't that great considering that Sioux Indians are habitual losers.
That and they are too lazy to play hockey...
Bud

Minneapolis, MN

#37 Mar 17, 2011
Bud wrote:
Seems to me it's honoring the fighting spirit of the great Sioux Nation. Not sure how it's "racist". Two people complained because they can get some attention, and the PC crowd bends right over.
<quoted text>
I worked with a American Indian a few years back and he gave me his perspective of the word Sioux.

He said he didn't appreciate people using the Sioux name because it was a white mans name for "Snake".

I figured that he would know.
Spats

Hudson, WI

#39 Mar 17, 2011
As a gopher fan I would gladly see the school adopt the more appropiate name of "The Fighting Sissies"
Eric Shun

Saint Paul, MN

#40 Mar 17, 2011
WINNING! DUH!
Nick

Minneapolis, MN

#42 Mar 17, 2011
Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with a American Indian a few years back and he gave me his perspective of the word Sioux.
He said he didn't appreciate people using the Sioux name because it was a white mans name for "Snake".
I figured that he would know.
That is true. my Chippewa friends told me that many moons ago.
They prefer Dakota or Lakota.
Sioux is a derogatory term.
Chief Drunkatnoon

Saint Paul, MN

#43 Mar 17, 2011
Evangilizer wrote:
The governor of SD. is a j a c k a s s.
UND is in North Dakota...moron.
Nick

Minneapolis, MN

#45 Mar 17, 2011
Spats wrote:
<quoted text>
As a gopher fan I would gladly see the school adopt the more appropiate name of "The Fighting Sissies"
Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers.

I hate the name Gophers but i do wear my Uof MN shirts.

Our hockey, baseball and wrestlers are not sissies but the badgers have our number in football..
Goldteam

Rock Island, IL

#46 Mar 17, 2011
Chief Drunkatnoon wrote:
<quoted text>UND is in North Dakota...moron.
Chief Drunkatnoon?!!!!!!!!! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !!
Chief Drunktard

Minneapolis, MN

#48 Mar 17, 2011
Goldteam wrote:
<quoted text>
Chief Drunkatnoon?!!!!!!!!! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !!
Whataudoin laffing at a drunkard?
Huh

Minneapolis, MN

#49 Mar 17, 2011
Chief Drunkatnoon wrote:
<quoted text>UND is in North Dakota...moron.
Are you related to Drunkoncouch?
Finepix

Cedar Park, TX

#50 Mar 17, 2011
Why does anyone care what a bunch in Injuns say?
Finepix

Cedar Park, TX

#51 Mar 17, 2011
the white race is a sorry as- race, they don`t even have anybody to honor as a mascot.
We have Paydirt Pete ya A-hole!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chancellor on Sioux Name (Sep '10) Aug 22 Sangelia 6
North Dakota gets first NAACP chapter (May '09) Aug 21 Ejem 93
Crazy Horse/The Great Spirit Gave Him A Shield Aug 10 Loyd Burleson 1
FaceTime Aug 5 Becky 1
Transit survey: enter to win a $50 Amazon prize... (May '11) Jul '14 Eric-W-Koci 4
sports Jul '14 sports fan 1
Molly Bish and Maura Murray (Aug '11) Jun '14 HollandWindmills 22
•••
•••
Bismarck Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Bismarck Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••