EPA Water Violations
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Don the Snake Laprado

Windsor, NY

#1 Feb 18, 2013
Well, well, well, there are some EPA citations for water purity issues.

They do not come from gas drilling though.

No, no, they come from the City of Binghamton's water treatment plant!

"All of the EPA violations, which happened in Binghamton and Johnson City water departments, were reported based on whether the problem existed during 12 separate three-month periods between October 2009 and September 2012."

Perhaps if Binghamton's Mayor Matthew T. Ryan was less concerned about water in Dimock, PA and more concerned about his own water the City of Binghamton woud not have had these EPA violations.

I wonder if the gas drilling companies will point out all of Mayor Ryan's EPA violations?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2 Feb 18, 2013
I crave Ryan's nutsack!
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#3 Feb 18, 2013
Don the Snake Laprado wrote:
Well, well, well, there are some EPA citations for water purity issues.
OMG...

Did you even read / understand the article... that there were some missed testing and test submission deadlines... and that the results all showed that the water was fine...

Seriously...

I could understand complaining about the testing not being done on time excluding periods of flooding when it couldn't be done... but for you to pull that "citations for water purity issues" routine up there without explanation... you do realize the best you have accomplished is to make most folks call any / all of your future claims into question i.e. as exaggeration or outright lies...

You do realize that - right ?!
Severn

Endicott, NY

#4 Feb 18, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG...
Did you even read / understand the article... that there were some missed testing and test submission deadlines... and that the results all showed that the water was fine...
Seriously...
I could understand complaining about the testing not being done on time excluding periods of flooding when it couldn't be done... but for you to pull that "citations for water purity issues" routine up there without explanation... you do realize the best you have accomplished is to make most folks call any / all of your future claims into question i.e. as exaggeration or outright lies...
You do realize that - right ?!

Oh, jeepers, now Michael is a water expert.

Make it rain Michael, put the lid up first.
Crystl Kleer

Windsor, NY

#6 Feb 19, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG...
Seriously...
Sure tests were missing.

Better to be "missing" than have water unfit for consumption and have to tell the public right????

Wake up Nancy.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#7 Feb 19, 2013
Crystl Kleer wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure tests were missing.
Better to be "missing" than have water unfit for consumption and have to tell the public right????
OMG... it's a conspiracy...

Not only that but it was so well kept that not a single person got sick from the "water unfit for consumption" you claim existed !!!

Everyone run for your lives - LOL !!!
Crystl Kleer

Windsor, NY

#8 Feb 19, 2013
""Binghamton had the most quarters with violations, mainly because the city water department failed to adhere to the federal lead and copper rule, leading to 12 consecutive quarters with that violation cited."

"Binghamton and Johnson City both addressed each of their respective violations efficiently and in a timely fashion, limiting the already minor health risks involved "(so there were health risks..)

"flooding in September 2011 forced them to miss some testing deadlines, prompting a majority of the violations. Adequate sample gathering and reporting was delayed in these cases about a year, the report said."

So let me get this right... there was a flood in September and they missed reporting for A YEAR???????

Matthew T. Ryan's administration, between the sewage treatment plant and the water department, have had more violations in a seven-year period than all the gas drilling in PA combined!
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#9 Feb 19, 2013
I do know for a fact that the beverage companys are making a lot of money selling filtered water to mostly people on city water and has been for the past 15 yr's now. all i and my neighbors need in the country is a softwater system to remove minerals.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#10 Feb 19, 2013
Crystl Kleer wrote:
""Binghamton had the most quarters with violations, mainly because the city water department failed to adhere to the federal lead and copper rule, leading to 12 consecutive quarters with that violation cited."
Of course there are other parts of the article that you just skipped over because they didn't serve your purposes e.g.:

"Nicole Foley Kraft, an EPA official who oversees the drinking water safety program in the region, said the way lead and copper rule violations get reported is “a little bit misleading,” because there is a small window to gather and submit the testing results.

“The database looks like they’ve been in violation for three years,” she said, noting Binghamton’s actual delay in reporting lasted about a year, partially because samples can only be gathered during the late summer and early fall due to temperature constraints."

D'oh.

Anyway and as I mentioned before... if you want to be upset about the missed / delayed tests - then that is understandable...

BUT...

Your bizarre attempt at trying to relate it to fracking and the pollution that causes... that's just wierd...

I mean seriously - your argument comes of as though you believe that since some of the Binghamton water supply tests were missed so - hey - who cares if fracking pollutes the water ????
Matthew T. Ryan's administration, between the sewage treatment plant and the water department, have had more violations in a seven-year period than all the gas drilling in PA combined!
http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/drill...

More than 3000 violations since the start of 2009 as reported by PA DEP...

Facts... they are your friends... that is - unless you're trying to lie.
Crystl Kleer

Windsor, NY

#11 Feb 19, 2013
Funny how that report doesn't link to any of the actual EPA reports...and those are on active wels, so fracking was concluded wasn't it?

But we do have this:

"Due to safety concerns following the collapse, union workers have refused to enter the plant's BAF, which is designed to remove carbon and nitrogen in 20 treatment cells after sewage has been disinfected and solids removed. All but six of those 20 cells have been shut down.
Since the collapse, the peak capacity of the plant has been reduced from 60 to 45 million gallons per day. Sampling data shows the damaged plant is still removing all contaminants except nitrogen in line with permitted guidelines."

August 20, 2011, "Who's going to pay for this? Battle brewing over repair costs for sewage treatment plant"- By Steve Reilly

then:

Kevin Transue and Daniel Rose - Binghamton's former water superintendent and a former employee are convicted for their involvement in illegal dumping in the Susquehanna River. The State Attorney General's Office says 55 year old Kevin Transue and 31 year old Daniel Rose were convicted in Broome County Court. The suppose environmentalist mayor, Ryan, somehow missed this???? Or perhaps it was Ryan's cue for his negligence that sent 580,000 gallons of sewage into the Susquehanna River when the treatment plant collapsed

then:

Former water department employees , Robert Winterstein, 60, of Howard Avenue and Raymond Castelli , each face one misdemeanor charge of theft of services. Each is alleged to have tampered with a water meter to avoid paying for some of the city water pumped into his house and Binghamton Water Department laborer Tommy Dunbar, 48, of Floral Avenue, Johnson City, also is charged with theft of services. Prosecutors allege he and an unnamed person tampered with a water meter at Dunbar's JC home. In their defense they work for Ryan appointee Luke Day who was put in charge of the DPW despite not meeting the required qualifications nor having any relevant experience or skill.(and he is on the board of the sewage treatment plant....)
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#12 Feb 19, 2013
Ok you - whoever you are...

If you're going to copy posts from here and paste them on other sites... at least let everyone know that's what you're doing on the other site(s?)...

Having said that...

I do think it hilarious that our BCBL is running around posting his nonsense on other sites also... stuff that is so close / even identical to what is here... that you can copy / paste my stuff and have a "discussion" with him with few to no modifications...

Lol !
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#13 Feb 19, 2013
Crystl Kleer wrote:
Funny how that report doesn't link to any of the actual EPA reports...and those are on active wels, so fracking was concluded wasn't it?
You might want to re-check your facts...

The reality is that many of the violations were for environmental haszards such as not disposing of fracking wastes properly, not have large enough pits to hold such material and so forth...

Here are a few of them to give you an idea since you were too fat and lazy to look at the facts yourself:

Pit and tanks not constructed with sufficient capacity to contain pollutional substances.

Failure to properly store, transport, process or dispose of a residual waste.

Discharge of industrial waste to waters of Commonwealth without a permit.
But we do have this:
"Due to safety concerns following the collapse, union workers have refused to enter the plant's BAF, which is designed to remove carbon and nitrogen in 20 treatment cells after sewage has been disinfected and solids removed. All but six of those 20 cells have been shut down.
Since the collapse, the peak capacity of the plant has been reduced from 60 to 45 million gallons per day. Sampling data shows the damaged plant is still removing all contaminants except nitrogen in line with permitted guidelines."
August 20, 2011, "Who's going to pay for this? Battle brewing over repair costs for sewage treatment plant"- By Steve Reilly
I agree...

It would be nice if the administration that was responsible for that fiasco / bad design / construction... should be held responsible...

That was your point... that those reponsible should be held responsible... right ?!
Kevin Transue and Daniel Rose - Binghamton's former water superintendent and a former employee are convicted for their involvement in illegal dumping in the Susquehanna River. The State Attorney General's Office says 55 year old Kevin Transue and 31 year old Daniel Rose were convicted in Broome County Court. The suppose environmentalist mayor, Ryan, somehow missed this????
Think about it...

You're complaining about them being caught and convicted... and if that is your complaint - it seems what you would have wanted to happen is for then NOT to be caught or convicted...

Thank goodness the current administration doesn't share your strange views...
Former water department employees , Robert Winterstein, 60, of Howard Avenue and Raymond Castelli , each face one misdemeanor charge of theft of services. Each is alleged to have tampered with a water meter to avoid paying for some of the city water pumped into his house and Binghamton Water Department laborer Tommy Dunbar, 48, of Floral Avenue, Johnson City, also is charged with theft of services. Prosecutors allege he and an unnamed person tampered with a water meter at Dunbar's JC home.
Now you're really grasping at straws...

In all seriousness... you think that a low level laborer... that worked under a manager... that worked under another manager... and so on and so forth... who tried to rig his own water meter...

THAT is your big complaint... THAT is your example of what you think a Mayor should be doing i.e. evidently going around inspecting the homes of each and every worker ever so tenuously connected to the city and / or Mayor's office...

LOL !!!
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#14 Feb 19, 2013
Crystl Kleer wrote:
I almost forgot...

If you weren't a brain dead moron then you could have followed any number of links on that page to get further information concerning the data they were presenting... include where it was sourced from... and what wells were included and similar...

For example:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/shale...

Sheez.
Andy Black

Netherlands

#15 Feb 19, 2013
Crystl Kleer wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure tests were missing.
Wake up Nancy.
I agree there is a cover up there.

It's too bad the hacks like Stovall at the Press and Slum Bull cover for Lyin' Ryan all of the time.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#16 Feb 19, 2013
Andy Black wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree there is a cover up there.
It's too bad the hacks like Stovall at the Press and Slum Bull cover for Lyin' Ryan all of the time.
So the newspaper publishing the story that you're mentioning / quoting in an attempt to smear the current administration... is an example of them engaging in a "cover up" with / for the current administration...

Logic / rational thought never has been one of your strong points... lol !!!
Duvet

Endicott, NY

#17 Feb 20, 2013
Edna is coming in from Germany to teach you potty. Your messes are in the sewer plant now and the EPA is being called in.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Feb 20, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I could understand complaining about the testing not being done on time excluding periods of flooding when it couldn't be done...
I understand your frustration at times with this individual. He does have a propensity to make absurd conclusions from relevant and in many times, justfiable criticisms.

Now you know how fiscal conservatives and TEA Party members feel when it is noted that social programs are unsustainable and need significant reforms to control costs and viability. Do you really think that conservatives want to shove granny off a cliff, or take the wheels off a sick kids wheelchair? Do you think they want dirty air and dirty water? This is the type of hyperbole we hear daily, not from some nutjob on a obscure small town forum, but from the top levels of our government.

But to the case in point, why is it that Binghamton Municiple government always seem to perform it's fiduciary duties at or near the bottom when compared with the rest of the state. Whether its filing financial statements to credit rating agencies, conducting state mandated audits, or performing basic QA/QC sampling at the water plant. Michael, I may not agree with you on most things, but you are clearly not stupid. How can you continuously defend this administration with such veracity when their performance is so lacking?

While the missed or late water department test sampling ultimately did not pose a health risks to the population, they could have and thats the point. Sampling plans are developed upon completing a risk assessment. They are designed to miminmize the amount of testing, while still ensuring a quality product. Granted, there are or can be extenuating circumstances, such as the flooding, which is excusable, but not for all the missed testing. Those can be attributed to mismanagement.

Ryan only exacerbated the situation by the political grandstanding he did in regards to the Dimmock water fiasco. It neither served or benefitted his constituents. If you're going to be critical of someone or something, its best that you are sure that you are running a tight ship.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#19 Feb 20, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your frustration at times with this individual. He does have a propensity to make absurd conclusions from relevant and in many times, justfiable criticisms.
[etc]
This is the type of hyperbole we hear daily, not from some nutjob on a obscure small town forum, but from the top levels of our government.
The problem is that guys like that are very loud and they claim that they represent you folks... AND I rarely if ever see individuals like him disavowed by the more sane conservatives... and that's what I don't understand...

See...

That's one of the reasons when our Norwich troll runs around playing at representing those to the left... that I have tried to make a point of at least occasionally clearing up the reality of the situation i.e. what he is doing is a parody and doesn't represent what most of us believe / think...
But to the case in point, why is it that Binghamton Municiple government always seem to perform it's fiduciary duties at or near the bottom when compared with the rest of the state. Whether its filing financial statements to credit rating agencies, conducting state mandated audits, or performing basic QA/QC sampling at the water plant. Michael, I may not agree with you on most things, but you are clearly not stupid. How can you continuously defend this administration with such veracity when their performance is so lacking?
If I've said it once - I've said it dozen times... correcting our troll that is spamming this site isn't the same thing as defending the current administration...

Even in this thread I correct his errors but also point out that the failed test(s) is worth complaining about... in the sewage treatment threads I've complained that Ryan didn't have a big enough pair to tell folks what had to be done and follow through on it i.e. shutting down the part of the plant that was crumbling and could NOT be fixed... etc....
While the missed or late water department test sampling ultimately did not pose a health risks to the population, they could have and thats the point. Sampling plans are developed upon completing a risk assessment. They are designed to miminmize the amount of testing, while still ensuring a quality product. Granted, there are or can be extenuating circumstances, such as the flooding, which is excusable, but not for all the missed testing. Those can be attributed to mismanagement.
I'm not sure if you read through the article but here is a link:

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20130218...

The gist of it is that out of twleve quarters - there were two quarters where they found elevated levels of nitrates...

The twelve consecutive quarters that the OP mentioned though... the deal is that the lead and copper test is done only once every three years... that test wasn't done on time due to the flooding... and the EPA rule is that missing the test means ALL quarters from the current quarter to the quarter of the most recent test ( three years prior ) would be marked as failed...

Of course he either didn't bother reading the article in it's entirety so he didn't know how the twelve quarters came about... or he did and was simply mis-representing the information... or he did and just couldn't understand the what was being said...

But it was those three possibilities and the misinformation / misleading way he was presenting the information that I was correcting...
Ryan only exacerbated the situation by the political grandstanding he did in regards to the Dimmock water fiasco. It neither served or benefitted his constituents. If you're going to be critical of someone or something, its best that you are sure that you are running a tight ship.
Agreed...

I believe the only comment I made about the entire water to Dimmock was the equivalent of saying - "oh sheez".
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Feb 20, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that guys like that are very loud and they claim that they represent you folks... AND I rarely if ever see individuals like him disavowed by the more sane conservatives... and that's what I don't understand...
".
Michael, who comes to his defense? His alter egos? Who does he really represent...not the mainstream conservatives from what I can see. Most people try to distance themselves from his comments. He usually starts by uncovering a relavent fact, one that is worthy of discussion. Unfortunately, he cannot stop at the incontrovertable fact, but starts spinning it deeper and deeper, thereby undermining his own credibility.

But to answer your question....why don't the more sane conservatives disavow him? to that, I would say they have. I don't see him embraced by the republican party or those seeking office. Does that mean we have to confront every utterance of his? I gotta tell you, I've neither the time or energy.

But tell me this....why don't you confront the equally looney utterances coming from your side? Which is much worse...since they are elected officials and not some poster on an obscure forum.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#21 Feb 20, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael, who comes to his defense? His alter egos? Who does he really represent...not the mainstream conservatives from what I can see. Most people try to distance themselves from his comments. He usually starts by uncovering a relavent fact, one that is worthy of discussion. Unfortunately, he cannot stop at the incontrovertable fact, but starts spinning it deeper and deeper, thereby undermining his own credibility.
But to answer your question....why don't the more sane conservatives disavow him? to that, I would say they have. I don't see him embraced by the republican party or those seeking office. Does that mean we have to confront every utterance of his? I gotta tell you, I've neither the time or energy.
"When they came for ..."

Not trying to be snarky but sometimes silence speaks louder than words... and apologies if you took my post to mean that it was up to you and only you... as it was meant to be a general observation...
But tell me this....why don't you confront the equally looney utterances coming from your side? Which is much worse...since they are elected officials and not some poster on an obscure forum.
Oh come on now...

Just in the past couple of weeks, just on Ryan alone, I have:

- pointed out that the missed water quality test ( that I just clarified as the lead / copper one ) was something to be concerned about... which is contrary to the administrations public proclamations...

- pointed out that they / Ryan and company... based on them trying to play it safe and not shutting down the faulty segments of the treatment plant and letting folks know it would have to be rebuilt - did screw up...

- stated that despite what Ryan might say... I don't believe that the recent long term debt downgrade was just because of missed audits... but instead due to the general decline of the area - as given by the analyst(s) via the other 3 causes they listed...

That's not to mention...

When I have thought folks on my "side" were going overboard... I had / have no compunction against contacting the person(s) in question via forum pm, email if I had it or whatever... and asking them to calm it down... and on occasion you'll note that I've actually asked the same sometimes in my comments i.e. either directly or pointing out we don't want to stoop to the troll's level...

If you don't remember seeing any of those and / or no one I've had such conversations with step forward and verify it in this thread... I will point out one more item...

The threatening emails from Arzouian... the dozens of libelous threads about me that he has created... his threats to harass my family / friends / clients and so forth... and every other piece of disgusting behavior on his part...

ALL of that began because I did something like I outline above... that is - I saw folks saying thing / in a manner that I didn't agree with to him... and I SPOKE UP ABOUT IT... and he himself admits this... though of course - as you also know - his twisted world view led him to the conclusion that it was some huge conspiracy to trick him... argh.

The point of all that being... I know you're aware of at least some of that... some I'm left wondering why it seems in the post I am replying to... you appear to be indicating the contrary ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Binghamton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wheres the diversity in the ME district? 51 min dnnOme 3
Zona 1 hr ejriP 1
Fred Askar why do you let her extort you? 4 hr TROLL 18
Reagan solicitor general Donald Trump is a risk... 15 hr USMCVet 1
Aggressive Gay Prostitutes Bother Truck Drivers (Jul '12) 18 hr Attica 25
"Free Masons" #77 Mon 44 Saraidee Lewis... 1
Bad Mudder tshirt cop downtown today Mon Ken 4

Binghamton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance