Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Oct 18, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I tell the painful truth”

Since: Dec 06

Clovis, CA

#1 May 30, 2007
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.

http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
ken

Bismarck, ND

#2 Jul 21, 2007
what ones see may not be what others see
Carol

Gettysburg, SD

#3 Sep 6, 2007
Was this documented as true? Has Teen Challenge had opportunity to address this?

“I tell the painful truth”

Since: Dec 06

Clovis, CA

#4 Sep 6, 2007
Carol wrote:
Was this documented as true? Has Teen Challenge had opportunity to address this?
My site has been up for over a year. Several Teen Challenge staff members from across the country have contacted me, and asked me if my time couldn't be better spent doing some thing else (No, I kept a promise to those students at Teen Challenge who asked me to expose this, so my time could not be better spent). They do not deny what I have written - facts are stubborn things - they just complain that I'm doing it.

My site has received some very nice feedback; I was asked by a resident of Eureka, CA (he read my site) to write a letter to the editor because Teen Challenge was trying to open a new branch there. I wrote the letter telling the people of Eureka what TC is really like, a very concerned citizen read it and submitted an editorial, and the ensuing uproar cause the owner of the building TC was going to buy to cancel escrow. That deal is now dead in the water.

Teen Challenge staff in California will never publicly denied anything I have written. If you've ever seen the movie "QBVII", you'll know why.

Stay tuned. There will be some fireworks concerning TC here in California before the end of the year.
mel

United States

#5 Sep 24, 2007
it's funnny how things seem to go bad when things
are not going your way and that is the case for most drug addict people we dont like looking at ourslef and when there something that make you look
at your problem you turn the focus around yes teen challgene needs money and yes they are money hunger
because it takes money to feed and house people who need help it's naturally that something did not go this person way so now the best thing he thougt to do was expose teen challenge try to stop the suppose of those who want to help yea thanks for helping other from getting help they need to gst off drugs it's all because of your selfishness
beause it did go your way guess what guyit's not about you it's about saving someone life and a soul

“I tell the painful truth”

Since: Dec 06

Clovis, CA

#6 Sep 24, 2007
mel wrote:
it's funnny how things seem to go bad when things
are not going your way and that is the case for most drug addict people we dont like looking at ourslef and when there something that make you look
at your problem you turn the focus around yes teen challgene needs money and yes they are money hunger
because it takes money to feed and house people who need help it's naturally that something did not go this person way so now the best thing he thougt to do was expose teen challenge try to stop the suppose of those who want to help yea thanks for helping other from getting help they need to gst off drugs it's all because of your selfishness
beause it did go your way guess what guyit's not about you it's about saving someone life and a soul
Take a break from Jesus for six months and take a remedial English class. You are in desperate need of one, because a bag of rocks that "has Jesus" is still a bag of rocks.
David Jesser

Sioux Falls, SD

#7 Oct 23, 2007
Michael Kincheloe wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
I not only lived a life of many addictions from drugs and alcohol to sex, as well as many others, but I have known many many people who have lived with addictions as well. I can personally attest to the fact that I was never able to overcome these addictions until I decided to turn my life over to Christ and, yes, utilize prayer and the prayers of others as part of my recovery. I have been clean since Dec. 25th, 2000 and I have passed all of my urine tests with the D.O.C. to prove it. I am on probation and have to take random U.A.'s which I did not pass in the beginning and spent almost 2 1/2 years in jail/prison because of that. I never went to Teen Challenge but I have friends who went to T.C. in South Dakota and North Dakota and they had nothing but good to say about the facilities, staff and program. I also volunteer my time speaking to those at T.C. and as a mentor for men as they leave the program and need someone to walk with them when they are granted more freedom and face the realities of the free world. No program works for everyone, and I am sorry for you and all who are there if what you say is true about the T.C. you were a part of, but to say that ALL T.C. facilities are liars, money hungry and self-serving, staffed by ignorant people etc. just because of your experiences in ONE bad facility is not only wrong it is irresponsible. You don't say in your writing that the specific T.C. you were part of was bad, you imply that the organization as a whole is bad and you have NO experiences in the other T.C. facilities to base that on. I am happy to hear that you were able to utilize a non-faith based program to become clean and sober, that is the goal for all of us after all, but I will still continue to pray for you and any others in this world who are fighting addictions and regardless of any "research" by non-Christians with their own agendas to push I will continue to believe that God does answer prayers. We are all accountable to God for the truth that has been told to us about Jesus Christ dieing on the cross for our sins and God raising Him from the dead so that we can have forgiveness of our sins and live eternal life with God our Creator and Father. If you don't choose to believe, I can't change that, you have to answer for your actions to God. I have to answer to God for my actions and beliefs too one day. God bless you and everyone in this life, may you find peace and happiness and most importantly Truth in your lives!
seekr

Washougal, WA

#8 Nov 7, 2007
I know some very deep personal FACTS about TC. I am not an ex-drug user but know someone who has helped people to see the reality of God as opposed to the phoniness that is shown in this religious organization built on greed. He is on the inside and is watching what is going on. I know that it will be exposed to God's light and the fake pastors there will reap what they have sown with all their thievery and lies. It is an abomination to God that they dare USE His name. And yet on one hand there is some good that is coming out of this. The ones who see the truth and the disgusting antics of these so-called pastors are learning who God is in spite of them.
Trish

Bismarck, ND

#9 Dec 17, 2007
This article trashes Teen Challenge and insults the people that work there. Other only a few facts actually accompany the posting, otherwise, it is simply a forum to air his own personal issues.

Is the writer even aware of the fact that each Teen Challenge facility is independent? Does the writer realize that just because he believes that one facility is bad, that does not make the entire organization bad? Does the writer have any alternative PROVEN treatments to compare the statistics he quotes?

Teen Challenge is not a program for everyone. The staff is very upfront about that fact and makes no effort to hide that this is a Christian organization that preaches the gospel and attempts to provide an alternative to a life of addiction and crime.

The writer of this posting comes across as a very bitter individual and bashes the very people who were trying to help him.
angry citizen

Moorhead, MN

#10 Dec 25, 2007
Wow I can't believe that you can say all this about teen challenge. I do believe in their success rate. If people are there to change they can change, but they have to want it for themselves. Teen challenge can help you if you want to change your life but they can't make you change. It's really up to you if you do. My husband went to teen challenge because of his addiction to crystal meth. He used to make it, sell it, and use it. He went to teen challenge completed the program and he has been clean for 5 years. I thank god almost everyday for teen challenge, they saved my husbands life. I think that you are just angry about maybe something that has happened there, but seriously get over it, they are helping people no matter what you have to say about it.
some dude

Sioux Falls, SD

#11 Apr 3, 2008
teen challenge was not in Mandan 5 years ago. you sound like an employee/cult member, angry citizen.
p1r4i2c2e

Columbia, MO

#12 Oct 31, 2008
It better not be that horrible, or I will go up there myself and get Andrew out. <3
Mandie

United States

#13 Nov 6, 2008
Michael Kincheloe wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
I worked for Teen Challenge for quite awhile as an administative assistant and seen no such thing like this. I enjoyed my job and the people and environment I wored in. I beleive this is obsurd and offending.
Mandie

United States

#14 Nov 6, 2008
I worked for Teen Challenge in the Fall of 2007. I enjoyed my job very much and the people I worked with. I beleive it is a very good and healthy environmen to be in. I feel offended by this comment, because I have seen up close what teen challenge can do for people.
Mandie

United States

#15 Nov 6, 2008
I am just disgusted at this, it's ridiculous at what people will say when things don't go their way and they don't like what they hear. I loved working for North Dakota Teen Challenge. I beleive in the program and the people that work there
Ramos

Moscow, Russia

#17 May 13, 2010
It is funny how the author is putting the blame on the organization that he is not a part of... So, let me ask this.. What is it the author of this article doing himself to help with the problem of drugs and alcohol? Is there alternative program???? If so, please let us know the "better way"!
Do not believe in everything people say or write... Because any given "fact" is nothing but one-sided opinion!!!!!
Go and check it yourself if you really care.
ugh

Bismarck, ND

#18 Jul 7, 2010
I've known quite a few people who went to teen challenge and 'completed' .. What're they up to now, the exact same thing. One kid even went in for sexual assault on a girl while under the influence .. what's he doing, getting right back on what he was before, only it's gotten worse but he's learned easier ways to cover up his tracks. It's quite sickening. The success rate isn't as high in North Dakota as Mandie may assume. I wish these people I know would've gone somewhere worth while .. An old friend of mine who was no saint was given the option of jail or teen challenge after he had a sexual encounter with a minor of over 4 years younger, while under the influence of alcohol. He chose jail and probation which would leave him not allowed to drink or be caught around alcohol until after he turned 22. It's been about 4 years and he's 21 right now and quite thankful he chose to go to jail, the chance to think on his own, versus get God pushed onto his plate every morning, was his savior. I'm not here to say it doesn't work, but it works for those only who care about God. Apparently the people in North Dakota who are already saved and have seen the light are in church when they're supposed to be.
Shirley - Eureka CA

Santa Rosa, CA

#19 Aug 1, 2010
Michael Kincheloe wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
Interesting comment - who is this person and are his comments valid? Have they been researched? Does he have an axe to grind because of his choices in the program? Did he really want to change?
As in any organization that has to find the money to support it there will always be those who are in it for themselves - who abuse the system. But, for the most part, the leaders are selfless and truly desire to see success come to every participant. I have heard their testimonies (the leader's and the resident's) and it is inspiring.
There is a very active Men's and Women's Teen Challenge in Eureka and Trinidad, CA. I see them nearly every Saturday night at church services at Faith Center Foursquare Church - they take up nearly one side of the sanctuary. Some are new and probably don't quite know what to make of being in church but most enter into the worship and it is wonderful to see! What they are experiencing in their recovery home is real. For the most part these men and women have families-husbands,fathers,sons , brothers/wives,mothers,daughte rs/sisters - and they want to get better in order to get back to their families.
I saw a young man last night who is two days into recovery. He is a longtime friend of my son's and I have known him for years. He was heavy into the drug scene, selling and using. His life was truly spiraling down and my son broke off communication with him because of that - so I have not been in touch with him for a few years. He sought me out and I was overcome just to see him - I asked why he was with the group and he said that he needed to get his life together. With great sadness he said that he no longer had a wife. So HE saw the value of this organization! Truly a miracle of God.
The buildng, in Eureka, that Teen Challenge wanted to buy is still empty. It is now in an incredible state of disrepair and has caused this neighborhood to look even more run down - what a blight. Having those men there would have improved this neighborhood - they would have taken care of the property and, perhaps, encouraged neighbors to do the same. They are available to do supervised outside work and I will be contacting them soon to work on my property. Yes, they will charge but I will happily pay knowing that I will get good value for my money and that it goes to a good cause!
Kyle

Linton, ND

#21 May 30, 2012
Trish wrote:
This article trashes Teen Challenge and insults the people that work there. Other only a few facts actually accompany the posting, otherwise, it is simply a forum to air his own personal issues.
Is the writer even aware of the fact that each Teen Challenge facility is independent? Does the writer realize that just because he believes that one facility is bad, that does not make the entire organization bad? Does the writer have any alternative PROVEN treatments to compare the statistics he quotes?
Teen Challenge is not a program for everyone. The staff is very upfront about that fact and makes no effort to hide that this is a Christian organization that preaches the gospel and attempts to provide an alternative to a life of addiction and crime.
The writer of this posting comes across as a very bitter individual and bashes the very people who were trying to help him.
Well Miss Dickinson, Are you naive or what? Being from Dickinson, I probably know you and you probably know quite a few individuals there that have gone to TC! O yeah, including myself, n i went voluntarily. Other then forming a relationship with God there, it was the biggest waste of time in my life! I spent more days in the kidco factory working 8hrs a day sometimes 3 times a week. Thank God I had money going in too. Those that did come in with nothing, were left with pretty much nothing including hygiene products. Clothing wise-you might as well have gone around in your skivvies because there were no clothes there for you. With all this money TC makes with us going around every weekend performing like dancing penguins and helping in the community and working at kidco and being forced to donate our time to other areas without having a choice; you would think that they might be able to afford to supply the students with better supplies than which they have on skid-row. Now lets go back here for a sec, now tell me how all those people you know are doing? Because I can guarantee you they are either in prison, are going to prison, or are dead...and I can verify that because more than 75% the people I was in there with are either in prison, going to prison, or are dead.

You want to talk about a Christian facility, how "Christian-like" is it to kick a person out on the streets in the middle of winter on a Sunday morning with nothing but a back pack of clothes and no money beings the student accounts cannot be accessed on the weekend. Then when he comes back to pick up his stuff half of it has been stolen or lost. Yeah that's the great almighty TEEN CHALLENGE OF NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!!!!!! I bet that makes you so proud to know of that?!?!? And my favorite was why our program director wasn't coming to work every day, found out why when I saw her walking out of the liquor store with a bottle and later to come find out that she was in TC because she is a binge drinker. The bad thing is the one good staff member that was there, got so fed up with the crap there he decided to quit because it was....ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!! For the time we spend at TC for a whole 365 days, with 24 hours in a day we spent 1 HOUR in class!!!! Thank God I was fortunate enough that I had another individual help me with Bible studies outside of the class, otherwise I wouldn't have come to know God the way I thought I was going to, because Teen Challenge has an obscure vision of how God wants his people to be helped. They only want to help themselves to your pocket book and that's it. 1500$ A MONTH IS WHAT IT COST TO BE INVOLVED THERE!

Finally every single thing that comes into Teen Challenge is donated, from food to furniture and everything in between. Food being outdated, sanitary items broken open, and furniture that my dog wouldn't even sleep on. Now honestly I got a pretty good idea how much money we would make each weekend and we got paid 8-10$ an hour per student at kidco (that went to TC) and all the money donated, can you tell me that it's not about the money?!?!?!?
Steve McMullen

Wichita, KS

#22 Jul 2, 2012
Debb? Was that you with that bottle? Ha! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Miss Dickinson, Are you naive or what? Being from Dickinson, I probably know you and you probably know quite a few individuals there that have gone to TC! O yeah, including myself, n i went voluntarily. Other then forming a relationship with God there, it was the biggest waste of time in my life! I spent more days in the kidco factory working 8hrs a day sometimes 3 times a week. Thank God I had money going in too. Those that did come in with nothing, were left with pretty much nothing including hygiene products. Clothing wise-you might as well have gone around in your skivvies because there were no clothes there for you. With all this money TC makes with us going around every weekend performing like dancing penguins and helping in the community and working at kidco and being forced to donate our time to other areas without having a choice; you would think that they might be able to afford to supply the students with better supplies than which they have on skid-row. Now lets go back here for a sec, now tell me how all those people you know are doing? Because I can guarantee you they are either in prison, are going to prison, or are dead...and I can verify that because more than 75% the people I was in there with are either in prison, going to prison, or are dead.
You want to talk about a Christian facility, how "Christian-like" is it to kick a person out on the streets in the middle of winter on a Sunday morning with nothing but a back pack of clothes and no money beings the student accounts cannot be accessed on the weekend. Then when he comes back to pick up his stuff half of it has been stolen or lost. Yeah that's the great almighty TEEN CHALLENGE OF NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!!!!!! I bet that makes you so proud to know of that?!?!? And my favorite was why our program director wasn't coming to work every day, found out why when I saw her walking out of the liquor store with a bottle and later to come find out that she was in TC because she is a binge drinker. The bad thing is the one good staff member that was there, got so fed up with the crap there he decided to quit because it was....ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!! For the time we spend at TC for a whole 365 days, with 24 hours in a day we spent 1 HOUR in class!!!! Thank God I was fortunate enough that I had another individual help me with Bible studies outside of the class, otherwise I wouldn't have come to know God the way I thought I was going to, because Teen Challenge has an obscure vision of how God wants his people to be helped. They only want to help themselves to your pocket book and that's it. 1500$ A MONTH IS WHAT IT COST TO BE INVOLVED THERE!
Finally every single thing that comes into Teen Challenge is donated, from food to furniture and everything in between. Food being outdated, sanitary items broken open, and furniture that my dog wouldn't even sleep on. Now honestly I got a pretty good idea how much money we would make each weekend and we got paid 8-10$ an hour per student at kidco (that went to TC) and all the money donated, can you tell me that it's not about the money?!?!?!?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chancellor on Sioux Name (Sep '10) Aug 22 Sangelia 6
North Dakota gets first NAACP chapter (May '09) Aug 21 Ejem 93
Crazy Horse/The Great Spirit Gave Him A Shield Aug 10 Loyd Burleson 1
FaceTime Aug 5 Becky 1
Transit survey: enter to win a $50 Amazon prize... (May '11) Jul '14 Eric-W-Koci 4
sports Jul '14 sports fan 1
Molly Bish and Maura Murray (Aug '11) Jun '14 HollandWindmills 22
•••
•••
•••

Bismarck Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bismarck People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Bismarck News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bismarck
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••