Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit F...

Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit Filed Against Winn-Dixie

There are 113 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Local News - Discrimination Lawsuit Filed Against Winn-Dixie. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

A lawsuit has been filed accusing Winn-Dixie of discriminating against blacks in its check acceptance policies at its supermarkets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

izzy

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jan 18, 2008
they did accept his check just not for an unspecified amount above. ok. You know there is a sign posted that says they reserve the right to limit the amount any check can be written for...this sign is even in Publix not just WD...also the reason they give (posted in writting) is that their funds may be limited and not sufficient to include cashing checks such as payroll and personal check or for money over the amount of purchase.
As a business owner I would think that if they are in a high crime neighborhood (and I don't know that they are)regardless of the ethanicity - cash on hand is limited by frequent bank deposits/pick-ups to limit their liabliity and to help insure the saftey of their customers. The other choice is to close the store - then you have a segment of the population who does not have access to medicine/pharmacy and to grocery - keeping in mind that the people hurt by that would be the poor and the elderly who have limited resources and mobility. So think this through folks - its a bigger picture.

Since: Dec 07

Jax

#23 Jan 18, 2008
tony wrote:
how come whites never file stuff like this ...whites are law abiding citizens they know the rules ..blacks will always contest to the end when they don't get their way its discrimination..how come we haven't heard much about al sharptons finances in the last couple of weeks..
What the HELL world did YOU grow up in?
It's not white/black!!!!!
It's a fight between those who think they are owed something just for breathing and those who breathe hard going to work every day.

There are plenty of both in black and white wrappers.

The store has to do what it has to do considering the NEIGHBORHOOD, not the RACE of the clientelle.

IDIOT

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#24 Jan 18, 2008
what on earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should file the same bs suit with Wally world, as they will not or ever will put in the self serve counters in the 103 wally world, when I asked the manager about it, he all but laughed and said that theft was a big enough problem at the store as it was without giving them a free swipe at it as well......... This was all based on past performance and the level of theft from that store........period end.......I agree with winn dixie, after all THEY have the right to refuse our business period.........
the walmart on lem turner will not add the self check out lines either.
Angry

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#25 Jan 18, 2008
all this is about a stupid person trying to beat the system throwing the race card out there
for The two race pimps reverends, al the race pimp
sharpton and jesse the race pimp jackson, who have
nothing better to do than cause trouble,i am sick
to death off frivoluous law suits and this idiot
needs get off his or her ass and stop using the
Race card !!!!!
Do What

Raleigh, NC

#26 Jan 18, 2008
Go get a job, and skip the stupid suit.
Where do you think you would get more "bad checks", a more upscale area, or in the "hood".
Winn-Dixie is right on the money on this one!!!

Jax

#27 Jan 19, 2008
Angry wrote:
all this is about a stupid person trying to beat the system throwing the race card out there
for The two race pimps reverends, al the race pimp
sharpton and jesse the race pimp jackson, who have
nothing better to do than cause trouble,i am sick
to death off frivoluous law suits and this idiot
needs get off his or her ass and stop using the
Race card !!!!!
I agree with you. When the "race card" is used for stupid things like this, then it makes people scoff when REAL racism occurs. Kinda like the boy who cried wolf or Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling. When something REALLY happens people don't want to hear about it because race-baiters like Sharpton and Jackson have made a mockery of it.
B-man

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Jan 19, 2008
It's not racism, it's called trying to keep losses and fraud to a minimum. If this guy has time to compare business practices at two different stores, he should have time enough to shop at two different stores! Quit complaining and feeling discriminated against. Oh, and by the way I am caucasian and have relatives from South Africa. Some of them immigrated to the U.S. in previous years and and now have jobs and homes. They are caucasian and due to their country of origin, can claim to be African-American. I am so sick of a certain group of people calling themselves African-American as a crutch. That title is a geographic reference, not an inference of skin color. If you want to falsely accuse Winn-Dixie of racism, just say they discriminate against blacks. As a white African-American I just wanted to put in my two cents. Let the whining begin.....
tony

United States

#30 Jan 19, 2008
Kimbi wrote:
<quoted text>
Blacks are law-abiding citizens as well! Not all blacks will contest to the end...you are generalizing and lumping all blacks into a one category!
I could careless about Al Sharpton finances because he does nothing for me.
all blacks are the same..they'll use their crutch til the termintes completely devour it...which will never happen..

Jax

#31 Jan 19, 2008
tony wrote:
<quoted text>all blacks are the same..they'll use their crutch til the termintes completely devour it...which will never happen..
Ya know, you MIGHT have something important to say. Now you've just blown any inkling of credibility you MIGHT have had.

But that's ok, now the rest of us know to ignore you so you see? Your statement DID serve a purpose.
Redskins Fan

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#32 Jan 19, 2008
tony wrote:
<quoted text>all blacks are the same..they'll use their crutch til the termintes completely devour it...which will never happen..
HA HA ! this is a waste of life !

Location hidden

#33 Jan 19, 2008
B-man wrote:
It's not racism, it's called trying to keep losses and fraud to a minimum. If this guy has time to compare business practices at two different stores, he should have time enough to shop at two different stores! Quit complaining and feeling discriminated against. Oh, and by the way I am caucasian and have relatives from South Africa. Some of them immigrated to the U.S. in previous years and and now have jobs and homes. They are caucasian and due to their country of origin, can claim to be African-American. I am so sick of a certain group of people calling themselves African-American as a crutch. That title is a geographic reference, not an inference of skin color. If you want to falsely accuse Winn-Dixie of racism, just say they discriminate against blacks. As a white African-American I just wanted to put in my two cents. Let the whining begin.....
i detest the term african american as an all inclusive term for black folk. like you said, if you immigrated from africa, then you are african american, regardless of color. hell, im of irish descent, but im not irish-american, im a freaking american!

Location hidden

#34 Jan 19, 2008
tony wrote:
if you say all blacks are worthless and lazy then you better say all white people are hillbillies or trailer trash...thats the logic your statement has. you really should think twice or count to 10 before you type something. think about how idiotic you sound first.

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

#35 Jan 19, 2008
Thank you to all of you that realize that not all black people use the "race card". I am a black woman and I work hard for what I have. I own my own home and pay my bills on time (without any assistance). Yes, times get hard, but I don't go around bouncing checks to get by.

Seeing some of the comments posted here is very disappointing. I thought that we had come furthur than this concerning race realtions. I guess I'm living in a fantasy world! Special thanks to Mork and Scott1 for taking a stand against the ignorance! It gives me some hope to see that there are some who have common sense.
william

Taylorsville, NC

#36 Jan 19, 2008
what on earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should file the same bs suit with Wally world, as they will not or ever will put in the self serve counters in the 103 wally world, when I asked the manager about it, he all but laughed and said that theft was a big enough problem at the store as it was without giving them a free swipe at it as well......... This was all based on past performance and the level of theft from that store........period end.......I agree with winn dixie, after all THEY have the right to refuse our business period.........
Your comments about Walmart are interesting...I congratulate you that you were able to talk to a real live manager...the "managers" at the Walmart store I often go to on "Beach Blvd @ Soutside Blvd" are always hiding in their offices and will not come out and show their face.
This Beach Blvd location Wal-mart has the "self" check-outs but the "newer" Wal-mart at Philips and Emerson do NOT have self cheak out.
It will be interesting to see if the NEWEST Wal-mart, "soon" to be open at Beach and Hodges (high income area) will have "self" check-outs.
Bet they do...
Wish Bone

AOL

#37 Jan 19, 2008
I'm white and had a cold a couple of years ago..a bad one.. I stopped at Premier Foords on Beaver St. to get some cold medicine because that was the closest place at the time..I was asked,,,Do you know this is a store for black folks? I said I knew it was black owned, but I didn't know it was limited to black customers. The clerk said, I just wanted to make sure you knew b4 u came in.

Now what was that about? Should I have sued? Would Al Sharpton have come to my aid?
who cares

Jacksonville, FL

#38 Jan 19, 2008
I spend over 200.00 a week in Winn Dixie. I'm white I shop in a mostly white area. I have been told I could not write a check over the amount. Am I races. NO I just go on with my business.
Redskins Fan

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#39 Jan 19, 2008
Wish Bone wrote:
I'm white and had a cold a couple of years ago..a bad one.. I stopped at Premier Foords on Beaver St. to get some cold medicine because that was the closest place at the time..I was asked,,,Do you know this is a store for black folks? I said I knew it was black owned, but I didn't know it was limited to black customers. The clerk said, I just wanted to make sure you knew b4 u came in.
Now what was that about? Should I have sued? Would Al Sharpton have come to my aid?
No but you have O' Reilly and Bush !

UUUGGGGHHH ! You went into premier...I hope you also didnt buy any meat from their......Im glad they closed down.
James

Jacksonville, FL

#40 Jan 19, 2008
When will this country wake up and put a stop to all of these stupid frivolous lawsuits??

“its a plane, its a plane”

jax for now

#41 Jan 19, 2008
william wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comments about Walmart are interesting...I congratulate you that you were able to talk to a real live manager...the "managers" at the Walmart store I often go to on "Beach Blvd @ Soutside Blvd" are always hiding in their offices and will not come out and show their face.
This Beach Blvd location Wal-mart has the "self" check-outs but the "newer" Wal-mart at Philips and Emerson do NOT have self cheak out.
It will be interesting to see if the NEWEST Wal-mart, "soon" to be open at Beach and Hodges (high income area) will have "self" check-outs.
Bet they do...
the main reason I could grab him is that he actually a friend of my daughter and has been to our house on several occasions.......not quite so sure that I would have had any success if that was NOT the case.

The other thing I heard about the wally world on 103rd is that they are seriosuly considering shutting it at 10pm due to the gangs trying to hang out there and be a pain in the butt.......which I find really odd, they will shut a shop due to the idiotic few rather than address the actions of those few.
No Comment

Jacksonville, FL

#42 Jan 19, 2008
If this Davis guy filing the suit is allowed to writea check at the white neighborhood store, then it's not discrimination.

The policy in the black neighborhood applies to everyone, white and black. A white guy can't go in and write a check over his purchase.

The policy in the white nieghbohood applies evenly too-anybody can write a check over the amount, including Mr. Blacky.

Therefore, it is consistant and I predict this will be the findings of the court. It is not discriminatory-it is the act of each individucal store manager choosing how to run his store and it is being aplied to all patrons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birmingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
females Thu princess 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Thu Mother Mcreeeeee 20,096
tramadol Wed T-man15 1
News U.S. Steel to permanently close some operations... Tue clarity 7
Review: ArcCon Building Company, LLC. Aug 24 dan_jefferson305 1
Horny female;) Aug 23 Daniel1211 7
34ddLadyx VS Matt (Feb '15) Aug 23 Daniel1211 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Birmingham Mortgages