Former Irving School House in Wisconsin Rapids

Posted in the Biron Forum

Jill Gault

Green Bay, WI

#1 Jan 21, 2010
I am so glad to see this picture. I went to school here from 1970-1973. I am hoping they do something to preserve its history as it is a beautiful building filled with many treasured memories.
jen

Mcfarland, WI

#2 Jun 8, 2011
why did they close this school? i live two blocks away from it and i walk past it all the time. i've heard rumors that it's haunted????
bill kauth

Corvallis, OR

#3 Jun 11, 2011
got my first stitches there in 1970 wrestling on the ice
Echo

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 29, 2011
My mother went to this school in the late 30's. Lived nearby, somewhere. She dropped her valentine's on the way home and was very upset. I heard quite a few years ago that someone bought the property for a bed and breakfast. Too bad that didn't happen. Thankfully the stairs on the side street going up to the lot are still there (I hope so anyway).
Kurt Johnson

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#5 Apr 12, 2012
It's not haunted. It sure is cool to look at. I guess the fine people from River Cities Paranormal Society investigated the building a few times. They basically came up with nothing to report and the guy who runs the group stated there is no haunting or paranormal activity in there. Those folks at RCPS certainly know their stuff.
J Wood

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#6 Apr 22, 2012
Hey Kurt,

We did investigate there a few times and really didn't find anything very noteworthy. You could easily hear traffic, people, and contamination from outside and inside (birds and other animals), causing false positives from all around. We take a very strong scientific approach to debunking and questioning everything. There just wasn't enough to declare the location haunted or even containing paranormal activity. Psychic "evidence" just doesn't cut it for me at all. If that was the case, someone would of claimed the million from James Randi some time ago. Thanks for mentioning us!

J Wood
River Cities Paranormal Society
http://www.rcpswi.com
Somegirl

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#7 May 16, 2012
Jill Gault wrote:
I am so glad to see this picture. I went to school here from 1970-1973. I am hoping they do something to preserve its history as it is a beautiful building filled with many treasured memories.
Someone bought the house and they are turning it into a house,
Unknown

Madison, WI

#8 Nov 29, 2012
Kurt Johnson wrote:
It's not haunted. It sure is cool to look at. I guess the fine people from River Cities Paranormal Society investigated the building a few times. They basically came up with nothing to report and the guy who runs the group stated there is no haunting or paranormal activity in there. Those folks at RCPS certainly know their stuff.
I beg to differ!
Anonymous

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#9 Dec 4, 2012
This school is haunted. The fine folks at RCPS are the only team out of about 50 that say this isn't haunted, and the only reason they say this is because they treated another team that had been to the school very rudely so I had to tell them that wasn't acceptable. The leader of the team then went out of his way to start telling people it wasn't haunted even though I have emails saying they believed it was haunted, just because he's upset he's lying. The leader of the team is very childish. Anyone wanting to see those emails can contact me here and I'll forward it to you to see for yourself. Also they have never truly investigated the building. Their whole investigation is available to see on YouTube @
. You can't judge a place to be haunted from one walk-thru. A real investigation can take days, months, or in some cases years to complete.
Christine Grover-Hilgers

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#10 Feb 17, 2013
I wondered if any one have the pictures of classmates or students from 1902 to 1975, but I need a picture of 5th and 6th grades for the deaf in 1940. I am deaf woman and works for schools reunion from Marshfield and Stevens Point once a while. Will you copy this picture of 5th and 6th grades for the deaf? Please send me or call me...
Christine Grover-Hilgers
Wisconsin Rapids
Not Fooled

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#11 Mar 18, 2013
I have to side with RCPS on this one. Being that this building is so called "haunted" as the owners claim and tack a price tag on it for paranormal teams to have a go at it, anyone with half a brain can see that it is just a way to make money at it. Most of the people in this town can obviously see that it was purchased as a way to present a paranormal circus. I have personally heard a few neighbors grumble about those late night things going on over there and it isn't ghosts. People running around with flashlights and making noise. I also know the leader of RCPS and he not once said the building is "haunted". Even I know there is a difference between paranormal activity and what "haunted" means. At least RCPS isn't ripping people off. Irving School, you are laughable.
Dawn

Iola, WI

#12 Mar 25, 2013
What a lovely old building.
SaSaHaunts

Chicago, IL

#13 May 29, 2013
It is absolutely haunted... I've investigated there a couple of times and have come up with plenty of evidence to support that statement. It's currently being restored.

“Go RAPIDS!”

Since: Apr 09

Wisconsin Rapids

#14 Jul 26, 2013
As the owner of the former 'First Ward School House" aka "Irving School" for over 15 years (1995-2010), I spent countless hours inside of this building alone and with family members. Not once was there a perceptible feeling of anything unusual. The idea of perpetuating false rumors about people committing suicide in this building is preposterous. I walked the property with my children and worked inside on a frequent basis, without incident. Suicides in the building? I was never advised of any suicides in the building. To find out, one need only check with the police. I called the Wisconsin Rapids police and they had no record of a suicide in this building. My information was that the alleged "suicide victim" was a vandal who lived there for a short time and painted graffiti all over the walls. To my knowledge, no one ever committed suicide in this building. To insinuate this for viewers as "truth" is shameful. Not once in my 15 years of ownership did anyone ever tell me about hauntings or strange activity, aside from the occasional vandal breaking and entering. I saw a posting of the school house on a haunted house site many years ago and had a laugh. The ones reporting the haunting had never been inside the building! Current ownership should be ashamed of misleading viewers and bending history to suit their entrepreneurial purposes. They purchased the building with a goal of a TV program and a business venture. While it makes for interesting television and the program has strong production value, it is nothing more than fodder for those who choose to believe nonsense instead of truth. While I applaud the current owners and their vision to restore the building and make it useful again, I encourage them to be truthful about past events. A business built on lies cannot last and cannot be good for Wisconsin Rapids and those who call it home.
cindy chartier

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2014
I went to school there in mid sixties? My am I that old?? Remember being held back in 1st grade for red f's on my report card. Ms domask was the teacher. Anyone else remember her or Muriel Holiday the principal and best friend of my Grandma JORGENSEN. OH THE MEMORIES.......
Cindy chartier(jorgensen) grew up on apricot st...one block away from school. A good childhood.....
TBM

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#16 Wednesday Apr 15
I think the people who have it now are just trying to make money on other people's curiosity. What a horrible thing to do just to make a buck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wisconsin Rapids United Way to Provide Free Cel... (Jul '14) Apr '15 Almost amish 2
Pacific International (Apr '06) Jan '15 More Cowbell 113
News Joshua Allen 'Josh' Halverson (Sep '10) Dec '14 Mike 3
News NewPage to close Whiting mill; 360 jobs to be lost (Mar '11) Mar '11 Sherry D 1
News Earl and Vivian Haefs Anniversary (Dec '09) Dec '09 adams flash 3
see a video (Apr '08) Apr '08 michelle 1
News Kwik Trip Robbery Suspects in Court (Nov '06) Nov '06 Daniel Gildenzoph 1
More from around the web

Biron People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]