The late Harry Middleton author of THE EARTH IS ENOUGH

Posted in the Birmingham Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#1 Dec 5, 2006
I wonder if there is anyone around that personally knew Harry Middleton he was an editor of Sothern Living Magazine.
stuart ashworth

Birmingham, AL

#2 Dec 28, 2006
I personally knew him. I used to watch his son when he and his wife went out to dinner or for the evening. I also would take care of his house and cat when they were out of town. My family was friends with the Middletons. We have several autographed copies of his books. Though I've never read a single one! Why do you ask about him? To
Daniel

Portland, OR

#3 Jan 26, 2007
Stuart,
You knew Harry Middleton? I am a huge fan of his books. What kind of man did he strike you as? I've tried to find more information on the guy and can't find anything. I'm just curious as to what kind of person he was outside the relm of his books.
Thanks, Daniel ecoframe@hotmail.com
stuart ashworth wrote:
I personally knew him. I used to watch his son when he and his wife went out to dinner or for the evening. I also would take care of his house and cat when they were out of town. My family was friends with the Middletons. We have several autographed copies of his books. Though I've never read a single one! Why do you ask about him? To
jeff miller

Greenville, NC

#4 Feb 18, 2007
stuart ashworth wrote:
mr. ashworth - if this is still a working site, please send me an e-mail regarding harry. thanks.
spilley

United States

#5 Apr 17, 2007
stuart ashworth wrote:
Mr. Stuart Ashworth, did you live in Midfield, Al?
stuart ashworth

Birmingham, AL

#6 May 19, 2007
spilley wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Stuart Ashworth, did you live in Midfield, Al?
Sandra Pilley? That'd be me. Yes, I lived across the street!
stuart ashworth

Birmingham, AL

#7 May 19, 2007
jeff miller wrote:
<quoted text>
mr. ashworth - if this is still a working site, please send me an e-mail regarding harry. thanks.
Regarding Harry? What about? Please reply.
stuart ashworth

Birmingham, AL

#8 May 19, 2007
Daniel wrote:
Stuart,
You knew Harry Middleton? I am a huge fan of his books. What kind of man did he strike you as? I've tried to find more information on the guy and can't find anything. I'm just curious as to what kind of person he was outside the relm of his books.
Thanks, Daniel ecoframe@hotmail.com
<quoted text>
He was a kind soft-spoken man and if I remember he liked to fly-fish and went on trips quite often. He loved the outdoors. He paid me well to watch his son when he and his wife went out and to watch his house when they were on a trip.$5 dollars an hour was a lot for a 14 year old in the mid-eighties. Harry had his ups and downs and would sometimes get depressed so I have been told. And then there was his happy energetic creative side. Sort of like Hemingway who you'll see in a photo on the wall next to him in the picture of Harry in his book 'The Earth is Enough'.
Barbara Clark

Bessemer, AL

#9 Jun 2, 2007
I used to work at the Little Professor in Homewood with him. He did work there briefly until one of his books - I think it was one about fishing - got published. We never talked much because he was quiet and I was shy.
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 22, 2007
stuart ashworth wrote:
Mr. Ashworth,
I have done a lot of research on Middlton and discovered a lot about him. My question to you is this, Why didn't you read any of his books?
Bill Hensel

Denver, CO

#11 Jun 22, 2007
Mr. Ashworth,

I have done a lot of research regarding Middleton.My question to you is, Why didn't you read any of his books?

Regards, Bamboo Bill
stuart ashworth

Birmingham, AL

#12 Jul 5, 2007
Bill Hensel wrote:
Mr. Ashworth,
I have done a lot of research regarding Middleton.My question to you is, Why didn't you read any of his books?
Regards, Bamboo Bill
I haven't gotten around to it!
Hamlin Endicott

Knoxville, TN

#13 Sep 13, 2007
jeff miller wrote:
<quoted text>
hey are u still writing a book on Harry Middleton ?
thanks
www.sawgrassbooks.com
Ken C

New Bedford, MA

#14 Oct 6, 2007
Did Mr. Middelton die of aHeart Attack or by his own hand? Either way, aa sad loss.
Ken C

New Bedford, MA

#15 Oct 13, 2007
I have now learned, it wasa Heart Attack
mike smith

Pineville, MO

#16 Oct 13, 2007
1st read the Earth is Enough, then the Bright Country and now nearly finished with Spine of Time.
Mr. Ashworth I hope you read him, I feel you will know him. As there are musician who are technically perfect there is a coldness or lack of warmth but when you hear one who transfers what they feel you know it but can't describe it.
This is how Harry wrote, some of us know "yes, that is how it feels, if only I could put it into words".
As the one gentleman asked if it was by his own hand, read The Bright Country and you will understand.
I live in the Ozarks and I love fly-fishing for trout. I have been to the places he described but I'm still searching for them.
Joe C

Wallingford, CT

#17 Nov 17, 2007
I have all his books, except for The Starlight Creek Angling Society, a copy just sold on ebay. I've fished the same creeks in the Smokies he did, and I always make it a point to cool off some root beer in the creek like he did. I got a signed copy of On the Spine of Time, new, in a shop in the Smokies. I'm in the Ozarks too (Springfield). We ought to start a fan club of sorts. I think the book would make a great little movie.
mike smith- fort smith ar

Pineville, MO

#18 Dec 4, 2007
How many books did he write?
I have 3, but will look for starlight creek angling society.
freeman flies

Columbia, SC

#19 Jan 4, 2008
I read Mr. Middleton's book On the Spine of Time several years ago and was moved to the core. Then, after my marriage fell apart, I lost my dream job, and moved into a lonely home, I re-read it. Probably not a good idea in that frame of mind, but it changed who I was. His ability to craft a sentence is stunning. He doesn't force the words, instead he asks them to come along with him...to respond to his beck and call. There aren't many things I wouldn't trade to spend a day on the water with him. Can any of you shed some light on what he was like, how he treated others, and if any of you got to fish with him? I'd like to know more about a man who changed me. Thanks.

Since: Nov 07

Merrimack, NH

#20 Feb 5, 2008
jeff miller wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious if we talking about the Harry Middleton who wrote "The Earth is Enough" about trout fishing ... Thank Jim Asbury

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Anita 19,287
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 12 hr John 86
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 16 hr Dayle Jackson 286
dodo Sep 27 Anonymous 1
A Walk Among Workplace Violence in Birmingham Sep 24 Culture Auditor 1
Monsanto is very bad Sep 23 Anonymous 1
Ladies Sep 21 Shakzz 1
Birmingham Dating
Find my Match

Birmingham Jobs

Birmingham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Birmingham News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Birmingham

Personal Finance