Members of North Dakota Sioux tribes urge keeping nickname

Full story: TwinCities.com

Supporters of a bill that requires the University of North Dakota to keep its Fighting Sioux nickname say most members of North Dakota's Sioux tribes take pride in the name.
Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dale

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Wonder how the " Wimpie Sioux " logo would go over...
Smartass

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Ok let me think, North and South Dakota sort of got the Dakota name because way back in 1849, the eastern part of the Dakotas were in Dakota County, Minnesota. That changed.
As for Sioux name , gosh I don't know that part. Now for the fighting part, just change that to " Drinking"....
Sandbagging 101

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Change title of the land the arena they play on to tribal land and then let the phocking idiot liberals figure out how to make the change.
Marx Karl Dayton

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

White do-gooders also came down on new tough looking Goldy back in the early 80s. They felt that Goldy should be a friendly character, so they changed his demeaner to Mr. Happy. They haven't had a lot of sports success, but the 2 years old and under crowd seems to like Happy Goldy...
GENO

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Fact is that there aren't any full blooded Native Americans anymore. Most might be three quarter native,most at best are half or less. There are a lot of people who just have a trace of native blood,like myself. I will never understand people who claim something they are really not. I say time for DNA as the determining fact and then what then are the determination as to who is Native American. Then and only then can people make decisions as to what is offensive to their heritage.
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

I'm Norwegian, and I get madder than hell every time that gay prick painted in purple and gold flexes his steroided 'pecs' during a a Queens game to his butt buddies. Just saying... Oh boy, if this post doesn't get me in trouble nothing will lol...

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

the real just another day wrote:
I'm Norwegian, and I get madder than hell every time that gay **** painted in purple and gold flexes his steroided 'pecs' during a a Queens game to his butt buddies. Just saying... Oh boy, if this post doesn't get me in trouble nothing will lol...
Are you saying you are jealous of him? Yeah, I guess you are.
hdog

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

The Sioux are cool, which is why their name was used in the first place, and this proves it. I so agree with IrishMN and the rest...just shows what a bunch of completely ignorant, candy-asses the while liberals really are.
hdog

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

white, not while
hdog

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

jrichards wrote:
America, are you paying attention to this?
Exactly. But, probably not, sadly. As someone said above, the white leftie knows what's best for everyone.
Rich U

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Remember the Johnny Horton song @ 1959 The Ballad of Jim Bridger. Jim Bridger said to Custer Listen Yellow Hair, the Sioux have a great nation so treat em fair and square. Custer didn't listen, at Little Big Horn Custer died. Is that racist?? Not anymore than The Fighting Sioux. It is honoring the great Sioux nation - give a break and get a life.
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying you are jealous of him? Yeah, I guess you are.
Actually, no. I'd cut my junk off with a rusty spoon before I'd make a complete idiot of myself like he does on TV...
crowbait

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Cavy Slave wrote:
<quoted text>
Because "Dakota" is only one of the subcultural groups of Sioux who speak dialects of a similar language. There are the Santee or Eastern Dakota, Yankton or Western Dakota, and Teton or Lakota. I can also give you the Sioux names for themselves, if you wish. Or you can look it up yourself. Self-education is just as important as any degree or diploma.
Wouldn't it be nice if people just took the time to learn about their neighbors instead of disparaging them for being different and wanting the same respect we have for people who are the same as we?
Well said kota.
Dont touch my nuggets

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2011

Judged:

sandi wrote:
It seems odd that the name fighting sioux is offensive and must be changed but the Redskins of the NFL, in our Nations captial no less, do not think it necessary to change their name. It seems to this whiteboy that the name redskins would be the most offensive of all. perhaps i am wrong.
They should change the Redskins logo to a red potato. Problem solved!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bismarck Discussions

Search the Bismarck Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Transit survey: enter to win a $50 Amazon prize... (May '11) Jul 14 Eric-W-Koci 4
sports Jul 1 sports fan 1
Molly Bish and Maura Murray (Aug '11) Jun '14 HollandWindmills 22
Lawsuit challenges North Dakota gay marriage ban Jun '14 Abrahamanic Religions 6
Jesus Camp Jun '14 Billy 2
Police warns of texas asphalt paving gypsy's in... May '14 Paving scammers 1
Debate: Marijuana - Bismarck, ND (Aug '10) Apr '14 Brian 11
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bismarck Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••