Fighting Sioux backers appeal to N.D....

Fighting Sioux backers appeal to N.D. Gov. Hoeven

There are 26 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 15, 2010, titled Fighting Sioux backers appeal to N.D. Gov. Hoeven. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A group of Spirit Lake Sioux tribal members who lost a court fight on the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname want Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RHE

Dunn Center, ND

#22 Apr 16, 2010
This is an issue for the Sioux to decide not some white/black/yellow/red man telling them how to think. Give them the opportunity to vote on the issue and let their decision stand.
Dr Kildare

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Apr 16, 2010
I agree, let the proud Indian names get lost in history through political bs and adversity. Ten years from now when it comes to the Sioux name, people will say "WHO"
Rich Lee wrote:
Fine...Get rid of the "Fighting Sioux" name and change it to the " North Dakota Rough-Riders" in honor those great men that rode with Teddy Roosevelt. Screw this politically correct BS.
wtf

San Francisco, CA

#24 Apr 16, 2010
Sadly the Fighting Sioux supporters had their chance and messed up. Not sure what the N.D. Governer can really do for them. The N.D. Supreme Court would over ride any decision he would make.
What

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Apr 16, 2010
PETA can go after the "Packers" of South Saint Paul.
rhe

Dunn Center, ND

#26 Apr 17, 2010
wtf wrote:
Sadly the Fighting Sioux supporters had their chance and messed up. Not sure what the N.D. Governer can really do for them. The N.D. Supreme Court would over ride any decision he would make.
The Governor has the power to put an issue to a vote; although, the ND Board of Education is not bound by such a vote per the court’s decision. On the other side, I believe the Board would accept the decision.
Let the remaining Sioux tribe vote. This whole issue will not die unless the Sioux’s voice is heard. Let them speak, and the remainder of us should accept their decision whatever it may be.
I believe by denying the Sioux a voice it will go down in history as another example of the white (sorry term “white” is being used loosely and should include all races) man’s denial of justice to the American Indian.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#27 Apr 17, 2010
rhe wrote:
<quoted text>
The Governor has the power to put an issue to a vote; although, the ND Board of Education is not bound by such a vote per the court’s decision. On the other side, I believe the Board would accept the decision.
Let the remaining Sioux tribe vote. This whole issue will not die unless the Sioux’s voice is heard. Let them speak, and the remainder of us should accept their decision whatever it may be.
I believe by denying the Sioux a voice it will go down in history as another example of the white (sorry term “white” is being used loosely and should include all races) man’s denial of justice to the American Indian.
We have a whole lot of people here, including me, who shouldn't really have a say in this matter.
I agree, the decision is totally up to the tribe, and it disturbs me to see people tell me how a Native American should feel about this.
I have NO IDEA how they feel, and it is not my responsibility to tell everyone else how they should feel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Dakota's outsider candidate ready to tack... Jun 16 Hostis Publicus 3
help our jewish brothers May 28 lake bay boy 2
Hilary Recknor: Huge Plans For Youranus (Oct '15) May 27 Zeke the Pinhead 4
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) May '16 Friend of TC 30
Debate: Marijuana - Bismarck, ND (Aug '10) Apr '16 ken 13
Repent Repent Repent Apr '16 BE WASHED 1
News Flying High Apr '16 Assfacehole Queer... 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bismarck Mortgages