First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kerri G

Endicott, NY

#1 Oct 20, 2012
If you want to save water and make the world more sustainable
We put a reasonable copy of this in Chenango County
Although we do have LED lights from a battery pack for nightije visits.

Respect the earth and the earth will respect you.
Kerri G

Endicott, NY

#2 Oct 20, 2012
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

It brings the process to a whole new demension.
A mundane chore becomes new and exciting.
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#3 Oct 20, 2012
better check with your code inforcment on this.
Jack

Vienna, VA

#4 Oct 20, 2012
As soon as I saw the topic, I knew it had to be a Kerri G brain dropping.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#5 Oct 20, 2012
Curious that this would come up as a "Kerri G" topic since I did a bunch of audio interviews about 20 years ago on this topic... and as I understand it - some of them ( the non-technical intro ) still exist out there on the internet...

Anyway and ignoring the troll source...

Our current way of treating waste is imho a bit nonsensical... with the amount of water etc. expended along with flushing it into rivers etc. after treatment sometimes causing more harm than good e.g. the massive number of nutrients causing algae blooms that cause massive fish kills and so forth...

The problem with so called dry composting is that - yes it has been practiced for thousands of years... but it does NOT kill many / most of the parasites present in human / other feces... and if the end product is used to fertilize fields then the parasites ( along with other issues ) are easily / often passed onto others... getting ringworm is a simple example of this in many Asian countries...

But all is not lost as there is the alternative of anaerobic digestion ( composting is aerobic btw )...

The idea is to create the equivalent of a septic tank where the waste is dumped into but deprive of atmospheric oxygen... the result is a temp rise and changes in the ph levels of the effluent... and the result is a condition where most ( not all though ) infectious organisism are killed... with the plus of processes creating methane / natural gas that can be utilized for heating / cooking...

Add to that...

If one takes the resulting slurry and drip leaches it out to the sun / sunlight... the UV in from that light in most areas will help sterilize any remaining infectants... making it 100% safe for use in crop fields...

Just as a reference and haven't read thru it all the way but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_digest...

Point being... as crazy as our Kerri troll is... it actually is an interesting topic... though as Jack pointed out - local codes / regs may vary... and either way - while it might be a good thing - it may not be something you could do in your area of the country...

Have a lovely evening!
Jake

Apalachin, NY

#6 Oct 21, 2012
Thanks Michael for your input on this, there was a concern in the past and still is from some organizations of farmers useing manure spreaders and allowing the cow's to do their job in the open without a toilet because of many reasons, and many people in my area raise hell because deer run across the road in front of them driving to eat apples from my orchards, yet do they not know about the apple cider vinagar diet, check it out on google, it's good for almost everything to keep healthy.

cider vinagar with warm water and honey can cure alot of problems.
V for Victory

Endicott, NY

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Michael needs to try this. His training did not go well. Maybe he can practice out doors. His medication makes his stool smell badly.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#8 Nov 8, 2012
V for Victory wrote:
His medication makes his stool smell badly.
I see you're running around smelling other people's poop as one of you many hobbies...

Just a heads up... you engaging in such behavior isn't normal and is probably best not broadcast on a public forum...

Just thought someone should let ya know !
Geoff

Bainbridge, NY

#9 Nov 8, 2012
Are you eating stool now along with drinking urine?

Pinching your nasal passages might help you.
V for Victory

Endicott, NY

#10 Nov 8, 2012
Michael-Geoff L.

Get on your potty.
Missy

Endicott, NY

#11 Nov 8, 2012
Check out this video on YouTube:

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

I am so sorry to read of your problem. Maybe this will help. I know how humiliated you must feel.
When you get the hang of it, It isn't that bad,
Once you clear this up you won't have to post all that mean stuff about Ed.
And you pimples will disappear,
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#12 Nov 8, 2012
Geoff wrote:
Are you eating stool now along with drinking urine?
Pinching your nasal passages might help you.
On a positive note...

For Missy aka Kerri G aka etc.... this is a step forward... because if you remember she was talking about eating babies... then talking about their fantasy about cooking and one would assume eating other users...

So if they're simply back to simply drinking uring and smelling other people's poop... that's a good thing !
V is for Vagrant

Harpursville, NY

#13 Nov 8, 2012
V for Victory wrote:
Michael-Geoff L.
Get on your potty.
Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww. Kerri, you are so grosssssss. You wanna wipe their behinds for them while you relish the stink of their pooh. IIIIIIccccck. You are one dirty puppy.
Jerry Garcia

Johnson City, NY

#14 Nov 9, 2012
Michael wrote:
Curious that this would come up as a "Kerri G" topic since I did a bunch of audio interviews about 20 years ago on this topic... and as I understand it - some of them ( the non-technical intro ) still exist out there on the internet...
Anyway and ignoring the troll source...
Our current way of treating waste is imho a bit nonsensical... with the amount of water etc. expended along with flushing it into rivers etc. after treatment sometimes causing more harm than good e.g. the massive number of nutrients causing algae blooms that cause massive fish kills and so forth...
The problem with so called dry composting is that - yes it has been practiced for thousands of years... but it does NOT kill many / most of the parasites present in human / other feces... and if the end product is used to fertilize fields then the parasites ( along with other issues ) are easily / often passed onto others... getting ringworm is a simple example of this in many Asian countries...
But all is not lost as there is the alternative of anaerobic digestion ( composting is aerobic btw )...
The idea is to create the equivalent of a septic tank where the waste is dumped into but deprive of atmospheric oxygen... the result is a temp rise and changes in the ph levels of the effluent... and the result is a condition where most ( not all though ) infectious organisism are killed... with the plus of processes creating methane / natural gas that can be utilized for heating / cooking...
Add to that...
If one takes the resulting slurry and drip leaches it out to the sun / sunlight... the UV in from that light in most areas will help sterilize any remaining infectants... making it 100% safe for use in crop fields...
Just as a reference and haven't read thru it all the way but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_digest...
Point being... as crazy as our Kerri troll is... it actually is an interesting topic... though as Jack pointed out - local codes / regs may vary... and either way - while it might be a good thing - it may not be something you could do in your area of the country...
Have a lovely evening!
I find this very interesting and have a question. If you say the UV light from the sun eliminates the infectants using the plan of depriving the waste of atmoshperic oxygen, why doesn't the same thing happen when you spread the dry composting product? Is this due to the step of removing the presence of atmoshperic oxygen, and why couldn't it be done in the process of dry composting somehow?
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#15 Nov 9, 2012
It's the lack of oxygen in the digester that does most of the work...

A simplified explanation of what happens is that for the first 24 hours or so the aerobic bacteria i.e. those that need air and can later contaminate the ground if not eliminated by some means - will begin / continue to multiply as they use up the oxygen in the container... once the majority of oxygen is used the acidogenesis phase takes over and bacteria that does not need and cannot survive in oxygen rich environments begin multiplying... and after that comes the methanogenesis phase and associated bacteria...

The neat thing about those last two phases is that during that time the aerobic bacteria to a large degree gets broken down and used as "food" by the acidogenesis and methanogenesis bacteria... helping to sterilize the waste and make it safe(r) for use...

The last step of drying using the sun utilizes the UV to help kill off / elminate any remaining bacteria that might have survived the process... and it could most certainly be replaced with artificial processing using an artificial UV source, a final chemical treatment or a combination of both...

Hopefully that explains it a bit better...

Again the nice thing about the process is that it not only helps decontaminate the waste during the digestion... but during the methanogenesis phase - it produces methane that can easily be harvested as a fuel source...

The biggest drawback is that it's really not that viable for small i.e. home production because a single house / family doesn't produce enough waste... where it does / can shine though is when it is incorporated into municipal waste treatment or things such as livestock farms where large amounts of animal waste are produced ( especially the bigger "factory" farms )...

Some light reading:

http://www.epa.gov/region9/organics/ad/Why-An...

http://www.epa.gov/region9/organics/ad/index....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8244898
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#16 Nov 9, 2012
Oh look...

My post has been given a big ole X, some lips and fire...

The translation is that someone wants to give me a kiss on the lips because they think I'm hot hot hot...

I'm so flattered... lol !!!
Jerry Garcia

Johnson City, NY

#17 Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the information. Sounds like it could be very viable for sewage treatment plants. I remember the good old days when the first RV's were equipped with exhaust that would "treat" waste. I guess they would pass waste through the super heated exhaust and .....then I really have no idea what they did next. I didn't believe this until someone told me they actually did this.
Michael

Painted Post, NY

#18 Nov 10, 2012
I've never heard of that - the RV and using the exhaust...

Was it something that was fairly commonly used / done or just something a specific manufacturer was doing ?
Jerry Garcia

Johnson City, NY

#19 Nov 10, 2012
Michael wrote:
I've never heard of that - the RV and using the exhaust...
Was it something that was fairly commonly used / done or just something a specific manufacturer was doing ?
I am kind of vague on it too, because I really didn't believe that someone would think of doing that. It was called "exhaust driven waste incineration system" and it was supposed to start incinerating waste after 40mph was achieved. The problems with the system included rust because of the liquid and the pipes not being stainless steel. The system needed to exheed temperatures of 550 degrees or better. The system was actually better if the vehicle was equipped with a diesel engine (due to higher exhaust temps). The system failed miserably but seems to be making a comeback due to improvements. Exhaust is a major issue in this country but adding the burning of human waste and sending it into the atmosphere kind of scares me because of the unknowns.
Kerri G

Endicott, NY

#20 Nov 26, 2012
I am so use to leaves that using anything else seems odd and strange. It is wonderful sense of accomplishment to be liberated from the corporate paper interests. Instead of killing trees for their paper, I am using the leaves as paper. It is refreshing, cleansing and natural. Even now with a regular bathroom, I trek off to the nearby woods to fertile them for future growth. This is the meaning of sustainability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Binghamton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
oink we are going to prison 20 hr BLM More 1
garo committing voter fraud 22 hr GEORGE 4
BC Cabs shut down? Sat The Thinker 10
Garo K. and Jason Ellis exposing identities on ... Fri Garo 7
Tax cuts coming Nov 16 conklincolt 1
Mayor Rich David Nov 14 RichDavidKicksAss 7
Does Binghamton Really Need 3 Gay Bars? (Oct '11) Nov 10 The Thinker 43

Binghamton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance