Drugs divide mothers from children, b...

Drugs divide mothers from children, but Lovelady Center restores relationships

There are 63 comments on the The Mobile Register Online story from Feb 10, 2008, titled Drugs divide mothers from children, but Lovelady Center restores relationships. In it, The Mobile Register Online reports that:

“So that's what I gave her for her fifth birthday: `Happy birthday. Mama loves you. I'm driving off in a police car.' And I haven't been home since.”

Jennifer Callaway remembers the day 2½ years ago when she was arrested at a Kmart pharmacy in Scottsboro while attempting to fill a phony prescription for narcotics. via The Mobile Register Online

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mobile Register Online.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
barbara wood

Selma, AL

#1 Apr 25, 2008
i think no child should have to be subjected to be put in the same situation their mother is in. there is no place for a child around a bunch of so called recovering addicts. i hate the very thought of it. i have a daughter there and i know she is not doing as she's surposed to be doing nor will she ever . to bad folks like her give ya'll such a bad name. She talks about how bad it is there and how easy it is to get drugs anytime they want and how they sneak out at night. some mom huh .Why not leave the children out of it.
judy

AOL

#2 May 4, 2008
I think that the program lacks supervision, if one can sneak out and obtain drugs, it is the fault of the owners, those poor 200 children living at such a place....
Jessie 21 male

Hickman, NE

#3 Jul 18, 2008
some of the girls there have really no reason to be there besides DHR put them there. they just sent my girlfriend there with her newborn because i wasn't off work in time to pick her if from the hospital. she had to take the baby to the hospital because he wasn't eating come to find out he was tong tied they held them over night after his surgery to make sure he would eat then when she count get me at work on the phone because i work construction they sent her there. its like a prison there they cant take calls and only get to have visitors for 4 hours one day out of the week. Shes clean and doesn't do drugs and the child was well taken care of. I really don't think its right for the state to force a woman and her child or just her to go to any religious based center its unconstitutional. they force u to attend church its wrong what if your not christen what if your something else isn't that a violation or your rights as a human being? i think the whole thing is just a big waste of time and money. they have rehabs all ready. I'm a christen but this place is ridiculous. and i agree leave the children out of this. they don't need to suffer for moms mistake if she made one. i post this in hopes of shedding more light on how backwards this country has become and how flawed the system really is.
Shannah

Warrior, AL

#4 Sep 16, 2008
You guys downing The Lovelady Center have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!! The women who sneak out are choosing to sneak out!! Let me repeat the word CHOOSE to sneak out!!! God gives all of "free will". Also, if a client doesn't like the JESUS aspect of us.(Because we are all about Jesus!!) We will be MORE than happy to find her another facility that will suit her better, or back to whatever correctional facility she came from if she does not WANT to be here. We do not force anything on anybody. I am a graduate of TLC & now I am sa productive member of society and honored to be on staff now. I've been to prison. I served 3 years in Mississippi Dept of Corrections. TLC is far from being like a prison!! It's like a "home". A place to "start over". Please feel free to come and tour TLC anytime!!

IN HIS SERVICE
longbeach

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Sep 19, 2008
my daughter enrolled 9/15/08 i would like some more in detail about the program, like she said there is no a/c ,she has to pay 130.00 aweek and her own food .
when i got all of this information online about the program and paid for her intake nobody told me anything about rent ect.....
please e-mail me at f6beckman2@juno.com
longbeach

Schaumburg, IL

#6 Sep 19, 2008
Shannah wrote:
You guys downing The Lovelady Center have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!! The women who sneak out are choosing to sneak out!! Let me repeat the word CHOOSE to sneak out!!! God gives all of "free will". Also, if a client doesn't like the JESUS aspect of us.(Because we are all about Jesus!!) We will be MORE than happy to find her another facility that will suit her better, or back to whatever correctional facility she came from if she does not WANT to be here. We do not force anything on anybody. I am a graduate of TLC & now I am sa productive member of society and honored to be on staff now. I've been to prison. I served 3 years in Mississippi Dept of Corrections. TLC is far from being like a prison!! It's like a "home". A place to "start over". Please feel free to come and tour TLC anytime!!
IN HIS SERVICE
information needed on tlc
doesnt matter

Decatur, AL

#7 Oct 8, 2008
i was at the lovelady center and people just dont know what they are getting themselves in to, yes when they first opened i believe it was to lead people to The Lord, but now i know for a fact that it is just a money hungry family who in fact does not give a flip about 85% of those girls and women in there. If you are not one of the families picks you can just hang it up, that family will not lift a finger to help you out unless you have got money or you know someone who can give a enormous amount of a donation ($), they get food stamps on just about 95% of those women and children and turn around and sell food to the residents out of the diner when the actual food the residents eat is donated, NOW WHAT IS THAT? Most of those women cant afford to buy anything because The Lovelady is going to make sure they get most of the womens check when they do go to work, 130.00 a week that includes transportation regardless if you even use it or not, IT IS A VERY CROOKED PLACE, the government needs to be checking into this, there is more drugs in there than on the street and it is in there right NOW and it makes me sick that the women who are struggling have to tolerate this mental abuse when it should be a zero tolerance place. They should also cut some slack on the money thing if in fact someone is not using the transportation, they still drove those ladies around with bad brakes which almost cost some women their lives when in fact the had the money to fix the things it is awful that they preach about not being gay also but they have staff members that are living together right now but they want to be little people for being themselves and being who they are, now how hypocritic is that??????????
doesnt matter

Decatur, AL

#8 Oct 8, 2008
also if they would leave the ones that are really trying to do something with their lives alone or help them REALLY GET ON THEIR FEET instead of harrass them and wasting time accusing them of things that are not even going on and focus on the ones that are doing wrong like a blonde headed girl there will not say no names but she kept relapsing and they did nothing to her.
andrea

Monroeville, AL

#9 Oct 14, 2008
I am also here to tell you. To start with don't nobody need to listen to Shannon. Cause she is one of dem kiss ass in there. She gets what she wants, when she wants it, even if it gets someone in trouble. I was there for almost a year. And I can vouch that "doesn't matter", is telling the truth. This place, first gets people in, with a smiling face, and nice voice, and then if you don't kiss ass, your out. I know of a woman right now, that got kicked out with her 3 kids, because of he said she said stuff.
casey storey

Fairfield, AL

#10 Oct 16, 2008
my life is the some because my mother is on drug and you to get the child away form that miss
Melinda

Canton, MS

#11 Nov 6, 2008
Have you ever been to The Lovelady Center? There are so many mothers who are really trying to get their life right and restore the relationship with their child. It is very sad for those mothers that don't do what they are suppose to but please come and see all the mothers who are, don't judge from the one there are hundreds.
barbara wood wrote:
i think no child should have to be subjected to be put in the same situation their mother is in. there is no place for a child around a bunch of so called recovering addicts. i hate the very thought of it. i have a daughter there and i know she is not doing as she's surposed to be doing nor will she ever . to bad folks like her give ya'll such a bad name. She talks about how bad it is there and how easy it is to get drugs anytime they want and how they sneak out at night. some mom huh .Why not leave the children out of it.
Unknown

Canton, MS

#12 Nov 6, 2008
I first want to start by letting everyone know; I am a graduate from The Lovelady Center. For me, The Lovelady Center restored my relationship with God. I never knew how wonderful my life could be until I met Jesus. And God took me to The Lovelady Center to sit me down so I could start my foundation with him. I truly learned alot regarding my relationship with Christ there. Then, God and The Lovelady Center restored my relationship with all three of my children. I did not have custody of my children upon entering the center but, the center gave me the strength to keep pushing on until Oct. 2007; I regain custody back of my three wonderful children. Today, I am a Christian! I have a work full time job and take part time classes at a community college close by. Also I have a home with my three children. So, I just want to let you all know that God does live at The Lovelady Center and that is where I found him. I am very sorry for all the people that do not agree and how this site sounds alot of people do not but, if you would just stop judging and let God work. People get save their everyday and the owners of The Lovelady Center are God sent Ladies of Christ. May God Bless them all and the center!
Michelle

Canton, MS

#13 Nov 6, 2008
Wow, What horabile things to say about a place that changes peoples lives daily. A place that restores mothers and children. I was a child brought up in a home that was not the best. What my brothers and i would have given to have our mother go to a place like The Lovelady Center. A safehaven from abuse that she ran from for 8years from our so called step father.When all she need to do was run to the arms of JESUS. A place to raise her children and know everything would be ok. A home to know for certian her children would have a warm mill on there stomachs each night. This breaks my heart to here all these visious right out lies about The Lovelady Center. I feel sorry for these bitter people who have nothing to do but slander a place that helps so many woman and children. A place that God put together. But what dwells on the inside and is in your heart is what comes out. So you are just showing who you really are.
clean4life

Canton, MS

#14 Nov 6, 2008
Wow, I am blown away at some of the things that were said in this comment. The Lovelady Center is an awesome place and has a ton to offer. The last thing the center is is money hungry. There are many residents right now that reside at the center that cant and dont pay fees and they still allow them to live here because thats what they do. Of course it is nice for clients to live here and pay the fee that is asked so that the staff may be able to pay the bills they have.$130 a week is nothing to ask for considering they provide food, shelter, transportation and a program that can change your life. Where in the world can you live for that amount and have all you have here. If they kicked out half the ladies due to fees this place would be less than half full, so money hungry is a little much. I went through the program and it was the best thing that has happen to my life. I cant explain the "blonde" girl that didnt get kicked out, but I can say that they are a ministry and they do give people grace. People come to the center with nothing and the staff opens their hearts to them to give love likethey never had and it is true friendship not fake. If your experience was that bad at the center I am sure you are headed for no good or were just not ready to get your life right. I wish you the best but please know that when you post something about a place the God opened there is major consequences from him and I would hate to be on the recieving end of that. some ladies come with a
doesnt matter wrote:
i was at the lovelady center and people just dont know what they are getting themselves in to, yes when they first opened i believe it was to lead people to The Lord, but now i know for a fact that it is just a money hungry family who in fact does not give a flip about 85% of those girls and women in there. If you are not one of the families picks you can just hang it up, that family will not lift a finger to help you out unless you have got money or you know someone who can give a enormous amount of a donation ($), they get food stamps on just about 95% of those women and children and turn around and sell food to the residents out of the diner when the actual food the residents eat is donated, NOW WHAT IS THAT? Most of those women cant afford to buy anything because The Lovelady is going to make sure they get most of the womens check when they do go to work, 130.00 a week that includes transportation regardless if you even use it or not, IT IS A VERY CROOKED PLACE, the government needs to be checking into this, there is more drugs in there than on the street and it is in there right NOW and it makes me sick that the women who are struggling have to tolerate this mental abuse when it should be a zero tolerance place. They should also cut some slack on the money thing if in fact someone is not using the transportation, they still drove those ladies around with bad brakes which almost cost some women their lives when in fact the had the money to fix the things it is awful that they preach about not being gay also but they have staff members that are living together right now but they want to be little people for being themselves and being who they are, now how hypocritic is that??????????
Melinda

Canton, MS

#15 Nov 6, 2008
For the life of me I can't think of who you are talking about when you speak of a mother of three we kicked out. I believe i know everyone that has been dismissed (considering I dismiss most of them) and can't recall a mother of three being dismissed over anything much less over a he said she said situation, we don't dismiss over stuff like that, if you were here for close to a year then you must know it takes alot(more than it should, grace is ever abundant here)to get dismissed. As you must of heard us say a hundred times, truth always comes to light, so to see you wrote truth does not matter to us is far from the truth, I truly hate you feel like you do. Our goal and my prayer is when clients leave here they leave with the peace, love, and confidence that God has for them. Please email me direct, though there is nothing i can do about the past, we strive here everyday to be better, and would like the opprotunity to hear facts to help make things better here for the next client and if at all possible would like to make things better for you.(mmegahee@loveladycenter.o rg)

God Bless,
Melinda- Assist Director
(i am not from Dallas, don't know why it says that, i am from Birmingham, AL
andrea wrote:
I am also here to tell you. To start with don't nobody need to listen to Shannon. Cause she is one of dem kiss ass in there. She gets what she wants, when she wants it, even if it gets someone in trouble. I was there for almost a year. And I can vouch that "doesn't matter", is telling the truth. This place, first gets people in, with a smiling face, and nice voice, and then if you don't kiss ass, your out. I know of a woman right now, that got kicked out with her 3 kids, because of he said she said stuff.
LINDA

Canton, MS

#17 Nov 7, 2008
I am Appaled @ what all these negative people are saying about the Lovelady center.... I Have lived in 3 different states and ended up doing time in all 3, It wasn't until i arrived @ the lovelady center that i found true Peace and happiness not to mention TRUE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE......God is so real in here.This place is far from being anything like a prison..TRUST ME I KNOW....women here have alot of freedom. And for them to say it is all about moneyis so not true.... everyone who ever been here knows the real truth we are a struggling ministry but god will make a way. he always does.AND THE TRUTH REMAINS THE SAME THE LOVELADY CENTER IS AN AWESOME PLACE 3DIFFERENT STATE'S AND 3 DIFFERENT STATE PRISONS LATER I FINALLY FOUND TRUE PEACE HAPPINESS AND FREEDOM @ THE LOVELADY CENTER...
SHERYL

Canton, MS

#18 Nov 7, 2008
I HAVE BEEN HERE 2 YEARS AM NOT ON ANY PROGRAM OR PAROLE OR PROBATION I NEVER WOULD OF MADE IT THIS FAR HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR MY HIGHER POWER AND THE LOVELADY CENTER...MS.BRENDA AND MS.MELINDA HAS SHOWN ME SO MUCH LOVE IT IS AN AWESOME FEELING.BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE ABLE TO SHARE MY TESTIMONY WITH WOMEN WHO NEEDED TO KNOW THAT HELP IS AVAILABLE IF YOU REALLY WANT IT AND HERE AT THE LOVELADY CENTER THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.WE STRIVE TO HELP ONE ANOTHER AND ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER. IT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO CHOOSE TO DO RIGHT OR WRONG.MUCH LOVE AND GRATITUDE GOES OUT TO GOD AND THE LOVELADY CENTER.....................
Believer in Jesus and TLC

Ashville, AL

#19 Nov 9, 2008
doesnt matter wrote:

It saddens me to know that people constantly express negativity about this facility. This facility was established by Ms. Brenda through the guidance of our Lord. Ms. Brenda, her family and staff at TLC tries to help each woman that enters this program. They offer a foundation for the women to build a relationship with God, they offer resources for these women to turn from a life on the streets to a sucessful , responsible life with their children and their families. I have personally watched them work tirelessly to reunite women with their children, to work with the courts on fines, warrants,and other legal matters to relieve the stress off of these ladies so that they may focus on thier recovery. They help them to regain their license. Of course, it is ultimately up to the women to chose which road they want to journey on. Sad to say some are just not ready to give up their previous lifestyles. However, I assure you that if you check with the many other drug treatment facilities in this state you will see they have some of the same circumstances of people who sneak out, bring drugs into their facility. There is a zero-tolerance for this type of behavior. Ms. Brenda nor members of her staff will allow someone to jeopardize the safety of the women and children here nor will they tolerate someone jeopardizing the recovery of those that truly want it. Ultimately, I'm sure if all information of those with negative opinions could be printed here you could better understand why their opinion is negative. True addict behavior is to not except responsibilty for ones actions and to blame others for all that happens in ones life. For $130.00 a week, the women get a place to sleep, electricity, water, food, transportation, and cable t.v. I'm not sure about the rest of you but my household expenses total well over $520.00 a month. I hope that God continues to bless those that dedicate their lives to helping others become respectable members of society. I understand that Ms. Brenda cannot help all that comes through her doors at TLC but I watch her apply every effort possible because this is what God leads her to do.
stashia

Jasper, AL

#20 Nov 12, 2008
judy wrote:
I think that the program lacks supervision, if one can sneak out and obtain drugs, it is the fault of the owners, those poor 200 children living at such a place....
I live at the lovelady and let me say this is a wonderful place for women and their children. This is Gods house and the blessings are abundant. It hurts me to hear such judgemental statements, we will all be praying for you. Maybe you should come see for yourself.
stashia

Jasper, AL

#21 Nov 12, 2008
I live at the Lovelady Center and would like to tell everyone what a wonderful place it is. Lovelady is the Lord's house. When I first walked in the door, I felt more love and comfort than ever before in my 33 years. I love where I leave, it is awesome. I love the Lord Jesus and finally feel free. All the children love our home, please do not judge something you dont understand or know about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Skype fettishes 12 hr 26 m guy 3
Horny female;) 12 hr 26 m guy 4
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 hr No Justice 20,064
News OSHA proposes $192,350 in penalties after inspe... (Mar '09) Sat love to work at ntn 11
News Shrimp Basket opens its first Birmingham restau... Jul 2 Iamangttia 1
Any Horney ladys to night Jul 1 Tom 3
Lonnie Garrett Jul 1 Curious 1
More from around the web

Birmingham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Birmingham Mortgages