N.D. prison system set to allow e-mai...

N.D. prison system set to allow e-mail for convicts

There are 23 comments on the Bismarck Tribune story from Aug 18, 2008, titled N.D. prison system set to allow e-mail for convicts. In it, Bismarck Tribune reports that:

North Dakota's corrections department is setting up an electronic mail system for inmates this fall, to provide what officials hope will be a cheaper and less troublesome option for keeping in touch.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bismarck Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anon

United States

#1 Aug 21, 2008
Thats the scariest thing I've heard for awhile.
Gayle

Bismarck, ND

#2 Aug 22, 2008
Pisses me off! I only got a computer 2 years ago! I worked hard for it and did it all legally! Why are these felons getting more and more rights? An idea...perhaps they should only get this right and all others for extremely good behavior? Except, of course, for all men's "basic rights".

“Non-whining conservative woman”

Since: Jul 08

Midwest Town

#3 Aug 23, 2008
Is this for real? Are convicted felons living better than the rest of us now? Bring back the chain gangs!
Lorie

Kansas City, MO

#4 Aug 25, 2008
TiredoftheCrapinAmerica wrote:
Is this for real? Are convicted felons living better than the rest of us now? Bring back the chain gangs!
Of course they're living better. Just ask Jim "The government owes me a trailer" Emo.
Melody

Dickinson, ND

#5 Sep 25, 2008
I personally find it a great asset, not only does this give opportunity to the families to come together more, it also gives convicts an education that could possibly be something that could keep them interested in a lifetime career of computer applications, web design, technical support, and the list goes on. I feel that this is a big step in the penile institution's concern for the future. I understand that several people seem to think that the prisoners' are living better then they do, I don't see how. This is a prime example of cause and effect, if you take one prisoner and put him in a room with a computer where they are allowed to speak to family members, friends, and supporters, the prisoner will feel much more capable of showing love, receiving love, and finding some peace of mind when the lights go out. And you take another prisoner and give him a 15 minute view of his little boy or her little girl as tears run down the cheeks of both parties, the child leaves empty and feeling unloved and the prisoner will go back to the cell with loneliness and aggressive behaviors that follow and pattern of constant depression. I feel it is up to the rest of us to overcome and adapt to the FACT the eventually, THOSE convicts will once again, be a citizen as ourselves and I see no reason WHY they shouldn't have MORE than just email access so they may keep up with the world wide web and all it's worldly knowledge. I don't feel that ANY convict has more or is taken better care of, than we as US citizens, I also do not believe that a computer is considered a luxury but a necessity, rather, even a commonality, they are not an expensive item that any BELOW POVERTY rated family can not have, they are not a financial challenge for ANYONE. I am a firm believer that if you did the crime, serve the time, but I don't believe that ANY of us, no matter WHERE society rates us, we all have a second chance and what better way to START a convicts then to give him on of the most useful tools in SOCIETY today? However little access to the internet they will be granted, sanity is a plus, education is a must, I say WAY TO GO, I believe that a convict who has been given ANY kind of opportunity, will have a much less chance of relapsing after being released to society. GOOD FOR YOU CONS!!
Tiara north dakota

West Fargo, ND

#6 Sep 26, 2008
I think it's a great idea

“Non-whining conservative woman”

Since: Jul 08

Midwest Town

#7 Sep 30, 2008
Melody wrote:
I personally find it a great asset, not only does this give opportunity to the families to come together more, it also gives convicts an education that could possibly be something that could keep them interested in a lifetime career of computer applications, web design, technical support, and the list goes on. I feel that this is a big step in the penile institution's concern for the future. I understand that several people seem to think that the prisoners' are living better then they do, I don't see how. This is a prime example of cause and effect, if you take one prisoner and put him in a room with a computer where they are allowed to speak to family members, friends, and supporters, the prisoner will feel much more capable of showing love, receiving love, and finding some peace of mind when the lights go out. And you take another prisoner and give him a 15 minute view of his little boy or her little girl as tears run down the cheeks of both parties, the child leaves empty and feeling unloved and the prisoner will go back to the cell with loneliness and aggressive behaviors that follow and pattern of constant depression. I feel it is up to the rest of us to overcome and adapt to the FACT the eventually, THOSE convicts will once again, be a citizen as ourselves and I see no reason WHY they shouldn't have MORE than just email access so they may keep up with the world wide web and all it's worldly knowledge. I don't feel that ANY convict has more or is taken better care of, than we as US citizens, I also do not believe that a computer is considered a luxury but a necessity, rather, even a commonality, they are not an expensive item that any BELOW POVERTY rated family can not have, they are not a financial challenge for ANYONE. I am a firm believer that if you did the crime, serve the time, but I don't believe that ANY of us, no matter WHERE society rates us, we all have a second chance and what better way to START a convicts then to give him on of the most useful tools in SOCIETY today? However little access to the internet they will be granted, sanity is a plus, education is a must, I say WAY TO GO, I believe that a convict who has been given ANY kind of opportunity, will have a much less chance of relapsing after being released to society. GOOD FOR YOU CONS!!
Are you for real?????

“Non-whining conservative woman”

Since: Jul 08

Midwest Town

#8 Sep 30, 2008
Let's give full internet access to the child molesters and rapists too!!!! Yeah!!! Then we can all feel the love!(Yeah, I'm rolling my eyes and being totally sarcastic here). Are you people sniffing paint fumes or just plain stupid?
your name here

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 Oct 6, 2008
Who was the moron that thunk this one up Bubba?
TRae

Erie, CO

#10 Oct 6, 2008
I think it's great if done with regulations. Some of us have family in there sadly. So for us it will help but I do NOT think sex offenders or computer felons should have access to them either.
your name here

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Oct 9, 2008
what ever happened t making little rocks out of big rocks?
luvable

Bismarck, ND

#12 Dec 16, 2008
umm... they are in there for a reason...why do they need contact with the outside world?? to set up deals and keep the drug industry booming, oh yeah I forget. real smrt... let's just stop arresting people then. why send them away then give them the tools to keep in contact with whom they please.
Ronald Hrncir

Littleton, CO

#13 May 11, 2009
Melody wrote:
I personally find it a great asset, not only does this give opportunity to the families to come together more, it also gives convicts an education that could possibly be something that could keep them interested in a lifetime career of computer applications, web design, technical support, and the list goes on. I feel that this is a big step in the penile institution's concern for the future. I understand that several people seem to think that the prisoners' are living better then they do, I don't see how. This is a prime example of cause and effect, if you take one prisoner and put him in a room with a computer where they are allowed to speak to family members, friends, and supporters, the prisoner will feel much more capable of showing love, receiving love, and finding some peace of mind when the lights go out. And you take another prisoner and give him a 15 minute view of his little boy or her little girl as tears run down the cheeks of both parties, the child leaves empty and feeling unloved and the prisoner will go back to the cell with loneliness and aggressive behaviors that follow and pattern of constant depression. I feel it is up to the rest of us to overcome and adapt to the FACT the eventually, THOSE convicts will once again, be a citizen as ourselves and I see no reason WHY they shouldn't have MORE than just email access so they may keep up with the world wide web and all it's worldly knowledge. I don't feel that ANY convict has more or is taken better care of, than we as US citizens, I also do not believe that a computer is considered a luxury but a necessity, rather, even a commonality, they are not an expensive item that any BELOW POVERTY rated family can not have, they are not a financial challenge for ANYONE. I am a firm believer that if you did the crime, serve the time, but I don't believe that ANY of us, no matter WHERE society rates us, we all have a second chance and what better way to START a convicts then to give him on of the most useful tools in SOCIETY today? However little access to the internet they will be granted, sanity is a plus, education is a must, I say WAY TO GO, I believe that a convict who has been given ANY kind of opportunity, will have a much less chance of relapsing after being released to society. GOOD FOR YOU CONS!!
5/11/2009 When he tells a lie,he speaks from his own nature,because he is a liar and the father of liars John 8:44 Picture the captivity of your thought life like a prison cell wallpapered in lies. Demolition of strongholds really begins when we expose and tear down the lies that fuel them in the first place.We cannot repeat this fact enough:deception is the glue that holds strongholds together. By the time a stronghold exists,our minds are covered in lies. Where do these lies originate?According to Jesus'words in John 8:43-45,Satan himself is the "father "of lies. But he uses them only because he is a totally defeated foe.Lies is all he has. Thats why he has to be so adept at using them.
lydiaolydia

Mandan, ND

#14 May 22, 2009
Melody wrote:
I personally find it a great asset, not only does this give opportunity to the families to come together more, it also gives convicts an education that could possibly be something that could keep them interested in a lifetime career of computer applications, web design, technical support, and the list goes on. I feel that this is a big step in the penile institution's concern for the future. I understand that several people seem to think that the prisoners' are living better then they do, I don't see how. This is a prime example of cause and effect, if you take one prisoner and put him in a room with a computer where they are allowed to speak to family members, friends, and supporters, the prisoner will feel much more capable of showing love, receiving love, and finding some peace of mind when the lights go out. And you take another prisoner and give him a 15 minute view of his little boy or her little girl as tears run down the cheeks of both parties, the child leaves empty and feeling unloved and the prisoner will go back to the cell with loneliness and aggressive behaviors that follow and pattern of constant depression. I feel it is up to the rest of us to overcome and adapt to the FACT the eventually, THOSE convicts will once again, be a citizen as ourselves and I see no reason WHY they shouldn't have MORE than just email access so they may keep up with the world wide web and all it's worldly knowledge. I don't feel that ANY convict has more or is taken better care of, than we as US citizens, I also do not believe that a computer is considered a luxury but a necessity, rather, even a commonality, they are not an expensive item that any BELOW POVERTY rated family can not have, they are not a financial challenge for ANYONE. I am a firm believer that if you did the crime, serve the time, but I don't believe that ANY of us, no matter WHERE society rates us, we all have a second chance and what better way to START a convicts then to give him on of the most useful tools in SOCIETY today? However little access to the internet they will be granted, sanity is a plus, education is a must, I say WAY TO GO, I believe that a convict who has been given ANY kind of opportunity, will have a much less chance of relapsing after being released to society. GOOD FOR YOU CONS!!
Looks like you have a strong opinion on this topic. Personally, I disagree with convicts being allowed to receive anything other than basic food, shelter and clothing. Period. The right to pursue happiness is what is guaranteed for those that abide by the laws of the land they reside on. When one chooses to break the laws of the land, one loses their right to pursue happiness,education and reformation until their sentence is over. When our prison systems stopped requiring inmates to plow the fields, plant the seed, reap the crop they planted in order to eat; inmates began needing entertainment/reward systems/contact with the outside world. To continue to entertain the notion that inmates should have the same rights as the outside world does, keeps our tax paying dollars working harder for those that chose to break our laws, than those that live by our laws. Prison should be a place that when one leaves they desire never to return. It should not be a place that is allowing emails to 'help them feel connected'.
HELP

Glendale, CA

#15 May 22, 2009
wat r u for reals..
Terry

Papillion, NE

#16 Oct 26, 2009
Ronald Hrncir wrote:
<quoted text> 5/11/2009 When he tells a lie,he speaks from his own nature,because he is a liar and the father of liars John 8:44 Picture the captivity of your thought life like a prison cell wallpapered in lies. Demolition of strongholds really begins when we expose and tear down the lies that fuel them in the first place.We cannot repeat this fact enough:deception is the glue that holds strongholds together. By the time a stronghold exists,our minds are covered in lies. Where do these lies originate?According to Jesus'words in John 8:43-45,Satan himself is the "father "of lies. But he uses them only because he is a totally defeated foe.Lies is all he has. Thats why he has to be so adept at using them.
Ronald, the proctologist called. He found your head. He said you might want to start using lock washers with those bolts.
Ronald

Aurora, CO

#17 Dec 1, 2009
Terry wrote:
<quoted text>Ronald, the proctologist called. He found your head. He said you might want to start using lock washers with those bolts.
Terry ROFLMAO.Fuck off shoot me.Coward.
Ronald

Aurora, CO

#18 Dec 1, 2009
HELP wrote:
wat r u for reals..
Just hang um high,or we could publicly Crucify them all.That would be a good sport,instead of football. Yah..........4070
Ronald

Aurora, CO

#19 Dec 1, 2009
Gayle wrote:
Pisses me off! I only got a computer 2 years ago! I worked hard for it and did it all legally! Why are these felons getting more and more rights? An idea...perhaps they should only get this right and all others for extremely good behavior? Except, of course, for all men's "basic rights".
There is a thing called our constitution.And Our Bill of Rights.Now Judges have thrown all of our Laws rights out and Legislate new Laws from the bench.So wrong.Being blind is one thing,evil is so wrong.
Truth For all

Aurora, CO

#20 Dec 2, 2009
lydiaolydia wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you have a strong opinion on this topic. Personally, I disagree with convicts being allowed to receive anything other than basic food, shelter and clothing. Period. The right to pursue happiness is what is guaranteed for those that abide by the laws of the land they reside on. When one chooses to break the laws of the land, one loses their right to pursue happiness,education and reformation until their sentence is over. When our prison systems stopped requiring inmates to plow the fields, plant the seed, reap the crop they planted in order to eat; inmates began needing entertainment/reward systems/contact with the outside world. To continue to entertain the notion that inmates should have the same rights as the outside world does, keeps our tax paying dollars working harder for those that chose to break our laws, than those that live by our laws. Prison should be a place that when one leaves they desire never to return. It should not be a place that is allowing emails to 'help them feel connected'.
What if some are innocent,like did not break a Law.It happens.Cant believe all you hear and read.Then the doors swing open for the real criminals.No DUH.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What does Trump mean for America? Oct 15 He is senile 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Dako... (Oct '10) Oct 4 Julia 26
News Pop-up Pathway connects downtown Bismarck to Mi... Sep 25 Randy karstetter 1
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Aug '17 ConcernedMom 36
FaceTime (Aug '14) Jun '17 Silver toung 2
News News 22 Mins Ago Senator: Army Corp told to app... (Jan '17) Mar '17 Buried Valor 28
News Appeals court refuses to stop oil in Dakota Acc... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Native ... 6

Bismarck Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bismarck Mortgages