Boy makes miracle recovery

Boy makes miracle recovery

There are 44 comments on the Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Oct 17, 2008, titled Boy makes miracle recovery. In it, Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Doctors and nurses at UNM Hospital say a 9-year-old who nearly died in an Alabama car accident has made a miracle recovery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sunny Delight

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Oct 17, 2008
You go Brody!
Doc Holiday

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Oct 17, 2008
United Way - Donor option - Carrie Tingley Hospital

Chandler, AZ

#3 Oct 17, 2008
What a wonderful ending to such a tragic beginning!! May God continue to bless the family!
My 2 Cents

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 17, 2008
Way to go, Brody!

The folks at Carrie Tingley Hospital are the best. Thank you for taking such good care of New Mexico's children.

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Oct 17, 2008
Way to go!!

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Oct 17, 2008
Way to hang in there buddy! Good for you!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#7 Oct 17, 2008
Way to go Brody!! May you have continued success with your total recovery!

I totally agree the staff at Carrie Tingley are the best. They cared for my daughter a few years ago and everyone was great!
Ervin Tsosie

Isleta, NM

#8 Oct 17, 2008
I can be a witness to the miracles which happen at Carrie Tingley Hospital. I am a recovering paraplegic. The reason is not only the great medical staff, but also the great spirit of the place. To the Brody family, listen for my prayers on the wind :-)
Miracles do happen

Portales, NM

#9 Oct 17, 2008
It is wonderful to hear such an inspiring story. Especially with everything the nation is experiencing. The stock market, elections, debates, NON of that matters. It is survival and faith that keeps us going !!!! You will be in my prayers for a very long time.

Yerington, NV

#10 Oct 17, 2008
You go Brody! Your an inspiration to us all. God Bless you
Aunt Gaylene

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Oct 17, 2008
There are so, so, so many people out there to thank. Channel 4 and Cris Ornelas, you have been God sends. Lifeguard, we can't thank you enough. Carrie Tingley, you are definitely THE BEST of the best. Brown-Minneapolis Tank (BMT) for all the support and help in raising funds to get Brody what he needed to come this far and for allowing Wendell to be there for Brody. Wendell and Annamaria are the strongest, most determined people I know besides Brody. They never did give up hope through it all. Brody has more will power than anyone and was always determined to keep going no matter what. All the people in Moriarty, teachers, classmates and the wonderful community, THANK YOU. And to all the others too numerous to mention that helped during this time with prayers and funds, etc. You are all angels on earth. But mostly, Thank You God!!!!
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Oct 17, 2008
And lets not forget Brody's mother and stepfather, and his grandmother, who have helped with their prayers and thoughts. God bless all of the family. My heart goes out to a precious mother who is hurting way more than people can imagine. Hang in there, mom. There is nothing like the love a mother and father have for their children. And just remember, God sees all, and knows all. Also, hang in there Grandma Beth and

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 17, 2008
Great job Brody! You are an amazing kid. Thank goodness for the wonderful people at Carrie Tingley. The nurses and Techs are amazing and are the reason that our children can come back just like Brody did. We would not have my daughter if they had not been there last year after her car accident. It is truely amazing the patience and attention that these people give our children. Brody is a special child he and every child like him make me remember how fantastic life is every day. Thank God for such strong parents, Brody is truely blessed. Good luck on your future ventures and keep that sense of humor going! Thank Goodness for Brody!

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Oct 18, 2008
Fantastic news! I'm SO happy for Brody and his family! Best wishes for continued recovery!! You are a true inspiration.

Cedar Crest, NM

#15 Oct 19, 2008
I'm employee of Carrie Tingley for 10 years and more. I have seen so many miracles and many recoveries. Brody is one amazing kid he made every effort to recover from his accident, he has a good sense of humor. He has such caring parents and stayed strong for him all the way. Good luck Brody and "May God Bless You" and your Family. My prayers will always be with you.
Cousin Kristina

Santa Fe, NM

#16 Oct 19, 2008
I want to THANK the people who were actully there for my cousin, the one's who really helped him recover. His Father Wendel Upton is an amazing man to be able to stay strong for his son and his family, as well as his Step-mother AnnaMaria Costlow who have had done an amazing job with the situitation that has come across there path. The staff at UNM was amazing, his sitter Benny Chavez was a great help, THANK YOU SO MUCH BENNY you'r awsome! As always God does see all, and always takes care of his children. God Bless YOU Brody, Love ya Always & Forever!!!!!!

Florence, AL

#17 Oct 19, 2008
Best Wishes to Brody and Family and may God Bless.
Wendell Upton DAD

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Oct 19, 2008
On June 29, 2008 at 6:00 p.m, N.M. time I got a phonecall from the Southest Alabama Medical Center in Dothan, Alabama. Mr.Upton your 2 sons have been in a severe car accident, they are both in critical condition and your oldest son rippen is not expected to live through the nightat 11:38 p.m. I said my last goodbyes to my son over the phone as he passed. There were no flights leaving Albuquerque,Denver,Lubbock,Pho enix, or anywhereelse heading to Alabama or Florida until 4:00a.m. the following day. The accident happened at around 11:00a.m N.M. time but I did not get a call from the stepfather and had to be called by the hospital and missed any chance of getting out there to be there for my son, all because Tim Finnegan is a coward, and my ex-wife Crystal is a self absorbed flake, and baby killer. You asked me after the accident Crystal (Do I blame you for this?) The answer is yes!! YOU DID THIS!! Then you abandoned your other child again when he needed you the most(just like always) you had nothing to do with his recovery and you chose to be with your husband back in Gorgia rather than to help your son through the most difficult time of his life. A lot of people have said it already (GOD KNOWS ALL AND SEES ALL) but dont worry he wont see you , you would have to be human first!!!!!!!!!!
Me Again

Montgomery, AL

#19 Oct 20, 2008
God be with you and your family brody.
Cousin Kristina

Santa Fe, NM

#21 Oct 21, 2008
Ok, jealousy??? What in the world does Wendell have to be jealous of??? Nothing at all, and as for hatred Wendell has every right to have any type of hatred towards Crystal and Tim. Crystal has abandoned her son's several times in the past and still seems to do the same things yet again. If she hasn't abandoned her son then why hasn't she been there for Brody??? A greiving mother would have been by there child's side every waking moment and the times in between NO MATTER WHAT. Wendell does give his son ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE WORLD. Unlike Crystal who has called her son retarted, now what kind of Mother does that to their child? As for Tim Finnegan who is NOT a Black Hawk Pilot, he is only a Wheel mechanic on the Black Hawk's. Wendell does NOT recieve any hand outs from anybody, he works his ass off to provide for his Family.Now on the other hand while Wendell is working to provide for his Family Crystal is sitting at home reciveing welfare for two that aren't even in her care. Wendell doesn't need anybody's pitty!!! AnnaMaria has every right to be concerned about Brody's health and well being, she has been there EVERYDAY of Brody's recovery and even before the accident.The lawyers that crystals has are the highest paying lawyer's. So how do you figure that she is stuck with a slugish one???? She's the one that picked him! Also let's not forget the other 19 people who were injured in this accident. As for the memorial the Mother who didn't even have the courage to tell the Father she was having a Merorial for Rippen back in Gerogia. And let's also let it be known that the Mother wont even help to pay for any part of the funeral for Rippen, but does want half of any donations that were collected by the public for the recovery of Brody and anything need to assit in the funeral for Rippen. Now what kind of Mother is that????? Nobody has to tell Brody that his Mother tried to kill him, he'll figure that out on his own. Get YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!
cops kid wrote:
I am appalled at the hatred and jealousy of Brody's father at time like this. All the above people have nothing but good to say, and hope for Brody. Where is his encouragement for his son?
As for Tim Finnegan being a coward, I have a hard time seeing this. He is a black hawk helicopter pilot, and has served 2 years in Iraq. What have you done, other than sit and receive welfare and handouts from people who feel sorry for you.
As for AnnaMarie Costlow, who is NOT married to Wendall and therefor NOT Brody's stepmother, what rights does she have where Brody is concerned?
As for Crsytal abandoning her children, again you have it wrong. She has been denied her children by a selfish slug with a crooked lawyer. She has been locked in a custody battle for 2-3 years. I would not call that abandoning them. And no, she is not a baby killer, but you would paint her badly anyway you could for your own selfish reasons.
How about a Dad that has not even let Brody's mom know when the memorial for Rippen is going to be? What kind of father is that?
What are you going to tell Brody, that his mom tried to kill him, but missed?
Also, I don't think Tim would stoop so low as to call you a coward on the internet. Some people have class, apparently some don't.
If only the people knew the OTHER side of the story!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can't defend Trump 2 hr Voter 18
the music thread (Apr '12) 4 hr Musikologist 25
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Tyrone Abdul Carp 21,489
News Search on for missing Jasper teen (Aug '11) Sun Painboi 4
Getting water out of your trunk. My @$$ Mar 15 Taller than you 1
Time for Big Cuts to Entitlements Mar 15 ThomasA 80
new bible announcement Mar 15 Dennis of The Bible 1

Birmingham Jobs

Personal Finance

Birmingham Mortgages