North Dakota House taking up Fighting Sioux nickname bills

Full story: TwinCities.com

North Dakota lawmakers face a decision Monday on whether the University of North Dakota should keep its Fighting Sioux athletics nickname.
Comments
1 - 20 of 59 Comments Last updated Feb 22, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Matt

Sierra Vista, AZ

#1 Feb 21, 2011
I didn't hear any mention of the Sioux tribe protesting the using of their tribal name, if so, who is against it and what is their agenda.
Oliver

Rochester, MN

#2 Feb 21, 2011
And Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" is derogatory to MY ethnic heritage...what does the NCAA say about that?
Gopher fan

Saint Michael, MN

#3 Feb 21, 2011
I hate the Sioux, but I think it's ridiculous that they should have to give up their nickname. Florida State can have a white kid in an Indian headdress and war paint ride a horse and carry a flaming spear into the stadium. The Cleveland Indians can have an over-sized Chief Wahoo mascot and a logo on their ball caps that is a caricature of a grinning '50s comicbook Indian. I think the University of North DAKOTA (what's the name of the state again?) can probably continue their respectful acknowledgment of their state's Native American heritage.
Gopher fan

Saint Michael, MN

#4 Feb 21, 2011
@Matt - there are three tribes in North Dakota that have been given the power by the NCAA to approve or reject the Sioux nickname.(which is interesting in and of itself, because the "Sioux" people call themselves "Dakota", not Sioux) One voted in favor, the other two refuse to hold a vote. Opinion polls show keeping the nickname would be approved easily, but the tribal leaders refuse to call a vote.
NoDak Viking

Bismarck, ND

#5 Feb 21, 2011
Fighting Polocks???
dum dums

Cook, MN

#6 Feb 21, 2011
what a waste of time and effort. who the eff cares if someone is offended by the name..........
Pete

Tower, MN

#7 Feb 21, 2011
Gopher fan here says with all the traditon and history let the Sioux have their nickname. It would not be tha same if they weren't the "Fighting Sioux." I remember back when the Gophers had to change their Mad Gopher look to a gentler one and they haven't been the same since.
bashleyoo

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 21, 2011
why does it seem everyone is offended there is nothing offensive about that nickname, for crying out loud people get a life and worry about real issues
Gardyfan

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Feb 21, 2011
Glad to see a state stand up to political correctness run amok -
Glad to see the Indian reservation involved and supporting the positive use of their heritage and history - as a gopher fan, I am frequently reminded of how strong and proud the Sioux were in frontier days.
Steve

Nashville, TN

#10 Feb 21, 2011
How about the High flying Honky's...
Pale Skin

Le Sueur, MN

#11 Feb 21, 2011
If no one should be offended then why not re-name them the "Pasty White Men"? Why? Cause white men aren't warriors. I think the tribes should be paid a leasing fee, yearly. That since their land was absorbed by the settlers and without compensation at the time.

Oh, UND at Grand Forks is a nationally respected educational institution. Why insist on tying this stupid issue of demanding that the Native American name be permanantly affixed, forever, to a hockey team. A sign of advanced intelligence or backward thinking. We'll see in the next week how everything plays out.
captain quint

Champlin, MN

#12 Feb 21, 2011
Most definitely not a UND fan but its great to see someone take on the NCAA idiots and their pc policies.

As mentioned in a prevous post - if mascots can be offending what is the NCAA doing about Notre Dame's brawling drunken leprechan.

Since: Sep 10

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 21, 2011
captain quint wrote:
Most definitely not a UND fan but its great to see someone take on the NCAA idiots and their pc policies.
As mentioned in a prevous post - if mascots can be offending what is the NCAA doing about Notre Dame's brawling drunken leprechan.
It's a matter of time before PETA becomes offended with Goldy Gopher spinning his head to amuse the student section during a violent hockey game. Just wait, it's coming.
Mr T in STP

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Feb 21, 2011
This has nothing to do with the state legislature, it is just grandstanding. As a Gopher hockey fan, I do hate the sioux, but don't think they should give up the name. UND really has nothing else it can do because of the ruling seeking approval from the tribes in state. Panic is starting to set it, just wait for an injunction from a judge.

Florida State can have the white kid riding around because they received approval from the in state tribes.
gtd

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Feb 21, 2011
Can I put a Gopher in my PETA sandwich and offend someone? Word police need to get a life. Are the Beavers, Bulldogs, Badgers, Hawkeyes next by PETA police?

There is so much more out there to expend energy on.

The "Dakota Fighting Sioux" does sound nice, but I live in Minnesota and why should anyone in a state nicknamed for a rodent care.

Are the Canadien Canucks offended? Seems like only Academics in a college could find time to keep pursuing this.

This is only making money for the lawyers.
FrankL

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 21, 2011
captain quint wrote:
Why hasn't MADD sued Purdue, after all doesn't the name Boiler Makers promote excessive drinking?
Mammy

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 21, 2011
It's the stupid Nanny State every time you turn around.
ZED

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 21, 2011
wonderful - screw all political correct Control crap !!!
Joe Blow

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Feb 21, 2011
GOOD! Let's all continue to stand up for our rights.
Herbie from Above

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Feb 21, 2011
Mr T in STP wrote:
This has nothing to do with the state legislature, it is just grandstanding. As a Gopher hockey fan, I do hate the sioux, but don't think they should give up the name. UND really has nothing else it can do because of the ruling seeking approval from the tribes in state. Panic is starting to set it, just wait for an injunction from a judge.
Florida State can have the white kid riding around because they received approval from the in state tribes.
We are disgusted by the behavior of the Sioux fans. I am especially offended by them when they change the National Anthem with their boisterous B as in "B: and S as in "S"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bismarck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chancellor on Sioux Name (Sep '10) Aug 22 Sangelia 6
North Dakota gets first NAACP chapter (May '09) Aug 21 Ejem 93
Crazy Horse/The Great Spirit Gave Him A Shield Aug 10 Loyd Burleson 1
FaceTime Aug 5 Becky 1
Transit survey: enter to win a $50 Amazon prize... (May '11) Jul '14 Eric-W-Koci 4
sports Jul '14 sports fan 1
Molly Bish and Maura Murray (Aug '11) Jun '14 HollandWindmills 22
•••
•••

Bismarck Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bismarck People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••