North Dakota House taking up Fighting...

North Dakota House taking up Fighting Sioux nickname bills

There are 59 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 21, 2011, titled North Dakota House taking up Fighting Sioux nickname bills. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

North Dakota lawmakers face a decision Monday on whether the University of North Dakota should keep its Fighting Sioux athletics nickname.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Freedom

Hopkins, MN

#41 Feb 21, 2011
Pale Skin wrote:
If no one should be offended then why not re-name them the "Pasty White Men"? Why? Cause white men aren't warriors...

Then how come they, um, won the wars? Anyway there is a team called the vikings named after white warriors. Your racism really makes you an easy target here--almost too easy--almost...
Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#42 Feb 21, 2011
From a true-blooded Minnesota Gopher fan, I say to the ND House "hats off to thee." What's really hostile and abusive in this entire controversy is the NCAA's involvement in the issue in the first place, and the decision by North Dakota's Board of Higher Education to discard the nickname and logo in the second place. Says Rep. Phillip Mueller, D-Valley City, "We will have decided that after five years of work on the part of the University of North Dakota's faculty, their staff, their students ...the higher education board and the attorney general, to name some — they're all wrong. They didn't get it." You're right Mueller, they didn't get the fact that the majority of people in the state of North Dakota, including Fighting Sioux students and the Spirit Lake Sioux, never wanted the name change or logo dropped in the first place. It's your own dang fault for battling five years for something only a small minority of white elitist liberals and equally small minority of Native Americans wanted in the first place.
Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#43 Feb 21, 2011
Gopher fan wrote:
@Matt - there are three tribes in North Dakota that have been given the power by the NCAA to approve or reject the Sioux nickname.(which is interesting in and of itself, because the "Sioux" people call themselves "Dakota", not Sioux) One voted in favor, the other two refuse to hold a vote. Opinion polls show keeping the nickname would be approved easily, but the tribal leaders refuse to call a vote.
You know what's funny about this is, the notion of the NCAA having the power to tell Ntive American tribes what they can or cannot do. It's high time the NCAA was dissolved and replaced with a non-corrupt entity that properly governs intercollegiate athletics.
jrichards

Amery, WI

#44 Feb 21, 2011
I seem to remember a story about one of the University's Alumni who threatened to have his name removed from one of the buildings on campus, after having given a generous endowment, if this name change thing went through. Can the NCAA prove that a majority exists that truly believes the nickname and logo is offensive, or is it just beating everybody up with its authority?

Last I heard, a poll of a large percentage of the Native Americans in the country didn't have a problem with the team name and logo thing, by any team. In fact, they felt honored by it all. So who is really behind this ridiculous political correctness b.s.?
Pale Skin

Le Sueur, MN

#45 Feb 21, 2011
Bill Majors wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you are a white man. As a person with Dakota blood I am not offended in the least. While some other logos and mascots might be held in different regards the fighting Sioux is a strong tribute to the warrior. You understanding of history is a little off also. Our lands were never aborbed. The truth the lands were acquired in many different ways - some through violence and some through purchase(the question of fair purchase can be debated).
You gotta be kidding me!? Right? I suppose in Dances With Wolves you were with the Calvary men who shot Cosner's trusty horse and whacked him upside the head. Those proud Dakota would be just so thrilled to have the whiteman honor them so by using their name for a hockey game. Also the drunk jock fans hooping and hollering. I suppose you support the tomaha chop baloney as well. And let me get this straight you're a true native American? Huh? Again, you gotta be kidding me. Nice try.
jrichards

Amery, WI

#46 Feb 21, 2011
As a post script, I offer this little tidbit: remember a few years back when a member of this same State's Government tried to get legislation passed that would have dropped the "North" from the state's name, because he(or she) felt it gave the rest of the country the wrong impression about the climate there? Some people just don't get it.

“Great place to live”

Since: Jan 09

Grand Rapids, MN

#47 Feb 21, 2011
The mistake was wasting 5 years of time and money in academia. Admin costs at major universites are growing much faster than inflation. It is easy to see why.

United States of America

#48 Feb 21, 2011
Mr Bailey wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...let's honor the people we tried to erase from the face of the Earth!
Yeah, I was at the battle of the Little Bighorn, but those damn Indians were asking for it.
tomf

Sacramento, CA

#49 Feb 21, 2011
Let us have more Political correct Idiots !! where is that Jesse(Jackson) guy ? & that SHARP- less guy (AL)?? Get that other Kenya guy on board!! GO FIGHTING SIOUX !!!!
Walking Eagle

Saint Paul, MN

#50 Feb 21, 2011
If we eliminate the Fighting Sioux, what's next? Should we remove any reference to American Indians, Litanos, Blacks? Where will it end? If this were an insulting depiction I could understand it. Will we blow up the Crazy Horse Monument? We're at a point of national fiscal insolvency and we'requibbling over foolishness. I wonder what will happen when out principal bond holder, umm China takes over. I wonder how they feel about our diversity? I wonder if they'll commit to diversity, Affirmative Action, land grants, set asides? Nope!
slayer

Escanaba, MI

#51 Feb 21, 2011
Pale Skin wrote:
If no one should be offended then why not re-name them the "Pasty White Men"? Why? Cause white men aren't warriors. I think the tribes should be paid a leasing fee, yearly. That since their land was absorbed by the settlers and without compensation at the time.
Oh, UND at Grand Forks is a nationally respected educational institution. Why insist on tying this stupid issue of demanding that the Native American name be permanantly affixed, forever, to a hockey team. A sign of advanced intelligence or backward thinking. We'll see in the next week how everything plays out.
actually, the sioux were paid about 50 cents an acre in the 1890's, and with accumulative interest, is still sitting in an untouched bank account somewhere, because, these same sioux nations refusing to vote on this matter, refuse to accept these monies in protest of the way their ancestrial lands were annexed by the u.s. government, much in the same way crazy horse refused to go to washington to meet with the president at the time of his status as a war chief within his tribe.

but the way these tribes are handling this issue has nothing to do with a demeaning nickname their oppressors have given their favorite state institution of higher learning, and everything to do with their centuries old traditions as well as the way a siuox people treat others as they would be treated, and without a positive response would rather avoid the negative situations of another nation/people all together, like i said, deep rooted traditions drive the moral obligations of these sioux nations and their peoples.
Rusty

Bemidji, MN

#52 Feb 22, 2011
jrichards wrote:
I seem to remember a story about one of the University's Alumni who threatened to have his name removed from one of the buildings on campus, after having given a generous endowment, if this name change thing went through. Can the NCAA prove that a majority exists that truly believes the nickname and logo is offensive, or is it just beating everybody up with its authority?
Last I heard, a poll of a large percentage of the Native Americans in the country didn't have a problem with the team name and logo thing, by any team. In fact, they felt honored by it all. So who is really behind this ridiculous political correctness b.s.?
Oh he went beyond that. It was Ralph Englestad. The man spent $100 million to build the hockey teams arena, and when the controvercy started when it was being built he threatened to pull funding. After it was built, he placed the building under the ownership of his family's estate and rented it to the college under the stipulation that changing the name or logo would immediately void the contract and the building would be demolished. He died in 2002, but the building is still under his family's ownership.
Pale Skin

Le Sueur, MN

#53 Feb 22, 2011
And there's been reports that Ralph Englestad was bigot thus why if they changed the name the $100 million dollar arena would be destroyed. Add to that, if the arena were to be destroyed, out of spite, UND GF would take a hit as one of the strangest colleges around. It is now one of the top colleges in the country for aviation. I think that's why wiser heads wanted to finally put this name issue behind them, to focus on education and get away from the controversy surrounding sports.

Guess that won't happen anytime soon. Sports, as happens in so many academic institutions, comes out the top dog. The universities are the foundations for the sports programs. Go figure!?
Gene Pool

Wichita, KS

#54 Feb 22, 2011
As long as the NCAA still allows the Florida State Seminoles to retain their name the Souix name should remain as well. Very hypocritical of them to allow the Seminoles to keep the name as long as they have approval from the tribes. If one name is deemed racist then they all should be. They can't ride both sides of this issue. Oh wait, yes they can. They're the NCAA

United States of America

#55 Feb 22, 2011
Gene Pool wrote:
As long as the NCAA still allows the Florida State Seminoles to retain their name the Souix name should remain as well. Very hypocritical of them to allow the Seminoles to keep the name as long as they have approval from the tribes. If one name is deemed racist then they all should be. They can't ride both sides of this issue. Oh wait, yes they can. They're the NCAA
How about at our capitol, the Washington Redskins?
slayer

Escanaba, MI

#56 Feb 22, 2011
The Negotiator wrote:
<quoted text> How about at our capitol, the Washington Redskins?
actually, the term washington redskins derives from the time of the buffalo head nickel, back then a european american could bring a piece of red skin to the nations capitol and recieve a buffalo head nickel in return, thus forming the term "washington redskin", so the next time you hear a redskins fan cheering for this team, you'll know exactly what he is cheering for!
Gene Pool

Wichita, KS

#57 Feb 22, 2011
The Negotiator wrote:
<quoted text> How about at our capitol, the Washington Redskins?
That's an NFL issue. The topic is the NCAA and it's hypocrisy
Mr T in STP

Salem, OR

#58 Feb 22, 2011
slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, the term washington redskins derives from the time of the buffalo head nickel, back then a european american could bring a piece of red skin to the nations capitol and recieve a buffalo head nickel in return, thus forming the term "washington redskin", so the next time you hear a redskins fan cheering for this team, you'll know exactly what he is cheering for!
Some old wives tale? Not true in the least bit.
Mr T in STP

Salem, OR

#59 Feb 22, 2011
Gene Pool wrote:
FSU received approval from the tribes in their state, as needed to comply with the NCAA regulation. UND has not received the approval.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
help our jewish brothers 5 hr lake bay boy 2
Hilary Recknor: Huge Plans For Youranus (Oct '15) 21 hr Zeke the Pinhead 4
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) May 13 Friend of TC 30
Debate: Marijuana - Bismarck, ND (Aug '10) Apr '16 ken 13
Repent Repent Repent Apr '16 BE WASHED 1
News Flying High Apr '16 Assfacehole Queer... 2
News Jeremy Rustad (Apr '08) Mar '16 Hollysucks 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bismarck Mortgages