PSC goes door to door checking on TESI

Nov 30, 2007 Full story: The South Mississippi Sun Herald 26

“The rates have gone up and the service, well, it certainly hasn't gotten any better.”

Workers with the Public Service Commission went door to door in some Coast subdivisions served by Total Environmental Solutions Inc. this week to gauge customer satisfaction.

With another rate hike, the second in about a year, TESI customers aren't happy.

But Public Service Commissioner Leonard Bentz, who represents the Southern District, already knows that. His offices have been 'inundated' with TESI customer complaint calls, Bentz said.

Bentz and the PSC recently approved a $9.49 hike in water-sewer bills so TESI can recoup the cost to rebuild after Katrina. The increase is for three years. It will be reviewed each year and lowered if any federal funds become available to help. Read more

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Insider

United States

#1 Dec 4, 2007
I myself have filed several complaints with the PSC over TESI's rates and level of service. In the summertime the water pressure drops so low at times you can't even take a shower. And the number of Boil Water notices is rediculous. Now, we are paying almost $100/month for this service, much more than anyone along the coast. I live by myself so I don't use much water, and I don't drink any of it. I don't understand why the PSC doesn't let TESI go back to using meters, after all, I'm sure we paid for them too. We don't have a choice in Gulf Park Estates so it seems TESI can charge us whatever they want. Anyone else feel the same way?

Since: Feb 08

Gulfport, MS

#2 Feb 4, 2008
I fully agree with insider above. The saga goes on - no TESI bills in Oct, Nov - tired of calling them about it I paid double in December to pay a month ahead. No bill in January - and yesterday I learned that my double payment was 58 CENTS short for January- so a late fee was added! Dream on, TESI!

I recall bills increasing when meters were installed a few months before Katrina. It's disgusting that PSC is allowing TESI to go back to flat billing which totally avoids the requirement of metering in the original agreement with TESI.

I also live alone - and don't drink this water. I am paying the same high rate as neighbors with six children and a pool. I think the reason for the flat rate is simply that TESI wasn't making enough money with the metered rates. The water fees have doubled since Katrina - and a Katrina "fee" added, too. Don't these utilities carry insurance?

PSC in MS is about as useless as they come in my opinion - I've never seen such a lack of oversight of a utility anywhere I've lived but here.

Knocking on doors? Oh please - what good did that do? TESI has made fools of MS, the PSC and its customers. And it just goes on and on.
GPE resident

Nampa, ID

#3 Feb 18, 2008
I don't live alone, but I am tired of brown water that smells, taste and is yucky. I'm constantly recieving boiled water notices, we have water leaks in the road because tesi won't fix them. Our dog has had to go to the vet due to the baterica in the water. We buy bottled water because how bad it taste. Also, why should we pay for a katrina relief fund. I always thought that should be voltueerly. I dont feel this should be manidority for something thats not fit to drink. At times my water is just a trinkle, and how funny.. i'm typing this and the tesi guy just put a boiled water notice has been lifted.. Heck, we even use bottle water to cook with. Our TESI water is only good to water the grass..... I'm going to do 5 water samples and send them off to labs, and see what these results are. I even have had so much chloine in our water to where it burns your skin...$46.00 is entirly to much, actually they should have to reimbust the residents of Gulf Park Estates for all the bottled water we have to buy... thank you
Another TESI customer

Gainesville, TX

#4 May 19, 2008
If you'll do your homework, TESI isn't to blame for the current rates and no metered rates. From what I can find out, the Public Service Commission is forcing TESI to charge the flat rate.
Yeah, TESI has problems...but no more or less than other utilities in places I've lived. Just imagine if the county takes over!!!
Leigh King

Yazoo City, MS

#5 May 20, 2008
Every time I drink that water I take a dump in my pants.

“Science is the Solution”

Ocean Springs

#6 May 20, 2008
Another TESI customer wrote:
If you'll do your homework, TESI isn't to blame for the current rates and no metered rates. From what I can find out, the Public Service Commission is forcing TESI to charge the flat rate.
Yeah, TESI has problems...but no more or less than other utilities in places I've lived. Just imagine if the county takes over!!!
I have lived in a lot of places, and I have never had the problems that I do here, and I have never paid nearly as much for water I can't even drink. The PSC blames it on TESI and TESI blames it on PSC. I've talked with many people using city water systems and they do not pay nearly as much. This is actually the first place I've ever lived that has private utility companies. I guess it's a common thing in the south.
Another TESI customer

Gainesville, TX

#7 May 20, 2008
Of course cities don't charge as much...they get grant monies that the privates don't get. They all have problems, you just don't get to hear about all of them. We wouldn't be paying nearly as much if the private firms had gotten some help from the state and FEMA after Katrina. I read that TESI tried a bunch of times to get FEMA aid so they would have to raise rates and got turned down every time. The reason our power bills didn't go up is because the PSC got them a bunch of grant money. It's all a big game. I'd move, but it's the same everywhere.
i know the truth

Biloxi, MS

#8 May 20, 2008
to everyone i used to work at tesi in gpe there is a lot more going on than what it seems there are countless times that there should have been a boilwater notice but there was none ever issued (under order of Lee) i think that everyone that has a problem with tesi water call tthe main branch in new orlans they need to be under investigation for everything Lee and Steve both know what is going on and want to fill there pockets than help the customer hoe hard is it to put a filter on a well sight this has to stop now everyone need to call to put this to a stop
i know the truth

Biloxi, MS

#9 May 20, 2008
more to come
Sea Dog

Gainesville, TX

#10 May 20, 2008
You sound like a disgruntled (that means angry) former employee who got fired. But just for the record....according to the bill I get....the main office is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. You also might not know that there isn't a water company around Gulf Park that has large filters....they're too expensive.

Ocean Springs

#11 May 21, 2008
Sea Dog wrote:
You sound like a disgruntled (that means angry) former employee who got fired. But just for the record....according to the bill I get....the main office is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. You also might not know that there isn't a water company around Gulf Park that has large filters....they're too expensive.
And by your comments here and on the other article, I would assume you are a TESI employee?? Just because other companies have the same problems dosen't mean we shouldn't get the quality we are paying for, but quality dosen't seem to be a major concern for TESI. I know several people that have worked for TESI and they all have the same negative attitude about the company. Maybe they are disgruntled employees, but usually there is a reason behind the attitudes.
Sea Dog

Gainesville, TX

#12 May 21, 2008
You're right, I used to be a utility employee...in management...but not for TESI. I have just spent time on both sides of the fence, so I have a different perspective. Don't get me wrong...I'm no TESI fan and I don't like paying my water...or sewer...bill. However, I've spent time dealing with the same kind of problems and it isn't as easy as everyone seems to think.
Smiley

Nampa, ID

#13 May 23, 2008
What ever you do, Don't drink the water, It will give you the screaming shits!!!!
Dunkon

Biloxi, MS

#14 May 28, 2008
The trick is to use budros but paste before you poo, I call it my TESI but paste. It only burns a little then and gives the poo a more chocalating lube taste.
JUDY INABINETTE

United States

#15 Jun 8, 2008
WE ARE SERVED BY TESI AFTER IT WAS BOUGHT OUT ROUSE MARINA WATER CO. OUR BILL STARTED OUT BEING UNDER $10 MANY YEARS AGO. I BELIEVE I PAY CLOSE TO $40 FLAT RATE NOW......
IN ADDITION, WE BUY WATER FROM AN INDEPENDENT WATER CARRIER, USING IT FOR EVERYTHING BUT SHOWERING AND LAUNDRY. THAT IS EXPENSIVE.
I JUST DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DRINKING IT NOR DO I USE IT FOR MY ANIMALS. IT SMELLS OF BLEACH SOMETIMES AND I DON'T TRUST THE "PURENESS" OF IT. ALL OF THE PERSONNEL HAVE BEEN VERY POLITE AND NICE SO I REGRET HAVING TO MAKE THESE COMMENTS.

Ocean Springs

#16 Jun 9, 2008
JUDY INABINETTE wrote:
WE ARE SERVED BY TESI AFTER IT WAS BOUGHT OUT ROUSE MARINA WATER CO. OUR BILL STARTED OUT BEING UNDER $10 MANY YEARS AGO. I BELIEVE I PAY CLOSE TO $40 FLAT RATE NOW......
IN ADDITION, WE BUY WATER FROM AN INDEPENDENT WATER CARRIER, USING IT FOR EVERYTHING BUT SHOWERING AND LAUNDRY. THAT IS EXPENSIVE.
I JUST DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DRINKING IT NOR DO I USE IT FOR MY ANIMALS. IT SMELLS OF BLEACH SOMETIMES AND I DON'T TRUST THE "PURENESS" OF IT. ALL OF THE PERSONNEL HAVE BEEN VERY POLITE AND NICE SO I REGRET HAVING TO MAKE THESE COMMENTS.
You're getting off cheap. My bill is $76/month. If TESI is charging a flat rate, why are we paying different amounts?
Cant leave Vancleave

Gainesville, TX

#17 Jun 10, 2008
I don't think there is central sewer at Rouse Marina, only water.
GPE

Yazoo City, MS

#18 Jun 10, 2008
This morning my water smelled like a cat took a crap in it.
Happy to be here

Nampa, ID

#19 Jun 11, 2008
Well this past weekend, my water which I get through TESI smelled like something rotten! It smelled horrific and was brown! Sunday, 2 of my animals were sick. Both had upset stomachs and vomiting. Took both to the vet on Monday, and guess what, bacterial infection from drinking the water. Needless to say, I had quite a bill from the vet and the pharmacy. I myself had been drinking water from the tap about 3 weeks ago, and came down with a severe upset stomach that lasted 5 days. They keep telling us that it's safe enough to drink, but yet now my animals are getting sick from it. Hell, dogs drink from ditches, ponds, etc. and never get sick. Something has got to be done about the quality of the water. I am having the health department come out and test mine just to see exactly what is lurking in it. Who-ever has TESI, if you don't boil it or have bottled water, DONT DRINK IT FROM THE TAP!!!
muscle stick

Biloxi, MS

#20 Jun 12, 2008
I think we should all quit using the TESI water. I am sayin no bathing, bathroom breaks anything. I for one would rather bath in my own filth than the yellow water they provide, at least urine is sterile, and it is good for your skin. I have been doing this for a few days now and except for the odd yellow fumes coming off me its great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biloxi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amber Campton (Feb '13) Sun Yep 15
Caught on tape: Sheriff says auditor's probe 'f... Sun To tell the truth 10
Saying howdy Sep 27 Danny 1
Fear and Loathing at DMR Sep 25 Shrimping Mike 7
Movie studio under construction in Waveland Sep 21 Deborah Marshall 2
new here and lookin Sep 21 Cracker 2
Do you approve of Steven Palazzo as Representat... (May '12) Sep 19 twig 40

Biloxi Jobs

Biloxi People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE