Members of North Dakota Sioux tribes urge keeping nickname

There are 20 comments on the Mar 7, 2011, TwinCities.com story titled Members of North Dakota Sioux tribes urge keeping nickname. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Supporters of a bill that requires the University of North Dakota to keep its Fighting Sioux nickname say most members of North Dakota's Sioux tribes take pride in the name.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Linear Thinker

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 7, 2011
Sorry Standing Rock, the white liberal has decided what is best for you and your input is not of interest.
Rich U

Austin, TX

#2 Mar 7, 2011
Yeah, think like Custer - "hostile and offensive". The Sioux are/were a great nation - think "brave, warriors. Keep the logo and dump the yellow hair thinkers.
Maggie Thatcher

Aurora, CO

#3 Mar 7, 2011
"Political Correctness" run amok.
MNFATZ

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2011
Change the name to the, "Fighting Custers".
jrichards

Amery, WI

#5 Mar 7, 2011
America, are you paying attention to this?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Mar 7, 2011
This is typical of so many fights over issues that pertain to minorities.

It is the freakin' do-gooder type white folk that are battling back and forth. The college's Senate Education Committee is primarily white. The NCAA is a bunch of white do-gooders that want to share their feeling of guilt.

The do-gooder types really need to find something worth fighting about.
Ron Langevin

Dade City, FL

#7 Mar 7, 2011
The "fighting Sioux" are a great Hockey team and the name helped get them there. This started for the main part (At UND) becauswe a couple operatives, native americans chasing a liar degree (Sorry, a law degree) felt "offended". Shoulde have had their fat .sses kicked back to the reservation. Perhaps the football team and the basketball team benefit also from the nichname but the hockey team is it. They should keep both the name and the logo.
NoSht

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 7, 2011
Shouldn't they be called the "North Dakota Dakota tribes"? How dare news organizations spew out such hateful speach by calling them the North Dakota S-word?
gods must be crazy

Carle Place, NY

#9 Mar 7, 2011
I bet this northern plains dilemma is causing angst amongst the New Age cultists and life coaches in their air conditioned sweat lodges.
Cavy Slave

Milwaukee, WI

#10 Mar 7, 2011
NoSht wrote:
Shouldn't they be called the "North Dakota Dakota tribes"? How dare news organizations spew out such hateful speach by calling them the North Dakota S-word?
Because "Dakota" is only one of the subcultural groups of Sioux who speak dialects of a similar language. There are the Santee or Eastern Dakota, Yankton or Western Dakota, and Teton or Lakota. I can also give you the Sioux names for themselves, if you wish. Or you can look it up yourself. Self-education is just as important as any degree or diploma.

Wouldn't it be nice if people just took the time to learn about their neighbors instead of disparaging them for being different and wanting the same respect we have for people who are the same as we?
LAUGHINGALLTHEWA Y

Chokio, MN

#11 Mar 7, 2011
These blanket buts are the same warriers that want the name "not used".
Sioux Yellow Hair

Tower, MN

#12 Mar 7, 2011
How bout the yellow haired Sioux. I am part Sioux and am not offended. I had no choice in my heritage but am proud to be part Sioux. I hold my MBA so have had some education, thanks to this great nation of equal opportunity and for those that are ambitious enough to educate them selves and increase their intelligence. Why should we change the name and logo? Because some bleeding heart liberal thinker wants it changed or the Sioux nation wants it changed? Believe me its the prior reason.
RIOT

Madison, WI

#13 Mar 7, 2011
The tribe that had issues with the name is from Florida. The Sioux were asked and voted to keep the name, no one had any offense to it.
The problem came from a tribe out of state who have nothing to do with the great state of North Dakota. Instead the other schools get their shorts in a bind and basically force UND to look at changing the name. Enough of the PC atmosphere, when the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame change their name the Sioux of UND should change theirs.
Why is racial bias only against everyone else but the whites?
Nostradumass

Maple Plain, MN

#14 Mar 7, 2011
I am offended when I drive through Sioux Falls and Sioux City.
at nostradamus

San Francisco, CA

#15 Mar 7, 2011
You had better not be driving thru Sioux Falls in a Pontiac.
Dont touch my nuggets

Cottage Grove, MN

#16 Mar 7, 2011
Since they gave up the entire nation I'm willing to go with whatever the Indians want on this one.
Linear Thinker

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Mar 7, 2011
Cavy Slave wrote:
<quoted text>
Because "Dakota" is only one of the subcultural groups of Sioux who speak dialects of a similar language. There are the Santee or Eastern Dakota, Yankton or Western Dakota, and Teton or Lakota. I can also give you the Sioux names for themselves, if you wish. Or you can look it up yourself. Self-education is just as important as any degree or diploma.
Wouldn't it be nice if people just took the time to learn about their neighbors instead of disparaging them for being different and wanting the same respect we have for people who are the same as we?

Aside from preaching and hair-splitting, what was your point?
twell

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Mar 7, 2011
The only thing hostile and offensive about UND is there style of play.....A bunch of GOONS! Of course....they follow their leader in that respect.
sandi

San Diego, CA

#19 Mar 7, 2011
It seems odd that the name fighting sioux is offensive and must be changed but the Redskins of the NFL, in our Nations captial no less, do not think it necessary to change their name. It seems to this whiteboy that the name redskins would be the most offensive of all. perhaps i am wrong.
Zbierski

Girard, OH

#20 Mar 7, 2011
Didn't Ralph Engelstad build that hockey arena up there under the condition that the nickname and logo must be kept? And if they changed it use of the hockey arena would be revoked? I thought that was the situation. Could be wrong....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Editorial: Britt McHenry Should Be Fired Apr 17 workinman 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Dako... (Oct '10) Mar '15 Nidoe 25
In Flames Comes to Bismarck to Heat Up a Violen... Feb '15 Culture Auditor 1
News Bountiful Baskets offers wide variety of qualit... Feb '15 Marlene Thompson 1
The spectacular sport of DOGFIGHTING (Nov '07) Dec '14 Effu 3
Review: Maas Euro Worx Dec '14 CWARD 1
News Escaped Inmates Caught in Dickinson (Oct '14) Dec '14 Love-hurts31 10
More from around the web

Bismarck People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]