Dave Rossie and school districts

Posted in the Binghamton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Einstein

Germany

#1 Mar 25, 2013
PSB dinosaur Dave Rossie thinks merging only two school districts in Broome County is enough!!!

There are 12 districts in Broome County:

District Name Central Office Grades Served School Count
... Binghamton School District Binghamton PK-12, UE, US 10
Chenango Forks School District Binghamton PK-12 4
Chenango Valley School District Binghamton PK-12 4
Deposit School District Deposit K-12, UE, US 2
Harpursville School District Harpursville PK-12, UE 2
Johnson City School District Johnson City K-12, US 4
Maine-Endwell School District Endwell K-12 4
Susquehanna Valley School District Conklin K-12 5
Union-Endicott School District Endicott K-12 7
Vestal School District Vestal K-12 7
Whitney Point School District Whitney Point PK-12 4
Windsor School District Windsor K-12 4

All for only 31,000 (thirty-one thousand) students!!! It is ridiculous.

Keep in mind each school district has a whole host of administrators, many, many of them getting over $100,000 in salary plus benefits for life, in some case for their entire family for years and years. The super Superintendents get about $150,000. All on taxpayers.

There should be one or two school districts for the whole county.

* http://www.ne wyorksc...ies/broome.html

“Words are words are words.”

Since: Mar 13

Earth

#2 Mar 25, 2013
The OP didn't provide a link...

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/CB/20130...

The truth is that Rossie wrote things such as:

"I wish them well. Geography aside, I’m neutral on the issue."

"As for the outcome, wake me when it’s over."

Which is quite different than the false picture the OP tried to paint...
Jerry Garcia

Vestal, NY

#3 Mar 25, 2013
Who cares what Rossie thinks. The man used this area for living. His rants in the local pos paper were allowed because of the size of the area and they could not get a real writer here. Up to this point, we got along fine without having to hear about this idiot. Let's let him waste away in his so called retirement.

Earth

#5 Mar 25, 2013
I actually didn't think that little "article" was that bad... and it was more of a man on the street observation regarding the current talking of merging...

Btw...

I notice you're using the name Jerry Garcia... and while I know we've had a user in the area use that id before... I don't remember the individual being so um... passionate in regard to having such a negative view of the local papers / employees...

So the question is... are you the same person or just someone trolling using that name ?
Like Mumpkin

Netherlands

#8 Mar 26, 2013
Vallum wrote:
The OP didn't provide a link...
http://www.pressconnects.com/article/CB/20130...
The truth is that Rossie wrote things such as:
Which is quite different than the false picture the OP tried to paint...
While it is apparent you can read, comprehending what you read is another story.

If liberal hack Rossie thought we should be combining more districts, he should have wrote about it. Instead he chose to focus on just two schools.

It is obvious he thinks the merging of those two schools is enough.
Garo K

Bainbridge, NY

#9 Mar 26, 2013
Like Mumpkin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we have an estimate for what the combined budgets are from all these districts and thereby a cost per pupil for the 30,000 in the county?
If you insist on replying to your own posts Ed Arzouian you should at least change the wording around so you don't appear as pathetic as you actually are.
http://bcvoice.com/forums/index.php...

Earth

#10 Mar 26, 2013
Well folks...

It looks like one of our trolls has returned... lol !!!
Like Mumpkin wrote:
<quoted text>
While it is apparent you can read, comprehending what you read is another story.
If liberal hack Rossie thought we should be combining more districts, he should have wrote about it. Instead he chose to focus on just two schools.
It is obvious he thinks the merging of those two schools is enough.
Speaking of reading comprehension and contrary to your claims...

Rossi simply took note that an attempt at a merger was taking place... and did not take a stance on it one way or another... and most certainly did not then expand that into a view that more mergers should or should not happen...

Again and from the article:

As another user so concisely put it - in general regard to your comments and "writing" ( lol ) style...

"he would use this as a springboard to rant about something completely idiotic and easily disproven, or to attack a completely unrelated person or institution."

Congrats at least on staying true to form and utterly predictable....

:-P

Earth

#11 Mar 26, 2013
Garo K wrote:
<quoted text>
If you insist on replying to your own posts Ed Arzouian you should at least change the wording around so you don't appear as pathetic as you actually are.
http://bcvoice.com/forums/index.php...
What I am waiting for is to see the folks / family that has given him a job... that is to say - at least 4 different jobs over the past 6 years... to tell him once again to stop using company time and computers to spam the various forums with comments that are so absolutely idiotic...

You know...

So we can all watch him melt down again on BCVoice with his rant about how they should be thankful he is doing it... because in his opinion he has done so much FOR THEM...

lol !!!

Earth

#14 Apr 1, 2013
We all know you are really bad at math... so mind sourcing your numbers...

Also I don't believe that anyone is arguing that consolidation might be a good option for at least some of those districts...

The problem is the OP and some later responses... where the individuals ( you ) attributed statements and sentiment to a writer as an attempted personal smear - wher the article referenced clearly shows he did no such thing...
jack

Vienna, VA

#16 Apr 1, 2013
Forget consolidating a district here and a district there. Broome County needs to consolidate all their schools into a county wide district. Based on information I gleened from each of the district websites, BC schools total budgets for 2012-2013 is $510,551,184 for 29,384 students. That comes out to an average per pupil spending $17.4K

Other states utilize county wide districting and it produces a better product at far less cost. I currently live in Fairfax County Virginia. The district here is the 5th largest in the country, with enrollment of >181,000, with an annual budget of $2.2B ($12.2K per pupil spending).
Yet in spite of spending 30% less on each pupil, the academics are much better than in BC. While Fairfax Cty is affluent, it is not without challenges. It is a very diverse community, with all the challenges associated with the diversity. The district has probably the finest gifted program in the country. Each student is eligible, based on merit and standing to attend the geographically located gifted centers. The district also has a competative high school that is frequently rated as the top public high school in the nation.

Each elementary and middle school is aligned to a high school, which lends itself to the same sense of community that many feel will be lost in BC through consolidation.

Earth

#17 Apr 1, 2013
The problem is that our other troll didn't create this thread for the purpose of discussing the merits and pitfalls of consolidating school systems... instead it was create as yet another of his attack platforms / threads aimed at trying to smear another person under false pretenses...

So the whole thing is a sort of poison pill... he has that nasty and false headline up there and each and ever time you or I or anyone else posts - as I would expect is per his desire - his lies about the person in question are popped to the top for all to see even if they don't read the thread... especially if they don't read the thread...

How about this Jack...

Take that intelligent post of yours up there and create a new thread on the topic of consolidation or not... or benefit / pitfalls... or whatever you want to call it...

I would be more than happy to have a discussion with you there... and btw - as I've said before - I'm guessing most folks would agree... if not on the method or maybe timeline of doing a consolidation then about the idea of a consolidation in general...
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#18 Apr 2, 2013
See what Rossie started again!!!!!TIC.TIC.TIC.

Who's who at BOCES!?

Earth

#20 Apr 3, 2013
You're not helping here Jake !

:-P

Btw and on the topic of consolidation...

So I think we can all agree that having more students per district can potentially help save money... as long as that district doesn't let itself get top heavy or similar situations...

Here is another pitfall that should be considered...

In other threads the OP had used Atlanta GA as an example of a large district... and the premise was that they're a large district that doesn't spend as much money as the Broome area per student... and that -hey- look at how well the Atlanta district's students have been doing i.e. greatly increased scores on the standardized tests over the past years...

That would all be good except for things like the following:

http://www.voanews.com/content/reuters-atlant...

That's an article about the 35 educators in that district that have been indicted for facilitating cheating on those standardized tests...

The point is that when you have a large organization ( school district or otherwise ) and things are going well / being done right - it's a good thing... but when the wrong person / people get into the wrong positions and it's starts going bad... the end result is that any shenanigans end up affecting many more students than it otherwise would... not only that but it's often much harder to redirect such a behemoth - as opposed to a smaller organization - back onto the right track...

Just my thoughts for the day... and now I must get back to doing some paperwork... yay paperwork - lol !
Tru Datt

Windsor, NY

#22 Apr 3, 2013
I'd say that between Broome County's 12 districts that average 2500 students and the 50,000 in the Atlanta distict there is lots of wiggle room, wouldn't you?

Furthermore if you look at the national average of about 3600 student per school district even by those liberal numbers Broome County has 50% more school disticts than it needs or should have.

Earth

#23 Apr 3, 2013
Tru Datt wrote:
I'd say that between Broome County's 12 districts that average 2500 students and the 50,000 in the Atlanta distict there is lots of wiggle room, wouldn't you?
Furthermore if you look at the national average of about 3600 student per school district even by those liberal numbers Broome County has 50% more school disticts than it needs or should have.
We know you're bad at math... and since your prior post via a proxy was removed and I didn't quote it...

Here is my question / request again... mind fully sourcing your numbers and showing your math ?

Also -

No comment about your prior suggestion that Broome Co. should emulate Atlanta... a school district that just had 35 educators indicted ?
Tru Datt

Windsor, NY

#24 Apr 3, 2013
In 2010–11, there were about 13,600 public school districts (source) made up of over 98,800 public schools, including about 5,300 charter schools (source). In fall 2012, over 49.8 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools.
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp...

Average district 3662 students...

I'm not sure how you make a leap from the size of the school district to indicted educators.

And again, from 3662 student per district to 50,000 there's lots of room.

If Broome Coujty were just to follow the national average of about 3600 students per district it would have 50% fewer school districts or about 8 of them instead of 12.

It's all very simple. I'm not sure why you can't understand.

Earth

#25 Apr 3, 2013
Tru Datt wrote:
In 2010–11, there were about 13,600 public school districts (source) made up of over 98,800 public schools, including about 5,300 charter schools (source). In fall 2012, over 49.8 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools.
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp...
Your own link provides 2009-2010 numbers for the schools... and 2012 numbers for the students... and even then you evidently can't do the math i.e. it's "about" a number... lol !!!

Sloppy and improperly sourced work - unacceptable at best... if this is beyond you then thank goodness you aren't a news reporters / journalist...
It's all very simple. I'm not sure why you can't understand.
No - I cannot understand why you said your wanted Broome Co. to emulate the Atlanta district... where not only are segments trying to break off... but as already noted - cheating on testing was rampant and all the supposed gains they have been making were lies... and they have 35 educators currently indicted...

Personally those sort of situations are something I think Broome Co. should not emulate... but I guess you are entitled to your opinion no matter how odd it is...
Tru Datt

Windsor, NY

#26 Apr 3, 2013
Average school district size about 3600.(49,800,000 students/ 13600 school districts)

Do you think the school districts and overall studnet populaiton varied that much from 2010 to 2012???

Get real.

Compared to the national average Broome County has 50% too many school districts compared to the number of students.

Earth

#27 Apr 3, 2013
Tru Datt wrote:
Average school district size about 3600.(49,800,000 students/ 13600 school districts)
Do you think the school districts and overall studnet populaiton varied that much from 2010 to 2012???
Get real.
You know...

That's the same "logic" you used in another discussion we've had... where your numbers kept jumping wildly... from something like 180 all the way to 300 over several dozen posts and a week's time... i.e. as usual your work is sloppy at best and it's obvious that you really couldn't care less about this issue... because if you did you would spend the time to get the numbers right and as concise as possible...

In fact and as already noted... the only purpose I can see behind you creating this thread was to slander Rossi... and claim he said something in an article that it's obvious to see - when anyone reads the actual article - that he didn't...

You know the best way for you to wrap up this thread... it would be to apologize to Rossi for lying about what he said... and then apologize to the users here for lying to them about it...

That's what a mature and rational adult would do.
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#30 Apr 4, 2013
If i remember right. Corning West and East side condensed to one school and the football team that year or the year after won the NYS football Championship in there division for the first time in history. very sad for the kid's left behind and out in many oppertunities of such interest and teachers out of job's just because of poor money management and the fact that shcools want to be the best in glamour and have the best of facilities. Going to be interesting to see if CV and CF makes the same move.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Binghamton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Endicott police 1 hr OldIBMer 1
how to wreck ones career Sat rope a dope 1
A Parents Story Sat rope a dope 6
Baltimore and Binghamton Sat Rope a dope 4
hey punk mets? Sat Moving day 2
it's true Fri San Diego 1
Who is Jared Karahm? May 26 Boneurmom 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Binghamton Mortgages