D'Iberville hires experienced officer...

D'Iberville hires experienced officer as first police chief

There are 20 comments on the The South Mississippi Sun Herald story from Sep 29, 2007, titled D'Iberville hires experienced officer as first police chief. In it, The South Mississippi Sun Herald reports that:

“We're proud that someone of his caliber and abilities is interested in helping us build our police department from the ground up”

D'Iberville hires experienced officer as first police chief The Associated Press D'IBERVILLE, Miss. via The South Mississippi Sun Herald

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The South Mississippi Sun Herald.

Tired of the PAYNE

Denison, TX

#1 Sep 29, 2007

Wayne Payne was the Chief of operations under Sheriff Payne... Do we not see a problem with this picture... He is just as responsible for the Abuse and overall condition of the jail and department as George Payne...

This proves Experience is not the only thing that should be considered, Let look at professional responsibility as well.. Diberville needs to reconsider and maybe the other candidates should do some searching... I believe it was posted here a few weeks ago that he already had the job before the application process had even been closed
Someones Mom

United States

#2 Sep 30, 2007
Tired of the PAYNE wrote:
Wayne Payne was the Chief of operations under Sheriff Payne... Do we not see a problem with this picture... He is just as responsible for the Abuse and overall condition of the jail and department as George Payne...
This proves Experience is not the only thing that should be considered, Let look at professional responsibility as well.. Diberville needs to reconsider and maybe the other candidates should do some searching... I believe it was posted here a few weeks ago that he already had the job before the application process had even been closed
This is as plain as the nose on any face !
How much Payne do you have to take to break this cycle? You got it right, Tired.
Believes in a real change

AOL

#3 Oct 2, 2007
Payne retired from the Gulfport Police Department in 2004 after 28 years, including four as chief. He is leaving his second-in-command position under his first cousin, Sheriff George Payne, who lost a bid for a third term and will leave office Dec. 31. Wayne Payne said his interest in being chief was not directly related to his cousin's political defeat. He said D'Iberville officials approached him more than a year ago about the possibility of the city forming its own police department.

Lets see he retired from Gulfport in 2004 after 4 years as Chief that means he assumed the chiefs job in 2000, Wasn't that the same year George became Sheriff?

After retiring he takes a job at Sheriff's office as a Major and #2 man to George with thier Nephew Windy Swetman as Director of Law Enforcement in Diberville...

Now that George is out and Windy expects to be Supervisor of District 1 after the elections He is going to be the Chief of Police for D'iberville....

Smells Like rotten politics and coattail riding is at the core of this situation...
Payne Free in 2008

AOL

#4 Oct 2, 2007
Lets all vote for people unrelated to Payne in the upcoming elections and become Payne Free!!!!
Someones Mom

United States

#5 Oct 3, 2007
And then there's yet another Payne, Tom? They seem to come out of the woodwork down there! So what relation is he to the others?
Dogwood

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2007
He's his own graaaammpa!
Officer

AOL

#7 Oct 14, 2007
I worked for Wayne as Chief and first hand can speak about his abilities to run a police agency. First of all the media drove that whole jail thing, if you have never worked in that environment dont act as if you can speak about the conditions of working there. no good officer will condone what happeded there but dont believe hype-believe what you see. Wayne's ability to run a police dept is the question- he is very able and an excellent leader. he will take diberville to the next level of professionalism. i worked as a subordinate and a friend and can tell you he does not cut corners nor will he tolerate unproffesionalism from anyone from a rookie patrolman to his deputy chief. if your going to blast him because of his name - prove that he is not worthy! He is an asset to any agency that he is a part of. I am not a relative nor do i like all of his relatives but Wayne Payne as a leader is the right choice.
Payne free 2008

Denison, TX

#8 Oct 14, 2007
I have worked in Law Enforcement, I left because of the corruption and situations I describe. If he were the professional you claim he is he would have long ago disassociated himself with many of his relatives, Not rode thier coat tails to other positions.

I know for a fact his relatives were saying 2 weeks before it was announced that he already had the job.. It was also posted on this very forum when the announcement was made that Diberville would be forming the department but had not yet announced the application process was open. There was no competitive process used.. This was a predetermined political favor, nothing more than a political snow job that ended with him in a position where he can continue to draw a fat check...

PAYNE FREE IN 2008 should be the goal of every person in Harrison County and it should be the number #1 goal of all professional Law Enforcement Officers, So that public respect for our departments is fully restored.
Payneless

Anniston, AL

#9 Oct 16, 2007
Tom Payne who is seeking election as District Attorney I beleive is George Paynes brother. He certainly looks just like him. The irony is he is attempting to oust Cono Carana the DA who prosecuted the jailers and who some say is still considering filing charges against the sheriff. If George Payne is indicted what position would that put his brother in if he elected as the new DA?
Payne free 2008

Denison, TX

#10 Oct 16, 2007
If Tom Payne is elected look out little man and all who have openly spoke out against him or his klan...There will be hell to pay.... Yes he is the brother of George and Bobby and the Cousin of Wayne. He is also the uncle of Windy Swetman III (who is running for District 1 Supervisor)....
dreamer

Richmond, VA

#11 Oct 18, 2007
Politics aside - I was a student of Tom Payne's the same semester the storm hit in 05. He was a good professor, we learned a lot and had a lot of laughs. He did not just come out of the woodwork...
Payne free 2008

AOL

#12 Oct 18, 2007
I did not say he was not good at some things, Nor did I say he was a nobody. I simply said based on my knowledge he will not be an effective or fair DA. He is vindictive by nature and has no sense of fairness when dealing with the haves and have not's . If you have money he will treat you as an equal and play fair with you, If you are not well off, He will treat you like a door mat there for him to step on or wipe his feet... Its a part of his Political game and has been for years...

As a Professor He is in another whole world and a different person altogether... the reason I am Payne Free is because I believe it is time they move on...The Family has became to familiar in thier current surroundings and appear to think they now own this county....Time for a reality check to bring them back to earth...
dreamer

Richmond, VA

#13 Oct 23, 2007
Payne free 2008 wrote:
I did not say he was not good at some things, Nor did I say he was a nobody. I simply said based on my knowledge he will not be an effective or fair DA. He is vindictive by nature and has no sense of fairness when dealing with the haves and have not's . If you have money he will treat you as an equal and play fair with you, If you are not well off, He will treat you like a door mat there for him to step on or wipe his feet... Its a part of his Political game and has been for years...
As a Professor He is in another whole world and a different person altogether... the reason I am Payne Free is because I believe it is time they move on...The Family has became to familiar in thier current surroundings and appear to think they now own this county....Time for a reality check to bring them back to earth...
Politically speaking, I have never dealt with Tom Payne...however, George Payne is another story entirely (not that I've dealt with him either), but it was definitely time for him to get voted out...obviously.

I wish some change would start coming to the horrible town of Long Beach though...
imagin this

AOL

#14 Oct 24, 2007
geez the paynes all have a new job where there is one payne there are alot of paynes in the butt any one related to the paynes need a job ? just show up and start as a capt or a sargent no experence needed
Officer

United States

#15 Jan 19, 2008
How you all got off track so easily from the original topic. Wayne Payne as Chief. He will do very well and the citizens of Diberville are lucky to have him!
Deputy

Buda, TX

#16 Apr 22, 2008
I've a news flash for you people. You NO idea how long and how many tentacles you're dealing with. Nor the DEPTH the power-hungry will stoop. Have you NOT learned yet that a last name means nothing? People marry, change names, keep names, etc.
"Commander" Sexton (as in Alfred) is with Gulfport PD. Astonishing how he has managed to arise through the ranks. Even less, that he is a first cousin to the Payne’s. There was once a Charles Sexton, also with the department, who was allowed to mysteriously "resign."
Taxpayers in Harrison County are upset their tax dollars will pay a multi-million dollar lawsuit award? You never complained about the trips for Gulfport officer’s and their families to accompany The Explorers to Tennessee. Do you care whether are not officers attend Quantico? You should, you pay for it. You pay for those nicely padded resumes. Your tay $ pay for each hand shake, each pat on the back that they give to one another.
I am amused when one considers these people “professionals” with say 17 years experience. REALLY? Experienced by the classes, credits and concessions OTHER Payne’s have given them? And if it is NOT by blood, they have something over you, literally.
Yeah, Windy is just PART of the new generation. Carefully and strategically positioned in place just as the other no-talent, experience-planted children of all the others. All those years you suspected nothing, they were planting their friends, kin, etc., all other, every branch, every outlet, state, federal. You’ve been SUCKERED south Mississippi. While Wayne is not exactly a beacon of light, he IS the least of your problems.
Used to work for them, left on good terms, but I held my breath the entire time.
DvilleFireman08

Prescott Valley, AZ

#17 Jun 10, 2008
what aboout the the firedepartment all the guys are getting the shaft while the police get great pay and bring there police cars home saving on gas while we get stuck with making below minimum wage grass cutters make more that us... Nothing against the police officers or the cheif im glad there making so much but i think we should be paid the same or close to it...No other city on the coast pay is so distant...By the way what are the police starting off at.. Since Richard Ross wont tell us....
noname

Eagle, ID

#18 Nov 21, 2008
lol, i was just searching google for police corruption and it linked me to this topic.
well guys, sadly to say. being the son of the guy running the show in gulfport and now D'iberville (hint) i have personally seen first-hand corruption to the point where i want to vomit. these guys ur talking about are just pawns lol. shit.. my own father, it makes me want to cry every time i think of this stuff, actually gets police to plant drugs on people, raid homes.. omg.. just the sheer corruption.. ill sit back here and watch these things go by and i have no idea how to react, i know its wrong. but its family.. which bring me not being able to do anything about these things. so anyway - its like this in every place all over the country soo.. yeah, get ready america, tyranny is setting in.
u didnt spell his last name right.
- www.infowars.com
noname

Eagle, ID

#19 Nov 21, 2008
adding to my last post above.. - by the way, im going to use whatever *special* things i get from being in the family and going to try my best to set things right. i hate corruption, and i LOVE the constitution. i will keep my promise to my father that i will never be like him, i'll be the complete opposite. this is my state and i wont flinch on spending my life fixing it. i will have a voice.
Your full of IT

Rio Rancho, NM

#20 Nov 25, 2008
Officer wrote:
I worked for Wayne as Chief and first hand can speak about his abilities to run a police agency. First of all the media drove that whole jail thing, if you have never worked in that environment dont act as if you can speak about the conditions of working there. no good officer will condone what happeded there but dont believe hype-believe what you see. Wayne's ability to run a police dept is the question- he is very able and an excellent leader. he will take diberville to the next level of professionalism. i worked as a subordinate and a friend and can tell you he does not cut corners nor will he tolerate unproffesionalism from anyone from a rookie patrolman to his deputy chief. if your going to blast him because of his name - prove that he is not worthy! He is an asset to any agency that he is a part of. I am not a relative nor do i like all of his relatives but Wayne Payne as a leader is the right choice.
Everyone knows the abuse in the jail goes back decades, your full of it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biloxi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MNL Truck Sales (Aug '11) Fri Upset 71
Public Pool Fri weedz 1
City hall Thu RRR 3
City hall Aug 25 RRR 1
News Ocean Springs group takes first step in process... Aug 20 Benton 1
Review: New Wave Internal Medicine (Aug '15) Aug 18 Galaxy 3
Anybody know anything about Dixie Mafia involve... (Jul '09) Aug 15 Same Ole Criminals 115

Biloxi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Biloxi Mortgages