County Police Force Considered For Berks

Full story: WFMZ 7
Police work is a topic some people in Berks County are weighing-in on Tuesday night as the county looks at merging police departments. Full Story
Bill

Louisville, KY

#1 Sep 23, 2009
Maybe we should focus on putting judges in office who actually put criminals in jail rather than simply doing the we can help them liberal thought process. Also it's time to clean out death row, I'll open the first valve to put one of the animals sitting in there on my dime to death.
Very concerned neighbor

Kutztown, PA

#2 Sep 23, 2009
Why was there no news on the over TWELVE (12) state police on Poplar Road in Fleetwood yesterday morning/afternoon...this is what I want to know!!!!!!!!!! Heard is was a Robbery with men running!!!!!
Ridiculous

Reading, PA

#3 Sep 23, 2009
Bill wrote:
Maybe we should focus on putting judges in office who actually put criminals in jail rather than simply doing the we can help them liberal thought process. Also it's time to clean out death row, I'll open the first valve to put one of the animals sitting in there on my dime to death.
AMEN - I am with you on that. Imagine how much this state could save if they start knocking these idiots off. You have my vote!!
_Anonymous

Allentown, PA

#4 Sep 23, 2009
You guys missed what Kent Shuebrock said though. "If I had 50 officers, 60 officers I can make traffic officers who can improve your roads on a full time basis not an hour here and hour there." So if what you want is to be pulled over every single time you inadvertently go more than 5mph over the speed limit, then by all means... support this heavy-handed measure. The way I see it, there are already more traffic police than necessary. I do agree with you guys that we need to actually police and punish criminals. But then again, putting a drug dealer in jail doesn't MAKE money, does it? And you know what does... traffic law.
realist

Lodi, CA

#5 Sep 23, 2009
Traffic tickets don't make money. On the average ticket,$25 is fine money, half of which goes to the municipality. The remaining about $80 is costs to the STATE. It takes on average about 15 minutes to stop someone and issue the ticket. That is 4 in an hour - or about $50 to the municipality. When you look at the cost of the officer's salary (with benefits) being at least 2/3 of the cost, and add in the cost of the car he is driving in with insurance and maintenance, you can bet that there is little if any money made on writing those tickets.

I know. I retired from the "system". Cops writing traffic tickets are really collecting taxes for the state.
_Anonymous

Allentown, PA

#6 Sep 23, 2009
Realist, I was referring to the state when I mentioned the money being made. Municipalities do stand to make a little money, but you're absolutely right - the state makes out like a bandit every time.

But the point still stands that police writing tickets are generating more money for the department/borough/county than police who are out looking for actual crime. And this plan intends to make that money by increasing the number of traffic police and by the nature of that fact, increasing the number of traffic offenses penalized.
I can see it now

Kutztown, PA

#7 Sep 24, 2009
I wanna be chief!!!(all the different municipality police chiefs and assistants.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Birdsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mountain lion in Honey Brook Oct 7 Bikerchick 1
McGlinn Cancer Center at Reading Hospital Sep 24 Anonymous 1
WEEU Feedback Show Sep '14 Anonymous 1
State Judge Gives Green Light To Proposed Race ... (Jul '09) Aug '14 Josh realname 26
Water Woes: Controversy at Birdsboro's Water Me... (Dec '08) Apr '14 new birdsboro hom... 284
Review: Donny's Electrical And Hvac Inc (Sep '13) Mar '14 John H 2
L. Harrison Paving (Sep '10) Feb '14 Linda Slater 2

Birdsboro News Video

Birdsboro Dating
Find my Match

Birdsboro Jobs

Birdsboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Birdsboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Birdsboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]