Since: Nov 07

Merrimack, NH

#21 Feb 5, 2008
Daniel wrote:
Stuart,
You knew Harry Middleton? I am a huge fan of his books. What kind of man did he strike you as? I've tried to find more information on the guy and can't find anything. I'm just curious as to what kind of person he was outside the relm of his books.
Thanks, Daniel ecoframe@hotmail.com
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the author of "The Earth is Enough" ?? Jim Asbury
Rockwell in Montana

Seeley Lake, MT

#22 Feb 5, 2008
Does anyone know if the Harry Middleton Lectureship is named for this Harry Middleton? Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson (Ladybird) established the Harry Middleton Lectureship in 1994.
Rover

Westfield, MA

#23 Feb 7, 2008
The Harry Middleton Lectureship is not named for the Harry Middleton of Starlight Creek.

I believe the Harry Middleton you refer to was a speechwriter for President Johnson and later the director of the LBJ Library & Museum.

While he certainly wrote, I don't know if he ever lifted a flyrod!
Al Money

Cumming, GA

#24 Mar 2, 2008
Does any know the identity of any of the characters named in "The Spine of Time"?
Rebecca

Barnesville, OH

#25 Apr 25, 2008
Bill Hensel wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Ashworth,
I have done a lot of research on Middlton and discovered a lot about him. My question to you is this, Why didn't you read any of his books?
Well, have you shared any yet? I am so curious to know more about him. I just finished reading, in a row, three of his memoirs. So precious, deep and funny . Such language! So apt at description of the natural world including the peculiarities of us two-leggeds!
Hamlin Endicott

Atlanta, GA

#26 May 7, 2008
Brooktrout2 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm curious if we talking about the Harry Middleton who wrote "The Earth is Enough" about trout fishing ... Thank Jim Asbury
yes , hes the one and the same. I think my brother and I picked him up hitchhiking back to his car after a days fishing back in the 80s in the WNC mtns. Later I read his books and they are the best of any others old or new.
Roy Ford Sarasota Fl

Port Charlotte, FL

#27 Jun 9, 2008
I just found Harry Middleton in goodwill(The Earth is Enough) I am from the UK and now live in FL. I do not have to go to the Ozarks, I have already visted with Harry. The writing, gave me goose bumps, needles to say I will now buy everthing this great writer did.
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#28 Jun 18, 2008
Al Money wrote:
Does any know the identity of any of the characters named in "The Spine of Time"?
The New York Investor ( On The Spine Of Time) was actually from the Southern Part of the country.
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#29 Jun 18, 2008
Rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, have you shared any yet? I am so curious to know more about him. I just finished reading, in a row, three of his memoirs. So precious, deep and funny . Such language! So apt at description of the natural world including the peculiarities of us two-leggeds!
Rebecca goggle Bamboo Bill Rods and E mail me so we can communicate...I don't want to be to public about Harry on this forum.
JANET FLEMING

Bethany, OK

#30 Aug 9, 2008
I love Harry Middleton and I've owned his books for years except one. Does anyone know if they will ever reprint "STARLIGHT ANGLING SOCIETY'?
I CAN'T AFFORD THE $800 TO $1000 price of the out of print copies if they can even be found. I had a chance to buy one at a bookstore when the price of a new book was $200.00. I thought the pricing was an error so I didn't think anymore about it.
I would love to have a copy for $200.00. I save the Southern Living magazines that have his OUTDOORS SOUTH articles in them. I have about 40 issues and I treasure them all.
fanny hively

Mount Pleasant, TX

#31 Aug 10, 2008
I have been a huge harry middleton fan for years. I read all his articles in Southern Living, then I found his book "The Earth is Enough." I have everything he wrote expect the starlight creek angling society, and one of my sons has that. I would love to have known him and would love to know more about him. He has the most wonderful way with words of anyone I've ever read.
Jim Casada

Brevard, NC

#32 Dec 4, 2008
I knew Harry quite well as a fellow outdoor writer and as a friend. We exchanged a bunch of letters in the 1980s, and they read as well as his books. Harry was painfully shy, wonderfully talented, a troubled soul, and a fascinating person. He verged on being inept with a fly rod, notwithstanding his love of fly fishing. According to another friend who has lived in Arkansas all his life and knows the state's streams intimately, there's no such place as Harry described in "The Earth Is Enough." Similarly, there's a lot of fiction in "On the Spine of Time." I grew up squarely in the heart of the region of the Smokies which forms the focus of that book, and if memory serves Harry mentions my name in the Acknowledgments to the work. The geographical settings are real; the characters aren't, and I retain close ties to the region (and my 99-year-old father knows everyone locally and none to the characters Harry mentions rings a bell with him). One other thought--Harry was a great fan of Horace Kephart. I've written quite a bit on Kep over the years (yes, I'm a sporting scribe, and that's how I first got to know Harry) and own a bunch of his papers. That really interested Harry. There's a great deal more, but I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd share a bit. Jim Casada
Bill Hensel

Golden, CO

#33 Dec 27, 2008
I'm surprised how many people have located this thread I started years ago on Harry.
George Maurer made Harry bamboo fly rods..George died in Feburary 2008.
The last telephone conversation I had with George was about Harry, Georges personal friend...George cried on the phone and asked me to write an article
about Harrys life and said he would back me 100 percent on the facts. In some ways I wish I had written the article if for no reason other than George loved Harry and so wanted the world to know about him.
After a lot of thought regarding the idea of writting the article I decided not to tackle the project. Now that George is dead, I would have no one to back up the claims in the article. Perhaps that is just as well.
Gary Gardner

United States

#34 Feb 2, 2009
Thank you Bill & others for the information. I first read "On the Spine of Time" several years ago. It was quite by accident. I picked up the book at a bargain store. By the end of the first page he had me hooked as surely as one of his beautiful wild Smoky Mountain brook trout! His craftsmanship with words rivals Hemmingway's, though his storytelling is not in the same league. I have read & re-read all his books, save "The Starlight Creek Angling Society" & I have promised myself that I will do so before I assume room temperature myself. Thanks Again!!
Bharat

UK

#36 Feb 25, 2009
My God this thread is a revelation!!!. I am from India and picked up The Earth is Enough at 16. I found it in a pile of books that were being thrown away. It was the year before I moved to the US and somehow the book has stayed with me. I am now 34 and live in London but the book is still in my head.
I am not into fly fishing and the closest I have got to the Ozarks is Texahana but, the way Harry Middleton wrote touched something nostalgic within me. Even now on a hot summers day I will have ice tea and a plate of ripe tomatoes with salt (as they did in the book), strange. His appreciation for the simple was profound.
I wish I had met him and keep this thread going.
Regards
michael stone

AOL

#38 Apr 7, 2009
Jim Casada wrote:
I knew Harry quite well as a fellow outdoor writer and as a friend. We exchanged a bunch of letters in the 1980s, and they read as well as his books. Harry was painfully shy, wonderfully talented, a troubled soul, and a fascinating person. He verged on being inept with a fly rod, notwithstanding his love of fly fishing. According to another friend who has lived in Arkansas all his life and knows the state's streams intimately, there's no such place as Harry described in "The Earth Is Enough." Similarly, there's a lot of fiction in "On the Spine of Time." I grew up squarely in the heart of the region of the Smokies which forms the focus of that book, and if memory serves Harry mentions my name in the Acknowledgments to the work. The geographical settings are real; the characters aren't, and I retain close ties to the region (and my 99-year-old father knows everyone locally and none to the characters Harry mentions rings a bell with him). One other thought--Harry was a great fan of Horace Kephart. I've written quite a bit on Kep over the years (yes, I'm a sporting scribe, and that's how I first got to know Harry) and own a bunch of his papers. That really interested Harry. There's a great deal more, but I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd share a bit. Jim Casada
jim....i just found this post about harry, after reading all his books and articles, i finally decided to move to the smokies and find some off harrys famous haunts, i live in murphy nc and about 20 mles away from the famous sign on hwy 74 that reads "heaven or hell" just inside of topton going into the natahala gorge.
yes i agree, many of harrys characters of the area, might have been more imagination than fact as in arby mulligan and tewksberry, but who knows.
everytime i fish hazel creek, deep creek, natahala river, the tuckaseegee or camp out on the banks of the snowbird river, harry is with me.
i listen for bagpipes in the wind and hope to hear the clitery clack of arby mulligan prayer wheel, but i find peace in just the sounds of the water.
because of harry, i now collect and fish bamboo flyrods, because of harry, i rejoice in every trout i catch in these mountain waters, because of harry i will never look at million year old moss covered rocks the same way.
harry changed my life, and my love of ancient mountain water could never be stronger,trout fishing has become a religious experince and and i can never go to a country buffet resturant without thinking.....BAD POTATO SALAD....we love you harry....wherever you may be!!!
i hope you are fishing with your uncles on starlight creek with that haggered ole fly you kept in your pocket....god speed harry...we love you.......michael stone
Al Money

Cumming, GA

#39 May 1, 2009
I am a huge fan of Middletons. I have read On the Spine of Time no less than 6 times and have just started it again. I do this about this time every year. I wish I could have known Harry personally, although I feel as though I do through his writings. I have been an avid trout fisherman for the past 40+ years and have fished Hazel, Forney, Deep and Nolan creeks. With every fish I bring to hand I look into the blackness of its eyes and think of Harry. I was in Cherokee NC. a week ago and thought of Winterwolf Dougal. In the prologue he says his characters are more real than imagined. I would love to reasearch some of those folks. If anyone knows their identity or where I might begin investigating, please contact me at amoney@mindspring.com
Thanks
DOYLE

Collegeville, PA

#41 Jan 9, 2010
My son gave me Middletons book for christmas-The Earth is Enough
and I finished today (I-9-2010). I have never been
so moved by the beauty of his writing and hope to obtain all his works.
Sadly, we lose men whose heart and mind enrich our lives with their great gift of words.
Richard Graham

Sherman Oaks, CA

#42 Jan 15, 2010
What a wonderful thread this is. I was an editor at an outdoors publication for a short time in the early 1990s, and I nabbed "The Bright Country" from a bunch of review copies that were being thrown out.

Here's a review I posted tonight on Amazon.com :

Harry Middleton had a vocabulary to shame this English major; keeping a dictionary at hand upon first reading "The Bright Country" was imperative.

Middleton's deep understanding of the "Meat Bucket Blues," along with his compassion for the marginalized and his passion for what really matters, is what stood out the most.

I must have known that Middleton was no longer with us; it was confirmed for me tonight when I did an Internet search for his name. At first I was sad, but then I realized that Harry lives on through his books, as all great authors do.

Read this sometimes difficult book, not for its clear-eyed view of depression or its joyful praise for fly-fishing, but for a deeper understanding of the earth that we are fortunate live upon, and the cold, rushing, trout-filled rivers that Harry Middleton stood in as he connected with the the wild places that soothed his oft-times tortured soul.
Anonymous

United States

#46 Jan 29, 2010
new Harry Middleton uncollected writings anthology due out in July 2010. F@@@@@ Fantastic

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 44 min health 19,833
NSA Passion and Romance (May '12) Sat Curious 5
News Survivor contestant, Alabama native Caleb Banks... (Jun '14) Apr 15 songhyko88 3
Any horny lady's looking for fun Apr 12 moupforfun 2
hot girls Apr 11 johnwv8 1
hot girls Apr 11 johnwv8 1
Irondale Music Selection (Jul '12) Apr 10 Musikologist 13
More from around the web

Birmingham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]