Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit F...

Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit Filed Against Winn-Dixie

There are 113 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit Filed Against Winn-Dixie. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

A lawsuit has been filed accusing Winn-Dixie of discriminating against blacks in its check acceptance policies at its supermarkets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

“its a plane, its a plane”

Since: Dec 07

jax for now

#87 Jan 21, 2008
EightyEight wrote:
<quoted text>
MOre open checkouts!!!? Are you crazy? The have 24 registers and only open six, and four of those are 20 or less items, then you get the dickheads who can't count standing in those lines. It's a f'ing joke!
well not arguing with you but try getting out of the 103rd store, they often only have 3 maybe 4 checkouts open......so in comparison the that store Normandy does have a few more open......I usually try and slip out the garden section as they tend to have less people down there.

Since: Jul 07

AOL

#88 Jan 21, 2008
what on earth wrote:
<quoted text>
well not arguing with you but try getting out of the 103rd store, they often only have 3 maybe 4 checkouts open......so in comparison the that store Normandy does have a few more open......I usually try and slip out the garden section as they tend to have less people down there.
All walmarts have a small number of lines open. never buy a whole lot of items at one time, so I either check out in electronics or sporting goods. A lot of people don't know that they can check out there.
JCC

Yulee, FL

#89 Jan 27, 2008
I am so happy someone has filed a lawsuit against WinnDixie. As of last week i now no longer will recommend Winn-Dixie on Ft Caroline Road and on Normandy BLVD because the staff and some employees are racist, discriminate and are total liars. Some of the Black employees treat the white ones horrible like in this case.
I hope WinnDixie goes byebye
retail queen

Gadsden, AL

#90 Jul 8, 2008
unfortunately the world has uncivilized people. Those uncivilized people shop in our stores... and get jobs in our stores. And A lot of the problem is self righteous, arrogant, close minded customers, in any retail environment. stop bashing companies and think about the rules you have to follow at your own job...then think maybe other companies have policy's they have to follow as well. So instead of causing a huge scene in a store...stop an listen to what the associate has to say and how they try an help. If they're is an issue that needs to be addressed, tell the mgr. Comments that have been made are very disrespectful to those who do work very hard in the grocery business to make customers happy.
someone from the inside

Gadsden, AL

#91 Jul 8, 2008
this is not a case of racism. the customer was black, the cashier was black, the mgr was black. it is a simple case of store mgr discretion. The company has the right to refuse any check in dealing whats best for the company.
NotAddingUp

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#92 Jul 8, 2008
Just goes to show you, If your white anything you say or do can be held against you if it's toward blacks, I personally was in line at the Winn Dixie on Dunn Ave when a black lady was turned down on a 200+ purchased because she already had a bounced check there, she raised hell and said she was being profiled..She should have never bounced a check of she should take care of what was outstanding... ohhhhhhhh but she was black so she was being discriminated against,,, bite me
The truth

United States

#93 Jul 8, 2008
Kimbi wrote:
The article does not state that they are not accepting checks because it has a high rate of bounced checks....just because you are in a black neighborhood doesn't mean that you are going to bounce a check. A black person can go to the white neighborhood and bounce a check and is that okay because he's in the white neighborhood and a white person can go to a black neighborhood and bounce a check as well????
I tell you all that you are some racist people on here...I've read comments on here for the last month of so and you are just as bad as a black person that wants to run with the race card every chance they get...you all bash blacks the first chance you get! I'm black and I don't fall into that category...I'm hard working, law-abiding citizen that lives in a nice neighborhood and don't look for a hand out from any one! I work for all the things that my family and I want! There are low-class in every ethnicity!!! One everyone seem to understand that, this world would be a better...every thing is not about the black person!!!
The paper always omits the facts, so that they can stir the pot. What kind of story would it be if they wrote the truth and said "Winn Dixie Will No Longer Except Checks in Store with High Bounced Check Rate."

Cash is accepted everywhere and ATM/Debits cards work as well. Then of course, all these people would actually have to pay for their purchases instead of ripping the store off.
p rainwater

Atlanta, GA

#94 Jul 8, 2008
Kimbi wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks are law-abiding citizens as well! Not all blacks will contest to the end...you are generalizing and lumping all blacks into a one category!
I could careless about Al Sharpton finances because he does nothing for me.
negros are all in one category, by choice, hence the negro national anthem.

sharpton & jackson have been told by obama's handlers to keep their mouth shut until after the election.
NotAddingUp

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#95 Jul 9, 2008
JCC wrote:
I am so happy someone has filed a lawsuit against WinnDixie. As of last week i now no longer will recommend Winn-Dixie on Ft Caroline Road and on Normandy BLVD because the staff and some employees are racist, discriminate and are total liars. Some of the Black employees treat the white ones horrible like in this case.
I hope WinnDixie goes byebye
You will before they do. idiot.
Mary Smith

United States

#96 Jul 10, 2008
Well if any race bounces a bad checks alot then I wouldn't like them to write bad checks to my store. It is not a racial issue. It's a money issue. I don't blame Winn-Dixie.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#97 Jul 10, 2008
NotAddingUp wrote:
Just goes to show you, If your white anything you say or do can be held against you if it's toward blacks, I personally was in line at the Winn Dixie on Dunn Ave when a black lady was turned down on a 200+ purchased because she already had a bounced check there, she raised hell and said she was being profiled..She should have never bounced a check of she should take care of what was outstanding... ohhhhhhhh but she was black so she was being discriminated against,,, bite me
i loooooove being at publix at dunn ave and seeing all the sistas up there with thur hur did, thur nails did, all der gold on...and using their ebt card...oh god that pisses me off to no end..if someone truly needs help, i understand, such as elderly or disabled or what-not..but not lazy tricks who use having kids as a way to get a raise in their foodstamps and welfare. sell that gold in yo mouf, quit getting horse hair tracked into your hair and stop paying the asians to do your nails and toes and get off the rolls.
What if

United States

#98 Jul 10, 2008
scott1 wrote:
<quoted text>i loooooove being at publix at dunn ave and seeing all the sistas up there with thur hur did, thur nails did, all der gold on...and using their ebt card...oh god that pisses me off to no end..if someone truly needs help, i understand, such as elderly or disabled or what-not..but not lazy tricks who use having kids as a way to get a raise in their foodstamps and welfare. sell that gold in yo mouf, quit getting horse hair tracked into your hair and stop paying the asians to do your nails and toes and get off the rolls.
You expressed my thoughts exactly...but you are so much funnier in the way you express them...Good job.
Mark Chapman

Tampa, FL

#99 Sep 9, 2008
I think Winn Dixie is great. They always offer collard greens and watermelon to certain customers.
MorkFromOrk wrote:
If I owned two stores and both accept checks.
Store #1 gets 1% bounced checks
Store #2 gets 15% bounced checks
So, I tell store #2 not to accept any more checks.
Am I discriminating? YES
Is it RACIAL discrimination? NO
People in certain places have, what they consider, acceptable practices. I know, I work with some who think bouncing a check is a necessity "once in a while, like when I just gotta have those shoes." HUH?
Businesses have to protect themselves. I agree with Winn Dixie
Mark Chapman

Tampa, FL

#100 Sep 9, 2008
Winn Dixie always offers collard greens and watermelons to all the right customers. What is wrong with that. Hey sir, do you need some fried chicken and fruit punch to?
So What

Jacksonville, FL

#101 Sep 9, 2008
Winn Dixie is one up only on Food Lion. The place is generally stocked (and run with more than enough dark people) with food appealing to the "minority" society. As usual, the darkies are shooting themselves in their own feet again.

Anyway, checks are from the last century. Debit cards are FREE today, and the main reason people choose not to get the is so they can bounce checks, or get paid under he table. A bank account with debit card would make them show their income.

i don't take checks from anyone, and I don't care what color they are. Cash or debit or credit cards. Period.

if all stores stopped placating the check kiters, checkout time would be much faster.
Mark Chapman

Palm Harbor, FL

#103 Oct 16, 2008
IM GONNA GET ME A SHOTGUN AND SHOOT ME SOME WHITIEs

jax for now

#104 Oct 16, 2008
Mark Chapman wrote:
IM GONNA GET ME A SHOTGUN AND SHOOT ME SOME WHITIEs
bet I am a better shot with a better gun that you, you little fuckstick..........
equalityboy81

United States

#105 Oct 16, 2008
I know Winn-Dixie discriminated against gay employees back in the last 90's. Like the Yulee Winn-Dixie for instance. I don't know if they still do. I heard the one in Baldwin currently does.
Mark Chapman

Palm Harbor, FL

#106 Oct 16, 2008
what on earth, didn't you mean to say I am a better shot with a better gun than you, not that you, dumb ass. If your gonna make a comment, you should know the proper way to use that or than. Maybe you should change its a plane,its a plane, to "I give away HJ's, BJ's, and ZJ's.

jax for now

#107 Oct 17, 2008
Mark Chapman wrote:
what on earth, didn't you mean to say I am a better shot with a better gun than you, not that you, dumb ass. If your gonna make a comment, you should know the proper way to use that or than. Maybe you should change its a plane,its a plane, to "I give away HJ's, BJ's, and ZJ's.
well bless I spelt a word wrong, and your excuse for being such an azz wipe is what???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Selling my used tights, knickers and shoes. FETISH 1 hr indeedfishkate 1
tramadol 2 hr T-man15 3
News Martin Luther King Jr.'s Niece Reveals How Her ... 5 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Buffalojimmy 20,099
teen for adult fun birmingham uk 21 hr mark 5
females Aug 27 princess 1
Review: ArcCon Building Company, LLC. Aug 24 dan_jefferson305 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Birmingham Mortgages