Favorite Chistmas dishes / recipes

Posted in the Binghamton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Michael

Elmira, NY

#1 Dec 6, 2012
We've got a few weeks until the holidays but figured why not ask now...

What is everyone's favorite dishes / food that they do during the holiday season... among other thigns we're doing oyster stew and pitzelles... well if I can figure out where the darn pitzelle iron is...

We also always have lots of cake... but that isn't so much a Christmas thing... as much as it being that the week before Christmass - there are 3 birthdays to celebrate...

That's a hint... send me presents... lol !!!

:-)
Jake

Vestal, NY

#2 Dec 6, 2012
Prime rib and haddock with a creamy sauce and eggnog cheesecake with homemade ice cream. Baileys irish cream on the rocks to sip on afterwards.
Michael

Elmira, NY

#4 Dec 6, 2012
Test...

Don't ask... lol !!!
Geoff

Binghamton, NY

#5 Dec 6, 2012
For breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries and toast.

For dinner we have take-out Chinese food. We let someone else cook on Christmas so we can enjoy the day.
Michael

Elmira, NY

#6 Dec 6, 2012
Waffles here !

One thing I miss is that I used to have an ancient i.e. early '40s - round waffle maker... and it cooked PERFECT waffles... but it was replaced with a newer version a few years back... it does ok but it's not quite the same...:(

The dinner part is kind of in the same vein as yours where no one wants to cook... because of relatives to see... presents to play with and some that the kids need help with or just want someone to play / share with them...

So it's a ham that's cooked / ready from the night before and tossed in really early in the morning and left to cool... biscuits / buns... veggies in pots on the stove... and as I mentioned earlier - left over cake...

Speaking of which... I just realized I forgot the darn ham... time to go online and see if Smithfield / whoever does online or phone orders and how fast they get them delivered... lol !!!

To Michael

Endicott, NY

#7 Dec 6, 2012
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player
Michael

Elmira, NY

#8 Dec 6, 2012
To Michael wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =n08ETcI1AAoXX&feature=you tube_gdata_player
How nice !!!

It seems your song says you're going to be getting me an my family all sorts of lovely presents for Christmas... and that is wonderful thing for you to do - especially in light of your prior behavior on this site...

But...

I should point out that we're having a discussion about everyone's favorite or traditional ( for their family ) foods and recipes over the holidays... and I and I'm sure everyone else would appreciate it if you stayed on topic...

Thanks in advance and have a lovely evening !

Geoff

Binghamton, NY

#9 Dec 6, 2012
Michael wrote:
Waffles here !
One thing I miss is that I used to have an ancient i.e. early '40s - round waffle maker... and it cooked PERFECT waffles... but it was replaced with a newer version a few years back... it does ok but it's not quite the same...:(
The dinner part is kind of in the same vein as yours where no one wants to cook... because of relatives to see... presents to play with and some that the kids need help with or just want someone to play / share with them...
So it's a ham that's cooked / ready from the night before and tossed in really early in the morning and left to cool... biscuits / buns... veggies in pots on the stove... and as I mentioned earlier - left over cake...
Speaking of which... I just realized I forgot the darn ham... time to go online and see if Smithfield / whoever does online or phone orders and how fast they get them delivered... lol !!!
I can't do sugar for breakfast - French toast, pancakes, waffles - I get a sugar rush and then crash.

In a pinch - there is always deli ham sandwiches on biscuits with veggies and cake for desert. ; )
Sugar Pie

Endicott, NY

#10 Dec 6, 2012
Play Misty For Me
Jake

Vestal, NY

#11 Dec 6, 2012
Here is something intresting i would like to share, i dont like soggy french toast, waffles and hotcakes, so i melt butter into my syrup and do the dipping before bites.,
Michael

Elmira, NY

#12 Dec 6, 2012
Geoff wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't do sugar for breakfast - French toast, pancakes, waffles -
Waffles and fried chicken it is then...

:-P

Actually I've never had that... and not sure if sugar / syrup / whatever is involved... it's just what came to mind... lol !
Geoff

Binghamton, NY

#13 Dec 6, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Waffles and fried chicken it is then...
:-P
Actually I've never had that... and not sure if sugar / syrup / whatever is involved... it's just what came to mind... lol !
Kill four birds with one stone...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/coolhaus-fri...
Michael

Elmira, NY

#14 Dec 6, 2012
Ewww... argh... yuck...

Really... chicken and waffle ice cream ?!

Lol !!!
Jake

Vestal, NY

#15 Dec 6, 2012
Thats hard to believe, i think i'll pass on that one, thanks for sharing anyways.
Michael

Elmira, NY

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Now bacon and garlic ice cream... that's the stuff....

Yes...

I've actually had that at the Gilroy Garlic Festival... and it really was quite tasty... evidently the trick is to do a long smokey roast of the garlic before adding it in...

Hmmmm...

Maybe that could be a new dish for our X-mas... I've got an ice cream maker that normally gets packed away at the end of summer... but I know ( unlike some other stuff ) exactly where it is...
Jake

Vestal, NY

#17 Dec 6, 2012
I'm willing to try that, and if i dont like it i'll just melt some peanut butter to pour over the top.
Michael

Elmira, NY

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Just worth mentioning...

I normally do frozen yogurt instead of ice cream... it's "better" for you plus we make our own yogurt from milk I get from a friend's cow i.e. good milk - not that runny grocery store stuff... then sieve it to get it thick a la "greek yogurt" before using it...

So anyway... next time something goes into the oven I'll throw a bulb of garlic in to roast... and I'll give it a whirl and let you know how my imitation version turns out... and post the full recipe from start to finish if it passes the kid test...

Oh and it's gonna be heavy on the bacon... since the local Tops Market had a buy 2 get 3 free on bacon... and we're pretty much stocked now for an entire year !!!
LOLz

Binghamton, NY

#19 Dec 7, 2012
I love Christmas dinner. Ham, potatoes & veggies. Ham sweet & sour ham gravy made w/brown sugar & crushed pineapple.

My sister's inlaws make some sort of "cake" they cut into little tiny slices out of cheeses & proscuitto that's awesome. I wish they'd share the recipe.

I try not to eat breakfast or lunch on Christmas as I always plan on an early dinner which I eat a lot of.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 7, 2012
As the typical conservative, i look forward each year to the traditional Slovak Christmas Eve meal of home made pyrohi (potato and cabbage), mushroom soup (using wild mushrooms my father and uncle pick)and fried fish. We're talking the ultimate comfort food. Followed by dessert of kolachkis and coffee.

Christmas day we love to celebrate our position at the top of the food chain with our traditional Prime Rib dinner.
Michael

Elmira, NY

#21 Dec 7, 2012
Jack wrote:
As the typical conservative, i look forward each year to the traditional Slovak Christmas Eve meal
What ?! lol !!!

Anyway...

Did anyone notice the many wonderful hugs and kisses someone has been giving our posts... they must really really like this thread and what we're saying... so keep it up !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Binghamton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor David Infastructure 1 hr Mhjkn 3
Young/Sheredy's November Surprise 4 hr Unqualified 8
Ch 12 charges 2 grand for political commerical 8 hr mhjkn 5
Does Dave Harder Drink and Drive? 8 hr mhjkn 3
Vestal now has strategic petro reserve 8 hr Jake 4
Apple run by homosexual 8 hr Concerned 1
Karl Bernhardsen endorsed Fiala 9 hr Tony is a Giver 2
Binghamton Dating
Find my Match

Binghamton People Search