John Guthrie

Spartanburg, SC

#47 Feb 24, 2010
This is touching display my friends. The father of one of my best friends passed away about two years ago. My friend being the oldest sibling, and as his parents divorced long prior, he was responsible for clearing out his father's home. I had quickly taken to his old man when he would come visit us at college, and we'd talk fishing and have a few drinks. While sorting through his father's belongings my friend found and gave to me a copy of "Rivers of Memory." I read quite a lot, and I am of course a huge fan of Hemingway, but no other work has touched or moved me so deeply. I live in Western North Carolina, I've lived on the coast of North Carolina, and I've traveled quite a lot in the Caribbean. Harry captured those magical places, the joys and pains of life, and the spirituality of angling better than anyone I've ever had the pleasure to read. Here's to you Harry, thank you. And here's to all of you who share my reverence for this man.
Laminarman

Binghamton, NY

#48 Mar 31, 2010
My word, what a thread. I have been searching for information on Harry. I am somewhat different than most- I almost never re-read his books. The first impression was so powerful I enjoy holding them and flipping through them. Almost don't dare to see them not give me the same thrill. Kind of like a "first kiss", it's never quite the same the second time.

“Nothing more Nothing less”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#49 Apr 6, 2010
Another bit of information:
The late George Maurer who was the Bamboo Rod maker
that made Harry his rods told me personally that Harry had spoke to him on the telephone and they discussed the re varnishing of Elis Wonders old bamboo rod. George told me it was a miss matched three piece rod. It sadden George that, Harry died before George could work on the rod....

Oh by the way, I started this thread before I moved to the mountains. I live in a valley very much like the valley that Harry describes in the Earth Is Enough. I have now lived in the mountains
for over five years now...a paradise lived each day...

Also thanks for the great number of people who have stumbled upon the thread...we all love Harry.
janet

Pittsburgh, PA

#50 Jun 12, 2010
The Earth is Enough is my favorite book of all time. Harry described the delights of the outdoor world like no other. He has taken me to many streams, meadows, woods, mountains, and deserts with just his words on paper. I could feel the pull on the line almost as if I were standing in the cool mountain creek with him, watching the beautiful trout in the shadows take the fly. Happy fishing Harry - I bet you know where all the big browns hide in deep pools in heaven. Thank you for your beautiful words and wisdom and especially for your love of wild things.
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#51 Jul 16, 2010
janet wrote:
The Earth is Enough is my favorite book of all time. Harry described the delights of the outdoor world like no other. He has taken me to many streams, meadows, woods, mountains, and deserts with just his words on paper. I could feel the pull on the line almost as if I were standing in the cool mountain creek with him, watching the beautiful trout in the shadows take the fly. Happy fishing Harry - I bet you know where all the big browns hide in deep pools in heaven. Thank you for your beautiful words and wisdom and especially for your love of wild things.
Janet--It was a cool night here in the mountains that hold the small village of Pine Grove, Colorado a village with a pop. of 40 people.
I laid in my camper last night as I always do in the summer time, listening to lions,bears,coyotes and most of all the myriads of notes that come off the North Fork just a couple of hundred yards
in the distance. Tonight is special, I'm reading the book recently published this July of Harry Middletons Uncollected Writings titled "In That Sweet Country". I hope everyone on this forum gets this book. It is a small world Harry speaks about his guide Hank Wilson while fishing the White River. Hank sent me a wooden box of his hand crafted tying tools out of the kindness of his heart years ago. I tie my little flies with his tools everyday. Hank is a fine gentleman and a great fly fisherman and guide as well. Yes indeed it is a small world and a little better world because of writers such as Harry Middleton. Without Harrys words my personal loneliness would have been unbearable. Thanks to Ron Ellis who came up with the idea of this book.
terry shields

Dickinson, TX

#52 Sep 7, 2010
It is so cool i found this site i read The Earth is Enough 7 or 8 years ago and was so moved by the book i went and bought The Spine of Time, The Bright Country and Starlight Creek Anglin Society. I read the books in sequence and i was very hard to get thru the Bright Country for i just felt for Harry, after reading the books i found there was very little about Harry on the web, so i callled and talked with Lyons the publisher and that is when i found out Harry had died of a heart attack. What a great author i sometimes wander what he might have written next. So today is a great day i just bought a copy of Harrys uncollected writings.
terry
Dylan stanley

Arlington, TX

#53 Nov 9, 2010
I just finished Earth is enough about 20 mins ago and needless to say I had to find out more about Harry Middleton. I was in Fayetteville Arkansas a week or so ago and Being an avid fly fisherman myself was looking through old books in the fishing section at a used bookstore there. I picked out several by authors I knew and had read before and just as I was leaving spotted the spine of this book. The title grabbed my attention and appealed to my tree hugging desire to live as the old men in this story did. After reading the back cover I put all the others back on the shelf and bought Earth is enough for 9 bucks. I flyfish the creeks rivers and streams of the Ozarks for trout and have found my soul in the clear waters that house these treasures. I am simply in love with this book and am heading to the trout waters of the ozarks this coming weekend and will be passing it along to my long time fishing partner Tim who I hope finds equal pleasure in it. If anyone knows what creek Middleton is writing about I would love to know. My wife is from the area the book talks about and based on descriptions thinks it is around Omaha/Harrison. There were several small trout farms back in the 60's and 70's in that area. We think the location must be somewhere near the defunct amusement park Dogpatch. Anyone who has info please let me know. djstanl25@yahoo.com
Willy Cutts

United States

#54 Nov 4, 2011
I was in Junior High School with Harry in Okinawa in 1964, the year before the incident described in "The Earth is Enough." We were friends in class. It was the bicentennial of the Civil War at that time and I recall having conversations about that. I also recall he covered his notebook pages with small civil war stick soldiers in battle.

I still have the yearbook he wrote a note in, closing with "Stay Cool, Harry"

It was a long time ago but I do remember him as a nice guy.
Richard Neil Graham

Garden Grove, CA

#55 Nov 6, 2011
Hi Willy,

It's great to see you post here. I picked up a copy of one of Harry's books when I was organizing things at Sports Afield magazine back in 2003 or 2004 as an extracurricular task as associate editor.

Now I have three of his books and will continue to buy others as I have the money.

Did you know the other boys that were involved in the incident in Okinawa?

All the best,

Richard Neil Graham
Author of "Wheelers, Dealeers, Pucks & Bucks: A Rocking History of Roller Hockey International."
Willy Cutts

United States

#56 Nov 13, 2011
Hi Richard,

I don't recall that I knew either of the other boys involved, they are only identified by their first names. The only one I could really identify was Bill Norwood, the unfortunate boy who was killed. He was a year ahead of me in school and a classmate of my older brother's.

After reading some of Harry's works it is spooky how we were unknowingly in close proximity through the years in North Carolina, Florida and the Caribbean...

And of course I meant the centennial of the Civil War, not bicentennial...

Regards,

Willy Cutts
Newberry, Florida

Author:
Trees of Florida and the Caribbbean
Cuba's Trees, an Illustrated Guide
Richard Neil Graham

Roselle Park, NJ

#57 Nov 13, 2011
Thanks, Willy!

Would love to hear some spooky specifics.:)

RNG
Author. "Wheelers, Dealers, Pucks & Bucks: A Rocking History of Roller Hockey International"
peter hill

Baddeck, Canada

#58 Dec 19, 2011
Just came across this thread. Love "Earth" one of my favourite books especially in winter when the cold of cape breton prevents brook trout fishing
Larry Clark

United States

#59 Jan 3, 2012
Has anyone notice the similarities between the earth is enough and the movie second hand lions?
Brittany Melissa

Tyler, TX

#60 Apr 27, 2012
stuart ashworth wrote:
I personally knew him. I used to watch his son when he and his wife went out to dinner or for the evening. I also would take care of his house and cat when they were out of town. My family was friends with the Middletons. We have several autographed copies of his books. Though I've never read a single one! Why do you ask about him? To
Stuart, how wonderful. I am such a huge fan of his works. If you could, would you please email me at brittany@bmhconsultinginc.com or respond to this message? If you have interest, I would LOVE to purchase one of the autographed copies. If they are personal and have sentimental value I understand, but I would love to make you and offer as it would mean so much to my husband and I. Thank you kindly and I hope to hear from you. All the best, Brittany
Tom Cavicchia

Euless, TX

#61 Jul 14, 2012
Larry Clark wrote:
Has anyone notice the similarities between the earth is enough and the movie second hand lions?
Larry, I thought that when I first saw the previews. I was really disappointed that it was not the same story, and even more so that there was no credit given to Harry Middleton. The idea for the screenplay seems to come directly from the book--and would have been a better movie if it were were the same story.
By the way, I read "The Earth is Enough" at least once a year and wish I could get my hands on a copy of " The Starlight Creek Angling Society."

Tom Cavicchia
Missouri
Dean Gray

Mount Juliet, TN

#62 Sep 6, 2012
I'm another fan of the late Harry Middleton. I'd like to read The Starlight Angling Society which is out of print. Amazon has 3 used copies for sale at over $1900 each. I've heard that won't be republished but I see that on Amazon if you possess the rights to this title Amazon will do the publishing and also make it available online all at no expense to the titleholder. Amazon will pay royalties to that individual. If Harry's family owns the title perhaps they'd be interested?
Richard Neil Graham

Valencia, CA

#63 Sep 6, 2012
Great idea, Dean. Let's hope that the rights holder goes for it. I'd like to read it, too!
It's amazing to me that a man like Harry, who had such a positive effect on people, is barely known to the wider society, while many who have accomplished much less in their lives are rich and famous.

"They confuse heaven’s radiant stars with a duck’s footprint left in the mud." — Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
Hayden

Prahran, Australia

#64 Sep 6, 2012
I've just Harry Middleton 'down under.' His first book The Earth is Enough impressed me so much that I've brought all of his books except for The Starlight Creek Angling Society'. Reading 'The Bright Country' now. Whatever happened to Harry's family? Do they still survive him? If so, any writers amongst them?
Hayden

Prahran, Australia

#65 Sep 6, 2012
Sorry, my last post should read, I've just found Harry Middleton 'down under.' His first book The Earth is Enough impressed me so much that I've brought all of his books except for The Starlight Creek Angling Society'. Reading 'The Bright Country' now. Whatever happened to Harry's family? Do they still survive him? If so, any writers amongst them?
Dean Gray

Mount Juliet, TN

#66 Sep 28, 2012
I've recently finished reading Bright Country and On the Spine of Time. Both were very moving. I've fished for trout for over 50 years, not so much anymore since relocating to the South. Harry made me understand my feelings when wading in a wild trout stream. Such a gift he had for putting into words the wonder that many of us experience when we are lucky enough to find ourselves in a "wild place". I've passed the 3 books I've read on to others as I know I will not read them again. The gift from Harry will always be with me. The Bright Country especially touched a nerve as I have someone very close to me who has similar problems. To re-read Bright Country would be painful for me. I hope that many more folks get to discover Harry Middleton through his books.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Chuck 19,553
17 female from Birmingham, Rosie x 5 hr Rosie 1
Ageing Thu hic 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 VeggieBurger 90
the music thread (Apr '12) Dec 15 Musikologist 17
23 year old female looking for some action +44 ... Dec 14 Georgia 1
23 year old female looking for some fun Dec 14 Georgia 1
Birmingham Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Birmingham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Birmingham News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Birmingham

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:14 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:14PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:53 AM
Julio Jones' availability hinges on pre-game workout, again
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
Bleacher Report 9:45 AM
Complete Preview for Falcons vs. Saints
Bleacher Report10:16 AM
Complete Preview for Saints vs. Falcons