New Stricter Teen Curfew Approved

New Stricter Teen Curfew Approved

There are 15 comments on the WVTM-TV Birmingham story from Aug 21, 2008, titled New Stricter Teen Curfew Approved. In it, WVTM-TV Birmingham reports that:

After weeks of wrangling over changes to the curfew law, Birmingham's City Council has finally come to an agreement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVTM-TV Birmingham.

kayla

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2008
this ain't right every body shouldnt have to suffer because someones else wrong doing if thats the case then the person who let that 16 yr old boy in the club should b fined and b taken to jail
with this curfew it takes awa the joy of life...
its seems like prison... think about it... people gone do what they wanna do regardless.... so stop this curfew jive..
Michelle

Cullman, AL

#2 Aug 24, 2008
kayla wrote:
this ain't right every body shouldnt have to suffer because someones else wrong doing if thats the case then the person who let that 16 yr old boy in the club should b fined and b taken to jail
with this curfew it takes awa the joy of life...
its seems like prison... think about it... people gone do what they wanna do regardless.... so stop this curfew jive..
See Kalya you are thinging like a teenager would, its not just that one crime, its more than one.Kids and teenagers 17 and under think that are to grown. This new curfew should give thema wake up call saying " hey im not grown as i think i am" This curfew is a brillant idea more lives will be saved and teens grades will go up. and if people know they have to pay a 500 dollar fine and go to jail, theyw ill stop. I know i refuse to pay 500 just people my teenage wants to go have fun. he or she can have fun during they day if they cant tehy better learn. Plus! there is more to life then just goin in the streets, and clubbing.
Michelle

Cullman, AL

#3 Aug 24, 2008
I think teh Curfew is a brilliant i idea i would request harsher punishment if a teen violates this law.
Shae

United States

#4 Sep 15, 2008
I think that the curfew is helpful because children shouldn't be on the street at any time of the night. But the teenagers can still do the usual crimes but at an earlier time of the day!!! Everyone shoulnt be punished for such behavior but its for the best! Im a teenager, 16 years old and im for whatever keeps me out of harms way! Im saying that people can do crimes in the day light also. But if the council and etc feel as if the curfew is powerful then so be it!!!!!
Ben G

Birmingham, AL

#5 Sep 16, 2008
Ridiculous.

Let Parents set the rules for their kids, and let teenagers live like real US citizens. If this affected all residents, it would be martial law.
Kenshata

Birmingham, AL

#6 Sep 17, 2008
I stay in West End but since the closed down West End high everything has been out of control Lawanda then Brandon all of us is dying and killing each other very slowly so i think it is a good idea after 11p.m only because I love my life
Devin

Birmingham, AL

#7 Oct 3, 2008
This curfew is BULL. The parents should decide when their kid's curfew is not the city. And becides its not that the 10 o'clock on weekdays and 12 o'clock weekends curfew was not working, its that the cops weren't enforcing it! why lower the curfew for all teens when its the cops fault and not doing their job to enforce it? im not trying to bash on cops or anything im just saying. also what about schools that have FALL BREAK? thats not a city holiday so we still have to be in by nine? That is not fair at all. i say FU(K this new curfew law. personally id choose to go back to the old law. 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekends and actually have the cops enforce it maybe, now thats somewhat more reasonable. Or else just leave the curfew alone, but i can almost garentee that it wont last for long. teens will just get fed up with this $H!t and completely ignor it. then more and more fines and jail time. teens will be more rebellious than before then soon the cops will just give it up and not enforce it so much. and then look where we are. we are right back where we started. AND yes some people might say that im talking a teen. well i am. im a 17 year old teenager. and i can say whatever the hell i want to say. so screw you older people who THINK they how it is, because you dont. you dont have a clue how it is. you say that you have gone through the same thing when you havent. times have changed. nothing is the same.

P.S.
I think that almost every teenager will agree with me on this point...
Tori

Warrior, AL

#8 Nov 9, 2008
Ok im a 16 y/o so you would expect me 2 say the same thing. Yeah, I admitt at first i was like this just doesn't make any since but now i finally understand. It's only to protect us. Many teens will not understand the last minute when one of there friends has been shot or killed and thats sad. But at the same time i still see this from a teen perspective, kids are kids and if they'll do it at 11:00 what makes you think that they want do it at 6:00 or 7:00??? I mean what makes Birmingham think that violence has a certain specific time to happen??!!!?? I think that the curfew is great but the only problems is that things just may start to happen a little earlier than usual.
lIZ

Dallas, TX

#9 Nov 12, 2008
WELL I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS LAW BECAUSE IS NOT OUR FUALT OTHERS TEENS BE COMMITING CRIMES.... PLUS I OWE 2 TICKETS AND HAVNT PAID THEM YET...I GOT ONE 4 BEING OUTSIDE MY HOUSE WITH SOME FRIENDS AT 1:00 A.M. N WE WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING BAD... ANOTHER WHEN I WAS ON MY WAY HOME AT 2:30 A.M. COMING 4M MY AUNTS HOUSE....IS JUST NOT FAIR...I WOULD UNDERSTAND IF I WAS DRINKING, DRIVING WITHOUT A LISCENSE OR INSURANCE. PLUS I HAVE PERMISSION BY MY PARENTS AND MY CURFEW IS AT 2:30 A.M. I THINK PARENTS SHOULD SET THE LAWS....
Rochrider

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Nov 13, 2008
Ben G wrote:
Ridiculous.
Let Parents set the rules for their kids, and let teenagers live like real US citizens. If this affected all residents, it would be martial law.
Hey Ben, I'm originally from Birmingham and I have to say, the curfew is actually a good idea. You mention letting parents set rules for their kids. Well, if they did, this wouldn't be an issue. I now live in Rochester, NY and we recently implemented a curfew. Granted, there has been a lot of flack and complaining about it but at the end of the day, it clearly has cut down on crime and the number of murders and attacks. Perhaps, if all the ghood kids got together and approached the hoodlums that are causing problems, we could all do away with the curfew. It's not right to punich everyone for one or two bad kids' behavior but if it makes the community better overall, then we all need to compromise!

Since: Sep 08

Birmingham, AL

#11 Nov 13, 2008
The curfew is an excellent idea. It seems that too many of today's parents aren't keeping their kids as close to home as they should- especially at night. There's absolutely no reason a minor needs to be out all hours of the night- unless he or she is working.

Allowing kids to run loose is why so many of them end up raped, missing or dead. It's why so many of them are doing the raping, robbing, and killing that we hear about in the news.

Kids, go home and eat dinner with Mom and/or Dad.
A Parent

New York, NY

#12 Jul 21, 2010
Devin wrote:
This curfew is BULL. The parents should decide when their kid's curfew is not the city. And becides its not that the 10 o'clock on weekdays and 12 o'clock weekends curfew was not working, its that the cops weren't enforcing it! why lower the curfew for all teens when its the cops fault and not doing their job to enforce it? im not trying to bash on cops or anything im just saying. also what about schools that have FALL BREAK? thats not a city holiday so we still have to be in by nine? That is not fair at all. i say FU(K this new curfew law. personally id choose to go back to the old law. 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekends and actually have the cops enforce it maybe, now thats somewhat more reasonable. Or else just leave the curfew alone, but i can almost garentee that it wont last for long. teens will just get fed up with this $H!t and completely ignor it. then more and more fines and jail time. teens will be more rebellious than before then soon the cops will just give it up and not enforce it so much. and then look where we are. we are right back where we started. AND yes some people might say that im talking a teen. well i am. im a 17 year old teenager. and i can say whatever the hell i want to say. so screw you older people who THINK they how it is, because you dont. you dont have a clue how it is. you say that you have gone through the same thing when you havent. times have changed. nothing is the same.
P.S.
I think that almost every teenager will agree with me on this point...
. You should spend the additional time at home learning how to spell. You sound like a delinquent with
your foul language... Your day will come punk!
Teen

Birmingham, AL

#13 Mar 28, 2012
Michelle wrote:
I think teh Curfew is a brilliant i idea i would request harsher punishment if a teen violates this law.
that's great.. Could be your kid that does that. Money outta your pocket. Maybe it should just be community service. And 1st amendment says we have the right to PEACEFULLY assemble. not causing harm or starting riots. No problem with walking around if your not doing anything wrong. I understand if someone looks suspicious and an officer pulls them over and there messed but but if there not, let them on there merry way

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#14 Mar 29, 2012
Wow... I like this.

Since: Apr 12

Hillsville, Va

#15 Apr 6, 2012
Sane Sum Beech wrote:
Wow... I like this.
Hi guy!!!!!! Hows the weather in Hillsville?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr south amboy 20,699
News Homewood police apologize to woman detained at ... Sat Kevin 1
Places for rent in Birmingham and surrounding c... Dec 1 Lookingforhome 1
News Is Obamacare working for anyone in Alabama in 2... Nov 17 ThomasA 2
church of satan Nov 16 ThomasA 3
Swingers clubs or groups? (Mar '16) Nov 6 Gross 5
My case for Gary Johnson Nov '16 Defektor 1

Birmingham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Birmingham Mortgages