Matt Ryan on gun control - ZERO credi...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Endicott, NY

#25 Apr 8, 2013
Vallum wrote:
Didn't BAE Systems get out of the DU business quite some time ago - somewhere around 2003...?
I believe the primary and current producers are and have been Alliant, Aerojet and General Dynamics for quite some time now... and - imho - if you want to raise awareness on DU round production and use - those companies are probably the ones you should be focusing on...
Again and to put my posts in perspective...
I just spent weeks trying to secure a contract with them i.e. BAE Systems... only to get a nonsensical non-answer from them / the external facing contract house they use... so if anyone were going to jump on the bandwagon with you - it would be me... but you're bringing up things that it seems haven't really been part of their business for years now...
According to this link BAE ceased their use of DU "several years ago". However long ago that is suppose to mean.

http://www.baesystems.com/article/BAES_052474...

Of course we are to take the word of BAE executives at their, in my opinion, highly questionable word that this is the truth. Especially when I found a link a week or so ago(can't find the God damn thing now of course) that BAE was still trying to sell DU tank shells to the UK within the last year. I'll keep trying to hunt that link down which gave an actual picture of the DU shell BAE had designed to be used in the tank.

I was amazed at how small it appeared in comparison to much larger tank shells used in WW 2. But when you have that much mass being launched against suicide bombers I suppose size can be very deceptive in terms of destructive powers.

On the other hand, Valium, that $6706.28 figure I gave as a cost for each death in Iraq only refers to what Broome County's contribution to the killing has been. Which amounts to about $6000 that each resident of Broome gave up in that amount of time to assure that number of deaths half way around the world. The actual figure in cost that the entire US spent for the killing of each Iraqi is well over a million dollars apiece.

A real bargain I suppose if you own a lot of stocks in the Military Industrial complex.

But given humanities capability of destroying itself and most life on the planet; today's wars between nations make as much sense as the wars which occurred between the city states of ancient Greece or the skirmishes between Vermont and New Hampshire around the time of the Revolutionary War.

And just to throw a real monkey wrench into the equation, according to FBI statistics, there were slightly under 15,000 deaths per annum in the last ten yearsin this country. So theoretically we could release all those convicted murders and serial killers and still come up with a lower death rate than what we have now with a "national policy" based not on the interest of an American but on the "self interests" of a few at the top of the food chain.

Pretty f**king surreal to say the least. Ya know what I mean?

I FOUND IT!

BAE still trying to sell, and very openly, DU tank shells to the UK in 2011:

http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/a/370.ht...

Endicott, NY

#26 Apr 8, 2013
Vallum wrote:
Didn't BAE Systems get out of the DU business quite some time ago - somewhere around 2003...?
I believe the primary and current producers are and have been Alliant, Aerojet and General Dynamics for quite some time now... and - imho - if you want to raise awareness on DU round production and use - those companies are probably the ones you should be focusing on...
Again and to put my posts in perspective...
I just spent weeks trying to secure a contract with them i.e. BAE Systems... only to get a nonsensical non-answer from them / the external facing contract house they use... so if anyone were going to jump on the bandwagon with you - it would be me... but you're bringing up things that it seems haven't really been part of their business for years now...
Vallum, I don't want to seem ungrateful by any means for the information you provided to me about those other industries of death because I assure you I am going to put them right next to BAE and in my "Top 10 Hit List."

But if it is all the same to you would you object terribly if Prestin, Lupardo, Hanna, Schumer, Gillibrand, Obama and any of the other war collaborators I have left out contacted you to handle all of BAE's budget? You could probably convert the entire factory overnight into making such real weapons of financial destruction as windmills, solar panels and geothermal units that you could give away free to the residents of Broome County and then all of NY. That would take everyone off the grid and virtually end our addiction to oil or natural gas.

Of course I am sure that those same politicians could then come up with funds to have the hundreds of thousands of jobs that would be replaced by automation be turned into creative "make work" jobs. Real assembly type jobs like shredding paper and then gluing it back together again. Anything which would get America back to work again even if it requires new leadership and a return to our old values.

However, rather than authorizing the armed forces to parachute any of the extra green energy products all over the lands of our enemies as a peace offering; the politicians could ear mark funds to fire departments and the Drug Enforcement Agency to burn all the extra windmills etc that would be made. This would be based on a kind of laisser-faire attitude towards the abundance the earth could provide to everyone if artificial scarcity was not institutionalized by corporations and their political bed partners to keep at all cost food, clothing and shelter out of the reach of petty criminals and the destitute.

“Words are words are words.”

Since: Mar 13

Earth

#27 Apr 9, 2013
Broomeunderground wrote:
<quoted text>
You could probably convert the entire factory overnight into making such real weapons of financial destruction as windmills, solar panels and geothermal units that you could give away free to the residents of Broome County and then all of NY. That would take everyone off the grid and virtually end our addiction to oil or natural gas.
I don't know if you caught it but way back when I made a set of posts related to that on the Gannett forums... though it was taking the entire Iraq war cost and applying it to solar panels...

The numbers that I calculated used the scenario of what it would have meant if that money was spent providing free panels and installation to folks for their homes... and another set of numbers what it would have meant if the money had been spent subsidizing production i.e. panels sold at cost to households with the money spent to provide the manufacturers with a healthy 20% profit...

Just to give you an rough idea from memory... and again just using the Iraq war costs and not things like interest on the money and long term care of injured soldiers and so forth... a full subsidy for production and installation using that money could have provided a quarter of all households in the USA with a 500 kwh ( monthly production ) system...

That was back about 4 or 5 years ago... today with the drop in the price of solar panels and such... where they cost literally half as much ( and btw - I was using the higher priced panels produced in the USA )... that takes us to being able to provide almost half of all households with such systems...

The numbers looked just as good / better for solar hot water systems... the vacuum tube ones used to produce hot water for consumption and use extra production during the winter / cold months for general heating...

In fact...

Since those systems do not require rare earth materials like the photovoltaic ones... their entire production could have almost literally been done from start to finish with 100% of the resources coming directly from our own mines, factories and so forth with few to no imported materials...

Earth

#28 Apr 9, 2013
Broomeunderground wrote:
<quoted text>
BAE still trying to sell, and very openly, DU tank shells to the UK in 2011:
http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/a/370.ht...
I'm reading that as verifying they are out of the depleted uranium business... and have been focusing on ones made of a tungsten alloy...

The gotcha according to the article seems to be that while it eliminates the issue of long term radioactive contamination of areas... there still seems to be concerns about cancer rates possibly associated with the ( tungsten ) alloy being used / studied for use...

Endicott, NY

#31 Apr 9, 2013
Vallum wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you caught it but way back when I made a set of posts related to that on the Gannett forums... though it was taking the entire Iraq war cost and applying it to solar panels...
The numbers that I calculated used the scenario of what it would have meant if that money was spent providing free panels and installation to folks for their homes... and another set of numbers what it would have meant if the money had been spent subsidizing production i.e. panels sold at cost to households with the money spent to provide the manufacturers with a healthy 20% profit...
Vallum wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, it is freaking amazing isn't it? That people who are barely holding their head above water in the so called middle class would prefer to see a higher standard of living for everyone aborted in favor of keeping 1200 "professional" jobs at BAE where they make $80,000 a year for making weapons of death. Especially when the per capita income of Broome County is $24,766 and with more people living below the poverty level here(16.2%) than in the rest of the state(14.5%).

The other thing that is incomprehensible is how politicians view automation. Instead of entering the age of robotics(which should free humanity from all sorts of mind numbing work, lower the work week to virtually 20 hours and provide such an abundance of communal wealth it could guarantee a livable annual income for everyone) politicians are always trying to show how successful they are by how many "new jobs" are created under their rule.

Reminds me of how useful the science of "planned obsolescence" is and of the jobs one rich jackass created for an interior decorator, a carpet salesman and installers by having all the rugs in his castle ripped up and put into a landfill a week after they were installed because his new serial wife decided she wanted a different color. Not really very different than tearing up pieces of paper and then gluing them back together again.

Totally agree with you of course on your figures about providing homes with solar panels, solar hot water heaters etc.

Here is what I consider a loaded study that NY could rely on Green Energy with in 17 years:

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Study-Shows-...

Loaded because the total spending of the Dept of Defense in 2012 was(according to Wikipedia) between $1.030–$1.415 trillion. Can you imagine having a budget where you aren't quite sure where a possible $285,000,000,000 may have possibly disappeared to in just one year?

I took the lower ESTIMATED number of $1.030 trillion and divided it by 313,914,040(estimated population of the US). That gave a real workable number of $3281.15 being spent by the DOD for each man, woman, child and infant in the US. That of course does not include $41 billion dollars a year spent on the pathetic War on Drugs or the $30,000 that is spent per year to keep each of 500,000 people in prison for drug convictions.

Let's say the governments(fed, state, local) spend a minimum of $4000 for every person in the US for weapons and imprisoning people for horseshit reasons and the other crap. Use that money for Green Energy and the entire country could be off the grid in two years max with enough still left over for a guaranteed annual income for everyone and totally free higher education.
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#33 Apr 9, 2013
Have Gun...will travel.

Earth

#34 Apr 10, 2013
Broomeunderground wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh, it is freaking amazing isn't it? That people who are barely holding their head above water in the so called middle class would prefer to see a higher standard of living for everyone aborted in favor of keeping 1200 "professional" jobs at BAE
BAE Systems lay-off warning announcement last week saying a 10% reduction in workforce possible i.e. 4000 jobs in USA... and this doesn't include their prior layoff announcement(s) in January and February:

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/BAE-Systems-is...

It looks like they're already taking effect too...

I say that because I can't find any of the listings for any of the contract openings they had last week... and that includes both possibilities I was looking at with them ( btw and again - non-offensive systems )... and at a quick glance it seems as though about half of the full time positions they were advertising for in various locations are now vanished...

No idea what the status is with the full time people at the Endicott location... but I wouldn't be totally surprised if some of the projects and associated jobs were lost...

Having said that an knowing your disagreement with most of their business... this area has already been hard hit over the past several decades... and I would actually had to see those jobs - any more jobs from the area for that matter - go away...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Binghamton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wheres the diversity in the ME district? 7 hr Althea 4
Zona 8 hr ejriP 1
Reagan solicitor general Donald Trump is a risk... 23 hr USMCVet 1
Aggressive Gay Prostitutes Bother Truck Drivers (Jul '12) Tue Attica 25
"Free Masons" #77 Mon 44 Saraidee Lewis... 1
Bad Mudder tshirt cop downtown today Mon Ken 4
Colorado Sherriff Arrested Mon USMCVet 1

Binghamton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance